Sky Sports Pundit In Awe Of Newcastle Captain – World Class Defending

40-year-old Kevin Kilbane, the former Sunderland player is now a pundit for BBC on Match of the Day 2, and he was full of praise for Newcastle captain Jamaal Lascelles after his brilliant performance for us yesterday at Swansea in the 1-0 win.

Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez has great trust in his captain, and he got in touch with Jamaal yesterday morning once he knew he couldn’t make the game yesterday morning.

Rafa told Jamaal to make sure all the players were ready for this game and produced on the field.

The lads did exactly that and carried out the game plan almost to perfection.

Even the Swansea manager Paul Clement said after the game that Newcastle were the better side in all departments of the match yesterday.

Rafa Benitez and Jamaal Lascelles

This is what Kevin said about the Newcastle captain on Match of the Day 2:

“Rafa rang him on the morning of the game to discuss things and make sure the players were right.”

“He was right at it from the get go in this game – immediately close to Tammy Abraham, getting himself into good central positions.”

“He just seemed to pick the flight of every ball and head it away from danger.”

“What I like about the goal-line clearance is that he gets it done and how often do you just see a defender turn and stop – not having the desire to get back on the line.”

“It’s world class defending to get himself back on the line. It’s class, absolutely class.”

“The resulting corner he gets himself into the right position and heads away again. He just had the desire to win everything.”

“And talk about winning everything in the air – the match-winning goal is a superb header. Brilliantly timed run into the area and a great header.”

“A great all-round performance from him today; superb.”

Do you think Kevin Kilbane thinks Jamaal had a good game yesterday?

🙂

• jimmysmith

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:20 PM

I think Ritchie must be a smart guy. He has technical ability for sure, but he’s probably our least “talented” winger. What he does have is an amazing engine, fitness levels, commitment and he makes good decisions and plays to instruction. I think he’s figured out how to get the best out of what he has, and that is not so much extraordinary as just plain admirable. He’s not my favourite player, having been spoilt by so many great wingers at Newcastle, like Ginola, Robert and Solano, but he’s certainly a footballer whose value to the group I’m increasingly recognising, and one who will undoubtedly be a big player for us this season.

• jimmysmith

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:33 PM

Having said that I have to say though I thought the Ritchie incident was a straight red no argument. I would think the law should be as simple as say something like you can’t raise your legs over midriff height in the challenge, and players just need to get their heads around it. You can’t be endangering the head of an opponent deliberate or otherwise with a boot. To be honest even headers between two players are a problem, but of course there’s little you can do about that.

• jane

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:36 PM

lets see what Sam Allardyce says about red cards..

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:38 PM

Ron…I missed the game. How did we do?

• jimmysmith

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:00 PM

I think Shelvey and Merino can operate in tandem. We drop off, cede possession, and hit on the break. Why can’t two players who are capable defensively, can both get a foot in and pass well short and long play together in that system. Shelvey at 10? Not at all his best position, not a goalscorer nor very quick.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:10 PM

Jimmy…it’s a long season and I am sure Shelvey and Merino will be paired together sooner rarher than later…

…Hayden has not had the best of games lately and Rafa will want to keep everyone on their toes…

It’s interesting to see the changes in what we create of goal opportunities since we have dropped Gayle and put in more of a target man.

Think we’ll see it’s wise to have kept Mitro…makes sense why Gayle were being offered around!

• jimmysmith

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:12 PM

Elliot
    Gamez Lascelles Lejeune Clark
    Shelvey Merino
    Richie Perez Murphy
    Joselu

• jimmysmith

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:18 PM

Yeah I like having the target man, and we are well served first season back with Joselu and Mitro to lead the line. Gayle will have to content himself with much more of a squad role I think. I think he had that choice, or to go and be the main man at Fulham, and I think Rafa might have been happy to cash in.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:26 PM

Jimmy…I suspect we didn’t cash in because we wouldn’t get a replacement…

…it was wise to wait I think. He might be off in January unless he somehow makes an impact until then.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:28 PM

If that’s the lineup against Stoke then I could see that, but think Murphy will be dropped along side Hayden

• jimmysmith

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:14 AM

Yeah I think we have quite a few ways of setting up, in terms of player depth. Last year we were so reliant on Shelvey and Gayle, understandably so in the Championship. This year we seem more capable of adopting a more shared responsibility.

• Veltman

Sep 12, 2017 at 4:16 AM

Ritchie is class act and one of my favorite.
    When he gets the ball in the oposition box or wide areas,he usually do something incredible – either assists or attempts on target atleast.Got 3 assists so far if I’m not mistaken.At the same time though, his tackles usually are dangerous.Which is why he’s already on 3 yellows.I do too believe he should have been sent off at Swansea.Not deliberate act but was dangerous high foot play.Almost crushed Mawson’s head in to pieces.Was lucky to be on the pitch.He needs to calm a bit and adjust himself.We can not afford to lose industrious player like him for a minute, let alone one game.

• gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club)

Sep 12, 2017 at 5:31 AM

Sorry to ask out of nowhere but is there a blog fantasy football league to join this year? I mean the one on the premier league website?

Does anyone know the code?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 12, 2017 at 5:53 AM

Morning lads!

So 2-2 last night. Aarons and Sterry only played 46 minutes each. I hope it was just a precaution or because they were ineffective?

Morning Ron…

• Lindisfarne

Sep 12, 2017 at 6:46 AM

I did not see the whole match last night but their equaliser was due to the team losing shape towards the end of the game and an over eager substitute giving away the penalty.