Achraf Lazaar Changes His Tune About Rafa Benitez And Newcastle

We read the interview Achraf Lazaar gave to the Italian media recently where he seemed to slam Rafa Benitez for pleading with him to sign for Newcastle last summer and then when he had signed him Rafa hardly played him all season.

Our thoughts were that Achraf shouldn’t be burning his bridges, but now he has been interviewed in ChronicleLive and he says he did not criticize Newcastle nor Rafa in the interview.

The Moroccan International has said his words were changed and it came out all wrong; maybe in the translation?

Lazaar is out on loan for the season and maybe there is still a future for him at Newcastle.

Rafa will look at him next summer in pre-season to see how he has progressed, but it must be very doubtful right now that he can have a future at Newcastle.

But you never know.

Lazaar wanted to clear things up back in Newcastle and he had quite a lot to say to ChronicleLive today:

“I did an interview with somebody in Italy.” “The report came out badly.” “I said nothing bad, but things got changed in the article.” “It wasn’t good.”

“People who know me should know what I said and think.” “I would never say anything bad against Rafa Benitez or Newcastle United.”

“I love Newcastle.”

“I signed a contract at Newcastle for five years.” “They are a big team, and maybe I will come back.”

“It was difficult for me because for one year I hardly played.” “I did not get a run of games, not even four or five matches in a row and that made me difficult to find a team.”

“Everybody wondered why I didn’t play last year and what had happened or was there a problem.” “What I’d say was I feel I didn’t get a chance.

“I played 37 minutes of football in the whole season in the Championship.” “It was bad for me because people thought I was injured.” “I didn’t understand it.”

“I just want to play football and I feel I have a lot to offer.” “I am more humble because of the experience.” “I work hard every day at training, and in the gym at my home.”

“I want to get back to the perfect level and end 2017 on a high.”

“They wanted me here so much.” “They have made me feel very important here and in Italy and in Serie A everybody knows what quality I have.”

“I played here with Palermo and I now feel like I am considered an important first team player.”

“It’s good for me because I want to get back to the level of form I was in before.” “A lot of big teams wanted me before I went to Newcastle, but I chose there.”

“Then you have a year when you don’t play and you have to find a team.”

For whatever reason, it didn’t work out for Achraf last season at Newcastle and what he has to do now is to play very well at Benevento in Serie A to get his career back on track.

We hope he can do that and he certainly seems a good enough player to do exactly that and maybe get more offers next summer.

• Lindisfarne

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:12 PM

Lets hope for an early goal for us on Saturday, or it will be another grinding match with high tension form the crowd.

• Tsunki

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:14 PM

Er well that’s er cleared er that up. Er.

• Tsunki

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:15 PM

Lindy I’m not sure about that mate I think we might be seeing a lot more of holding for a while then pouncing. 🙂

• Lindisfarne

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:23 PM

416 minutes played in total for NUFC in 2016-17. Initially purchased as a left wing back Lazaar did not feature in the league and was kept out of the squad by Gouffran, an aging striker who presumably was able to follow instructions and utilise his experience. No left footed player really grasped the opportunity to play wide left until Atsu became more prominent towards the end of the season,

• Lindisfarne

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:27 PM

Tsunki

Toon! Toon!

• Tsunki

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:28 PM

There is the possibility, however infeasible it may sound, that he was crap

• JDdubai

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:30 PM

Bit of a strange one with Lazaar – an attacking LB from Serie A sounded like exactly what we needed – a Yedlin on the left. Weird that he didnt get a chance, especially considering how many relatively safe home games we had in the championship last year and also having gouffran in front of him protecting. Guess he must have been horrific in training..

Think Atsu for Murphy will be the only change at the weekend, possibly Yedlin for Manquillo but cant see Rafa making too many changes from a winning team.

• Belfast

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:32 PM

Yeah that old Chestnut, lost in translation gov. Aye!

• Belfast

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:37 PM

I think for once you may be right Tsunki.

• Belfast

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:43 PM

Knock knock…. Anybody in?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:47 PM

Based on the performance from the last game Murphy might lose his place…and maybe even Hayden (he was a bit poor against WHam as well)

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:48 PM

Who’s there

• magspuggy

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:49 PM

With the next sky tv deal set to send tv money clubs get go through the roof the 450 million price tag on nufc does not seem as far fetched as it used too. It also bodes well for rafa if the every pennie the club has line stays in place. We have to stay in the prem this season i would really worry about the future of the club if we went down. An investment in jan would be money well spent even if we dont look like we are struggling the risk is too great to not. Exciting times ahead at nufc hwtl

• magspuggy

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:15 PM

Re. The i follow thing sky are pushing through atm. How much do you think is a fair amount to pay to watch every nufc game ?
    If you watch the toon on kodi etc would you be willing to pay sky say a fiver per game or around 10-15 per month to watch the games or would you stick with the streams ?
    Not knocking folk for the streams here i watch away games on kodi myself if they aint on sky or bt. Just wanting to find out what folk think.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:16 PM

If he was as desperate to sell as he would have us believe he would sell it for what it has cost him so far. I recently sold my car, I chanced my arm and tried to sell it for the top end price, after two weeks in the autotrader I dropped my price, after another two weeks when I really needed to sell it I put it in again for a more realistic price and it sold right away, he has got no intentions of selling up so therefore has us for sale way above our market value.

