Achraf Lazaar Changes His Tune About Rafa Benitez And Newcastle

We read the interview Achraf Lazaar gave to the Italian media recently where he seemed to slam Rafa Benitez for pleading with him to sign for Newcastle last summer and then when he had signed him Rafa hardly played him all season.

Our thoughts were that Achraf shouldn’t be burning his bridges, but now he has been interviewed in ChronicleLive and he says he did not criticize Newcastle nor Rafa in the interview.

The Moroccan International has said his words were changed and it came out all wrong; maybe in the translation?

Lazaar is out on loan for the season and maybe there is still a future for him at Newcastle.

Rafa will look at him next summer in pre-season to see how he has progressed, but it must be very doubtful right now that he can have a future at Newcastle.

But you never know.

Lazaar wanted to clear things up back in Newcastle and he had quite a lot to say to ChronicleLive today:

“I did an interview with somebody in Italy.” “The report came out badly.” “I said nothing bad, but things got changed in the article.” “It wasn’t good.”

“People who know me should know what I said and think.” “I would never say anything bad against Rafa Benitez or Newcastle United.”

“I love Newcastle.”

“I signed a contract at Newcastle for five years.” “They are a big team, and maybe I will come back.”

“It was difficult for me because for one year I hardly played.” “I did not get a run of games, not even four or five matches in a row and that made me difficult to find a team.”

“Everybody wondered why I didn’t play last year and what had happened or was there a problem.” “What I’d say was I feel I didn’t get a chance.

“I played 37 minutes of football in the whole season in the Championship.” “It was bad for me because people thought I was injured.” “I didn’t understand it.”

“I just want to play football and I feel I have a lot to offer.” “I am more humble because of the experience.” “I work hard every day at training, and in the gym at my home.”

“I want to get back to the perfect level and end 2017 on a high.”

“They wanted me here so much.” “They have made me feel very important here and in Italy and in Serie A everybody knows what quality I have.”

“I played here with Palermo and I now feel like I am considered an important first team player.”

“It’s good for me because I want to get back to the level of form I was in before.” “A lot of big teams wanted me before I went to Newcastle, but I chose there.”

“Then you have a year when you don’t play and you have to find a team.”

For whatever reason, it didn’t work out for Achraf last season at Newcastle and what he has to do now is to play very well at Benevento in Serie A to get his career back on track.

We hope he can do that and he certainly seems a good enough player to do exactly that and maybe get more offers next summer.

• magspuggy

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:52 PM

But with the extra money coming into football his price tag is not as daft as it once was thats my point. He has a product that can grow in value in spite of him and may get his price soon where your car will only go down in value.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:24 PM

I used a car as an example of just selling, I could have said house but I never just sold my house, of course cars lose money. The whole point of the conversation was that he wants to sell, my point is that if he really wanted to sell then he would lower the price, he has 4B pounds, how much more does he want. I don’t believe he does want to sell though just as I don’t believe he wanted to sell in 2009. We are a very nice cash cow and advertising hoarding and the money is only going up.

• Spotlight Kid

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:29 PM

Shirebook @39. Lada? Clearly you haven’t sampled the delights of a Wartburg Estate.

• magspuggy

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:45 PM

Jail. I agree the car was a silly thing to use and as i have been saying all night with the extra money coming into the game his buy out clause does not look as daft as it used to. So in spite of him being a nacker for ten years there could be a chance someone comes in and buys the club at a price hes happy with that allows him to save face and still make a profit. We can but hope but even if he does not sell there will be more money available for us to buy players with or to reduce the debt to a point where someone does buy him out. He wont take a loss on us but will be happyish to achieve nowt but staying in the prem.

