New Signing Joselu Bowled Over By Massive Newcastle Fan Support

Yesterday was Newcastle’s Open Day as they trained on the famous St. James’ Park pitch in front of a crowd of 12,000 and new signing Joselu was just bowled over by the massive support given to the club.

But the 27-year-old would have been told of Newcastle’s huge fan following by Rafa Benitez before he signed if he didn’t know that already – and this season we will have regularly sold-out crowds of over 52,000 at the stadium.

The fans got a glimpse of Joselu’s technical ability yesterday when he brilliantly hit a Matt Ritchie cross on the volley, and the ball went screaming into the back of the net.

It was a study of how to keep your eye on the ball and then hit the ball perfectly.

It reminded me of a goal I scored at Walker Park when I was 10 years old – the only difference was I hit mine a little harder than Joselu did yesterday.

Anyway, that’s my recollection.

🙂

Joselu seemed stunned and delighted with the crowd’s reaction to him yesterday, and this is what he had to say as reported in the Chronicle:

“Newcastle is a big club and it’s an honor for me to play at this club in this amazing city.”

“For me, it’s not about why I moved from Stoke to here. I am so happy to be in this stadium.”

“This is a fantastic and amazing stadium, for me, it’s a pleasure to be here.”

“Today is my first day at St James’ Park with the supporters, and I want also to enjoy the games at home.”

“When Rafa called me, I didn’t have to think any more about it, and now I am here and I want to enjoy it.”

“I am here because I want to play in the Premier League.”

“For me, it’s the best league in the world. I want to play, enjoy and score a lot of goals at St James’ Park in a Newcastle shirt.”

“It’s a pleasure to be again in the Premier League.”

“Newcastle have a very good team and very good players as well. We will try to do our best home and away.”

“We will try to win all the games to stay again in the Premier League.”

“We have trained well this week, we have prepared very well for the game.”

“It’s our first away game of the season and we will try to come back to Newcastle with the three points.”

Joselu’s move from Stoke City was announced on Wednesday and yesterday was the first day of being a Newcastle player – some day!

Here’s the video of the goal – we’d like to seem him smashing in goals like this in the Premier League this season for us.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Huddersfield?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• ShirebrookToon

Aug 18, 2017 at 7:39 AM

I refuse to vote on the poll now. Because it’s cursed I tell you!

• Jib

Aug 18, 2017 at 7:41 AM

Still two weeks from midnight last night to window close.
    Plenty of time for clubs with players to unload to get a reality check .
    Expect a late flurry of activity starting a week on from this coming Monday.

• clinath@ed

Aug 18, 2017 at 8:04 AM

shire, i set out my predicted results for the season from the beginning, and answer the poll accordingly. Not always right but it got us promoted lase season, so i’m sticking with that.. 😉

• sing in the corner

Aug 18, 2017 at 8:22 AM

Welcome Joselu. Hope he settles quickly. Shouldn’t be too much of a problem, he’s played in the PL already, and we’ve got a few Spaniards at the club.
    Patiently waiting for news / progress on some of our outgoing players. Its not ideal for the mood having players kicking their heels around the place.

Good luck to Colback especially. I think it’s disgraceful the way he has been slated by many of our own fans consistently while wearing the shirt, one of our own representing our area. Limited, yes, but one of the few willing to put everything in when the chips were down. It’s a shame how it ended with the training thing.

• magscar

Aug 18, 2017 at 8:26 AM

We all know Ashley’s history or if we don’t there are plenty on here to regurgitate it ad nauseum. We also know that Rafa made the first move in the shotgun marriage between them occasioned by McLaren’s disastrous appointment and results. A marriage of convenience perhaps but is anyone else fed up of all the negativity from pundits and posters and daily expectation of an acromonious divorce .

We all know how easy it is to get a bandwagon rolling about NUFC. Speculation by one journalist, bit of conjecture by another spiced and stirred up by others with an agenda and you have a feast to serve to those starvimg fans waiting for it all to go wrong.

Yes Rafa isn’t happy with transfer market and frustrated by inaction but there no clear signs as yet that he won’t complete at least this season – so stop willing it. It isn’t how he or we pictured it in May but we have made progress. I trust that it is sufficient to keep Rafa determined and still on course with the long term achievable project HE had spotted.

This club is notorious especially under Ashley for journalists without a regular direct line having to look at the tea leaves and interpret as best they can, some better than others but none being always correct. It is also not unknown for Rafa to use the press to his own devices or for Ashley’s PR men to also season the pot. It is all a dance and doesn’t necessarily mean one partner is looking to leave the floor.

Sorry for mixed metaphors but can’t be bothered to rewrite part to fit more neatly 🙂

• Jib

Aug 18, 2017 at 8:42 AM

A few mixed metaphors with me prunes and cornflakes – luverly grub.
    😀

• DubaiMicky

Aug 18, 2017 at 8:43 AM

Well said magscar – also rafa does have history between himself and owners. Probably for the best that Ashley has said, “there you go, you run it, with not a penny of outside help”. If anything it’s better than a disinterested owner keeping all his fingers in the pies.

It will also cement rafa as the world’s #1 manager if he gets us into the Champions league without outside (owners) intervention. A far cry from the citehs, manurse and psgs of this world that try to buy success.