Newcastle Player Makes Jamie Redknapp’s Team Of The Week

Jamaal Lascelles excellent performance for Newcastle yesterday has been noticed, and he makes Jamie Redknapp’s Premier League’s Team of the Week.

The other player who was outstanding for us yesterday was Spanish U21 International Mikel Merino who put in another strong performance in central midfield, and the lad is keeping Jonjo Shelvey on the bench.

We expect Mikel to be recognized by the national press sooner rather than later.

And it seems we have an obligation to buy him for £6M after he’s made 20 first team appearances for Newcastle – according to GOAL.

The sooner we can do that the better.

Jamaal Lascelles – makes Team of the Week

Congratulations to both our players on two excellent performances yesterday.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Swansea?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:12 PM

*all = I’ll

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:13 PM

Ron…so he just didn’t make the team?

• Ron Knee

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:14 PM

jesper

Apparently. He tweeted yesterday that he wasn’t injured.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:17 PM

If Aarons was anyway good enough Rafa would have him much closer to the team than he is. I’m also sure Rafa would not have sanctioned the signing of Murphy when we have someone like Aarons in the squad – another indicator that Rafa doesn’t think he’s up to it.

Jesper

If Shelvey sorts himself out like Barton did and proves to be a consistent performer I’ll be happy, and naturally when he’s fit and available we should try and make space for him but I wouldn’t drop either of Hayden or Merino to make way for him on current form.

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:17 PM

Ella…chances are Perez will get just as many goals as Joselu and probably more assists.

No doubt Joselu can do a job, the question is can he do the job. I am not convinced as I am not convinced about Murphy.

Murphy is a great prospect if we had more money this window.

As for the #10 conundrum the solution is easy…change formation to something that suits the players we have better…

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:20 PM

Ruddy…on current form Hayden had a nightmare last night and wasn’t great against WHam either I think.

I am not saying Shelvey should play regardless, but I’ll support him through this as long as he tries to improve…

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:20 PM

Jesper

Joselu will get goals this season, the man is an animal in the air. Perez got 9 goals and 6 assists in the Championship and I’d be amazed if he gets anywhere near those figures this season. Simply put, he’s not good enough.

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:21 PM

Perez need to be more consistent no doubt…just thought I’ll mentioned that before some thought I would think otherwise

• Mister Tuff

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:22 PM

Merino -looks a very good player -could be the surprise of the season.
    From whatI’ve seen so far I should think Benitez should be able to mould what he has available into a team which will not be relegated. We’ll be in the bottom half – but so what – staying in the PL is the goal this season.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:22 PM

Jesper

Hayden didn’t have a perfect game but the role he plays is considerably different to that of either Merino or Shelvey. His game is about breaking up play, covering as much ground as possible, squeezing the middle etc. Whereas Merino is tasked with driving the ball forward and Shelvey is more of a pass-master.

I’d consider Shelvey in No 10 role in place of Perez who shouldn’t be a starter.

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:22 PM

Ron…I would really love for Aarons to have some luck this season…most be frustrating at times being him

• HarrogateMag

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:24 PM

interesting how Swansea targeted our leftside of defence where Clark and Jesus did well – thought jesus gave us much more threat as he can set up thropugh balls for the winger which Dummet cannot do and looked entirely comfortable,

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:25 PM

Ruddy…I am all for trying Shelvey in the #10 spot…they can even try Gayle or Joselu…

Personally I think more will realize that it’s not just the player that’s at fault…we need to change formation a bit…

• Nufc-83

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:25 PM

Ruddy so you dont think Richie has the rm spot nailed on? I can’t see him being dropped any time soon and rightly so.

As for Aarons we wont agree I guess until he proves it on the pitch (or not). Every time I have seen Aarons I have been massively impressed and you have to remember most times we have seen him he has been coming back from long term injuries. When he broke in to the team with that display against city he carried that on and was playing very well until he got injured. He come back against spurs and scored. He is back again and looked good in the cup. I dont see how you can say he is not got the ability. The problem is clearly injuries and getting a run of games into him.

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:25 PM

…or be willing to change formation at times

• Nufc-83

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:28 PM

Shelvey definitely could play that No10 role and we do need a change as Perez does not offer enough and its by far the most important position on the pitch in the formation we play.

The problem we have is I think Rafa really rates Perez and looks like he will not change formation so it is here to stay for now.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:30 PM

Nufc 83

Oh I misread your post, I thought you meant that if Richie is moved into No 10 then Aarons has RW nailed on which I was disagreeing with. The lad has talent, but injuries take their toll and I think there are others who are ahead of him in the queue – a view that seems to be shared by Rafa.

Jesper

I’m curious – what change of formation would you like to see? 4-3-3? 3-5-2? 4-4-2?

The current formation that we have is the best one suited to the players at our disposal IMO but I’m all for debate and hearing your opinion.

• Tom Page

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:36 PM

Toontaff2 @36

Don’t laugh too much at Lascelles attempted header. We ‘oldies’ will remember when Newcastle had a centre-forward called Vic Keeble who also used to head any ball at 3 inches above the ground, rather than kick it – and that was the old leather ball, too.

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:39 PM

Ruddy…I don’t 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1 which is how looks to be fair is working with the players we have…

We scream and moan about the #10 spot all the time so something tells me we should setup differently

A 4-3-3 variation to me sounds ideal or even a 4-4-2 diamond variation. The latter will allow Mitro or Joselu to be paired with either Gayle of Perez.

