Alan Shearer’s Surprising Statement On Rafa Staying At Newcastle

A couple of weeks ago we seemed to be doing quite well in the transfer market after we made a couple of surprise signings – right-back Javier Manquillo of Atletico Madrid and holding midfielder Mikel Merino of Borussia Dortmund.

Both were Spanish players basically signed out of the blue.

We had also just signed 22-year-old Norwich winger Jacob Murphy, so things seemed to be looking up a little bit.

But since then we have not signed anybody and appear to be short of real money to spend in the transfer market, and we still have players like Krul, Riviere, Lazaar, Haidara, and Saivet to sell to get their wages off the salary list for the coming season.

Alan Shearer – not sure Rafa will be manager at Christmas

Alan Shearer has been interviewed on talkSPORT today, and he’s not certain Rafa will be the Newcastle manager come Christmas.

And the seems to be based on owner Mike Ashley not keeping his promises he made in May this year to his world-class manager.

Alan was asked if Benitez will still be the Newcastle manager at Christmas, this is what Alan told TalkSPORT:

“I hope so, but I don’t think we can guarantee that.” “I think there’s definitely a frustration there from him, having spoken to him.”

“They’ve been in for a lot of players and they’ve missed out on a lot of players.” “They have tried, but for different reasons they haven’t got some of the players in that they’ve wanted.”

“They’ve been too late, other clubs have gone ahead and beaten them to it.” “Rafa will have them hard to beat, he’ll have them organised and well-drilled, but Rafa wants to be bigger and better than that.”

“He went to the Championship knowing that his job was the get the club back into the Premier League, then thinking he could go one-step further and build and get bigger and better.”

“That’s what he wants and if he’s not able to do that he won’t be there for much longer.”

“He will have to have signs of bringing more players in, and I think it’s a big two or three weeks regarding bringing a few more in. He needs that, there’s no doubt about it.”

“He says he needs a new striker – he might need two – he needs a fullback, and he also wants an experienced goalkeeper. He says they’re working hard to bring those players in and hopefully they can.”

“I think we’ll know a lot in a month’s time and if he doesn’t get what he wants then you might see it starting to unravel.”

We’re sure some fans have the exact same opinion as Alan, but we are hoping that Mike Ashley can come in and get the job done in the next 22 days and give Rafa three good players by the end of this month.

If we can do that and also get a decent start to the season things will start looking up on Tyneside.

That’s what we are hoping for.

Personal – update on NewsNow status:

After receiving an email on Friday night that I was to have my blog suspended for two weeks because of journalistic concerns – I wrote a personal letter to the top people at NewsNow over the weekend based on the quality of my articles and also on compassionate grounds because of my health status.

Today I got a response from Managing Editor Andy Beill of NewsNow saying in short that “Simply put, this has not been dealt with in the best way, and a suspension was not a necessary course of action.”

Also, I can tell you on a personal level the email Andy sent me increases my respect for the human spirit in people – it was a heartfelt message from the Managing Editor.

This reflects so well on Andy as a person and on NewsNow as an organization.

I am delighted to be able to continue having my articles published on NewsNow and will continue do the best I can to make the pieces the best they can be.

Thanks to everybody for their support.

And to think I thought I looked good bald – but my beautiful wife Madeline disagrees – and hey – she’s the boss – grow the hair Ed!

• Obertans_on_roids

Aug 9, 2017 at 3:52 PM

If Rafa walks Ashley can bloody follow him!

• nut meg

Aug 9, 2017 at 3:54 PM

Great news Ed…delighted for you and I hope that puts a bit of a spring in ya step…chin up.

• Budge123

Aug 9, 2017 at 3:59 PM

Good news Ed.
    To be fair I have no idea or indeed any interest in what News Now is!

Keep smiling at least now you must be saving time on shaving!

• ilovetoon8788

Aug 9, 2017 at 3:59 PM

the end of last season ended with so much optimism.

I don’t know why Ashley did what he did with Rafa and played him out. it’s unbelievable. and just look at rafa’s comments yesterday. he’s clearly frustrated and completely let down.

