Some Good News For Newcastle For A Change

New today in the Chronicle that both Florian Lejeune and DeAndre Yedlin should be fit again to return to the squad for the game at Swansea on Sunday afternoon.

Florian has recovered fully from the ankle injury he picked up in the first half of the first game against Spurs.

DeAndre has also finally recovered from his hamstring injury he picked up during pre-season, but it’s doubtful he will come straight back into the side on Sunday. with Javier Manquillo doing a decent job at right-back in the first three PL games of the season.

Javier Manquillo has been doing a decent job at right-back in the first three PL games of the season and could keep his place.

We think Florian is probably our best center-back this season, and he was impressive in pre-season.

So maybe he will return to the starting eleven at Swansea with Ciaran Clark possibly switching to left back in place of Chancel Mbemba, who has done well at left back for the last few games.

So some good news for a change for Newcastle and we are assuming that striker Dwight Gayle is available again after his recent sickness although we would expect the impressive Joselu to lead the line in south Wales.

And news today that Fulham may come back for Dwight in January, and we assume Rafa will try to get another striker lined up on loan or a permanent signing in January so we could cash in on Dwight.

It will all depend of course on how well Gayle plays for Newcastle through the end of this year.

If he scores lots of goals for us then he will be going nowhere.

What do you think?

Comments welcome

• lesh

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:00 PM

Ed

We don’t want good news – we’re wallowing in the bad and thoroughly enjoying it thank you very much! 🙂

• Ron Knee

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:02 PM

Good news on injuries.

Protests:
    Organise another petition (I assume it’s been done before.).
    Boycott SD shops and products.
    Wear anti-Ashley and/or pro-Rafa t-shirts at matches.

None of that should upset the team!

• lesh

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:06 PM

On the love letters to Ashley front,

Send them to SD Shirebroook – unstamped

Likewise to:

His local pub
    the pubs he uses for his SD management meetings
    All SD outlets
    SD major shareholders such as the pension funds, insurers (stamped though)

Anywhere to let the world at large know what he’s up to.

• toontaff2

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:06 PM

All this good news from ED – might have to go for 1-6 vs WG9s lot!
    Get in for us happy clappers!

• hibbit

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:12 PM

slank @57
    because after Ashley the companies you mention are the biggest beneficiary’s of Ashley abuse of NUFC
    if there not happy they can sell there shares and get out which is just about the same offer Ashley gives us

hibbit
    Sep 4, 2017 at 5:01 PM
    in case people on here hadn’t noticed the stock market is Ashley’s achilles heel it’s the one thing he can’t control

anything that affects SD share price affects Ashley

• Ron Knee

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:31 PM

Great free kick from Eriksen.

• rab

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:32 PM

should have a gentle PS “after being cruelly scythed down by the blue eyed boy wonder”

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:42 PM

Send the letters to me if you want. I’ll make sure he gets them as I know someone who works in the offices with the fat one!

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:47 PM

So often, Shelvey drops off to hang out with the centre backs, so he can float a long ball to the wingers. In Lejeune, we have a centre back who can perform that task, freeing Shelvey, or whoever, to look for space or to cause more problems further up the pitch. I am looking forward to seeing how we play, when everyone is fit and the team have had time to gel.
    Hopefully we can get some good results and build confidence. I’m optimistic for the season, but anything can happen. Even though Leicester had a good run of form to survive relegation; to suggest they would go on to win the league the following season would have been considered highly unrealistic; but ultimately became very real.
    All truths are true and all bloggers have value and something to say. Thankyou all for your input and the joys/pains/laughter/surprise/consternation those inputs bring.
    HWTL

• Jib

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:53 PM

I’m still struggling with Rafa’s dummy spitting – he’s 57 ffs
    Just because he didn’t get his way in an unbelievably volatile
    transfer market ( which he acknowledged himself) all of a
    sudden NUFC isn’t a project anymore ? wtf is that about.
    I’m just pleased he seems made of sterner stuff than the
    serial toy chucker – Joseph Kevin Keegan – who btw cannot
    even get a job as a pundit these days!

• Belfast

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:59 PM

I’ve just shit in an envelope Shirebrook…

What’s your address ?

