Newcastle Player Makes Jamie Redknapp’s Team Of The Week

Jamaal Lascelles excellent performance for Newcastle yesterday has been noticed, and he makes Jamie Redknapp’s Premier League’s Team of the Week.

The other player who was outstanding for us yesterday was Spanish U21 International Mikel Merino who put in another strong performance in central midfield, and the lad is keeping Jonjo Shelvey on the bench.

We expect Mikel to be recognized by the national press sooner rather than later.

And it seems we have an obligation to buy him for £6M after he’s made 20 first team appearances for Newcastle – according to GOAL.

The sooner we can do that the better.

Jamaal Lascelles – makes Team of the Week

Congratulations to both our players on two excellent performances yesterday.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Swansea?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:29 AM

Ed is on the warpath with these articles!

I know I’m often the harbinger of doom but I must say that I was mightily impressed with that performance at the weekend. Defended excellently for the most part and Merino was a cut above the rest in the centre of the park. Joselu, while limited, will definitely chip in with a few goals this season – he’s a beast in the air. Lascelles is a real leader and showed that leadership at both ends of the pitch.

Murphy didn’t impact the game, Perez was awful and Manquillo is prone to switching off once or twice a game which will cost us if he doesn’t wake up.

All in all, a very positive win and an unexpected 3 points!

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:32 AM

I find it very strange that the few posters that wanted Rafa to stfu and get on with are the ones saying this saseason is about establishing ourselves and building for the future. Do they honestly believe that Rafa, after being told to stfu by three Ashley goons and a complete breakdown in trust with Ashley himself is going to sit down for another round of talks before signing a new contract???

• blew

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:32 AM

Never been a fan of Lascelles, but a great performance from him – long may it continue. And a special mention for Mikel.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:34 AM

Felt a bit sorry for Joselu had the beating of Mawson time and time again in the air.
    But as he went to head the ball Mawson pushed him in the back every time – The useless REF was in line to see it but did absolute nothing – should of stamped on it along with a lot of other things going on

• Bobbybee

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:35 AM

Starting to look like pound for pound we bought better than many other clubs who got caught up in the feeding frenzy.
    Merino at six million or Clucas at 18? Lejeune at under nine million looks a real bargain too. Hopefully Murphy will develop into a bargain buy as well, he just needs time to adjust to moving to such a huge club after Norwich I reckon. Not what you spend, it’s how you spend it and who you spend it on – ain’t that right Rafa? 🙂

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:36 AM

Jail

I don’t think any self-respecting NUFC fan should be saying that a world-class manager like Rafa should ‘stfu’ or ‘get on with it’

He’s a manager who is in the upper echelons of football management, and one of a handful of managers working today who have Champions League winning pedigree and as such we should be giving him the world.

Luckily, these fans are few and far between and for the most part we’re all on Rafa’s side in that we feel he has been badly let down by Ashley. Realistically, it doesn’t matter what happens from here on in as Benitez’s days are numbered so let’s enjoy it while it lasts I guess.

• Bobbybee

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:40 AM

You need to stfu jail. 🙂 Still backing the boycott or will you flip flop yet again? Need to change your picture to a fish on the riverbank pal.
    What was it you described Rafa’s team as the other day? Oh yeah, ‘this lot’. Well, this lot turned in a great performance yesterday.

• Jib

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:43 AM

Charlie in the Gallowgate
    Sep 10, 2017 at 3:08 PM
    I think we wil get pummelled looking at the way Swansea have lined up with Abrahams, Ayew up front with Sanches playing behind and Fer who also gets on the score sheet

Stick to playing cricket at Bamburgh
    This is why I take your home match accounts with a pinch of salt

• Bobbybee

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:46 AM

I did explain that stfu is just an expression, but jail being so anally retentive just can’t let anything go bless him. No laxatives in the medical centre on the rigs?
    Strange how Rafa himself said exactly what I said a couple of days later – that there was no point continually complaining to the press because they couldn’t help him. Virtually word for word.
    Let’s get it right jail. I said he should stfu complaining to the press and talk to Ashley, because only Ashley could provide the money, not the press.
    Go on, get out on boycott and make a mug of yourself AGAIN.
    What a cry baby you truly are.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:47 AM

Bobby

Why so aggressive to fellow fans? We’re all on the same side and we want what’s best for our club. The best manager we’ve had in a generation has been let down by the owner – regardless of the result yesterday, and that is an indisputable fact.