I don’t believe Rafa will stay next season regardless of what happens this season.
    it’s so disheartening and loss for words…

• Shoulders knees

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:02 PM

Ed,

Some good news at last, we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers,
    All the best.

• AndyMac

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:03 PM

Cant imagine what Newsnow were thinking bearing in mind the amount of pure clickbait headlines that appear on the site every day ? Pleased to hear the chemo’s ended Ed and by the time we get to October we’ll be walking the league, Rafa will have been MOTM twice and you’ll be on Cloud 9 ?

In God we trust or for all aspects NUFC it’ll be Rafa !

• Budge123

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:04 PM

I love Toon – nothing has actually happened yet!
    Worry about it when it / if it does!

As a positive viewpoint.
    Imagine Rafa gets us to say 15th this season – imagine what he / we can achieve with Sky money to spend next season. He won’t walk after putting the graft of the last 2 seasons in at that point.

• Tsunki

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:04 PM

I doubt the blog has suffered a bigger loudmouthed blustering ranter than bobbybee, who rhymes on in vein- popping form like a pensioner in a council office – his last red-faced outburst follows my counter that he’s making up stuff about there being a groundswell of negativity, and that this blog is of a different mindset to fans at the matches. Baloney –

“Like I say, disagree with a reasonable argument, but don’t tell anybody what they can or can’t post. It ain’t your blog big mouth. Get it? Not yours pal. Ours. All of us. You don’t dictate to anybody you clown. Nobody listens anymore to your spiteful bile.”

GET IT? NOT YOURS PAL!!!! OURS OURRRRRS! AGHHHHHHHH

A huge balloon. Where did forbid opposing views?? I believe you are wearing a those pants bobster! 🙂 Your overbearing treatises on imaginary conspiracies are stifling. Try actually reading the posts before going off on a lunatic ravefest you klaxon-mouthed clamourer ha ha 😀

• magspuggy

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:06 PM

God bless ya ED.
    Keep fighting fella . Glad to see snoozenow saw it correctly and you got it sorted.
    Onwards and upwards

• wynsleap

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:07 PM

Well done Ed. That must be a weight off your mind.
    Oh and stop worrying about Rafa – he’s staying……for now anyway. He knows we are all on his side and maybe we can ALL put some pressure on our tight ar***d owner.

• Our Toon

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:11 PM

Plenty of love on here today

• Budge123

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:13 PM

I find Bobby ‘ s post informative for the most part.
    He does go off the deep end a bit easily but each to their own!

I’d rather that than the responses from many on here based on historical disagreement.
    Mr Tuff and Jib have been having a feud since Rafa was a lad for example.
    Now that is tiresome to read.

• Shoulders knees

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:14 PM

Our Toon

Nice to see for a change 😉

• Abbott

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:18 PM

Great news about newsnow, keep up the good work

• hibbit

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:19 PM

Tsunki
    maybe you should look back and read some of your own posts.
    if don’t like Bobbies posts don’t read them.

• magscar

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:24 PM

Ed

Good result with Newsnow and a sensible reappraisal. Wondered if they had relented as Blog threads have still a alerted us to been featuring since you alerted us to their stance.

• RUNAWAY777

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:24 PM

You tell them hibbit good to be home bro

• Jib

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:25 PM

Hey Ed you look a bloody sight better than Shearer and you’ve got decades on him !
    😀

• Tsunki

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:26 PM

Helpful hint there hibbit but i don’t mind bobby’s posts when he talks football it’s when he lectures others on what they should think, then goes off ranting to others when they disagree. I just find that hypocritical and unnecessarily superior. It’s a blog of opinion and yes there’s a few spanners but overall it isn’t as bobby says a nest of poisonous negativity.

Btw feel free to dredge up some of my old posts there must be some beauties 🙂

• martoon

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:27 PM

Good news Ed – I like to think a few stinging Emails from a few of us bloggers might also have helped!

