Newcastle Fans Quickly Taking To This Impressive New Arrival At The Club

Newcastle fans and even our local journalists are quickly taking to Mikel Merino who not only looks like a good player in the making but seems an excellent young man.

He speaks good English, and we are looking forward to him playing for Newcastle United in the future.

It looks it’s between him and 22-year-old Isaac Hayden – another impressive young man at Newcastle – as to which player starts in the holding midfield position next season.

It’s always good when you get somebody coming in like Mike – we cannot believe how mature and assured this young man is.

When I was 21 I kept walking straight into walls – not knowing exactly was going on in life.

Mikel Merino at his press conference yesterday

Mikel gave a press conference yesterday, and he came across so well – Rafa certainly brings in top men as well as top players.

Here are some tweets about Mikel.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 5, 2017 at 9:44 AM

Jail…whether you buy our kit at your local store or in the Far East (as long as they are genuine) they come from the same place…

If you don’t buy Chinese quality then you will limit the chance of fraud…

It’s perfectly up to you

Yo…as much as I appreciate your opinion like the next guy I just don’t agree about Adrian being better than Krul…

Krul might be done here…I am just not sure why. Hoping for something better than what we are being linked with

• Toondog2

Aug 5, 2017 at 9:47 AM

If all the new signings turn out to be as good, then Rafa will have been living up to his reputation as a top Coach who is business very astute as well and we may well surprise many Teams this season.
    I think the 25 player squad is taking a good shape . Need another striker but perhaps Rafa is quietly getting on with the business ,still another month before the transfer window closes
    HWTL

• bettyswallocks

Aug 5, 2017 at 9:49 AM

Well done Ed…….. To show such resilience and determination to keep this fantastic blog going during such adversity shows what a true warrior you are. Keep going wit ead down lad yer’ll beat this thing.

• bettyswallocks

Aug 5, 2017 at 9:54 AM

Jesper…….. I think Jail was hinting that perhaps opting for a cheaper version of the shirt was maybe not a good idea if you haven’t factored in the safety aspect. Compromising kid’s safety to save a bit of money is perhaps a bit short sighted. Just a thought like.

• TyneMouth

Aug 5, 2017 at 9:56 AM

Dr Ed.

Very sorry to hear of your misfortunes, I wish you well and hope your resilience prevails.

I have followed your blog for many years, during my time in the far East and in the USA, it is very satisfying to read the current news, gossip and supporter’s opinions when you are thousands of miles away from home.

Thank you for creating and publishing such an excellent blog. You have given an enormous amount of enjoyment and involvement to an astonishing large number people, not just on Tyneside, but around the world.

I wish you the very best of good luck, you deserve it.

‘keep on, keeping on’…

• WWSBRD

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:06 AM

jesper
    Krul has never been great with the ball he’s just a shot stopper and his progress stopped as soon as Harper left since then he’s stagnated until his long term injury where in he couldn’t break into Ajax ahead of a kid and then didn’t get great review at AZ either

He’s on huge wages, doesn’t offer what Rafa wants and hasn’t been great for years…its a shame but it happens. Tbh am not sure why u think so highly of him? I like him but I can see why his time is up

• AncientC

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:16 AM

Krul has not played regular football in 3 years, it is far too long to be out of the game, at PL level anyway.

Elliot is another ticking time-bomb… but as Elliot recently got a long term deal and nobody else is likely to want him on his current wages/risk, it looks like he is staying. That leaves Benitez with a decision over Darlow.

• Jib

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:23 AM

Speaking on that organ of football insight “Talksport”
    Dean Saunders predicts a car crash for Newcastle
    He says with only 4 signings (it’s actually 5) Rafa will
    walk

Dean Saunders
    c.v.

