Freddie Woodman Could Make His Debut Tomorrow Night For Newcastle

Rafa has talked about the league cup game against Nottingham Forest tomorrow night, and we are hoping we can get our first win of the season and move onto the next round.

Rafa has talked about using the squad tomorrow night, and he has said that one player from the U23 squad could even play tomorrow night.

There is speculation that Rafa may give the impressive Freddie Woodman his first ever game for the Newcastle first team and that would be fitting for one of our very best youngsters at the club;=.

Freddie shows every sign of being a top goalkeeper for Newcastle in the future, and he may be kept at the club through January before he is allowed to out on loan.

Freddie Woodman – could make his debut tomorrow night

But Freddie needs to get those valuable first team games so he can develop his game further.

This is some of what Rafa said during his press conference:

“We train very hard every day, we analyze things and try to correct things. We have belief that we will improve and be better.

“You have to approach the cup competitions with ambition, and try to progress with the squad we have.

“The players know we have to keep working hard and improve, and they are quite confident that we can do that soon.”

“I will use the other players, maybe one player from the U23s too, because we have to be sure we have a squad to play this game”

Freddie could even be the first team goalkeeper on Tyneside in two years time – he’s that good.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Nottingham Forest?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Jib

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:14 PM

The U23 has to be Freddy between the sticks surely .

• lochinvar

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:19 PM

Woodman will at least be happier that Elliot who needs to keep his own counsel and get on with being a keeper not a PR spokesman

• BenbulbenMag

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:43 PM

Lochinvar, I don’t know that that’s entirely fair on Elliot. Most of the time he’s one of our most upbeat players. He’s all about the squad and even when he’s out injured etc. he’s always looking to congratulate and encourage the team.

As one of the more sensible and senior members of the dressing room I was interested in what he had to say anyway. Whether he will continue as our number one is anyones guess (for the sake of my FPL team I hope so) but if someone replaces him watch him support and encourage them as he always does.

• Oldgit1

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:46 PM

At Jib, I don’t think woodman has played for the under 23s this season, could be an out player. Btw your previous post did make me laugh. Thanks for that

• Levi

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:54 PM

I don’t see any benefit in playing woodman tomorrow. I would be surprised.

• magspuggy

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:02 PM

I would like to see freddy get a game tommorrow and if he does well play him in the cup games all season. Its either that or we need to send him on loan . He needs to play so he does not get sick and want away. Can he kick a ball better than the other 2 ??

• young mag from cuckoo land

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:05 PM

Woody for number 1 starter for me

• Levi

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:07 PM

Magspuggy

I totally see what you’re saying and if rafa wants to have a look at him to see if he can play in the first team then great however I don’t think it matters how well he does rafa isn’t going to put him in goal for West ham. I don’t mind playing fringe players in the cup but there isnt any point playing reserve players.

• magspuggy

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:10 PM

I dont know if he is ready for the prem games yet . A cup run would be a good way to test the water . He needs a chance to prove himself be that at nufc or away on loan.

• DubaiMicky

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:14 PM

If Woodman starts, where does that leave Darlow?

I think Darlow will start, unless he’s about to leave, then Woodman will.

• magspuggy

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:14 PM

I see rafa shot the andy carrol links down in flames. Its just the press filling the papers. Same with the links of rafa going to west spam 🙂

• Levi

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:16 PM

My hope for Freddie is we can get another keeper in and send him on loan. And maybe you’re right about a cup run I just feel we need someone to battle with elliot. If rafa has no plans for him in the Premier league then play darlow. Who do you feel should start up front?

• YoungMag :P

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:22 PM

Could be Fernández? Would be interesting to see.

• optimistic prime

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:23 PM

I’d be shocked if woodman starts tommorow!

A lot of people moaning about Rafas selections in last two games yet want a un tested keeper to start a game they’ll lynch the manager for if we lose.

You couldn’t make it up, unless you’re a toon fan…

• Levi

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:27 PM

With the Fernández shout would love to see him get 20 mins but we got strikers who need to score a goal to get their season up and running. For me I would drop elliot, Ritchie, atsu, and Haydon as rafa knows exactly what we will get from them in the league.

• YoungMag :P

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:29 PM

Quite telling stats from the power rankings. We have the 2nd lowest player in the leaderboards. Just infront of Brighton.

Hayden has the most points from our squad with 952, then it’s Swansea with Ayew with 1572 (something like that). We’ve definitely been disappointing, but still time to turn it around.

• lesh

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:30 PM

Hibbit (@1, previous thread)

I must say I too was wondering whether Rafa’s pushing tbe boat out with Ashley.

At least there may be small chink of light in regard to outgoings (‘We are closer to outgoings than 2 days ago, but still I am not sure how close’) and the other clause (‘We are working on incomings behind the scenes”) could be part of the scene setting for a meeting of minds.

And when we hear about Praet being watched and discussions having taken place with his club, it crossed my mind that Rafa might just be preparing the ground where he agrees price, terms etc for the player and requests sign off from above. A ‘no’ from Ashley would run counter to Rafa’s perception of his authority over football matters including transfers and presenting Praet for sign off could represent a challenge which Ashley cannot cede to.

