Geordie Fans Have Their Say On Newcastle’s Current Situation

At the beginning of May after Mike Ashley’s meeting with Rafa, everything seemed to be set for a great summer of getting some really good players into the club, so we could have a decent side who could finish in the upper half of the Premier League table.

Even owner Mike Ashley seemed to be on board and said Rafa could have every penny the club has in this summer’s transfer window and Rafa seemed happy enough.

The good news was that Mike promised every penny the club had – the bad news turned out to be the club doesn’t have many pennies available.

We have not been able to compete financially even with the mid-table clubs in the Premier League.

It would seem hard to screw this up after being promoted from the Championship under world-class manager Rafa Benitez with the manager wanting to make Newcastle United into the great club we should be.

But let’s just say it hasn’t gone well, and with just six days left in the transfer window, we still have around seven players to sell and haven’t brought in any top-class class players to the club – because we cannot afford them.

WE make out net spend around £23M.

Here’s what some fans are saying as they go to Twitter to talk about our current situation.

• G

Aug 25, 2017 at 8:43 AM

I don’t think there is anything new being said there to be honest. We always knew (those of us whom have a modicum of intelligence anyway) that survival and consolidation was the only target this season. I can see good things happening next season if we beat the drop, but that was always going to be a big ask anyway. Yes, our club should be in the top half of the Prem if the table was build on following, however, it’s a money game now, and we need to build again.

• Krul To Be Kind

Aug 25, 2017 at 8:47 AM

Repost ref Jovetic

He was injured a lot at city… He kept getting knocks but he was eye catching when he got a run of games. I remember him as a winger with fiorentina, broke into the side very young with huge expectations but niggly injuries have stopped him from reaching his full potential, a versatile and intelligent forward player from what I’ve seen over the years although admittedly I havent seen much off him since city let him go. If he still has the hunger he once had I’d have him in a heartbeat and if he is pushing for a move to Spain then I highly doubt he is money motivated as he would get a better contract in the PL compared to Sevilla.

• G

Aug 25, 2017 at 8:49 AM

Krul, I was getting at the fact that if he wants to go to Spain, then the only factor that would swing him back to England would be cash. If that’s the case, then I for one don’t want him.

• Krul To Be Kind

Aug 25, 2017 at 8:53 AM

G

You’re absolutely right… When the want for more cash is prevalent then it’s a no for me too… I just think for some reason that he still has the drive to do well but it’s hard to find that out without pulling the top on… A season loan a la Remy with an option to buy this time to see if he still has that drive without throwing away the budget, I’d say he’d be at the top of our wage bill though

• Krul To Be Kind

Aug 25, 2017 at 8:56 AM

And I’d probably have a blinkered view though after following his breakthrough from fiorentina to his meteoric rise to city… Where it went a bit wrong for him.

• G

Aug 25, 2017 at 8:57 AM

That might work Krul, however, I can’t see either the player or the clubs going for that. To be honest, I still think there is a plan in action somewhere and 1 or 2 new signings out of nowhere might yet happen. I am hoping there is another gem that hasn’t been identified anywhere will pop out of nowhere and amaze us all.

• Wayayman

Aug 25, 2017 at 8:58 AM

Re Jovetic, do Montenegrans get on ok with Serbs these days? I remember we didn’t go for Shaqiri before he moved to Stoke as there was no way the lad could have trained with Mitro every day due to Shaquiri being an Albanian Muslim and very politically motivated. Maybe that’s why we’re trying to offload Mitro as well?

• lochinvar

Aug 25, 2017 at 9:00 AM

Lazaar states that his playing time and career in Newcastle has been a catastrophe but yet will sit here for one reason and one reason only.

The Italian broadcaster say Bologna have offered €500,000 (approx £460,000) in wages per year for Lazaar but the Newcastle player is holding out for his Newcastle wages to be matched, Achraf Lazaar said to be earning €1m (£920,000) per year at St James Park.

If he goes next door to the RVI he might wake up when he asks a Nurse how long it takes them to earn that sort of money. 30 years or more. Now Mr. Lazaar how do you feel ? This won’t hurt at all, cough please.

• Krul To Be Kind

Aug 25, 2017 at 9:02 AM

G

I’ve everything crossed that’s the case… We need something special to take us to the next level… Hard work and grafting will only get you so far, we need an attacker that changes the landscape for us. Correa at Athletico would be my first choice… He’s one of those bustling coiled springs that works his socks off has pace to burn and could be as good as Tevez was or Aguero is… That type of little player would do me, an upgrade on Gayle but can also play the hole if a big man need to come on to mix things up!

• Krul To Be Kind

Aug 25, 2017 at 9:05 AM

Loch

It’s hard to believe that he was brought here as a squad player for a side in the second tier and his wages can’t be matched by a Serie A side… Couldn’t make it up!!!

• posada

Aug 25, 2017 at 9:16 AM

Krul
    That’s the trouble. Apart from a few teams nobody in France, Spain or Italy can match the wages we pay.
    A move to an English side is a one way thing. They can’t go back.

Anyway, keeping it football. Surely there is a loan deal to be done for somebody like Remy or Bony. We need that sort of presence, that goal threat. Having said that I don’t know how fit they are or what form they have, but those in the game will. There are no secrets in football when it comes to that sort of thing.

• posada

Aug 25, 2017 at 9:18 AM

Aarons the other day looked bigger and stronger than this time last year.
    He’s 22 shortly, not a kid anymore.