The sad thing is that even if we finish mid-table, that’s not where a man of Rafa’s calibre belongs. He wanted real investment (which can still be shrewd and canny spending) on a) more players and b) better players – and he hasn’t been given that, or given it to a sufficient degree.

One swallow doesn’t make a summer mate.

• Jib

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:54 AM

Typically of Rafa’s teams there’s a rake of players who will chip in with goals this season.
    Perez
    Murphy
    Ritchie
    Atsu
    Hayden
    Merino
    Diame
    Yedlin
    Should all be on 5+ for the season.
    Shelvey needs to start scoring more !
    Along with the recognised strikers scoring and the defenders chipping in with the odd one
    I foresee no problems scoring this season.

• catchy in norway

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:58 AM

Lascelles had his best game for us, great clearence and great header for the goal. but i voted Merino, his overall game for the 90 mins was outstanding.
    wasnt sure what Lascelles was thinking when he tried to header the ball on the ground though

• JDdubai

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:59 AM

Pleasantly surprisd by the performance and result.

Joselu’s linkup play and aerial ability are vital
    It shows that we are really missing a top no10, Perez again anonymous. Would like to see someone else given a chance there, either move Ritchie inside and Aarons/Atsu on the wing or…..cant think of another option other than 2 up front whoch as we know isnt going to happen with Rafa.
    Merino bargain of the season, really hope we stay up to keep him.
    Defense looked good, especilly as we were missing arguably 3 of the first choice back 4.

I am quite happy for the pundits to write us off each week, let us stay under the radar and have every other team underestimating us, will help us more i think.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:00 AM

On a side note, was anyone else impressed with Jesus Gamez yesterday? I thought he was excellent!

• Bobbybee

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:00 AM

Have you sent your ST back already? Flip flop flip flop. 🙂 Bet your on the phone asking for it back already now it’s not all doom n gloom.
    Bit of a six pointer yesterday eh? You do remember what I had to explain to you what a six pointer was right?
    If you’re gonna quote things, get them right you clown. I said it exactly how I meant it. Complaining to the press was a waste of time. He needed to go to Shirebrook and kick the door off and demand to see Ashley because it was causing grief amongst the fans like you. Idiots demanding a boycott every time you don’t get your own way – but then buying a season ticket because you smelled success. What a mug.
    Stop sulking you big girls blouse and start backing Rafa and the team he assembled. THAT’S what he asked for after all. He didn’t ask for clowns like you to start the boycott crap again, he asked for everyone to stick together not pull apart.
    You’d like nothing better than to see us struggle, just so you could crow about ‘I was right, I was right!’
    Either get behind the team, or boycott the club, but either way make your mind up eh? Your constant flip flopping is nauseating.

• Ron Knee

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:02 AM

Ruddy

I was. At last, somebody who can take a throw in!

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:04 AM

Ron Knee

I thought it was just me who was impressed with his throw ins, glad to see I wasn’t alone haha

He was assured and composed on the ball, defended solidly and provided options going forward. He’s not going to pull up any trees but definitely one to consider when we’re in a bind.

• Bobbybee

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:07 AM

Ruddy, was it me who came on giving it large, or was it wobble gob again? If you haven’t noticed I come on here to talk football, but there’s a small clique on here who love to attack me because football is out of their depth. I’m not sitting here taking crap off flip flop there, when there was no need for what he said.
    He can’t even quote me right, because that would ruin his argument. At least you stuck to your guns, unlike that clown. Ashley out!!! Jail for Ashley!!! Oh, but wait, Rafa Benitez has come in, we might do something, so I’ll buy a ST.
    Been on here all morning talking football, but then that idiot comes on AGAIN with his big mouth.
    Don’t be telling me pal, tell flip flop.