• Jib

Sep 4, 2017 at 6:04 PM

Belfast
    That makes a change from the bath

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 4, 2017 at 6:13 PM

Cockwell inn
    Tillit
    Herts
    HU63 N08

• cyprus

Sep 4, 2017 at 6:42 PM

Lesh
    Enjoyed your first post there 🙂

On Florian, my opinion: wait for your chance son. Who will you replace from a solid defense? They all did well in the last game.

I know you read this blog Rafa, to kill time and, well, feel good. Don’t you worry, someone will fxxk up in defense, then you can bring in your boy or Yedlin. Don’t reward good play with benching.

Which reminds me of MF and attack. Let Shelvey warm the bench, he’s over hyped anyway.

Up front, well there’s only one choice.

10? He’s learning, leave him there.

Wingers? Read what I said re defense.

First name on the sheet? You know it: our most consistent MOM. Ask Ed for details.

• cyprus

Sep 4, 2017 at 6:43 PM

Shire
    The guy you know is on zero hours, right?

• cyprus

Sep 4, 2017 at 6:44 PM

Shire
    You sure you want to receive Belfast’s correspondence?

• Lindisfarne

Sep 4, 2017 at 6:47 PM

The Chronicle seem to think Florian Lejeune and Mikel Merino are from the same country!

• toontaff2

Sep 4, 2017 at 6:51 PM

Several sacks full of a few thousand letters, similar to Belfast’s – that should create a stir – maybe Shire could get his mate to switch the fans on?

• cyprus

Sep 4, 2017 at 6:53 PM

And Belfast,
    Which mailing method do you use? Courier or regular Royal? How do you secure the contents? Is what you’ve done legal?

Please don’t answer any of these questions.

• Tramp

Sep 4, 2017 at 6:58 PM

I wonder if Ed would be willing to change the layout of the blog. Lay it out more like a forum with different subheadings. There are jus too many comments that are so unrelated to each other yet are bundled in to one column of conversation. It gives me a headache. I very rarely comment but I really enjoy reading the individual breakdowns of how the team are doing, are best prospects, starting 11’s, tactics etc. It’s such a headache having to scroll through the jaded Mike Ashley posts. It would be nice to log on to the blog and navigate to what I’m interested in? I enjoy the football. The stats of each player week in week out, studying and enjoying their performances, scrutinising the tactics and substitutions, I have no interest in Mike Ashley, gossip, rumours, conspiracies etc. I don’t know, just a thought. I feel it would really improve the blog if we had dedicated areas specific to various topics of conversation?

• toontaff2

Sep 4, 2017 at 6:58 PM

I got caught up in the Hull boycott stuff. Having been in Sgt. Peppers, partaking of some ale, chatting to some Hull fans, got roped into carrying and handing out a large collection of those posters! Seemed like a good idea at the time.
    Only twice, including this time, have I ever arrived late for a game – Wigan game a few year back, I arrived 3 minutes after kick off – Titus scored for Wigan, thought we’d won 2-1,but it was 2-2 – I felt a bit silly, asking why so many were so glum!
    Arriving about 20 minutes late for Hull game, armed with a large wad of posters, the head steward stopped me entering, saying I was too drunk. Mind sneaked in at half-time and gave out the posters!

• toontaff2

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:00 PM

Did it achieve anything?
    I was down at Villa when we were relegated and I blame Duff’s own goal, more than my protest, but I would not bother with the ‘protest’, again, unless I was very, very drunk!

• toontaff2

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:02 PM

Tramp, are you interested in discussing football finances with our resident accountant, Jeremy Corbyn?

• cyprus

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:02 PM

Tramp
    Reasonable point.

T2,
    Consider watching your games in a pub.

• toontaff2

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:08 PM

Cyprus, as other posters have pointed out, the Sky revenue far outweighs us poor season ticket holders’ cash – so should everyone stop watching Toon on the telly?
    I have my own cunning plan – I have short arms and deep pockets – deep enough to hide a can or 3 in! Saves my hard earned cash and means the fatbloke gets nowt from me in his catering outlets at the match!
    Amazes me, some fans near me, the ones who miss kick off, go at 35 minutes, return about 55 minutes, leave about 80minutes, just to go buy rounds at Ashley’s outlet! Must be a gang of 10+ putting a fair few quid in to his pockets – £40+ x 3-5 + grub – around £400 every match? My cans £4 to a local shop.