I hope I’m wrong and look forward to hearing that Rafa and Ashley continue to be best of buddies having cleared the air of any misunderstandings.

Hey ho……… Given the seeming endless controversy of Ashley’s tenure, following The Heed seems attractive! But then again and like many thousands of others, black ‘n’ white blood’s been coursing through my veins for too long to switch now.

• lesh

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:33 PM

Levi

Playing young Woodman tomorrow let’s the lad know he’s very much a part of Rafa’s thinking.

• magspuggy

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:33 PM

Op. So what would you have us do mate ?
    Its a cup game and we have another epl game on sat. I would be upset if rafa sent wor strongest 11 out and we struggled on sat because of it. Freddy needs either to s##t or get off the pot. Its not fair on him not to get a chance.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:34 PM

If Sterry is fit I think he will be the U23 player, Barlazer, Findlay or Fernandez could also be in the squad.

DeJong, Gamez, Murphy and Aarons may also be starters.

HT hopefully will be with the reserves somewhere far from St James Park.

• YoungMag :P

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:36 PM

We could be seeing this…

____________Darlow
    Gamez_Saivet_Clark_Mbemba
    ________Diame_Merino
    Murphy__Fernandez__Aarons
    ___________Joselu

Our defence is threadbare right now.

• YoungMag :P

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:38 PM

Obviously I doubt this is what he would pick, I just don’t see what our defence is going to be. He’s going to have to rest someone in case of an injury.

• Levi

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:40 PM

Magspuggy.
    I disagree momentum is more important then a rest. We are 2 games in and haven’t scored a goal yet. I’d play the striker that rafa plans for saturday

• Levi

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:41 PM

Lesh
    I agree we should play woodman if he is part of rafas plans. But if he isn’t what’s the point?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:42 PM

Lesh

It strange you should mention the Heed, but I popped into an adjacent reality just next door to ours and in that one they have been EPL champions for the last seven years and have just beaten Barcelona to add a 3rd successive Champions league cup to the bulging trophy cabinet, under the highly successful dual management team of Beardsley and Carver

Newcastle are in the Conference North League but surprisingly are still getting 50k+ gates.

Strange but true!!

• Tsunki

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:43 PM

He’ll be shoving an u-23 in the back four for certain Rafa’s not risking loding any more pl starters.

• Tsunki

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:43 PM

Losing

• magspuggy

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:45 PM

Young mag. I think manquillo , merino, nd josulu will play to allow them time to bed in. Mitro should get a run out but i dont know if he will alongside josulu. I would drop ritchie for murphy to protect him atsu for arrons same reason. Darlow i think we will sell if we buy another so give freddy a game.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:46 PM

Barlazer, Findlay swa them play in last years League cup – impressed – would like to see them get a start this year.

• Levi

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:46 PM

I’d take Clarke out the back 4 and move mbemba to the middle and play some one at left back. As I agree we can’t afford to lose another defender

• magspuggy

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:51 PM

Levi i would play josulu/mitro and send gayle on after an hour with a veiw to playing gayle and one of the other 2 on saturday. Or if gayles unwell perez

• Levi

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:57 PM

Magspuggy I’d agree with that.

• SPRINGY

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:58 PM

I think with darlow apparently been made available for sale and the other teams starting look at woodman,once again apparently….i think woodman will start…1, to keep him sweet and 2, get him some game time….maybe wrong like!lol

• optimistic prime

Aug 22, 2017 at 4:03 PM

Magspuggy

So your happy to blow the cups on the chance we’ll get a injured player?

I’d pick Darlow or Elliot over Woodman, it’s a bit of a pressure cooker situation to be dropping a untested kid into, it’s one of the most demanding positions on the pitch with the witch hunt currently going on, one mistake and some would never let it go.

This is a game Rafa will be desperate to get a result in, can’t see him sending out anyone for a debut despite what’s been said.

• Ron Knee

Aug 22, 2017 at 4:04 PM

If somebody could score a goal it would be progress of sorts!

• magspuggy

Aug 22, 2017 at 4:05 PM

Unless we change tatics darlow aint the answer hes the same as elliot. Cant kick the ball to bump start the counter attack.
    Freddys issue is he cant do the job unless he has experiance but cant get it without doing the job . Catch 22.

• magspuggy

Aug 22, 2017 at 4:08 PM

I would happily bin the cups this year for epl safety. I also think we will see 2 debuts imho its all the cups worth this year

• Levi

Aug 22, 2017 at 4:10 PM

Magspuggy I agree with what you say apart from the goalkeeper situation.
    So we play woodman and he plays well and elliot gets injured Thursday morning I’d bet my last pound darlow would start against the hammers.

• Levi

Aug 22, 2017 at 4:15 PM

Also does any one really think that throwing the cups away will help is stay in the Premier league?

• Ibizatoon

Aug 22, 2017 at 4:15 PM

Are we the fans already having to decide whether we’re interested in PL safety or a cup run after only 2 games of the new season?