Probably one the most capped internationals in the UK
    (He was capped 75 times at senior level for Wales between 1986 and 2001
    unfortunately in that time Wales never qualified for anything !)
    In his playing career he has played in England ,Wales, Turkey ,Portugal
    His best gig was as a striker at Liverpool
    42 games 11 goals 🙁

When he tried managing / coaching he seemed to have it cracked when Wolves appointed him head honcho in 2013

He lasted 10 months
    followed by Crawley Town , Chesterfield then punditry

Like a lot of his countrymen he can talk up a shitstorm,
    but it’s backed by very little sense.

• AncientC

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:29 AM

I don’t believe Benitez will walk myself, but even if he did, I still couldn’t see relegation on the cards. Benitez would be leaving behind a well drilled unit that can defend. That would lead to a 2nd manager bounce. The problems would then arise the following season.

• geordiemark

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:33 AM

I think rafa will walk and no one can blame the bloke if he did, no doubt he was promised money and really Ashley is poison to work for end of the day if we do get relegated this season its down to Ashley no one else

• toonincheek

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:13 AM

I think Rafa will stick to his word and stay provided
    MikeA sticks to his word.

I suspect the problem for Rafa may be the double
    talk so often adopted by NUFC spin doctor.

To promise Rafa “all the money generated from
    promotion” sounds good, yet excludes the profit
    from previous windows. I’m thinking specifically
    of Sissoko.

Plus – Rafa has to move on some players no longer
    required to make space/finance available for the new
    players he wants, and that is proving more difficult
    than expected.

• kakaobi

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:19 AM

Can only see Rafa walking if Spain national side or a very big club with very ambitious owners that want to win the league came in for him since he’s already managed Chelsea just leaves Man City so can’t see that happening. Just hope Spain do well in competitions

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:19 AM

I cut and pasted Martoon’s comment and sent it to NewsNow.
    If we all did it, maybe we could kick up a ‘shitstorm’ 😆 – I should have translated it into Welsh – that would confuse the buggers 😮

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:21 AM

JIB, waiting for Wales to qualify for a tournament, was worse than waiting for the Toon to win something!
    Maybe there’ll be another bus or two, along soon. FA Cup to go with Wales making another finals?

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:25 AM

NewsNow contains such wonderful articles – Chronicle, Mag, national papers, Sky and best of all, HITC 👿

• magspuggy

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:31 AM

Glad to see you still knocking the posts out
    Ed. I will sign up today just because you asked us to do so.
    I never used snoozenow and wont use this new thingybob but will join it to show my support.

Keep up the good fight you do us geordies proud fella.

• Jib

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:34 AM

Toontaff
    Talking up a storm isn’t neccessarily a bad thing.
    Scott Quinnell can talk the arse off of a donkey , but , in there , is a lot of sense.
    When I saw Saunders as a pundit for the Euros in France , he seemed a nice
    bloke , but he talked pure crap.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:45 AM

betty….I can read what Jail wrote…and as you can see I replied to his comment!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:48 AM

Yo…I haven no problem with an upgrade on Krul…as long as it’a a actually upgrade…I don’t see the GK we are being linked with being an actual upgrade!

Reina is the only one who his vastly better and have PL experience…Adrian can’t even get the #1 shirt at WHam on a regular basis…Thanks but no thanks!

• bladeuser

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:51 AM

Any pundit can say what he wants at the end of the day it’s mostly guess work.
    But some pundits are better than others that’s where educated guess work comes into it
    Then there is bloggers like me and a few others who know what we are talking about ie predicting nufc relegation in 2014/2015 as the team was poor and in 2016/2017 we predict it again as the team has no depth no top strikers average defenders and at this moment a slightly better midfield
    Now here is where I agree with Mr Saunders and all the rest who are in the real world RAFA will walk soon as this club has zero ambition but to finish 4th bottom and rafa has way more ambition than that
    So magspussy as you see I have thrown one full stop in there for you
    ASH OUT

• Legolas

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:57 AM

Hi Ed, welcome back.

I am not IT savvy. Do I need to sign up to something. I have this blogged saved on my I phone and just refresh it each day. Will that be enough ?