• Ron Knee

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:08 AM

More football:

Tonight’s Premier League 2 game against Norwich City will be shown live on NUFC TV – and it will be free for all supporters.

• Jib

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Tenth place , with the five teams immediately above us only one point better off.
    We go into next Saturdays game vs Stoke City in really good shape.
    There are 18 more PL fixtures before the FA cup 3rd round on January 6th
    If Rafa has accrued 40+ points by then , we can give the cup a right good go.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:14 AM

Bobby

To be fair, I didn’t even realise that Jail was referring to you when he mentioned the ‘stfu’ comment, as I had encountered a number of fans who had said similar comments.

Supporting NUFC is such an emotional roller-coaster and I must admit that even I was tempted to consider the fact that MA had changed his approach by hiring Rafa but ultimately for me the trust is gone. For others, the urge to ‘back the team and not the regime’ is too strong.

Personally, I always want to see the team win, I’d love to see MA change tack and properly back the manager. In truth, we’d love to be wrong about Ashley, but after 10 years it’s obvious that we’re not. That doesn’t mean we don’t love the club and want to see us win week in, week out.

But far be it of me to get in between you two having a barney!

• Bobbybee

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:17 AM

Ron, is that another word now for the U18’s or U23’s?
    About time they started using the TV for something really useful.
    I think most fans would even pay a sub to watch U18 and U23 games live.

• optimistic prime

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:17 AM

What a load of sanctimonious waffle

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:20 AM

Optimistic

Pray tell, from whom and for why?

• Ron Knee

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:24 AM

Bobby

From NUFC.COM

Stiffs streamed

Tonight sees Newcastle U23s play their first competitive home game this season, when Norwich City provide the opposition in Premier League 2.

The venue is St. James’ Park, kick-off is 7pm. Season ticket holders and members are admitted free via the East Stand turnstiles or else it’s £3 adults, £1 others.

And if you can’t get along, the club are providing live coverage via the official website free of charge (registration is required).

Peter Beardsley’s side have been on the road for their first four competitive games of the season, beating Stoke City (4-3) and West Bromwich Albion (4-0) and losing 0-1 to Boro in the League.

• Bobbybee

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:36 AM

Ruddy, this was ages ago, but an all retentive people can’t let things go. What I said – and stand by now – was it was no good Rafa complaining to the press about money. All it was doing was getting the likes of jail into a tizzy. I said he should take a day off training and drive down to Ashley’s office, kick the door in and demand he be given what was agreed. The press couldn’t do it, he had to.
    I did explain REPEATEDLY that stfu is just an expression, but no, jail wouldn’t let it go. He still won’t ffs. 🙂 Why is it being brought up now? Because we’re all talking football and poor jaily waily feels left out, so he thought he’s gave a dig at me. Not up front, like a man, but like his other member of the human Centipede, by snidey comments. Some people this, or some posters that.
    This was weeks ago ffs – work it out, you remember when it was.
    Is there any need to come on and stir the shyte like that? None at all. Nothing constructive to say, only destructive.
    He’s like a baby ffs. Always having a dig at someone. Not long ago he was having a go at somebody for a comment they made FIVE YEARS AGO! 🙂
    It’s been football all morning from everybody on the blog, until he comes on with his BS. Same old same old.

It’s OK jail you can speak again, I’m out of here. You need to grow up pal, you truly are beyond pathetic. If football is too complicated for you, go on another blog and bother them. We were having a good conversation about FOOTBALL until you spoiled it yet again.
    You talk constantly about multiple posters, but you and Tuff must be the same people. Neither of you have the balls to address someone properly, you just get in with snidey digs about ‘some posters’. In your messed up little world, that’s usually enough to convince you two separate people must be the same one, if they use the same words.
    I’ll come back when the kiddies are in bed.

• OneAlanShearer

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:40 AM

The real tragedy of this season and the Ashley era is where we could have ended up this season if Ashley had backed rafa.

I like all rafa’s signings this summer. However I think if rafa had the 4 or 5 he wanted we would have had the best team, squad and first xi we have had since Sir Bobby was in charge.

