Rafa Benitez Now Close To Newcastle’s Sixth Signing Of The Summer

News today in the Chronicle that the signing of Chelsea’s 21-year-old winger/defender Kenedy on a season-long loan deal is very close and Lee Ryder of the Chronicle had tweeted a few days ago that it was now down to the paperwork – so fingers crossed the deal will go through soon – maybe this weekend.

Rafa had spoken to the player when he was in London on Wednesday attending the Premier League manager’s meeting, and we assume he got various opinions on the lad’s character by talking to his contacts at the south London club.

And since Rafa is willing to sign him on loan – probably with an option to buy him next year – tells us he is not too bad a character at all although he did make a terrible mistake on Chelsea’s China tour and was sent home for that.

He did apologize immediately and profusely when he realized he had made a big mistake.

Kenedy – expected to be Newcastle’s sixth signing of the summer

But that’s part of life, and Kenedy should learn from that mistake which is easy to make in a foreign country that has vastly different cultures than he’s used to.

Rafa spoke at his upbeat press conference yesterday about what was happening in the transfer window and had this to say:

“We have some targets, but we also have a lot of players in this team.” “We need to find this balance.”

“We are progressing with some targets and we’ll see if we can bring them in.”

If we can get Kenedy signed we really need at least a third goalkeeper and a striker – or even two strikers – and then we should be OK – always depending on the quality of the players we sign.

But this is not what most fans expected this summer when we thought we had at least £70M to spend according to local reports.

But it is as it is and we just have to get on with it.

• B1GSTEVE

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:37 PM

Martoon

Final League Position 9th
    Final No of points 52
    League Cup Round 5th
    FA Cup Round Final
    Player of the season De Jong
    Top Goal Scorer Mitrp
    No of Goals for TGS. 17

• ShirebrookToon

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:49 PM

Watching MOTD is making me nervous about tomorrow.

• Belfast

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:02 AM

What’s the craic with all these sleeve sponsors then ?

And what’s ours ? Poundland ??

Starting to look more like dart shirts than football shirts.

• magspuggy

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:02 AM

Shirebrook. We will be ok mate. We are ready we are able we are UNITED..

• ShirebrookToon

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:03 AM

Sports Direct will be our sleeve sponsor. More free advertising for the fat man

• ShirebrookToon

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:07 AM

Magspuggy
    Couple of pint before I get to my seat should do the trick lol

• Belfast

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:08 AM

It’s really just another way to squeeze some daft kernts for more cash

• Belfast

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:10 AM

Nah it’ll be something more embarrassing like tampons or cheap toilet roll

• ShirebrookToon

QF
    TS: Gayle
    Goals: 12
    POS: Ritchie

• headtheball

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:53 AM

Anyone from OZ know if we can view the Spurs game without Optus?
    Armchair fans, YUK.

• lochinvar

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:01 AM

See we’re linked with Jack Wilshire again but that doesn’t seem to fit with what we need but then again the transfer market will suddenly spin into action for many deals during thus next week.
    If Liverpool sell Coutinho for £100m they get their Andy Carrol money back which is a pity !

• Bobbybee

Aug 13, 2017 at 3:20 AM

Jail, I get that you’re slow on the uptake, so I’ll try one last time. Don’t call me an Ashley apologist, you damn hypocrite.
    Just because I see things from both sides and don’t bleat and cry every time I don’t get my own way with somebody else’s money, doesn’t make me an apologist. I’ve said it a dozen times – I don’t care about Ashley.
    I support the football team. Owners come and go and if you had the first clue about our history, you’d know he’s no better or worse than any of the others we’ve had.
    The reason I choose to ignore him is because I learned a long time ago not to bleat about things I can’t change. I can’t buy Ashley out. He will go when he’s good and ready.
    Instead of constantly whining, why don’t you do something? If he bothers you so much, do something. Be a big man. Make a stand.
    You won’t though. It’s all bluff. With your sad little avatar, you still do exactly what I do – go to games. Yes, you give it large, but it means nothing. Zilch. Jail for Ashley? Ha ha ha ha. You’re a joke pal.
    I’m straight down the line. I don’t want him here, but I can do nothing about him, so why worry myself into an early grave but it? What exactly do you want me to do? Lie? Give it large like you whilst still going to games and renewing my ST? Not my style pal, I leave that to the hypocrites of this world.
    Ashley means zip to me. Like Shepherd, Hall, McKeag, Seymour, Westwood before them. Not a thing. A necessary evil I prefer to ignore. The lads on the pitch are all that bothers me. I don’t do politics in football. I simply don’t care.
    If I pointed out he lost a fortune in loss of shares it’s because it’s a fact. That is not being an apologist. Should I lie? No, I leave the lies to those who do it all the time.
    So, tell me please, what you want me to do about Ashley that you’re doing?
    I don’t shop at SD. He’s not a personal friend. Exactly what can I do?
    Give up my ST? Like you have? Grow up mate. At least others have the courage of their convictions, although I think they’re full of it too.
    I don’t like Ashley, but I don’t throw my toys out the pram and stamp my feet either. I get on with supporting my team like I always have and will. Owners come and owners go. His time will come, but I’ll still be here. Life goes on.

• gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club)

Aug 13, 2017 at 6:10 AM

Anyone hear the ‘Rafa’s Way’ author on talksport earlier? He spoke for quite a while about Rafa’s problems and it seems McCarthy and Townsend were on their way in January till Ashley refused to spend for them.

He also said that all the signings this summer have been 3rd or 4th on the list- none were his no.1 target for the position.

He compared it to Keegan in that he believes Rafa felt he was promised things which were then retracted.

Also, anyone hear Ashley on the radio the other day? He said one of the problems for money was that “It’s not like we can have a £40m stadium sponsor every season” – I cannot believe how disingenuous this is! Of course we can’t because HE USES IT TO ADVERTISE SD! That’s why we can’t get that money in!

I don’t understand where all the money’s gone? 48,000+ every fortnight plus prize money and last seasons parachute payments… Where is it? We’ve spent about £10m net (If that, with staggered payments not being considered) and are going into a premier league season with our specially crafted Championship squad- made purely for the championship with the intent to massively reinvent it when we get promoted…..

I’m not very optimistic.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 13, 2017 at 6:24 AM

Bobby,
    Where did I even mention you, you raving lunatic.

• lochinvar

Aug 13, 2017 at 6:43 AM

According to the Sun on Sunday ( not to be confused with the more illustrious Newcastle publication the Sunday Sun ) Arsenal have told Newcastle and Brighton to stump up £20m to sign Lucas Perez.

So his price has doubled in less than a week ?
    You’re having a larf guv (Wenger) – cockney wide boys at it again.
    Can’t you read Ashley’s skint and at that price this ain’t going to happen.
    Doubt he’ll want to go to Little London by the Sea as they don’t have real sandy beaches like us, mostly shingle.
    Move along the bus please.

• lochinvar

Aug 13, 2017 at 7:03 AM

Worth a read to maybe get some more insight into what’s being happening in the background – you would be tempted to point the finger at Charnley for not delivering on Rafa’s targets.
    However we’ve actually made great signings of players who want to be part of NUFC and wear the shirt – that speaks volumes for those players. The likes of Tammy may find they’ve been bullied into the wrong decision.

Not sure that missing out on the likes of McCarthy is a concern for most of us and it’s now down to Charnley to deliver the missing links. Clearly Kenedy needs to happen otherwise Charnley and Rafa ain’t going to be dunking their biscuits out of the same tea cup.

• bladeuser