Rafa Determined To Stay Calm And Keep Working Through The Season

When Rafa Benitez came in to manage Newcastle in our relegation crisis last year, he kept saying we must all stay calm.

It doesn’t help when people overreact to one or two poor results.

Rafa has today talked about the upcoming Premier League season and shares the same philosophy that we must not over react when things are going badly but also not react too much either if things start to go well.

“We” in this case being the players and the supporters alike.

Keeping an evil keel through what is a tough and challenging Premier League season is what Rafa always wants to do.

Here’s how he explained that as reported in the Chronicle:

“I am analyzing my squad and analyzing the other teams also, and I have more or less the same idea that I had before. It depends on how we will work during the season.”

“The difference between seventh and eighth was about 15 points last year, so there was a big gap between seventh and eighth and a lot of teams in the same pack, the same group.”

“If you do well, you can be here [indicating the top of that group] and it will be a fantastic season; or you can be here [indicating the bottom of the group] doing more or less the same.”

“Maybe a couple of games can make a big difference.”

“We have to be sure that we have this feeling and this conviction that we need to keep going until the end.”

“I told you last year, we finished strongly, we won three games at the end in a row and we were Champions.”

“So this year if we make a couple of mistakes and we lose some games in a row and everybody is panicking, we have less chance to achieve what we want to achieve.”

“If you are calm and you keep working, then I am sure in the end we will be stronger and stronger.”

“Does stronger mean that we can be in the top four?”

“No, I’m not saying that.”

Those are savvy words coming from Rafa who has experience in management going back over 20 years and experience in coaching going back a further 10 years before that.

So Rafa knows what he’s talking about …..

How Will Newcastle Fare At Huddersfield?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Ron Knee

Aug 19, 2017 at 8:41 AM

Miles Starforth

DeAndre Yedlin won’t be fit for tomorrow’s game. #nufc

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:12 AM

Morning Ron…It’s a shame about Perez! Had really hoped that one would come through…would have explained the Hoosy signing!

…we still need that prolific goalscorer or someone who can give us +15 goals!

• toontaff2

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:19 AM

An evil keel
    👿

• sing in the corner

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:24 AM

The ‘missed out’ misnoma surfaced again, this time about Perez. He wanted to go back to Spain, so was never coming here.

• bladeuser

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:26 AM

When will you wake up .
    Perez was never coming .
    Not listing all the reasons why.
    But get your heads around this one.
    WE HAVE NO MONEY
    ASH OUT

• Ron Knee

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:28 AM

Morning jesper

Rafa: “Some of the names that we are considering now have not been in the press, so maybe there could be a surprise for you.” #NUFC

Let’s hope Rafa isn’t disappointed again!

• Lindisfarne

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:29 AM

Viking!

• Lindisfarne

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:31 AM

KEEP RAFA
    AND
    CARRY ON

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:35 AM

Ron…I do think he still wants that goalscorer and a keeper…

And LB seems to be needed a someone who can compete with Shelvey is more important than ever…

• Munster Mag

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:36 AM

Thats a great piece about rafa by George caulkin. Lucky to have rafa the obsessive. Martin hardy book is brill but nothing like that analysis

• Munster Mag

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:41 AM

So it’s clear now, rafa is seething with Ashley and is now punching back in the media and essentially calling him out for his deception. Give us a chance Ashley. Mind u I still wonder whether rafa is regretting spending 10 mill on murphy. Did he know how little available cash we had then?

• Ron Knee

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:45 AM

jesper

Having to do these tricky transfers right at the end of the window is really threatening our chance to get some points in August.

• Munster Mag

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:45 AM

Finally, not sure why so many slags off Hughes. Not a very likeable man, and if u beat stoke 5-0 he will never give credit, but he has stoke at 9th most seasons, safe as houses. This is stoke city, not, say Everton.

• Ron Knee

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:53 AM

MM

Good point about Murphy, but perhaps he’d planned to bring him on in the second half. We’ll never know!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:01 AM

Ron…I totally agree!

The Huddersfield game though comes at the right time I think…we need a good start and we access where we are and what we need!

The Spurs game just didn’t go our way on many levels!

• Munster Mag

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:02 AM

He’d surely love 10 mill to play with now? Reading into things, wud love to know when rafa knew he was being duped

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:03 AM

…Kiss is playing in the background!

I have a 6 year old who just loves Kiss…I am all smiles!

How cool is that ?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:05 AM

Any new news on players possibly leaving?…wasn’t on much yesterday!

• Jib

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:05 AM

Caulkin has his moments but is as reliable/unreliable as most journos.
    I remember in June he was adamant that Willie Caballero was coming to Toon.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:07 AM

Munster…you said it he’s not very likeable and neither are their football!