A better keeper to improve distribution and quick turn around on the break. Although I rate Elliot as a shot stopper.

A left back, gamez looked good but his legs started to go towards the end and a younger specialist left back would be better.

Defensive midfield. I like Hayden but he should be an understudy. When we have to use Diame at all it tells you we are short.

Number 10. I like Perez but he’s just not good enough. A proper number 10 would really have glued this all together and is the main missing piece above all others.

Striker – I really like Joselu but imagine having a top striker instead… what rafa could do with a side that had all that is mind boggling.

We will be a steady hard to beat side this season and I love the team spirit this side have. They fight for each other. Never give up.

In hope by some miracle rafa gets all the cash next summer and stays for a very long time. Brilliant manager.

• kc2012

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:41 AM

Bobby

Fully agree with you in comment number 5. I think we,ve bought very well considering the low net spend. All of the lads brought in are playing for the shirt and proving people wrong. Some people were saying Atsu was just a squad player at best, the lad looks a top talent at prem level and Merino is quickly becoming a player people are talking about. Well done Rafa

• Bobbybee

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:41 AM

Cheers Ron. I’ll probably go watch it at SJP as it happens, didn’t realise it was on there. I thought it must be an away game. Later mate.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:45 AM

Jib
    Yeah I got it wrong – don’t you ever get it wrong.

I was surprised and yes I am surprised at the way we are playing this season instead of the sideways backwards hoofball-football. Keeping it on the deck playing crisp fast passing football a joy to watch

And bugga you I will still givde my opinions marks on how I see our home games

• Ron Knee

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:53 AM

Charlie

You weren’t alone in your prediction. 55% thought we’d draw or lose!

• Krul To Be Kind

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:00 AM

Charlie

Did you get to the game yesterday or big screening it like the rest of us… I didn’t see your player ratings this week!

On the 20 games to force Merino sale, can we give him cameos in the under 23’s to get to 20 games quicker… This kid’s star is very rapidly rising… I think Stoke will be the beginning of him getting targeted as our maestro and closed down quicker… I’ve faith that he can go up another few levels over time though!!!

• Krul To Be Kind

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:04 AM

Ron

I had it as an optimistic draw before kick off due to the circumstances around the gaffer but see it as a very welcome 3 points in a ground where we usually get nothing. The composure and organisation throughout the side when we haven’t got the ball is a joy to watch at the moment compared to previous PL seasons.

• toontaff2

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:06 AM

Not the human centipede, again!!!!
    At least I know where my opinion ranks – as a benchwarmer for the local village pub team, who sometimes played as a creative, combative, international right midfielder! 😆

• Ron Knee

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:07 AM

Krul

Great organisation thanks to Rafa, and a bit of luck too. I’m thinking of Mawson’s header in the first half that missed by inches!

• toontaff2

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:08 AM

I was in the 45% of happy clappers, pleased with a 0-1,but forecasting a 1-5! 😮
    Watched with the £6-99 day pass on Now TV, money well spent!!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:10 AM

I really think the fixtures are with us this spring. We might actually end having a decent start to the season which will only benefit us and build-up confidence.

Newcastle United vs. Stoke City
    Arsenal vs. Newcastle United
    WHam vs. Newcastle United
    Newcastle United vs. Citeh
    Newcastle United vs. Brighton and Hove Albion

• toontaff2

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:10 AM

Catchy, thought that Lascalles ground header was part of some semi-drunken haze!!

• Krul To Be Kind

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:10 AM

As I said yesterday I think we’ve got some good options up top with a great degree of variety.

With Mitro we can play the wings to get the ball into the box.
    With Gayle he is adept at running into balls over the top of high lines.
    With Joselu we have a good mix of both of the above but not as good as the others are at their specialities.

That makes Joselu the more rounded player and most likely the regular starter however the other 2 are game changers if needs be.

I’m very impressed by Joselu, was a bit underwhelmed by his stats as I hadn’t seen much of him prior to us buying him but his all round play has been a breath of fresh air and his touch is outstanding, hope he keeps it up after the honeymoon period!!!

• Ron Knee