Newcastle’s New Signings Are Better Than Expected – So Far

The main reason things have become upbeat at Newcastle over the last few weeks is mainly because of our two wins in succession.

And in those games against the Hammers and the Swans, some of our new players have shown they can play a bit.

Mikel Merino has been the star of the side with two excellent performances in the middle of the park – he looks like a star in the making at Newcastle.

And from what we’ ve seen of Florian Lejeune, he could turn out to be the best central defender at the club this season once he fully settles in.

Both players were ones Rafa wanted into the club as early as possible in the summer.

And Javier Manquillo has looked a completely different player than the one who was on loan at Sunderland last season.

Javier has lots of room for improvement in his game, but he has looked a better player already under the tutelage of fellow Spaniard Rafa Benitez.

Joselu up front is a good technical player who can hold the ball up well, and he has worked hard for the Newcastle side, and we look a smoother side with Joselu up front.

A delighted Joselu after scoring against West Ham

Young Jacob Murphy is one for the future, who Rafa will bring along this season, but he certainly has the skill and the right attitude to be a success at the club he supported as a boy.

Our new striker Joselu put in two good performances for Newcastle in the last two games.

The 27-year-old seems very happy at Newcastle, and he had this to say in the Chronicle today:

“I am a striker and I am always happy when I score.” “Emotion is inside every striker.”

“All strikers will say the same thing.” “It won’t be strange because I am very focused on Newcastle.”

“My mind is only here.” “I try to do my best every week in games and training.”

“It may be strange because it’s my team from the last two years and I know players and staff.”

“But it’s over.” “Now I think only of Newcastle.” “We need to win this game for our fans.”

“I am very happy, it is fast moving here in Newcastle but I enjoy a lot – everything.”

“The club, training, good with the team mates, with the staff, the city; I enjoy a lot and I am very happy to be here.”

“I felt a lot of things in my mind and thinking about everything.” “I say always I am happy to be here and now everything is perfect.”

“The supporters tell me on social media only good things about my game; I feel the supporters are like a family.”

Rafa will ensure the team is ready for Stoke on Saturday and is not over confident.

It will be a tough game against a side who played very well last weekend against Manchester United in their 2-2 home draw.

It will not be an easy game by any means.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Stoke City?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Jib

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:07 AM

The starting eleven looked tight vs Swansea
    Elliot
    Gamez
    Clark
    Lascelles
    Manquillo
    Ritchie
    Merino
    Hayden
    Murphy
    Joselu
    Perez

Any one of them can consider themselves unlucky to be dropped

• Spoof

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:17 AM

Rafa has some tough calls to make, Yedlin for me is certainly better than Manquillo and Lejuene from what we have seen does look a class act but how can you drop a defender when the defence have kept two clean sheets and as a unit the defence has looked solid enough, it could be argued that Clark could fill in at left back but in fairness to Gamez that would be totally wrong as I doubt that a CB filling in for a FB could do a job as well as Gamez did, he really did look the part, as I say tough call’s to be made, personally my view is if it wing broke don’t fix it, I would just leave it unchanged.

• Spoof

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:19 AM

wing = ain’t, bloody predictive text.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:24 AM

Did you miss us already Jeff?

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:27 AM

spoof,
    This is where a world class manager comes in to play, I was thinking exactly the same myself, how do you drop your captain who had a blinder the week before or Clarke who hasn’t put a foot wrong. Had McCardew been in the helm and Collo was in place of Lejuene we would have seen him straight back in the team with the others defenders shoehorned in somewhere, right wing possibly.
    Jib,
    The point was, be it a car, house or football club, if you really wanted rid of something ie a football club and £260M would cover everything you’ve put in then surely that would be the price you were happy to take. That’s if of course you really wanted to sell in the first place.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:33 AM

To talk about cars depreciating and houses and houses gaining was looking far too much in to it and just being pedantic, and this coming from a guy who spells paid, payed and sense sence. I find it strange that he doesn’t want to insult my intelligense.

• DubaiMicky

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:38 AM

And all the doubters of Rafa’s ability to sign quality at a good price have gone weirdly quiet.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:43 AM

My only change for Saturday would be Atsu for Murphy who at the moment is struggling.
    New signings are FOOTBALLERS – LeJuene, Manquilla (maybe not defending), Joselu and Merino – all comfortable on the ball – can pick a pass – defo an upgrade to what we had last year

• Spoof

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:45 AM

Jail

Rafa may do exactly the same though, as yet we don’t know, I hope he doesn’t and personally I don’t think he will, if he does make a change to the defence then it will more than likely be Manquillo who loses out, now I’m not jumping on the Manquillo is crap bandwagon because I think he has done quite well, but with Stoke’s defence being so slow Yedlin’s pace could be very useful, so tactically I could understand Rafa making that change, but any who lose can count themselves unlucky.

• barkel

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:46 AM

I think I’d have Yedders in at RB if he’s fully fit and Atsu on the left. I think Stoke could struggle with their pace, Manquillo might feel hard done by but horses for courses and all that.

• barkel

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:47 AM

Spoof you’re a genius!

• DubaiMicky

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:49 AM

One thing that was telling in the last week is that is was Ashley who sorted out the bonus plan for the players and NOT Rafa.

Says a lot that Rafa/Penfold/That Lawyer Bloke weren’t involved.

• Spoof

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:50 AM

barkel

Why the sarcasm, all I’ve done is express an honest view ?

• optimistic prime

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:50 AM

Any player under £20mil is rubbish and can barley kick a ball

• Spoof

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:52 AM

barkel

Sorry mate, I’ve just read your post under mine which is nearly identical, I thought you were being sarcastic, you weren’t, my error, sorry !

