Newcastle Fans Flock To Twitter To Discuss Possible Lucas Vasquez And Lucas Perez Signings

Newcastle has been linked with two top Spanish forwards this Sunday morning.

We have been linked with a possibility of getting Lucas Vasquez of Real Madrid on loan for the season and we have been linked also with Arsenal striker Lucas Perez.

We are said to be willing to bid £17M for Perez from Arsenal in a straight transfer.

The truth is we’d be lucky to sign either of these forwards who would certainly add to the class at Newcastle – but we do have Rafa Benitez and he could be a big draw for Spanish players.

Newcastle fans have taken to Twitter this morning to discuss both these players with the general feeling being we’d be lucky to sign either player – but either one would be a good signing for us.

• Jack Root

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:47 AM

I would prefer Giroud to Perez. Although I recognise we could probably secure Perez without selling Mitro.

• AncientC

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:51 AM

I get the impression Wenger may have decided this is his final season to push for the title. It is not like Arsenal to play hardball with players wanting to go with 1 year left on their deal. It has become a problematic culture at Arsenal over the years, but if Wenger isn’t going to be around next season – it’s not going to be his problem.

• Markaccus

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:52 AM

Been more than 12 hours and no medical, which on current events means these links are false 😀

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:57 AM

Agree with ancient at 38. Not sure why people keep saying that mitro should leave. Right now he isnt going to be good enough to lead the line as our no 1 striker but the thing is, he isn’t going to be. That pressure was on him unfairly when he arrived. Think it’s safe to say by bringing another striker, we would have mitro as our 3rd striker and someone who offers something different like a physical presence and allow us to play higher up the pitch. There aren’t many clubs with 3rd strikers better than mitro. By selling him and replacing him still leaves us short unless we are buying 2 strikers which doesn’t seem to be the case.

Like the idea of bringing in Perez, he was unfairly treated last year by Wenger whose done this to certain players over recent years. Talking about Campbell and according to some arsenal fans, podolski too.

• toontaff2

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:00 AM

Looking at The Mag and Chronic’s player ratings -how can supposed sports reporters get such different versions of the same thing? Are they on too much hospitality and missing half the game? Sure,many were not even in their seats at last season’s friendly at SJP. I’ll have my eye on you lot, next week 👿
    Mind Mitro only got 4 off both. Was he that bad?

• Jack Root

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:00 AM

Yes and Van Persie springs to mind.
    Didn’t he do well!!

• jimmygscot

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:01 AM

Any of the Arsenal players we have been linked with would walk straight into the team. I would have any of them except Wishire, he would be on the treatment table as often as SJD or RA.
    Please no more wingers.

• Markaccus

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:07 AM

Jimmyg

Wouldnt worry about wheelchair ever coming here. He gets a nose bleed as soon as he’s north of Watford. “Oh no! Im sooo far away from homey-womey”

• Munster Mag

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:07 AM

Toontaff I don’t think he raised a gallop

• Jack Root

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:07 AM

tt-
    It was a friendly and not everyone is a good judge of passages of play and individual performances.
    Throw in preconceived bias towards certain players and you realise merit marks are waste of time
    Danny Simpson a case in point.

• Markaccus

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:11 AM

Toontaff

Looking at the starting team yesterday, i think it was one last run out from the “unlikelies” so the result, and some of the performances are not really a worry for me. I’m expecting a more coherrent side on wednesday and next weekend. If Shelvey has no direct replacement, i’d expect rafa to tweak the formation yo compensate when he is missing. I wonder if thats why he has experimented with 3 at the back a couple of times. It allows slightly different players in mf.

• toontaff2

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:16 AM

I know it’s different for mere fans, like us, trying to judge the play, but it should be expected that journos are able to recognise which players did well.
    We may get JIB’s player ratings, later, when he surfaces? Unless he’s carried on knocking back the steins.
    I only saw the second half on Thump’s link, VIP, thought Aarons was a handful, Atsu, too. Jesus’s goal is surely a goal of the season contender? 🙄
    If Yedlin is injured, will Jesus/Manquillo start?

• toontaff2

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:18 AM

Mark, looking forward to the home friendly. It’s likely to be very close to our starting line up, there.

• toontaff2

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:19 AM

One of Mag/Chronic reckoned Darlow started because Elliott was ill.
    Not being Gingerist, but hope Pirlo had plenty of sunblock on.

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:40 AM

Morning lads toonfaff2 and hibbit feel a lot better today stayed off the drink last night anything knew happening or just all talk at the min

• hibbit

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:44 AM

morning RUNAWAY777
    thats a good lad, just the normal sunday paper drivel to drive us mad !!!!!!!!

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:46 AM

Toontaff
    I, I don’t understand players ratings at times – mainly the Chronicles – that’s why I try and give a unbaised rating on the players on here at each game I go to.
    so will be starting again next Sunday with the home friendly

• hibbit

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:51 AM

anybody know how many players we used yesterday i lost track of the changes !!!

• Munster Mag

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:52 AM

Cheers Charlie, always appreciated

• Ron Knee

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:56 AM

hibbit

Courtesy of NUFC.com:

Team: Darlow (Woodman 60), Yedlin (Manquillo 27), Clark (Mbemba 46), Lejuene (Merino 79), Dummett (Gamez 46), Colback (Shelvey 60), Murphy (Hayden 60), Diame (Perez 60), Ritchie (Aarons 46), De Jong (Atsu 60), Mitrovic (Gayle 60).
    Subs: All used.

• hibbit

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:58 AM

thank’s RON

• Ron Knee

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:59 AM

You’re welcome!

