Rafa And Mike Ashley Have Until Thursday To Make This A Very Decent Transfer Window

Rafa Benitez still wants to bring in a left-back, a goalkeeper, a winger and another striker, but who will actually arrive before Thursday night is an excellent question.

Kenedy is expected to be signed on a season loan, and that deal should go through once we get the go ahead from Chelsea.

And we are pursuing a number of strikers who could come in and give us four out-and-out strikers this season – which we badly need.

And as for a new left back, we have recently been linked with Argentine International Nicolas Tagliafico, who plays for Buenos Aries club Independiente and we could get for under £4M.

Left-Back target Nicolas Tagliafico

The 3-0 win and excellent performance against the Hammers at home on Saturday has lifted the mood among Newcastle supporters significantly, and it was good to see four of our new signings play an important part in that win.

Benitez was asked a rather negative question – if he believed a defeat against West Ham would have made it easier to get the reinforcements we need this week.

This is how Rafa answered that question as reported in the Chronicle:

“No, I don’t think it makes a difference.”

“We have some names and we have some targets and we are trying to do that business.”

“It doesn’t change the situation too much. Maybe any club will have a player available that you are not expecting to come on to the market.”

“At the moment we know what we need and what we can get but the result won’t change it too much.”

“For me, this is a confirmation of the way we have to do things.”

“We said the same against Tottenham but people always remember the score.”

“They don’t remember the game when we were well organized and worked so hard. Huddersfield they didn’t have any chances; we didn’t have many chances.”

“Against West Ham we worked as hard as in the other games, but we had the advantages of the first goal and then we were growing in confidence.”

“It’s difficult to say if I expected a performance like that.”  “We prepared well. We thought we could do this or that.”

“And we thought they could do this or that. The preparations went well.”

“There were a lot of positives in terms of the preparations and the commitment of the players.”

We could yet end up with a decent transfer window as it looks the players we have already signed may be better than we first thought.

What we now need is for owner Mike Ashley to get behind Rafa like everybody else – the fans, the players, the journalists – and help him make the signings he wants to make before Thursday night.

Who better to run the club for you than Rafa Benitez?

Mike should realize that and realize it (very) quickly too before he loses him.

Losing Rafa Benitez would be an unmitigated tragedy for this club.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:05 AM

Is Mikey trying to make Rafa walk or is thatvMirror story just a load of BS. If is then surely Rafa or the club could sue them!

• Veltman

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:16 AM

EllaGuru – aye, agree with much of what you said.Poor internet took me too long to respond usually. Most holding mf players look invisible and is quite common.He looked good agt Westham but not so in previous games.Hope someone more aggressive with big physical presence brought in still for that area as he seems weak and incompetent in the air? for me.

• hibbit

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:19 AM

Jail for Ashley

think its odd that the Chronicle aren’t running with this story surely this is big local football headline that the Chronicle would normally pounce on

• sing in the corner

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:20 AM

JfA
    Dunno about Rafa / club suing them, but I am considering it cos I’m sure clicking their rancid web page has kicked my iPad in the nuts!

• EllaGuru

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:21 AM

Sing

Repost here from previous thread.

I can’t see Lascelles keeping either Clark or Lejeune out of the starting 11 when both are fully fit. I know he is the captain, but he is a limited defender in every sense of the expression. Clark and Lejeune much more comfortable on the ball, equally strong in the tackle, and Lejeune looks great in the air the small bit I saw of him.

• EllaGuru

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:23 AM

Veltman,

I just hope it is more a case of him getting up to speed with the PL. I think he has the skills to be a decent holding mid, he just needs game time at this level.
    It is true that he is weak in the air (but if we keep Merino in the starting 11, problem solved!). I really think/hope Hayden will get better and more consistent as the season progresses

• lochinvar

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:26 AM

The Mirror is no more a reliable source of information than a water filled paper bag is to keep your goldfish in. They don’t know what conversations talk place inside fortress SJP and are a complete waste of print and paper.

• sing in the corner

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:32 AM

EllaG
    Yeah, it’s a good sign we have a bit of competition for places in some areas.
    We are getting there, and we all knew it would take time. This season we need to make sure we buy ourselves a bit of that.
    Pleased to see De Jong is set to leave. We have given him a lot of patience and time in terms of trying to get him on the pitch but sometimes you just have to cut your losses. I don’t want to criticise too much as he has been unlucky with his injuries. But all I can recall from him in the entire time he has been here was missing a ‘sitter’ of a header (if I can call it that) at the far post..

