Newcastle Well Positioned To Sign Lucas Perez But Unwilling To Pay £13.4M Asking Price


The Evening Standard reported last night that Rafa Benitez made an inquiry into the availability of Lucas Perez last week, but the club has made no formal bid for the 28-year-old Spanish striker so far.

Perez was fed up in London last season because he didn’t get the playing time he expected and even Arsene Wenger has admitted he didn’t give the Spaniard enough playing time,

The result is that Perez wants to leave and initially he wanted to return to Spain where he had been playing for Deportivo before the move last year to Arsenal.

Because of the money situation at Newcastle, the news is that Newcastle would prefer a loan move with an option to buy Perez next summer, but it seems the Gunners would like a permanent move for their player.

There was also an update on the situation yesterday in IBTimes UK who report that the fee Arsenal wants is €15M (£13.4), and that’s €6M less than the €21M (£18.75M) Arsenal paid Deportivo for him last summer.

Surely we can afford £13.4M for a player this season, but Standard Sport is reporting Newcastle are not willing to match that valuation of the player.

Perez was annoyed when his number 9 shirt was given to new arrival of Alexandre Lacazette without Lucas even being told.

The Arsenal manager after the 2-1 defeat to Benfica said Perez was still in his plans for next season, but that’s probably just political at this stage.

Lucas’ agent is Rodrigo Fernandez Lovelle, and he expects Perez to leave the Gunners this season, and he had this to say in the Standard yesterday:

“If he (Wenger) said Lucas was leaving he would have to cut the price for him to exit.”

“It is logical to say he’s staying. He is a good businessman.”

Perez’ number one goal for next season is to get sufficient playing time, so he has a decent chance of making the Spanish World Cup squad for the tournament in Russia next summer, and he would get that at Newcastle.

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

9 comments so far

  • toontaff2

    Aug 1, 2017 at 7:10 AM

    Comment #1

    In 7 years, he has scored 48 goals. Never played for Spain. Why would he suddenly play for Spain and/or become a prolific goalscorer. Is he really any better than what we have? I hope he is not our marque/marquee signing 😮

    2
  • toontaff2

    Aug 1, 2017 at 7:14 AM

    Comment #2

    At least we won’t have to put up with David Prutton or the Channel 5 ‘highlights’ show – they were advertising it on tv, last night. It is possible, but unlikely, we’ll see the terrible refereeing, as well. Mind, that Keith Stroud is returning to action, no doubt after education on the laws of the game.

    3
  • lochinvar

    Aug 1, 2017 at 7:18 AM

    Comment #3

    Take him on loan until the January window and then if it’s going well for us and Perez sign him with part payment then and the rest in the summer knowing that we are re- established as a top Premier league club.

    Or maybe Arsenal need the money as Kroekner has set up a pay per view TV Channel to watch big game being slaughtered – avoid the burgers at the Emirates

    1
  • giimps

    Aug 1, 2017 at 7:27 AM

    Comment #4

    Apparently Stroud was unsure so discussed the penalty incident with his fourth official and linesmen and he took one of their advice, at least they’re all back now and hopefully nothing like this happens again.
    It was a surreal experience though at the game, virtually the whole ground had different ideas why it was disallowed and some thought at the time it was a new FA directive, half time and sky sports came and went ,still there was discussion about it…….it wasn’t really until after the game (which we luckily won anyway) that everyone knew he just got it wrong (as did they all)

    1
  • Tenbytoon

    Aug 1, 2017 at 7:43 AM

    Comment #5

    Once again dithering over a couple of million quid, he be another one who slipped away, walking right into relegation again!!!!!!!!

    2
  • geordiemark

    Aug 1, 2017 at 8:19 AM

    Comment #6

    just pay the damn money for him and get the players what will keep us in the league, if none of this happens that’s it as far as I am concerned, we need 5 top quality signings or its relegation simple as that

    3
  • Bryan

    Aug 1, 2017 at 8:20 AM

    Comment #7

    If we can’t afford 14m for a striker from Arsenal then we are in deep trouble. If money is so tight how on earth did Rafa agree to stay? Unless he was lied to. As much as I dislike Happy Redknapp, what he said yesterday was spot on. Just when we thought things had changed for the better we are all going to get kicked in the teeth again. Just you watch, Rafa will be gone by mid September

    1
  • NEWEXPATMAGPIE

    Aug 1, 2017 at 9:28 AM

    Comment #8

    If we don,t get him! Someone else will !

    1
  • Davies

    Aug 1, 2017 at 2:02 PM

    Comment #9

    63 career goals at the age of 28 makes me less bothered if someone else buys him. He scored one league goal for Arsenal last season. That’s 1 goal in 11 games. I’d put money on Gayle doing better.

    Personally, I’d pay the extra for Batshuayi. If Chelsea are willing to sell him, of course. If not, a cheeky punt on Remy couldn’t hurt.

    0

You must log in to post a comment.