• AncientC

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:08 AM

Leeds’ Chris Wood seemingly going to Burnley for around £15 million. Burnley are getting themselves a good deal if they can push it through. £15 million for a good Championship forward seems slightly below the going rate.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:12 AM

Ancient…maybe! I he can goals consistently I would agree!

With the current marked a established player in England or better a Brits quickly increases in value…

• AncientC

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:16 AM

jesper, yes, 27 goals in the Championship means he should be moving up a level. Shame it is not with Newcastle.

• Billy Whitehursts V sign

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:22 AM

Rafa is dead right 17th to 8th last year 6 point diffence i.e. 40 – 46. Anyone of those teams could have finished in any order. I might be wrong but Watford who finished 17th lost their last 6 sp could easily have been 8th.
    All the above is true and possible but staying out of the bottom 3 is still my only target!

• bettyswallocks

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:22 AM

I hope we buy Praet , looks chancey and could be an improver under Rafa. In fact we could then get all the other lads to change their names to Pratt so we could be like the old Monty Python sketch. Anyone remember it ? Pratt to Pratt back to Pratt etc. Very funny.

• Lindisfarne

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:23 AM

Jib

Whats up? Paella recipe not authentic enough for you?!

• toontaff2

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:25 AM

Bingo time?

Elliott
    Manquillo Lascalles Clark Jesus
    Hayden Merino
    Ritchie De Jong Atsu
    Gayle

subs: Darlow, Mbemba, Diame, Murphy, Aarons, Joselu, Perez

1-5 Toon.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:28 AM

Ancient…for some reason my phone just went crazy there. I’ll try in English ?…maybe! If he can get goals consistently I would agree!

With the current marked an established player in England or better a Brit quickly increases in value…

• Billy Whitehursts V sign

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:29 AM

Re Dejong’s interview, sounds like he just wants to play, anywhere, seems he would like it to be with us but……. Late departure? Wait till January? Will be a real shame if we never got to see him play

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:30 AM

Thanks Lindisfarne!

• Jib

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:46 AM

• Jib

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:50 AM

Both sides playing 4-2-3-1 – makes the use of subs critical.
    Let’s hope all 11 stay on for the second half so Rafa can
    deploy his cunning plan.

• mindshaft

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:55 AM

Not sure I enjoy these Sunday early kick offs- too early to for drinking although if we win I can then celebrate or if we lose I can drown my sorrows

• Our Toon

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:56 AM

Our Toon

We need to make our minds up, be self sufficient which means charging SD and other mash holding companies for advertising or spend a little from the owners pocket until we can safely spend within our means.

Jib
    Apologies Our Town – I didn’t realise you were a share holder in NUFC
    What percentage do you hold ?

I don’t get your response Jeffery, I mean Jib. My comment last night was a response to those saying Ashley wants us to be self sufficient. You can’t be self sufficient when certain revenue streams are taken away from you. Not sure why you’d assume anything other than that but then again you weren’t involved in the conversation.

At this moment I’m questioning your IQ level, can you explain your response to a comment posted over 12 hours ago that you’ve clearly not understood.

• mindshaft

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:56 AM

So are Huddersfield still a team of 6 foot plus ?

• Lindisfarne

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:58 AM

i suppose it makes sense keeping mbemba on the bench as cd back up.
    gayle needs matches and perez needs to step up.
    i thought bahbah (merino) would be held back for the cup game.
    karchunga has pace so maybe gamez will play on the opposite side.

• Our Toon

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:58 AM

I hope one of the big lads start upfront and can’t see Joselu starting as we will have worked on a game plan throughout the week, he came in midweek. Happy to be proven wrong though

I’d go with:

Elliot

Manquillo, Mbemba, Las, Clark

Merino, Hayden

Ritchie, Gayle, Atsu

Mitro

• toontaff2

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:59 AM

Very rare, but a good piece in The Mag, by Paul Lyon.
    Snippets:
    ‘It seems the majority of Newcastle fans are an accountant when it comes to talking about Newcastle United these days.’
    ‘I myself try to deal with the here & now as it happens, with the occasional look back. But there are fans that seem to take some sort of pleasure out of all the hysteria and revel in the opportunity to say I told you so when things take a nosedive.’
    ‘Players are written off before they’ve kicked a ball for NUFC because of their price tag. There are plenty of examples of players that have come in for nominal fees and did a great job for the Club.’
    ‘Before I’m written off as an Ashley apologist, I’m far from it! I believe the guy is out for himself and not the best interests of the Club. As most are, I’m aware of the limitations beset on the Club during his ownership and I get it, but does every conversation regarding NUFC have to be about the owner and whether Rafa is leaving?’
    ‘Luckily Ashley, or any owner for that matter, isn’t the reason I go to the match. Bottom line is I go to watch the lads on the pitch regardless of their transfer fees. We’ve had some right wasters on the pitch in recent years but we now seem to have a decent bunch of lads that I find easy to get behind and support.’