Rafa – I Will Not Walk Away – My Chinese Is Not Good Enough – Newcastle Is A Challenge

Rafa Benitez gave an extended interview on Sky Sports yesterday morning, and the Newcastle manager went into great detail about the situation at Newcastle.

Rafa sees Newcastle as a challenge for him this season to take the team as high up the Premier League table as possible,

But there again the first goal of the season has to be to reach 40 points and be safe from relegation.

We cannot take another relegation this season – the club would crumble if that happens, so that will not occur.

We have not had a good transfer window so far – but there is still time for Newcastle to nab a few players and have a decent window.

Rafa Benitez – a challenge at Newcastle this season

Assuming we can sign Kennedy of Chelsea on loan for the season, he will be the sixth player signed and Rafa according to the local papers wanted eight first team players brought in.

This is how Rafa explained the transfer window at Newcastle yesterday on Sky Sports:

“The story is as I said before we missed some targets at the beginning and now we are trying to do our best with what’s available.”

“I can read our fans saying ‘Listen, now we will sign a £25million striker’. We cannot. Sometimes they are not available.”

“But if they are available the price is not £20M, the wages are not the same, and the commission of the agents is huge. I think we will try to do our best in the conditions that we are in.”

“I am not happy with it but at the same time for me, it’s a challenge and I will try to do my best.”

“If I decide to stay, it’s for the city, the fans, the stature of the club, to stay in England and in the Premier League.”

“So I want to do my best but obviously every manager wants to improve. I’m happy with the players I have.”  “The team spirit is quite good and hopefully we replicate that this season.”

“I will not walk away.” I decided to stay. When I decided to stay it’s because for me it’s a challenge.”

“For me, I’m not totally happy with what we did but I will try to do my best, working very hard with people at the club to try and improve what we have at the moment.”

“It’s very difficult (for me to walk away). My Chinese is not good enough.”

“No I try to do my best now. It has to be something you cannot control. At the moment I am fully committed to do the best that I can do now.”

“The first thing is to try and be sure we don’t go back to the Championship – but with ambition.”

“Ambition is every game for us will be a challenge for us to get three points and we’ll see how high we go in the table. But I can’t say ‘Oh, we’ll be in the top eight’.”

“Fans will say ‘Fantastic, he is ambitious.’ But I’m very realistic. Let’s be sure we do very well every game and we’re out of the bottom three positions and then see where we go.”

“With the transfer window open until the end of August, you can still bring players but before the game, you bring anyone in and they will be available for the next game.”

“But they would need to know our tactics and I don’t think we would have time to do that. But if we bring someone in before the end (of the week), it will be a boost for everyone.”

If we can sign say Lucas Perez before Sunday as well as get young Kennedy into the club on loan – things will be looking up on Sunday when we play Spurs in our first game of the season.

What do you think?

• lesh

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:35 PM

If Rafa’s challenge is to get Ashley to be ambitious for NUFC and change his ways, then best of luck to him!

• Spotlight Kid

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:41 PM

Brighton have broken their transfer record for the third time this Summer, bringing in Colombian winger Jose Izquierdo for £13.5m. At least their seems to be a plan down their, and a willingness by Bloom to accept the prices might be high, but the price of relegation is even higher.

• Spotlight Kid

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:42 PM

‘there’ even – bloomin’ autocorrect…

• barkel

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:46 PM

????
    Ji?ng f?l? f?

• hibbit

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:50 PM

our toon
    would you have any of the players Brighton have bought
    i don’t know enough about them to comment

• Canadian Mag

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:51 PM

Martin

Final League Position – 11th
    Final No of points – 47
    League Cup Round (7 = Final) – 6
    FA Cup Round (8 = Final) – 4
    Player of the season (Blog) –
    Top Goal Scorer– perez (if signs) or ritchie
    No of Goals for TGS – 13

• Canadian Mag

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:53 PM

Thry this again without autocorrect

Martoon

Final League Position – 11th
    Final No of points – 47
    League Cup Round (7 = Final) – 6
    FA Cup Round (8 = Final) – 4
    Player of the season (Blog) – lejeune
    Top Goal Scorer– perez (if signs) or ritchie
    No of Goals for TGS – 13

• magspuggy

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:54 PM

Lesh.
    Wouldnt that be something . I am excited to see what we can build using the money the club earns.

What we could do it fattie went and backed rafa with a load of money would be awesome. Wont hold my breath mind but if we have a good start to the season and ashley gets a taste of the goodtimes anythings possible.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:58 PM

Would Tottenham have any of the players we bought…

• Our Toon

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:00 PM

Hibbit

Don’t think I would mate, what I would say though is what they’ve bought improves there starting XI and they are spending money to try to ensure they have the best chance possible of staying up.

