Report – Rafa Benitez Feels A Real Passion For Newcastle United And Will Not Leave

In an exclusive with the Star today former Newcastle player Jermaine Jenas thinks Rafa Benitez feels a real passion for Newcastle United and will not be leaving the club.

Rafa has been disappointed at Newcastle this summer, and fees the agreements made with owner Mike Ashley in early May have not been kept.

He is annoyed at that, but we expect him to do the best he can with the squad he has until January.

And we now have two good wins with two clean sheets in our last two league games and because of that things are looking up at Newcastle.

Jermaine Jenas – now a BT Sports pundit

Jermaine Jenas is now a pundit for BT Sports, and he had this to say in an exclusive with the Star:

“I just think if you’re going to walk, why didn’t you just walk last year when you were in the Championship?”

“It doesn’t make sense, this is Benitez, he will have had places to go.” “He doesn’t seem happy but I don’t have him down as a walker.”

“I think he really does feel a passion for the club but I think he feels let down.”

“There’s one situation that’s worrying me a little and that’s Slaven Bilic,”

“I think we all know football too well now and how the system works so it wouldn’t surprise me if there are conversations been put in place.”

“The fact they’ve gone from the players that they had then to what they’ve got now, I just look at the club and think, how does that actually happen?”

“I can’t get my head round how it happens.”

“But then I think about the position I was in and the reasons why I left. And those were the reasons.

“I thought, ‘I’m not going to develop as a player here, I’m not going to get any better, I’m not going to win anything.”

“I’m not gonna play for England if I stay here’.”

“Unfortunately that’s something that hopefully the club get rid of soon because it’s an incredible club when the place is bouncing.”

We have a feeling Jermaine may be spot on about Rafa and of course we are hoping Rafa stays at Newcastle for a long time.

Sir Bobby Robson signed Jermaine Jenas back in 2001 from Nottingham Forest when the youngster was just 18, and he stayed at Newcastle for four years playing 152 games with 12 goals before he signed on at Spurs.

He made his England debut against Australia in February 2003 while still at Newcastle and was a regular for the England side when he moved to Spurs in August 2015.

• sing in the corner

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:15 AM

I think Jenas actually thought ‘I came up here as a stepping stone to a bigger club, now is the time to cut and run and I will get a luvvly pay rise..’

• toontaff2

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:26 AM

From previous, too right there Sing!
    No point being jealous of the wages – just wish I was even worth a free pint, now and again, warming the bench for the village/pub side, demonstrating my prowess now and again, with cameo MoM performances!
    Unfortunately, the sports I was good at were not so high profile, so I also had to work for a living. Some prize £ and some sponsorship, but I wish I’d been good enough to earn a living from sport!
    Honestly, cannot think of anything better than being paid to participate in sport.

• Mindshaft

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:34 AM

I think a lot of players think of toon as a stepping stone but rarely get to a ‘big club’ and when they do rarely get a game

• pablos left foot

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:41 AM

I’m sure Rafa will stay, but for god”s sake when are folks going to lay off this subject and stop bleating on about the bloody poor transfer window!!
    The team”s playing well and things are looking promising. Start labouring those points, it’ll make better reading!!
    I thank you. ?

• pablos left foot

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:45 AM

Jenas left Newcastle because he felt it was like “being in a goldfish bowl” so he”s opted for the anonymity of being a pundit on national TV.

• toontaff2

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:48 AM

Pablo, we need a ‘Rafa’s Walking’ tale, each Sunday, or the papers would be empty! I agree, no point even bothering about transfer windows, until the next one!

• pablos left foot

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:46 AM

My most endearing (enduring) memory of Jenas’ time at Newcastle was in some Asian cup we were in, in 2003, against Chelsea. It went to penalties and Jenas had to take one.Instead of slamming the ball into the corner he tried to do what the big boys were doing on the continent and chip it over the goalkeeper.Of course having neither the talent or experience he skyed it. The look on his face as he turned away was a picture. He was obviously thinking “I want my mammy”.
    I believe SBR took him apart for it.
    What a divvy.

• Geordie-john

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:58 AM

Since when was Jenas an expert on NUFC ? He couldn’t wait to leave the ” Goldfish Bowl ” at NUFC . I will never forget his statement ! Tosser. Excuse my language.

• switch365

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:51 AM

Why didn’t he walk when we were in the Championship?
    Simple answer – Rafa fell in love and so did we, love is a strange thing Jenas. You should know considering how much you love yourself!

• ashleysmate

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:24 AM

Jenas left NUFC because ” He didnt want to live life in a goldfish bowl”….
    So he moved to spurs and london!?
    Lying git.