• Ron Knee

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:33 AM

Bishop’s Black Arts.

• expatmag

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:36 AM

Ella

A limited defender?

Yeah.. . Right

• Veltman

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:39 AM

How much is it for Siem De Jong?

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:40 AM

I cannot see why RAFA would leave in the near future – as he seems to be building a decent team (his team) with the acqusitions he has brought in. His team his tactics formation – I know I quite often quibble at one up front or Perez and Gayle playing together (does not work). But on Saturday they looked like a fluid unit playing together as a unit/team best I have seen them in a long time and I know it will get tougher.

I ENJOYED THAT WIN more than a lot last season.

I also it will make RAFA a better manager because he could not just go out and buy what he wanted and has had to work in the constrains of Ashley’s budget. Shrewd buys so far still need another three then it has been a good transfer window

• G

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:43 AM

Loch @ 7. Couldn’t have put it better.

• hibbit

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:45 AM

Charlie
    not worried about Rafa walking away more worried about him being pushed

• sing in the corner

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:45 AM

Veltman
    £4 million seems to being bandied about.
    But I’d be surprised if there aren’t all sorts of clauses etc written into it.
    Mind you it is Amsterdam. Maybe they’re affected by passive schmoking?

• OneAlanShearer

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:46 AM

Lascelles is a steady defender but he lacks pace and is not as assured on the ball under pressure as Clark or Lejeune.
    Both should start ahead of him. Mbemba is arguably better too.
    I’d consider moving to 343 or 352 in some games as I would like to see how we get on.

On another note, our striking options seem to all be going elsewhere. I hope we get praet, this argie left back, a top keeper and Slimani. I’d take Carroll or jovatic as well.

• Ron Knee

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:50 AM

lochinvar

The Mirror didn’t pluck this story out of thin air. It has all the hallmarks of Ashley’s PR minions.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:51 AM

Hibby
    Why would Ashley push RAFA out he is his biggest Asset – mind you he may be like Trump a narsistic cretin who feels threatened by RAFA’s popularity

• EllaGuru

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:53 AM

expatmag

Explain? What, if not a limited defender, is Lascelles?

• sing in the corner

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:54 AM

Charlie
    Aye but Ashley would be threatened by Trump or Hitler’s popularity. 🙂

• hibbit

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:55 AM

Charlie
    expect the unexpected with Ashley !!!!!

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:58 AM

Charlie,
    Exactly that, he’s been pretty much been called a liar in not so many words and I bet he’s fuming. Plus Rafa never dedicated Saturday’s win to Mikey and adding “But you have to remember Mike is a fan of this football club” like the erstwhile Pardew did after being hung out to dry in the transfer window.

• EllaGuru

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:58 AM

sing

Agreed fully on SDJ. I was thinking that he might have a look in as he featured quite a lot in preseason, but obviously Rafa has made his mind up, and I am happy to trust his decision.
    SDJ has been unlucky with injuries, but it is time to move on, and if we are able to get 4M for him, then happy days

• lochinvar

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:00 AM

Looks like Arsenal, West Ham and Crystal Palace could all soon be without Managers. Openings for David Moyes, Alan Pardew and Steve McClaren.
    The Magic Roundabout starts again.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:06 AM

I’ve still never managed to understand why Ashley hired KK and discussed his CL ambitions only to deliberately undermine him as soon as he took the job. Baffling.

• expatmag

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:14 AM

ELLA

I dont find him limited at all. He is young and learning his trade, improving as each season goes by. He was one of the few who stood up and was counted in the relegation season. He formed an excellent partnership with Chancel Mbemba and damned near helped to save us from the inevitable.

Despite offers from the likes of Chelsea, he stayed on as captain, played half last season carrying an injury and ultimately led us to the championship title.

I thought he was dominant along with Clark against WHU and for those who think he hs slow, have a look at some of his covering fellow defenders.

He is excellent in the air, winning the majority of his challenges. His djsposal could be improved but I guess you could say that about 90% of centre halves.

And he is only 23 or 24

Yeah mate, he is really fcuking limited

• cyprus

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:15 AM

When everyone is fit is Mbemba on the bench?

Seems unfair.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:16 AM

Lascelles played really well v West Ham so for those saying he’s not good enough or should be dropped is quite frustrating. Regardless of him being captain, the shirt is his now and he should keep until performances start to lower.