• magspuggy

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:52 PM

Using your house would still be wrong
    My house cost 20 grand in the 90s but is worth 150 today but unless i moved in next door to jib in benwell i could not buy another house for 20g ashley does not need another footie club but you do need a house 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:52 PM

It wasn’t silly at all, it was an example showing that if you really want to sell something, asking an inflated price isn’t the way to quickly get it sold, however asking me if I sold my car for hundreds of millions was just plain stupid, then keep saying that I sold a Yugo is just downright childish, but whatever floats your boat.

• magspuggy

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:04 PM

Using somthing that depreciates in value against something that grows in value to try and prove your point is silly . 2nd hand cars and football clubs r not the same and should not be used in this instance. You try to twist it anyway you like i couldnt care less. Goodnight.

• toon kk

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:05 PM

Jail
    Are you a second hand cars salesman?

• jimmysmith

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:20 PM

Ashley isn’t completely nuts though. He is prepared to put money in, but clearly he hasn’t brought in sufficient quality and knowhow throughout the club to get the results he’s after. Rafa is different class, if he delivers, Ashley will surely back him to stay and grow the club, but it can’t simply be on Rafa’s terms, that’s wishful thinking, and just as much of a slippery slope as Ashleys purely profit before spending approach has been.

From the perspective of FFP and sustainability, both excellent in principle, Ashley is a good owner. If Rafa can use this telly money to turn our fortunes around on the pitch, then we will have something. He must think it’s possible, or he surely wouldn’t still be here.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:25 PM

Whoops, think I’ve come on the autotrader website by mistake.

• magspuggy

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:31 PM

Again your trying to twist things around to fit your agenda ashley does not have 4billion pounds he has shares in a company worth only what some is willing to pay for them.

I will try and make this as easy as possible for you to understand without insulting you.
    If ashley tried to raise 4billion by selling his shares unless he sold them all to one bloke (who would want a discount) he would panic the market and the price would fall quickly so he would only get a % of the 4 billion and risk killing tat direct.
    Hes not skint but is also not cash rich.
    He bought nufc with his own profit from when he turned tat direct into a plc and put it on the stock market. He has more of his own money to lose via us than sd in the short term imho and thats why he loaned us the 30 million in the championship. Mash holdings loaned the club 30 mill but payed ashley half of that back as a repayment of the debt to him. The repayment went into his current account or under his bed etc .
    Thats what he means by wallpaper its a made up value that he does not have where the 13 million he took from the club he does have. Hope that makes sence to you .

• Belfast

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:38 PM

Jail is Terry Tibbs from fonejacker.

Case solved.

• jimmysmith

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:42 PM

Newcastle have an obligation though to contribute to the entertainment value of the EPL, to maintain it’s global popularity built off the back of it’s excitement. We haven’t been that much fun to watch under Ashley, and that really should change or we won’t be doing our bit. It’s not enough to just be a part of it, and take the big cheques, that’s a free ride. You need to contribute.

• Belfast

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:42 PM

Fank you an goodnight!

• magspuggy

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:42 PM

How he can put the sale of his second hand car in the same paragraph as the sale of wor club then call me childish beggers belief how many nufcs drove past you on the way home from work today ??
    Ffs

• RUNAWAY777

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:43 PM

Off to bed getting to daft now wheres the sheep shagger tonight be hidding after Saturdays result.

• magspuggy

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:45 PM

Jimmy my whole point was with the extra sky money due to hit with the ifollow packs on sky/bt we may well get a new owner after all 🙂 if clubs can earn 200 million + per season his 400 million price tag does not look as daft as it used to.

• cyprus

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:46 PM

I’d be just as mad in his place. Given no chance. Look at this Jesus guy, he did so well at Swansea, yet never before given a chance. Doumbia. Even Riviere, crucified by many who’d seen him play 5 minutes.

And then you see people like Obertan who were given 100 chances.

I’m with them. Mitrovic too 😉

• magspuggy

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:49 PM

Swans got caught in possession more times than amy winehouse nd pete docerty 🙂

• jimmysmith

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:52 PM

The greatly increased TV money does change everything, and makes the Ashley model more viable. Ashley may sell because he may view this as the height of the market, and yeah 400 million is I think becoming gettable for him. I think though Newcastle is good for SD so he will only sell for a premium price.

