Breaking News – Magpies Leading The Race To Sign Lucas Perez – Willing To Pay £13.4M

We saw a report in the Sunderland Echo today that Spanish sources were reporting that Newcastle is now in the lead to sign Lucas Perez of Arsenal, but we couldn’t find the Spanish source for that story.

We eventually found it, and it’s from TV Galicia in Spain who have reported that Newcastle United are leading the race to sign Arsenal striker Lucas Perez.

The report is that Newcastle now lead in the race to sign Perez but the really big news is that Newcastle is now willing to pay the full £13.4M fee Arsenal are asking for their striker.

Perez is available for transfer, and maybe Newcastle can get the deal done quickly this week with Deportivo and Fenerbahce the other two European clubs interested in signing him but unlikely to be able to pay the full £13.4M fee for the player.

Newcastle now in the lead to sign Lucas Perez

It’s interesting because we had just put out a report a little earlier today saying that Newcastle must have a decent chance of signing the striker before the season starts on Sunday.

That was based on the fact he could play in the highly visible Premier League next season and for a world-class Spanish manager in Rafa Benitez (and a top club like Newcastle).

That would surely help him in his goal to make the Spanish squad for the World Cup in Russia next summer.

Perez didn’t play much last season for the Gunners, but in the 21 games he did play he scored 7 goals and 5 assists – a very decent return.

He would be a terrific signing for us!

What do you think?

• Bambams

Aug 8, 2017 at 7:56 AM

Ed

I hope this is accurate but I can’t see us making a ‘fast signing before Sunday’.

Hope I am wrong but it seems to take Charnley weeks to remember his PayPal logging in details…..

• OneAlanShearer

Aug 8, 2017 at 7:57 AM

Ed I agree perfect for us. I suggested him way before he was mentioned as we have a history of taking players on that have not quite cut it at clubs and made use of them.
    My list of targets at the start of window for striker was Perez, king, iheanacho, Gray and Hernandez. 2 gone. I just hope we don’t miss out on this one.

• hellodjo

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:05 AM

This guy is the missing piece in the jigsaw, he’s not a young prospect or one dimensional striker, but a top class player in his prime with desire and purpose (to make the Spanish team). If we sign him I’d be over the moon, I don’t think some on here realise just how huge this guy would be for us I rate him higher than any other strikers we were linked with at any price

• Markaccus

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:06 AM

I’d be very happy of this is true, and it comes off. 1 goal every 3 games, with limited game time and no real “run” in the first team would suggest he is a natural scorer.

No doubt we’ll get a couple of “blah blah arsenal reject blah” but i would guess most will be positive about this.

• Mr Funk

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:12 AM

Last time when it was suggested that Rafa was not happy with how tranfers were progressing, I think we signed Murphy and Manquillo
    Hopefully history will repeat itself and we can make a couple if signings, with Lucas Perez being one of them.

Just as a suggestion what do people think of taking either Lewis Baker or Patrick Roberts on loan?

• Tsunki

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:15 AM

It would certainly give our resident forwards a push to improve as there’s very little competition or incentive ATM.

• OneAlanShearer

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:15 AM

Mr funk. Not seen a lot of either of them. As long as rafa gets what he feels he needs to balance the squad will be happy

• hellodjo

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:18 AM

Going off the positions they play I’d say no, we don’t need more wingers and if we’re to bring in another midfielder I’d like someone more experienced and real quality like Delph, he could take over the mantle in MF from shelvey if required

• Toonboy

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:18 AM

Would love it if we got Perez, love it!!!

• DicBDoonToon

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:21 AM

Final League Position: 11th
    Final No. of Points: 46
    League Cup Round: Last 16
    FA Cup Round: Semi-final
    Player of the season: Lejune
    Top Goal Scorer: Mitrovic
    No. of goals for TGS: 15

• toon kk

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:21 AM

Progress let’s pray for progress, hopefully we’ll get him signed up, howway Charnless get your cheque book out.

• SA Toon

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:22 AM

I certainly hope this is true! In this crazy transfer market the asking price seems incredibly low. Surely you snap him up, pay the price and thank your lucky stars. When one considers the amounts other clubs are paying for players, £13,4 million seems like a complete bargain. Let’s get this done now!

• Colombus

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:24 AM

Mr. Funk I think that both of them would be exciting signings. Im not sure I would have them on loan though. Possible to buy maybe? I also think that we might have missed out on the loan with Fosuh Mensah..

• lochinvar

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:25 AM

Whether or not the Sunderland ( remember them ? ) Echo and Spanish TV are reliable sources of information is questionable.
    However if the direction of the wind has changed and Charnley can do a deal in four days remains to be seen. It’s one deal that would seem to suit everyone – Perez, Arsenal, Wenger, Rafa , NUFC and the fans. It might even cheer up Sky, Talk Sport and the rest .
    Just hope Charnley knows where the bottles with the loose change are .

• catchy in norway

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:33 AM

what is our best team with our current squad.

would Lascelles make anyone’s stating 11?.
    should he start just because he is captain?.
    we are a few days away from the start of the season and i think this is the most important question no one is asking.

• dig-n-dig22

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:42 AM

Lucas Perez is tailor made for shelvey . Perez anticipates really well and loves the early ball behind the back 4..this would be our best signing in years.

• martoon

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:43 AM

A few of you must be confident as you have him as your top goal scorer 😀

• dig-n-dig22

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:53 AM

CATCHY#16
    T B H, I don’t think Dummit would make any Prem 11. I don’t think he impressed in Championship at all, I think we will have problems at the back.

• WLtoon

Aug 8, 2017 at 9:05 AM

We are desperate for another striker and Perez would be the final piece in the jigsaw for me. Im praying this happens.

• Black'n'White'n'BroonAllOver

Aug 8, 2017 at 9:41 AM

Catchy @16, I think we’ll have another club captain this season.

Preseason suggests Rafa may try a few options but I think possible nominees are – Clarke (he’ll play every week), Dummet (if we don’t sign an upgrade LB he’ll play every week and Rafa trusts him), new experienced GK if we sign one (Reina would have been given the armband the moment he signed).

Lascelles will be battling Lejeune for a starting spot I feel so can’t see logic of him being captain

In future I suspect he’ll give it to Merino or Shelvey. Think he likes the idea of Shelvey as VC.

• pablos left foot

Aug 8, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Ok! Optimistic, definitely going to get him, and by Sunday!!
    Tsunki…mind if l ask what the guitar is in your site photo?

• mactoon

Aug 8, 2017 at 10:17 AM

If it’s true that the club is willing to pay the £13 million (and that’s a BIG leap of faith) Perez is just the type of player we need so just get it done Charnley as it would go a long way to keeping Rafa happy too.

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 8, 2017 at 10:19 AM

Saw the news late last night and thought I was already dreaming. Would love this to happen. It is possible and suits all parties. He’d be a hit here for sure. The deal would show our intent and complete our squad. If we manage to do it all we would need would be one more CAM and LB but that could even wait til January.

• mikeashleyisamackem

Aug 8, 2017 at 12:23 PM

Breaking news
    Pffft
    I have been reading this storie for over a week
    Jesus talk about clutching at straws