• toontaff2

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:09 PM

I no longer can manage away trips, so tv, radio, streams for away days – season ticket, never miss a match at home.

• Toonces

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:10 PM

Ciaran/Ruddy – you made a comment a couple threads back about the clubs all getting the same amount of tv money and each has a minimum number of times they must be shown on tv. That is partly correct. However, some clubs are shown more times on tv than the other clubs. They get extra tv money as a result. That is how during our relegation season (and others previous) we actually received more money from the league than some clubs that finished above us in the table. However, in terms of the total amount of PL money received it is a small portion. The only portion of the tv money, I understand, that is equally shared among all PL clubs is the foreign tv rights money. Coincidentally, Newcastle is also a larger draw overseas than many of the mid-table brigade, thanks to recent memories, now fading, of the KK’s entertainers days and robson’s crew.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:11 PM

Hattrick from Delaney today…not bad!

I like that 4-3-3 formation…Rafa take notice!

• Ron Knee

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:18 PM

Delaney. That’s a fine Danish name, jesper!

• cyprus

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:19 PM

T2,
    Solid plan mate.

• cyprus

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:20 PM

Those pockets must be custom made 🙂

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:21 PM

Anyone who owns a tall ladder know any good anagrams of sportsdirect.com?

• Ron Knee

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:21 PM

Tramp

“… the jaded Mike Ashley posts …” In other words, you want Rafa to stop whining and get on with the job, right?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:25 PM

Ron…it is isn’t it 🙂 lol

His grandparents moved from Ireland to the States. His mother is Danish though and he was born in Copenhagen

• Online Guy

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:25 PM

Hello to all , I’v missed you .

The day after the transfer window closed and it dawned on we Newcastle United supporters that Ashley had not backed Rafa as he had promised, a few dozen new names cropped up on the blog defending Ashley.

I wonder how many of the new names were under instruction and hailed from the east midlands …Mansfield area ? Methinks that propaganda abounds and the school of liars are afoot and in cahoots .

Check out the New names that are pro Ashley…falsified the blog and skews debate.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:26 PM

Magscar…Only as you name checked me. On the initial point, I missed your original post, but yes, you could argue that fans played a part in the Hull result (maybe) and then you could say those were the points that relegated us, but as you say, you could also pick any number of other things throughout the season to suit ones point.

The upshot is, over the season, did fans protesting get us relegated? No chance.

I get there has been a lot said in the past, both by those who go to games and those who don’t, which has created a sort of us and them culture. It’s not helpful to either side imo.

There are differing types of fans, as a small group on here constantly like to tell everyone, Ciaran was clearly referring to match attending fans and obviously considers himself a Newcastle fan (I do too, btw).

You don’t fight battles because you think you’ll win, you fight them because they need to be fought. I find the idea that Ciaran is simply looking for a cause to flex his activism as ridiculous. He feels activism is needed to get the best out of our club. You may disagree with that, but it doesn’t give you the right to falsely label his intentions. You do realise that Ciaran used to be pro-Ashley? Times change, views changes and ideas on how best to move forward change.

You may feel that I only post to pursue the chance to coerce others into fighting for me, but i actually only post because I’m a fan. If I think that protests are a good way forward, I’ll say so (incidentally, I’ve probably argued against them as much as I have for them over the years on here).

You do hit on a very valid point though. You cannot harness that crowd. You can talk to and discuss ideas with them though. If and when something happens on a big scale, it will be organic, that doesn’t mean nothing can be done or that nothing should in the meantime, surely?

As for Blackburn / Coventry…not looking for a cause, just dealing with our own.

• hibbit

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:27 PM

does Ashley do face book or anything like that we can bombard, letters just seem like a waste of a stamp

• Ibizatoon

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:28 PM

hibbit…Aye, he’s real chatty on Twitter 🙂

• hibbit

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:30 PM

Ibizatoon how do we find him ?

• Ron Knee

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:32 PM

jesper

Denmark top of the group!