Rafa Benitez Explains Why He’s Still Confident And Will Stay At Newcastle

Rafa has been interviewed in the Mail today, and he talks today about his being frustrated at the way things have gone for Newcastle in the summer transfer window – not well.

And we seem to have missed out on most of our top targets for one reason or another.

But Rafa has also said why he is still at Newcastle, and he puts it down to the loyalty (love and admiration et) shown to him by both the Newcastle players and the fans alike.

Rafa has said before in his career that he loves being at a club where he is loved by the fans.

That happened at Liverpool when he was there for six years, and it’s occurring at Newcastle now – where he’s been for a short 18 months.

Rafa Benitez explains why he’s still at Newcastle

The fans just love this man because he’s football daft just like the rest of us!

Before our foray back into the Premier League this afternoon against Spurs, Rafa has given a good and positive interview where he talks about the great City of Newcastle and the legendary Geordie fans.

But the upper management at the club has to support Rafa more than they have done this summer; otherwise, he could walk next year although we don’t expect that to happen.

This is what Rafa has said in the Mail today:

“We were not demanding crazy things.”

“We were demanding to do things in the right way like we did with Liverpool, with Chelsea and all the other clubs I have managed.”

“With a professional staff all working together.”

“This summer I was expecting other things, but OK we don’t have those things, so now we have to move forward and I will do my best.”

“Am I happy with what was going on in the summer? No, I think that we can improve and we can compete and do the right things.’”

“What we have at Newcastle, which is different to other Premier League clubs, is the city.”

“We have a city behind us – 52,000 every game, a good stadium and everybody is there.”

“But what we could do, to save some money, we didn’t do it and now we are in a worse position.”

“But still, I have confidence that we can compete.”

“One thing we have and which I said last year and in the end I was right: we will compete until the end.’”

“I had two or three players, who came here because of me, they wanted to come here because of me and I couldn’t let them down.”

“As you know, my family is in England and I decided to come to a massive club with potential.”

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Tottenham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• WWSBRD

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:34 AM

If we had an owner who saw or understood what Rafa does then we’d be where Spurs now are in a couple of seasons if not beyond that

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:35 AM

Ron…it’s the same as always it seems

• Krul To Be Kind

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:38 AM

A massive club with potential… That’s definitely us alright!!!

Howay The Lads!

I can’t remember the last time I woke up on a Sunday with a hangover but there’s a certain spring in my step today, I just hope the 11 mags selected today have a certain swagger about them now we are back where we belong!!!

• Ron Knee

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:39 AM

jesper

At least one person has some integrity at the club!

• Tenbytoon

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:40 AM

Absolutely buzzing, it’s finally here, months of having to do stuff with the wife over, c’mon lads 2-0 to the toon HWTL boom!!!!!!!

• ShirebrookToon

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:41 AM

I’ve got that sicky feeling lll

• toontaff2

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:45 AM

Shire, put some strong stuff on your cornflakes! 👿

• lochinvar

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:47 AM

Shire – and stay off the All Bran ffs

• ShirebrookToon

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:47 AM

Toontaff,
    No! If I have food then that will encourage me to have another nervous poo!! 😆

• yorkymag

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:50 AM

Here we go
    Can’t wait
    Let’s just forget all this bolocks from shit stirring jurnos including our once number nine and make sjp rock to the love of Rafa and the team
    Let’s not forget it was the unique emotion of the place that pulled at rafas heart
    Tooooooon army

• lochinvar

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:51 AM

DeYedlin still injured but Gayle is reported as fit – does he start or Mitro ?

• Jib

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:54 AM

Who is the injured midfielder that started all the furoré with Colback ?
    Either Merino or Hayden I’m guessing.

• Ron Knee

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:56 AM

@11

Mitro scored two against Spurs last year so maybe he’ll start.

• ShirebrookToon

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:56 AM

Chancel Mbemba, Mikel Merino, Shelvey and Pereeeeeezzzzzzz. 1 2 3 4…………

• OneAlanShearer

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:11 AM

If mitro starts imho is because Gayle not ready.

• Billy Whitehursts V sign

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:17 AM

Match day and suns out ?