Shelvey would fit better in a diamond midfield than and triangle midfield I think.

But truthfully I would like to see Rafa changing things up…it’s one dimensional and repeating at best.

Just my honest take on it

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:39 PM

*don’t think

• optimistic prime

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:44 PM

I’m no fan of Perez in the 10 spot but I disagree with people who believe shelvey would be good there, he lacks the mobility and is far to lazy.

Between the pair you’d have the perfect 10 but individually neither is right for the role.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:48 PM

4-4-2 diamond wouldn’t work in my view as we don’t have strikers who compliment each other’s skill set in my view; Mitro can’t play with Joselu and Gayle isn’t really good enough to start I don’t think (Perez isn’t a striker either)

Another massive problem with a diamond midfield is that is massively exposes our full-backs, and as good as Hayden is defensively in midfield it’d be a big task for him to essentially shoulder that burden – the same issue is faced with a midfield 3 as well.

Our strength lies in defense, which means our midfield should be set up to protect our back 4 – which having wingers who track back as part of a midfield 4 or 5 is more suitable for us.

While No 10 is a problem going forward, I would keep with the formation in order to maintain the defensive solidity that we appear to have under Rafa.

• Nufc-83

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:51 PM

I would like to see the following:

Elliot
    Yedlin Lascelles/Lejuerne (impossible to decidie) Clarke Gamez

Shelvey Hayden Mernio

Richie Joselu Atsu/Aarons

433 got us 5th in the under the clown that was Pardew????

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:58 PM

Ruddy…regardless of what you and I think or whether any of us are right or wrong I would definitely like to see something different for some consecutive games…preferably 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 diamond (a variation of them of course)

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:59 PM

Jesper

Simply changing tactics for the sake of it doesn’t really make much sense though.

• carl

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:02 PM

Rotonda will leap to criticise the lack of time Frank de Boer got.
    But when a cutting edge, inspirational, passionate leader like Roy Hodgson becomes available, you simply have to act quickly.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:05 PM

Just had another look at the Richie challenge and I have to admit that he really should have been sent off especially considering the Mane challenge. Perhaps a controversial statement but we’ve got away with one there.

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:08 PM

Ruddy…I wouldn’t say it’s for the sake of it since I don’t think the current one works…or works good enough when looking at the players we have at our disposal…

…personally I find it rigid from Rafa that hasn’t made changes already mate

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:15 PM

Jesper

We’ve scored 4 and conceded 0 in our last 2 games and posted back-to-back PL victories for the first time since 2015. Remind me again how our tactics aren’t working?

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:20 PM

Ruddy…taking two results and only looking a the score does not explain whether an approach to the game has been an success…or if it could be better had we setup differently…

…you have to remember Rafa didn’t change anything last season regardless of the outcome or the performance…

WHam was utterly poor and so were Swansea and it’s like we played well. I am just happy about the points…I am talking about the bigger picture here…

Ruddy if we were having this conversation after the Spurs and Huddersfield game I could have used your argumentation just to prove my point but that wouldn’t really be fair either…

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:21 PM

*it isn’t (it should read 🙂 )

• Tsunki

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:25 PM

Ha ha how predictable catchy can’t bear the idea of lascelles as MoM so goes for the safe option of Merino, citing lascelles failed diving header (which was still good defending btw, any legit body part in the way etc) as the deciding factor in his losing out to Merino. What about Merinos failed dive when he was basically through? Come on catchy, show some grace in defeat 🙂

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:26 PM

Jesper

We were well in the game against Spurs until we lost Shelvey to a reckless red card – that rigid system was keeping Spurs at bay. Look at how they blitzed Everton and tell me that we played poorly?

Against Huddersfield we were poor going forward but again we limited them to very few chances and it took a piece of class to win it for them.

We were good for at least a point yesterday, and the fact that we created more chances and tested their keeper more often suggests that we were also good for the 3 points. We played very well against West Ham as well mate so I think you’re being overly negative about our tactics.

The fact that we’ve only conceded twice in our last 2 games (or if you like, the fact that we’ve only conceded 3 goals in 4 games – 2 of which were conceded against Spurs, a top 4 team) suggests that we’ve established a strong defensive unit. A unit and system that I would not advocate changing.

I’m not sure what you’re end game is here.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:26 PM

*your

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:27 PM

So 4 games for de Boer! A transfer window wasted…

Immediate success seems to be a requirement for most owners these days…maybe they should use more time and resources on screening the right candidate…

• hibbit

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:28 PM

folk are just going to have to get used with it that’s the way Rafa want’s his team to play and that’s the way they will play as long as he’s manager

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:28 PM

Sorry it should read “the fact that we’ve conceded no goals in our last 2 games” not twice doh!

• hibbit

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:31 PM

the spurs game had draw written all over it till Shelvey moment of madness

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:33 PM

Ruddy…you need to differentiate between playing poor or even okay and whether it could be a lot better…

For me it’s the bigger picture…hence the talk about the #10 spot just to name drop one deficiency in our approach.

I am not going to try a make something out of the Spurs game…feel free to draw conclusions all you like mate…the point here is whether there’s an argument for change based on the players we have and how we have played under Rafa since he came here, and I think there is!

That’s my argument and I can see you disagree which is perfectly all right 🙂

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:36 PM

hibbit…do have an objection to us discussing the matter regardless of whether Rafa might never change formation?