• Bobbybee

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:00 PM

Munster, sorry for not replying earlier mate, memory like a sieve.
    Re Rafa’s Way. Recommend it for any Toon fan mate. Goes through the ups and downs of the season and the thoughts of Rafa and the players as it goes,as we head towards promotion.
    Gives a very good insight into the mind of Rafa as well. You’ll know why I’m convinced he’s going nowhere the more you read it. He’s here for the duration mate and he’s got great plans for us.
    So, do I think it’s worth reading? Deffo! 🙂

• geordie157

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:04 PM

Nice bit of light reading…..sounds like all is not well. Too be honest with that squad and with some of the sides in the championship I can’t see sunderland finishing in the top half.

• Bobbybee

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:12 PM

Player ratings are difficult. Regardless of who makes them they’re still a matter of opinion and you seldom agree on all of them.
    Even Wor Charlie’s, who I know gives as fair a mark as the best, I sometimes think ‘were you watching the same game’? 🙂 It’s completely how you see it, right or wrong.
    I admire Charlie for even having a go, I couldn’t do it justice. I get too involved in the action to even try giving ratings. I can tell you who I think had a great game, or a pants game, but a figure on each one? I’ll leave that to Charlie!! 🙂

• toon kk

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:26 PM

Why is Mitrovic such a fans favourite? He’s never really improved since he got here, can’t hit a barn door and hasn’t got a lot of pace. Yes he’s still young, so are alot of far superior players. Rooney was in a different class at only 16. Get him sold and put the money towards a player who can make fans realise what a quality striker is all about.

• Lindisfarne

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:32 PM

Charlie in the Gallowgate

I look forward to your match reviews and player ratings. Always a good read and an alternative perspective for us Armchair Supporters.

• hibbit

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:33 PM

toon kk

other than on here i’m not sure he is

• Lindisfarne

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:36 PM

Toon kk

Someone else mentioned the World Cup next summer or U23 Euros, which may increase the possible transfer fee for Mitrovic.

• Bobbybee

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:41 PM

KK, you are right about Mitrovic’s current ability mate, he simply ain’t that good to be nice. I think people appreciate his commitment and passion though; his love for the shirt he wears.
    Plus of course, he’s still young. You can’t use Rooney as a yardstick though mate, or nobody over the age of 16 would pass! 🙂 Rooney was a freak. Every so often a very young kid breaks through like Rooney, but they’re the exception not the rule.
    Personally I don’t rate him either, not now, but I can see the sense in keeping him because he could come good. He has what it takes – except discipline and the ability to listen probably – but that’s what divides people. Should we keep him and gamble on him improving? Or write him off at 22 and regret it later?
    If we get a good offer on him, I’d be inclined to let him go. If not, I’d like to see him go out on loan where he can get a good run of games to impress Rafa by banging in goals.
    Tough call for any manager really.

• Jack Root

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:48 PM

Lindi
    I agree. When not at a toon game Charlie is well worth reading.
    Mitro is not a fan favourite amongst the toon army on the road. Unlike the armchair fans we all too often see the runs he should make but frequently doesn’t to get onto the end of balls into the box.
    Strangely watching him a few times Internationally he seems to make the runs he doesn’t with us.
    I’ve noticed that Benitez is increasingly frustrated by this. Given the right offer I suspect he will be on his way.

• Munster Mag

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:51 PM

Bobby managed to get through 20 pages of rafa when kids were out from under feet. Good stuff so far. A nice coffee in Costa and I was a happy boy

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:51 PM

Munster,
    Oooohhh, did someone say Murphy isn’t quick? That wouldn’t be you looking for a stick to bash Radar with would it. Some random off the map poster says Murphy’s got no pace and all of a sudden Rafas signed another dud.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:52 PM

Radar? Rafa

• toon kk

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:54 PM

Bobbybee
    I understand what you say about Rooney, by the time he was 18 the England team relied on him to a cirtain extent . But how much better will Mitro get? Personally if like you say the right offer comes in sell, the money could help strengthen now,after all we need to be a stronger team now.
    I mentioned a while ago about it would be a good idea if we held on to him a season or two of being loaned out to a championship club would probably be a good idea but we need a very good replacement in the meantime, more money which we don’t have.

• Bobbybee

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:58 PM

I certainly hope nobody takes my comments re Charlie as a dig in any way. Far from it. The smiley face tells its own story – or should to most – which was a way of explaining how two people watching a game can get marks so different, which was the point of the original post.
    As I said, I admire him for it and as I point out, I couldn’t do it myself and do it justice – which he does.
    I suspect he took it how i meant though, which was totally complimentary.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:02 PM

I see Munster keep mentioning that he’s reading Rafas book so that when he starts his relentless criticism he can say it’s done without bias.

• Jack Root

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:11 PM

Munster
    Just ignore him. This is the longest I’ve been on here for ages.
    I enjoyed the book and I think I have an even greater appreciation of the workings of Rafa.
    The overriding impression I got from the book is that it’s a joint programme very much with the fans on board. He is far more astute and well practiced in getting his own way with owners and boards than those that preceded him.
    I think I am somewhat more optimistic going forward.

• AncientC

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:11 PM

toonkk, how much better will Mitrovic get? We have discussed on this blog many times the comparisons of other players at the same stage of their careers – who then went on to get much better. Van Persie, Costa, Bas Dost. All three of those names I mentioned, you would have written off by now, at the same age as Mitrovic. In fact, Mitrovic is ahead of those 3 at the same age.