• magspuggy

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:24 PM

Jail .did your cost hundreds of millions of pounds ? Or did you drop it by a couple of hundred theres a canny big diff between a yugo and wor footie club.

• RUNAWAY777

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:27 PM

Hope the lads give us a win at home before i fly off for 4 or 5 weeks on the 25th.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:27 PM

Does any car cost hundreds of millions of pounds?? The point is, if he was that desperate to sell he would just get rid of us for what it cost him and have done with it, is that so difficult to understand???

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:28 PM

RUNAWAY777,
    So do I bro 😀

• magspuggy

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:32 PM

I dont think he is desprate to sell at all and there is a massive diff in losing a couple of hundred than appox 150 million . My point is with the new tv rights deal the efl has just struck the prem deal will be better again so his price may be met by someone now.

• AncientC

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:36 PM

The Irony is that Ashley would get a lot more for the club if there was advertising revenue coming in. I would have thought if Ashley was serious about selling, he would maximise all the revenue streams to make the club more saleable.

• RUNAWAY777

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:36 PM

Jail we will be ok this season bro mark my words i guess we will have about 20 points by xmas maybe be sticking my neck out bro ?

• magspuggy

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:38 PM

Ancient. The ads would stop or be payed for if a new owner came in so would show on the books a possible income i would have thought.

• AncientC

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:48 PM

magspuggy, I suppose there could be a benefit to a new owner being able to cut their own advertising deal instead of being stuck with an advertiser for a certain amount of years. Wishing thinking, but new owner could come in and overpay for advertising, attempting to get around FFP.

• magspuggy

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:59 PM

I think the chance of someone else buying us has went up but doubt the couple of million ash takes for the adverts will matter much. The new sponsers putting our name about in china and india could bump shirt sales etc up a bit and the new tv money makes the club look value for money

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:13 PM

Man shitty running riot in Feyenoord

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:20 PM

He wouldn’t be losing if he got his money back though would he? He just wouldn’t be adding an extra 150M to his 4B already plastered all over his walls. And as nobody is going to pay 400M we’re stuck with him.

• Ron Knee

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:28 PM

Things turning nasty, Shire!

• magspuggy

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:29 PM

Jail. Hes a business man who likes a quick gamble so if he did not make at least a 50% profit over ten years i think he would class it as a loss. I dunno about being stuck with him thats my point if the new tv deal is worth an extra 50-100 mill per club his value on the club dont look as bad as it does atm.

• Jail loves Ashley

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:32 PM

Jail, moan moan moan.

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:33 PM

Ron
    That scissor challenge could have easily been a red.

• Spotlight Kid

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:33 PM

Jail @18

Problem is Ashley overpaid for the car in the first place, as he knew very little about cars and was too stingy to get an AA report. Although he paid top market price of £1500 from ‘Shepherd & Hall Used Cars’ he didn’t bother checking it had a current tax and MOT, so he then had to pay an extra thousand quid to get the faults sorted out (as the brakes, brake pipes and shocks were shot, and it needed extensive welding).

Ashley, having been stung, then decided to sell and tried to simply add this £1000 repair bill to the money he had paid out for the car, and asked £2500 in Autotrader – but it doesn’t work that way, and the car was still worth £1500, at best. He even tried to convince one interested party to buy for £1500, but also commit to an extra £1000 finance that somehow came bundled with the car. Unsurprisingly that didn’t work either.

Thus Ashley, rather than just admit he was stiffed by ‘Shepherd and Hall’, take it as a lesson in life and move on, decided to hang onto the car until it became a sought after classic and the value goes up again, and do just about enough to keep it roadworthy meantime. Ashley has yet to sell, but has had a couple of minor accidents in 2009 and 2016, which haven’t at all helped the value…

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:35 PM

So not profiting on something you supposedly want to sell is a loss? But only if you’re a businessman. So because I’m not a businessman I just didn’t make as much on my car rather than lose money.

• Ron Knee

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:38 PM

Shire

Reminiscent of another one against Lejeune!

• magspuggy

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:39 PM

Kind of jail yeah . Because cars mostly all go down in value as they age because after x amount of years the are nowt but scrap. A football club has a value that if ran correctly should grow.

• magspuggy

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:41 PM

If your yugo was fast enough to quailify for the monaco gp it might be worth more but at the end of the day it has a shelf life 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:44 PM

At the end of the day he isn’t selling unless someone comes in with a ridiculous offer so we are stuck with him. All we can hope for is that Rafa stays as well.

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:46 PM

Ron
    Not a bad word can be said about the England darling Harry Kane.

Just shows a great level of inconsistency amongst referees!

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:48 PM

Nothing can beat the Lada Riva estate. Ooooffff that’s pound for pound right there!!

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:50 PM

Peps dressed like he’s gan oot for a few after the match!