• Our Toon

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:02 PM

Spotlight

On Sky it says he cost then 16m which means they’ve just broken our transfer record as well.

We still have plenty of time in this window, if kenedy comes on board the he will be one of rafas 3 players. He did mention a winger, a striker and can’t remember the other position off the top of my head 🙂

• KingOfSolesShoes

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:17 PM

Rafa Benitez & NUFC are like a terrible marriage, and Rafa’s just muttering to himself ‘stay together for the kids’ (us fans)

Mashley you fool, don’t let her walk away, she’s the best thing to happen to NUFC for a long time, and you’re lucky to have her.

Get some flowers from an all night service station, come home earlier, light candles, cook for her..

Bit of effort man.

Or I’ll slap the face of ya myself

Rafa hasn’t faced a relegation battle in 20 years, but that’s what he’s gearing up for, with his CV he deserves better, and he might tolerate it this year, first yeat back in, loss of tv money last year.. etc

But next season he better have a proper budget, or he’s leaving and taking the kids.

• Jib

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:17 PM

jesperfuglsang – capt’n awesome of the lemon crew
    Comment #10 – – – Would Tottenham have any of the players we bought

Nice attempt at a dig Jesper (a bit of a weird comment for a toon fan)

If you hadn’t ducked out for a season for “personal” reasons (nothing to do with being beneath your dignity in the Championship of course) -you would be aware that the wonderful judges of footy skill at Sperz paid £30million for Sissoko.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:20 PM

We have the potential to be a dangerous proposition this season with the players we have !

Our make up will be a team with a solid defensive shape who fight for every ball and are rapid on the break!

It will suit us to play the possession based teams who will leave massive gaps for us to exploit having players like Shelvey and Lejuene who can hit 50 or 60 yard passes quickly will stretch teams

We are just lacking that one vital player a top level goal goal scorer Chicarito would have been ideal but Lucas Perez could provide it as well

• Novocastrian66

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:21 PM

We need to get players out. That is the problem, hopefully it is this which is fustrating Rafa. We cannot afford to have 40 players on our books like Chelsea can or Man City.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:22 PM

We’re gonna smash Spurs and then they’ll lodge a £150m bid for Shelvey and we’ll tell them to ram it up their shitters!

• expatmag

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:30 PM

I think we might surprise quite a few this season.

The squad is looking decidedly tasty when you take into account age, pace and hunger to succeed.

Match these qualities to the experience and quality of the manager and his staff and you will see the best squad of players on show for many years.

• barkel

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:31 PM

OurToon @ 12

Did we not pay £17m for some horse owner from Chester?

• expatmag

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:32 PM

Furthermore, I wouldnt be surprised to see Hayden Lascelles Shelvey and even Gayle been looked at by Southgate and his people by seasons end.

• Our Toon

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:36 PM

Barkel

Yes we did unfortunately, forgot about that waste of space / money

• barkel

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:45 PM

An unfortunate reminder that spending huge money on what might appear to be a top striker isn’t always successful.

Saying that though I wouldn’t mind spending similar on Perez from Arsenal.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:45 PM

Jib…I think that was a fair question

• hellodjo

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:49 PM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party Chicarito is over rated honestly, much rather persist with Ayoze Perez upfront than for us to have gone out and sign him for £17 mil and £140k wages, utter madness. Oh and Lucas Perez is infinitely better than Chicarito I have a feeling West Ham are in for a long season with has beens playing on big wages coasting along

• hellodjo

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:56 PM

If people would actually be realistic they’d understand we missed out on premier league money from Sky, so yes if we stay up we’ll have a very good budget which Ashley will give to Rafa, just as he backed McClaren in jan when we got relegated, another contributing factor to our plight as it stands financially. There is no point getting worked up over things when the answers are there for you to see if you’d simply look, I’d take the players we’ve signed over Brighton and Huddersfield and if we can get players on loan deals, or better still on loan deals with option to buy then that would be fine by me and sensible.

We have enough to stay up even if we don’t get Lucas Perez, in my mind a signing of his calibre pushes us to strong top 10 contenders and safety from relegation realistically.

• RUNAWAY777

Aug 10, 2017 at 3:29 PM

No one say we have not got any money to spend after being the championship Brighton have just come up so we’re did they get the money Ashley stinks bet Brighton stay up .

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 10, 2017 at 3:33 PM

Hellodjo- spot on m8

• mindshaft

Aug 10, 2017 at 3:48 PM

Not that it means much but every pundit or fan table prediction ( other than toon fans) pretty much have us finishing outside the bottom three, most chosen clubs for relegation are

Brighton
    Huddersfield
    Burnley
    Stoke
    Watford

Maybe we are being too hard on ourselves