• jimmysmith

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:56 PM

Lazaar wasn’t given a chance, but we had no margin for error in a hugely critical season. Dummett and Gouffran were probably less talented, but it was the percentage play to pick them ahead of him due to their experience and dependability.

• magspuggy

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:56 PM

Jimmy. He wont take a loss but i believe the price needs to come down or the market go up and i would not be surprised to see both happen very soon. With any luck the new deal will be mental and someone will see the value in us and take the bait.

• welshgeordie9

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:07 PM

RUNAWAY777
    Sep 13, 2017 at 10:43 PM

Off to bed is it, well you have got school in the morning.

Ha ha ha

• welshgeordie9

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:09 PM

And why would I hide, after one win, I mean it’s been a long time since the last one.

• jimmysmith

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:09 PM

It would be great to have an owner who would view the club as more than just a business and a bottom line. But I do think with Rafa and this telly money we now finally have a realistic chance of getting somewhere under Ashley. I’m not as eager to see a sale as in the past, but to the right buyer I’d of course still welcome it.

• Tsunki

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:11 PM

What about a classic car like a Triumph TR5? Or an autogyro. No, no…wait… A Vulcan bomber no just bear with me on this one….

• welshgeordie9

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:12 PM

Love the fact people have been taking the piss out of Sanchez,

Murphy 12 million
    Sanchez on loan

Hmmmm

• magspuggy

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:16 PM

Welsh. He was a bit shit tbh but its early days 4 him and he should settle in 🙂

• magspuggy

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:16 PM

What sort of bloke kicks jesus in the nuts 🙂

• hellodjo

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:56 AM

£12 million for Murphy on a permanent deal or Renato Sanchez for a £5 million loan fee, hmm, hmm… I think Sanchez is going to fail spectacularly.

• The American

Sep 14, 2017 at 3:04 AM

I like our team defense but, I wonder how we’ll handle someone of Shaqiri’s caliber. He was absolutely amazing on the ball and capable of making his own space against Man U on Sunday. I wonder if Hayden is capable of shutting him down, because Merino is not ready for that kind of defensive assignment yet. If we boss the midfield then we win 2-1 I think. If Allen and Shaqiri do their thing then we could suffer a heavy defeat.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 14, 2017 at 5:26 AM

Morning lads!

Well welsh we have won the last two games so I am not sure you can say it’s been a while since our last win!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 14, 2017 at 6:01 AM

Morning Ron…

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 14, 2017 at 6:04 AM

Renato Sanchez is one of these players you never know whether he’ll be a good fit for a PL team…

…one thing we do know is that he won’t be at Swansea next season

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 14, 2017 at 6:29 AM

Murphy was a wrong buy this season I think with the finances we had…

…but leta hope he comes good because done is done

• hibbit

Sep 14, 2017 at 7:07 AM

i think when Rafa spent the money on Murphy he thought the transfer pot was a lot bigger

• toontaff2

Sep 14, 2017 at 7:18 AM

Maybe Murphy can be added to the Colback, Dummett, Perez scapegoat list?

• Ron Knee

Sep 14, 2017 at 7:24 AM

Morning, jesper

• martoon

Sep 14, 2017 at 7:33 AM

hibbit @76 – You’re right. We seemed to start the window spending on Murphy & Lejeune and then for whatever reason the ‘spending rug’ was pulled from under Rafa. I’m not sure if this was an edict from Ashley directly or Barnes interfering but something happened – which is I think what upset Rafa so much!

• optimistic prime

Sep 14, 2017 at 7:35 AM

If you think Ashley will settle for 400 million after the tv money goes up again is plain crazy, he’ll add another 100 million to the price.

If the income of the club goes up so does the value, whether you agree with the valuation or not.

Its childish to think otherwise!