• Jib

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:31 PM

Is Tsunki on chemo as well ?
    Jeez talk about OTT

• Spoof

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:32 PM

So for all those who accuse us realists of being pessimists how do you react to Raga stating that he is frustrated, his words not mine, good manager or not, we are in for a monumental battle.

• Ron Knee

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:34 PM

So Colback to walk the plank?

• Tsunki

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:36 PM

Jib that bandwagon needs an MOST

Well done Ed reason sometimes prevails.

• Tsunki

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:37 PM

MOT

• Tsunki

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:38 PM

Hang on, what’s that about chemo, jib? Are you really that stupid? Oh wait.

• Jib

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:39 PM

Reading Rafa between the lines I tend to agree with sweatybetty.
    Rafa is warning us that some of the “pragmatic” play this season
    is going to test the patience of the fans.
    Survival and consolidation is the name of the game.

• hibbit

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:39 PM

Tsunki
    i don’t need to mate i was just pointing out that at sometime or other we have all had a RANT or two !!

• hibbit

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:41 PM

Ron Knee
    and drop in at Villa ??

• Ron Knee

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:43 PM

hibbit

Is that the rumour?

• magscar

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:43 PM

Bobby wears his heart and club badge on his sleeve with pride. Yes can be strident and quick to rise but all posters know what to do – as hibbit says don’t read them . He is generally good copy in my view.

There are several posters i usually don’t agree with but still fully read as an alternative view to my own. I am not always given to post as the areas on which I would disagree are already well rehearsed and views are pretty much entrenched because of diffetent takes on the Ashley cause and effect so usually not worth discussing unless some fresh slant involved.

After a self enforced exile of several months I began to start reading again and contributing periodically because there is a different vibe about the place – long may it continue. Rafa is undoubtedly the catalyst for the improvement on here and generally.

There are only a couple of posters I have no time for and at least one will probably be a one to avoid for just about everyone on here.

• Tsunki

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:43 PM

Aye hibbit but cornering the market is just plain greedy 🙂

• hibbit

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:46 PM

Tsunki
    your no different to anybody else Jib goes fishing and you take the bait

various one’s on here bait bobby and he raises never fails

• Tsunki

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:49 PM

I see this season as incredibly rocky unless we get the striker situation sorted. We suffered in the championship when Gayle was crocked and i think we can expect his injury record to continue. We’ve got some reasonable quality at the back and speed on the wings, hopefully we have all but dispensed with the stodgy colback so maybe midfield will be more inventive. The big worry is that we won’t be afforded time for this new shape to gel. We could be on the back foot for a half dozen games or so. And contrary to bobby’s elevated view of the match going fans, they WILL get on their backs if we are limping to the January window. What I’m hoping for is well spring out the traps and surprise a few teams who come to us expecting to walk over us. You never know.

• Spotlight Kid

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:49 PM

I am delighted that NewsNow have pulled back. I am among the many readers who have written to NewNow about this unjust threat, pointing out that unlike most ad laden ‘cut and paste’ clickbait fake blogs (that NewNow dutifully includes) this blog was one of the few true independent blogs left, and it proved an invaluable one stop digest for team news, scores, news and rumours. I also pointed out that the blog’s regular articles were frequently at the top of the ‘top story’ list, and were at the time of my writing – and a few other things besides.

I did not mention Ed’s ongoing health battle, as in my mind that was not necessary. Even in recent weeks the quality of the blog has not faltered in its professionalism, and Ed has nothing to reproach himself with these over so called ‘journalistic concerns’ – unlike most other sites (including many of our daily newspapers). DLTBGYD!

• GeordieTwo

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:50 PM

Good to hear NewsNow have backed down Ed. It was a no win for them. We’re all happy for you mate.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:50 PM

Caulkin just blathering on inventing fiction, it’s the role of sports journos these days in the absence of doing any actual journalism. All about whipping up controversy, garnering clicks and generally creating nothing of value, just like many jobs in modern times – money made from hot air.

• Tsunki

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:50 PM

Hibbit I think a lot of people would take exception to saying i am the same as them.

• hibbit