Rafa Benitez LInked With Top Argentine Forward In Spain

It seems that Rafa Benitez is relying on his old contacts in Spain to bring in the players he needs this summer.

Two of the players of the five already signed are Spanish there’s news today in Spanish outlet Mi Otra Liga.com that the Newcastle manager claiming Rafa Benitez has made contact with the agent of 22-year-old Argentine forward Angel Correa.

It seems Rafa would like to bring the 7 times capped Argentine International to Newcastle this summer and certainly, he would be an exciting signing for Newcastle.

He currently plays for Atletico Madrid, and he’s been playing in Spain for three years since signing on from San Lorenzo in the summer of 2014 for €7.5M on a five-year contract with the Madrid side.

Rafa simply had]s to bring some class into the squad during the rest of the summer transfer window and this lad would be an excellent signing for Newcastle.

Since he’s been at Atletico Angel has played in 83 games with 16 goals and 15 assists, and that’s not a bad return.

Correa’s agent also represents 26-year-old Real Madrid winger Lucas Vazquez, and we were linked with Lucas yesterday along with Arsenal’s 28-year-old Spanish striker Lucas Perez.

Maybe Newcastle would be able to bring in both players (Correa and Vasquez) to Newcastle, but that would be an unbelievable coup if Rafa were able to do that.

But we also must remember that Rafa is a world-class manager, and he can attract some outstanding players to Newcastle.

That’s especially true when he tells them his ambition is to transform Newcastle United into one of Europe’s top clubs in the foreseeable future.

What do you think?

• Reilly

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:12 PM

😆

• magspuggy

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:18 PM

😉

• martoon

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:19 PM

Not surprisingly, I suppose, we are slowly replacing the French contingent with a Spanish one – that’s now Gamez, Perez, Manquillo & Merino plus possibly more.

• TikiTakaAcca

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:20 PM

More of the ‘Rafa is world-class, he can attract class signings’.

YAWN.

What and Simeone isn’t…?

This will never happen. More chance of signing Wilshere/Walcott & Gibbs in a triple raid.

• G

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:21 PM

Good player. I think this was the same lad whom was being compared to Carlos Tevez a few years back due to his low centre of gravity and striking style.

• Pitmatic

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:22 PM

Bobby

My understanding was that Toney scored seven goals in two separate loan spells last season pre- and post-Christmas, so 14 in total. Which is decent enough.

The key thing anyway for all the kids on loan is getting game time; plenty of them don’t, and that’s when you start to worry. I really hope both him and Arma make it, but as Jay said, it might be that they have to do it a roundabout route. It’s so tough to break into PL teams now.

• martoon

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:25 PM

TikiTakaAcca @4 – Of course there are other world class managers but Ed’s point is now we have one it does help to attract players. I know I would rather play for Rafa than McClaren or Pardew!

• bladeuser

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:27 PM

Stop p@@@@@@ about nufc and get a top class striker in two weeks to go and nothing
    Even old rubber face harry is right
    What’s the hold up I can only think fat pig won’t give rafa the necessary funds
    Like I said relegation fodder lose a good manager because he won’t stick around if he isn’t getting the support and I for one won’t blame him
    FAT PIG ASH OUT

• Pitmatic

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:29 PM

Tiki

Murphy looks quick enough to me. Not sure why you keep insisting he’s SLOW. The fact that you also think Townsend is SLOW confirms that there might be something off with your speedo. Have you checked your internet connection?

• TyneMouth

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:35 PM

With Jesus, Mohamed, and Isaac, already on the books, a little Angel would be in good company!

Plus there’s also an Adam, Emmanuel, and Jacob already wearing the sacred stripes…

• LGFUAD21

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:36 PM

Admittedly I am becoming concerned by the lack of established signings. Rafa pulled out some surprises last season but overall we went and bought established championship performers.

Hoping all the penny pinching has been to save the top dollar for some big guns.

Should give up on this keeper hunt. Elliott and Darlow are good enough and I dont see why we want to get rid of Krul with Woodman there to slot in. I’d say that shouldnt be priority.

Midfield looks relatively well stocked but we definitely need more options at full back, a more established winger (someone of Ritchie’s ilk again) and a top draw striker.

• G

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:38 PM

I have heard a few people complain about the pace of the game in general at Mainz. To be fair they were only playing a friendly, in scorching heat, with high humidity and the ref was insisting on stopping the match for water breaks (very sensible of him too). Neither side looked good to me, but I didn’t see anything that raised too many alarm bells for me.

• ShirebrookToon

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:42 PM

😆 no chance of signing this lad 😆

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:45 PM

From what I’ve seen of Murphy so far in the friendly’s he’s looked pretty good to me, he’ll be a star in the coming season and Rafa will probably sign his brother in January.

• jayphoto

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:52 PM

If sign all 3 of Correa, Vasquez and Perez im afraid im going to have to start having those unrealistic expectations the media keep mentioning…
    Personally can’t see us taking any of them, Vasquez I think could get a champions league move, can’t see Athletico letting Correa go whilst under embargo and Perez is 29 next month and can’t see the club dropping £15m on a 29 year old
    Reckon we’ll definitely see a couple more la liga players in tho as Rafas contacts run so deep there

• jayphoto

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:58 PM

LGFAUD – personally think Elliot looks fine, im no real fan of his but hes a good PL second choice keeper. Wouldn’t want Darlow near a premier league fixture tbh, possibly the least intelligent keeper I can remember us having for decisions. Wouldn’t want Krul either, guy hasn’t played well for 3 seasons and looked below Eredivisie standard last year…
    Saw we’re linked with the greek lad from Udinese, and Adrian from west ham. Think both probably better than what we have. Distribution seems to be a big thing for Rafa, still wouldn’t shock me to see us try and take Bravo on loan. We still have the movement for 1 EPL club loan

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:59 PM

After watching the Mainz match I wasn’t very impressed. Wasn’t good but wasn’t bad either. Quite boring match tbh. We gave away the ball sloppily plenty of times something we have to stop doing ASAP. Hayden surprisingly was one main culprits of this, surely it must be rustiness. We are crying out for a proper CAM and a clinical Striker. We need reinforcements pronto and I really hope for all our sake that Rafa has them lined up and been saving the pennies to land two quality players now.