Sick of owners and transfers its the same every summer. Always some pathetic drama, mostly made up by papers.

My team today

Elliott
    Manquillo lejuerne clarke dummett
    Hayden shelvey
    Ritchie de jong aarons
    Gayle

• expatmag

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:19 AM

Gayle and Dejong wont start. My guess is the same line up as above with Mitro leading the line, Perez in the 10 role. Gayle on the bench

• Dave76

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:21 AM

Great we are back in premier league,nothing better than going to the match with your son.going to enjoy every game with him regardless of owners,results people’s negativity. Going to cheer the lads on,enjoy the day and hope for a result

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:30 AM

I’ve tried to dismiss this shit all summer with lazy journalism, we have here direct quotes from the man himself, he left the meetings with Ashley positively brimming about the future and now he’s telling us the aim is to survive, which was a whole lot different to what he thought was going to happen. Ashley has gambled on his (Rafa’s) feelings for the fans and 5M a year salary and decided to shaft him, for whatever reason only he knows, is it a long standing bitterness toward us or what. Why has he had to come out and mention 200M pounds and competing with Man City when the reality is we haven’t even competed with Swansea, we know they have more PL cash than us but why can’t we be advanced some of next years money, it will definitely be advanced in January if we are in the shite, the man seems hell bent on making sure we’ll never be successful.
    St James is going to be absolutely buzzing tosay, Rafa will be serenaded like never before I think, wish I’d put a sicky in 🙁

• yorkshire_magpie

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:35 AM

Surely Lacselles will start considering he’s our club captain?

• WWSBRD

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:36 AM

Jail
    Same old unfortunately mate

As for advanced money in Jan I think we are paid during the season rather than lump sum at the end so come Jan we might not need an advance…hopefully that’s what Rafa is banking on

Tbh for me if we make it through this season and Ashley keeps his word then we can start to build without Ashleys b.s. but it’s going to be a big ask until then

• Bobbybee

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:36 AM

Got woke up this morning by my son screaming at his Xbox and throwing his £80 a pop controller across the room.
    Is this how all gamers behave? 🙂 Wow, do they get involved or what? By all accounts my mates son’s are exactly the same. Normally placid lads drove to distraction by a game.
    Then I think of us and football. Mmm. We just don’t throw things!
    Cannot wait for ko now. Bring it on I say. All the talk can stop for the day and football takes centre stage. Nobody gives us a snowball’s in hell chance today. Let’s surprise them.

• TudorCrisps

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:37 AM

220/1 ayoze perez first goal scorer and Newcastle to win 2-0

Worth a sky diver? Or even just a quid hmmmm…

Toon army

• Jib

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:37 AM

Jail
    Your stupidity shines like a beacon
    Manchester city total spent on incomings so far £216.45m
    That’s why he mentioned £200m in the same breath as Man City

• Tenbytoon

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:40 AM

Bingo

Elliott
    Manquillo lejuane clark Dummer
    Shelvey Haydon
    Ritchie perez atsu
    Mitro

• SA Toon

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:40 AM

I’m expecting to see Elliot, Manquillo, Lejeune, Clarke, Dummet, Hayden, Shelvey, Ritchie, Perez, Aarons, Mitro. With 52,000 Geordies behind them I fancy they’ll be good enough to take Tottenham apart. Three hours and counting!!! HWTL

• hibbit

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:41 AM

hope you all enjoy the game were ever you are forget the shit for today
    that’s me off to the toon

good luck toon army

• Bobbybee

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:41 AM

WWSBRD The money goes out depending on where you finish I believe. We won’t get ours until next season because we weren’t in it to finish anywhere. We’ll get the parachute payment surely? How exactly does it work?

• Rotonda heights

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:42 AM

Bit unfortunate Rafa having to admit that the players that have come in are not his first choices! I think they have actually been quite astute and shrewd signings. Not sure Wiltshire would be though. Really hope we can get some more deadwood out soon, especially Colback.

Tbh I thought we had only really missed out on Abraham, Semedo and Caballero as concrete bona fide targets.

It’s a shame Mike is now a broke multi billionaire and that we can’t get any advertising revenue in because, oh wait… SD have it all!