• Jib

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:09 PM

bladeuser
    The time you were most vociferous about relegation I recall was the Carver nightmare season .

You were WRONG then.

We hardly got a peep out of you in Supermacs relegation season until it was clear to all , we were doomed – even so , but for the Toffees not turning up against the filth Rafa would have saved us.

In short predicting relegation before a ball is kicked is fatuous at best , stupid at worst.
    To actually gloat and boast that you did so , is beyond prickish.

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:09 PM

JIB, he must have read your link. …….
    Small steps.
    Maybe the odd ,,,,,,
    Or am I being too ambitious?
    🙄

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:11 PM

Keep it up, ED!
    You wouldn’t get such comedy gold, elsewhere.

• jimmysmith

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:12 PM

Yay!!!!!!! Ed’s back with a vengeance. I never expected any less to be honest.

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:12 PM

With 20,000 empty pink seats, last night, predictable we would suffer a few on here.

• WWSBRD

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:14 PM

jesper
    If he’s not number 1 at West Ham not sure how he’s managed to rack up 106 league appearances in 4 years with them? Think ur confusing him with someone else tbh

Krul has barely played in the last two years in comparison

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:15 PM

JIB you talkin abot relegatin you no nowt goat moofed foolyou wastnyor munee supoting that fatt ash you stoopid sheep 😆

• toon kk

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:16 PM

Just logged on and read a few posts,
    What’s the crack about Ed and newsnow is Ed thinking of closing the blog down .. hope not i love this site, best nufc info and view blog going..
    Stay strong Ed and I respect any disision you make can’t be easy.

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:16 PM

Jimmy, ED’s a battler – Toon legend!

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:22 PM

That newsnow – I put in nufcnews to find it – 3 years ago, or something – it was useful, in that I found the Blog on it – some may wish I hadn’t 😛
    It links all the stories/sites in one place, but, to be honest, most of the other sites are rubbish.
    When the Blog was noton there the other day, I just started going directly to the Blog home page, accessing recent stories, without newsnow.

• magspuggy

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:23 PM

I wonder who the bright spark was that came up with the red seats idea.
    They have not aged well and like the team are all washed out.
    😉

• Jib

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:23 PM

toon kk

You have my permission to scroll back and read the posts and catch up.

Idle bugger

• lesh

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:25 PM

AncientC

Rafa walks and the players’ll respond with new manager bounce?

Maybe you’ve overlooked the fact that Ashley runs the show and he oversaw the appointments of the cream of football management in Shearer and Carver?

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:27 PM

JIB, you realise Deano was born in Swansea 😆 ‘Udders9 will be after you.
    Was a Welsh midget striker, though might have had some Belgian in his family tree.
    I seem to remember him being involved with Wales when Toshack was manager.
    Fair to say, his management career has been pretty abysmal.

• bladeuser

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:28 PM

Jibbrish
    Of course in your eyes and some others who know sod all carvers tenure was a success as he kept us up be it on the last day against a pub team because that’s how west ham played
    That’s your ambition right there old chap
    As for predicting that’s what it means I’ll tell you what should I predict after say 34 games when nufc are in the bottom four that they will be relegated no because that would be prickish by the way that’s not in the Oxford English dictionary
    But you are (Demented)
    ASH OUT

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:30 PM

The mackems will have impressed some posters, with their ability to boycott the opening game of the season.
    Looked like a dodgy penalty decision, to get them a point.

• toon kk

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:30 PM

Jib
    Your the one who doesn’t work and sits in front of your computer all day, cheeky sod!
    I’m Concerned about Ed not a looser like you.

• magspuggy

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:34 PM

Taff
    Was it a boycott
    Honestly i thought that was quite full for the first half at least 🙂

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:34 PM

Please .’;:?!,’- – I can’t take any more of those unpunctuated rants – I need to pause for breath – unpunctuated laughter is not good for my ticker.