Hayden was quality against West Ham, you could tell he enjoyed the midfield battle against noble and coming out on top. Noble is a good premier league player too. Think a few people forget that this is his 3rd game in the premier league so he is adjusting too. He was good v Spurs, especially in the first half. Right now, for me, it should be Hayden and merino/shelvey. It seems diame is competing with Hayden for a midfield spot.

• expatmag

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:18 AM

OAS

Do you remember Chelsea offering 17 million quid for Lascelles at the beginning of the championship season?

Could you see them offering yhat amount if money for Mbemba?…..Lejeune?…….Clark?

• cyprus

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:20 AM

I think Clark is better but lascelles is also very good.

Hayden played well too.

The whole team performed.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:20 AM

Is Mbemba good enough at LB to keep Dummet out of the team.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:20 AM

Cyprus
    It does seem unfair but that’s part of a good competitive squad. You have good players fighting to play. Our cbs include lascelles, Clarke, Lejuene and mbemba, for me that is a really good selection of centre halfs. Whoever misses out can consider themselves unlucky but it just means two of them are playing well.

I guess he could play at left back and compete with dummett but I would prefer a natural left back to come in, although mbemba did well there on Saturday.

• EllaGuru

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:21 AM

expatmag

You make some reasonable arguments. I agree, Lascelles is solid in the tackle and also in the air, and is willing to speak out when things are not going well. That is a sign of a leader. The fact that he played half a season injured is commendable if not a little foolish.

It is not just his distribution that is poor however. He is incredibly nervous with the ball at his feet. He is extremely sluggish when trying to get the ball moving forwards, and unfortunately usually ends up just hoofing it. I say he is limited because of this.
    If we want to play fast, counter attacking football, which is clearly the case, then we need defenders who can initiate said fast counter attacks.

Dont get me wrong, I think Lascelles is a committed defender, and definitely a breath of fresh air compared to our last captain, but unfortunately he is lacking in some areas of his game, and I am unsure if he will be able to develop this as he gets more experience.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:21 AM

A potential future problem that could occur is that Mr Tubbs does not offer Rafa a new contract.
    Benitez has transformed the club – I thought the days of bad press/lack of communication were over but it appears that things are festering below the surface.
    Benitez has worked tirelessly, had no holidays, is obviously using his contacts for the benefit of the club – he could do all of this and still get shafted by Mr Tubbs.
    So my thoughts are – we retain PL status, get the big TV dosh and then Mr Tubbs gives Rafa a right royal shafting – and sells up.

• cyprus

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:22 AM

RA
    All good points.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:24 AM

Omg someone has bid £23 million for Johnny Evans and it was actually rejected by WBA. Really don’t know what to think, just shocking lol.

• expatmag

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:24 AM

I hope people are NOT getting sucked in by our very good performance against West Ham.

They were the worst opponents I have seen for many years. They were clearly disorgamised and had little or no plan to win the game. I even doubt they were playing for their manager. If they were, Bilic deserves to be sacked.

The next three winnable games against Swansea Stoke and Brighton will be infinitely harder.

• posada

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:26 AM

Expat
    Did they offer that much. I doubt it.

We played a high tempo game. High energy. For the first time since I don’t know when.
    How and why were we able to.

Well first we had a forward who could play the one up front role.

Two. No JJS in the team. I don’t think he has the engine to play that way. Talented yes, but does not have the athletic ability. You need everyone to be able to do it I think.
    In fairness to him he has got fitter and probably as fit as it is possible for him to get.
    But, you can’t put in what God left out. Think this is the main cause of his frustrations at times.

• TyneMouth

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:26 AM

In terms of fan approval, and a player’s importance to the team, the accolade ” his name would be first on the team sheet!” is often read, or heard.

I’m not certain that Managers/Coaches start composing their next team sheet on that basis, but I’m sure that throughout Shearer’s career, (with the exception of R Guhlit!) his name was the first to be ‘penciled in’.

It might be interesting, and possibly revealing, to discover the value placed by this blog, on the individual current squad members, assuming all are fit, and are not suspended!

For what it’s worth, these are the first five players on my virtual team sheet, in descending order. They are not who I think Rafa would would necessarily select.

First; CLARK
    Second; RITCHIE.
    Third; MBEMBA.
    Fourth; HAYDEN.
    Fifth; DUMMETT.

Don’t expect any agreements, but pick the bones out of that as you may!

Happy Bank Holiday, to one and all…

When a player

• expatmag

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:27 AM

Ella

Lascelles can learn the disposal side of the defensive game as the season goes by.

In the meantime, he can win it and give it to Merino or Shelvey. No problem.