It would be hard for an owner to show less interest in a club or even less support for the world class manager he by some miracle now has on his doorstep, following years of horrendous decision making and mediocre z lister appointments.

I can only hope that the guy from mergers and acquisitions has something lined up imminently and can deliver us an owner who actually cares. As Bobby says though, it’s pointless beating yourself up over something we have no power over.

• Jimmy Waff

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:45 AM

Match day and all that matters is backing the lads in a difficult first game of the season. Lots of people will be expecting us to get beat today based on the Newcastle they remember from our last season in the prem and Spurs’ finishing 2nd last season.

The difference today is we now have a group of players committed to the cause, a top class manager and a season of battling in the championship under our belt which was toughened us up.

I’m quietly confident of a result today and would really be happy with a clean sheet – the standard of defending this weekend as been poor so I’d like us to buck that trend and show how well organized we are.

Transfer bickering can wait until next week.

Howay the lads!

• WWSBRD

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:48 AM

Bobby
    I thought the basic tv money is dealt out over the season with the bonus of final position payment on the last? Thought we’d already had our first payment, did the Chron not report that?

I’ve no idea how the parachute payment works tbh I’ve heard we’ve had it and also that we don’t qualify for all of it because we came straight back up. Going from the budget we’ve used I’d assume it’s spent though?

• geordie157

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:51 AM

Left back can wait until if need be Jan, Gamez, Manquillo, Clark, Sterry can all play there. Don’t mind Dummett but it is a position we need to improve on quality wise.

A striker is a must and I really think a no.10 is too, De Jong I think is a good sub, as is Perez. Diame isn’t good enough, squad player at best. Ritchie could play there if Atsu/Murphy/Aarons do well on the wings and Manquillo could play right wing with Yedlin right back.

2 signings are the minimum needed ST & No.10, 4 would be ideal LB, No.10, 2 ST.

• toon kk

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:58 AM

Jail
    Did you really trust Cashley?
    I certainly didn’t, this transfer window was/is exactly what I expected tbh.

We are very lucky Rafa has stayed around, most top class managers would have walked.
    Here’s hoping for a good performance today, at least we’ll see what we’re all about.

• Bobbybee

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:59 AM

WWSBRD, confusing innit? 🙂 Ashley had said Rafa can have all the TV money next season I believe, which is why I’m confused. If you get the money when you come up you ain’t earned it yet, but if you get it when the season ends, why do you need a parachute payment? You should have the seasons money, but that gets dished out over three seasons from the season you came down. Arrgh!
    If we get it month by month, why hasn’t Rafa been able to spend it? Or is this to do with Ashley insisting on paying cash?

• c-dog

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:09 AM

Elliott
    Manquillo Lejuene Clarke Dummett
    Hayden Shelvey
    Ritchie Diame Atsu
    Gayle

I think he’ll go with Diame because his physicality. Perez won’t be able for Wanyama and Dembele. De Jong is just too slow.

• SA Toon

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:10 AM

Enjoy the game everyone. To those of you going to SJP, give them hell. I want to hear you all the way down here in Johannesburg!

• Jib

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Elliot
    Manquillo
    Lejeune
    Clark
    Dummett
    Ritchie
    Hayden
    Shelvey
    Atsu
    Perez
    Mitrovic

The above is the team that started and played for an hour against Hellas Verona (Sheesh – was that just a week ago?)
    As good a starting point as any I guess

• Bobbybee

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:19 AM

Is there a bingo this season? Regardless, I’d go with

Elliot

The Manikin Lejeune Clark Dummett

Hayden Shelvey

Ritchie Perez Atsu

Gayle.

Might as well start him in case he breaks down, or if he comes on and breaks down we’re short a striker. Just my logic on it, right or wrong. 🙂

WWSBRD just checked online. Tbh I still don’t get it. 🙂 Mackems earned their money last season, but that gets split into parachute payments. So, working on that, we don’t get nish until next season. We get what we earned for winning the league which frankly, is peanuts.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:22 AM

Bobby…I think it’s a domestic issue mate!

My sons are not allowed to turn on the PlayStation without asking and there’s no throwing what so ever…

But even us adult are different people!