• hibbit

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:53 AM

Spoof is Yedlin fit ??

Chronicle were saying on Mon/Tue he was still a few days away

• DubaiMicky

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:53 AM

Yep optimistic, it’s not a pleasant experience with corn v barley in the crop circles football cup games.

• barkel

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:57 AM

Haha Spoof – it’s just this blog is so snipey, I can see why you thought it might be sarcastic. Definitely not meant to be though

• Spoof

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:58 AM

hibbitt

Yedlin was on the bench against Swansea so I expect that he is fit unless he has since picked up a knock but I haven’t heard that he has so he should be OK.

• carl

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:00 AM

Can I play my get out of Jail card?

Oh for Lilongwe, Sing, maggs, jack Root, martoon, Bobby b, Belfast, Ian Toon, Lindi, Jib, Charlie reporting, et al. According to Ed 64% of those accessing the blog never post.
    Let’s be having you- any of you rather than a dork who doesn’t comprehend, have a knowledge of economics, finance, business studies and the Value of money subject to inflation. Was he under the influence of drink/ drugs or in need of a dose of common sense provided by BandB.
    The blog postings last night reached an all time low.

• toontaff2

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:03 AM

JIB : ‘The daftest post this week is a tie !’

One of the candidates has to win, just on sheer volume alone! I’ll give you a clue – formations, formations, formations…………….rotating captains………..formations, formations, formations.
    😛

• one fine day

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Yedders in for maquilo for me
    Give Stoke something to think about .
    Hughes will come for a draw and park the bus hoping to hit us on the break
    Actually dreamt hoooooosaloo bullets one in like he did in the open day training sesh .
    A decent 2.0 and only 31 more points until Rafa is given the keys to the city( and ALL the prem cash or there shall be riots) and rightly so.
    The thought of senor Benitez allowing his el toros to roam the toon moor is quite something

• magspuggy

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Jail. I was trying not to insult you because i dont come on this blog to fight with people and twist what they say.
    My point was with the extra money coming into football his price tag is not as far fetched as it used to be. You for what ever reason then started banging on about the sale of something worth hundreds of pounds and compairing it to something worth millions. There is an endless amount of second hand cars available however there is only 1 NEWCASTLE UNITED. please dont respond to my posts i really cba with people like you and the blog could do without our bickering .

• Spoof

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:12 AM

carl

An all time low, it must have been bad then, glad I wasn’t on then, I won’t go back to see what I missed.

• optimistic prime

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:13 AM

Carl

Only six hearts, have your other alias not woke up yet?

• one fine day

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:14 AM

Oh yeah and 20 mil if we win the cup ?
    We know that shortly after that he chucked up his dinner in the locals fireplace rendering it null and void .!
    So don’t be booking buiseness class for your jolly so just yet jamalle 🙂

• carl

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:14 AM

Maggs
    Know quarrel with you at all I enjoy reading your input. Apologies if I’ve offended you.
    HWTL.

• carl

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:15 AM

Spoof
    Don’t. I will return to selective reading.

• one fine day

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:16 AM

business

• catchy in norway

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:16 AM

not impressed with manquillio so far,
    the others, yes

• one fine day

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:20 AM

Carl@19
    Are we back to the approved list of preferred bloggers ?
    Hang on wasn’t that Ian toons list/ thing ?
    Oh yeah now I get it

• Spoof

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:22 AM

one fine day

I had to laugh at that £20m for winning the FA cup nonsense, as he all know Mikey doesn’t like cups because they don’t pay out big prizes, all they do is get you into the Europa league and he doesn’t like that either.

So offering £20 for something he doesn’t want did make me laugh, can you imagine if we got to the semi’s, he would probably sack Rafa and play the youth team just to make sure we get knocked out lol

• hibbit

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:22 AM

Spoof thanks
    i seen he was on the bench
    just not sure were the Chronicle get there stories from these days

• one fine day

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:25 AM

Spoof
    My thoughts exactly
    Or he would have a dodgy each way on the game too offset us winning ( via his Sydo fun88 account of course )

• one fine day

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:29 AM

Hibbit@32
    Bishop ?
    Well that if they want to be allowed into home games ….:) goebels springs to mind

• Krul To Be Kind

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:36 AM

I really can’t see us putting De Yedlin or Lejuene straight into the starting line up. I believe these lads will have a cameo from the bench to confirm they are for and to help get them up to speed before they are in with a real shout of starting unless something unexpected happens to one of our back 4 in the interim before the game. If I picked up anything from Rafa’s selections last season it’s that he pretty much leaves the backline alone when playing well, the attempted second guessing of his selections last season in the Rafa bingo seemed to have the curve ball selections and changes in either midfield or up top. So I would fully expect both to get minutes from the bench before being in contention to start again… Just my opinion mind!

• Krul To Be Kind

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:38 AM

For = fit in the 4th line… Back to proof reading again before posting… My digits are getting fatter with age!

• one fine day

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:41 AM

Krul
    Be interesting to if shelvey walks back in though and if so at who’s expense …have a feeling he will be on the bench for first half

• carl

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:43 AM

One fine day
    Your snide comment aside. We all have our preferred bloggers. It’s just that some of us don’t admit it!
    I was on here more than 10 years ago at the inception and most bloggers used to talk of the toon before anything else.
    The likes of bills- son and many others don’t now post regularly.
    So yes for many there is a so called approved list. Just like there was football before the Premiership and Sky.

• Spoof

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:45 AM

OFD

If Shelvey does come back in then for me it could only be for Perez, however that would be 3 deep lying midfielder so Rafa would have to change his tactics and I doubt that he will do that, unless he plays Shelvey as a Humbert 10