Our Man Of The Match – Probably Newcastle’s Best Player

Not for the first time this season our Man of the Match is Matt Ritchie.

Matt was a bargain buy from Bournemouth last year and in the 2-1 win yesterday against Stoke City at At. James’ Park he set up both goals. – one for Christian Atsu and then the winner for captain Jamaal Lascelles.

One was for Christian Atsu after 19 minutes, and the other was the winner for captain Jamaal Lascelles after 68 minutes.

And it was the second game in a row the combination of a right-wing corner from Matt Ritchie and a Jamaal Lascelles header won the game for the Magpies.

Matt Ritchie – Man of the Match

Matt Ritchie’s crosses were continually dangerous, and Matt got 47% of the vote.

Captain Jamaal Lascelles was second in the voting with 22% in what was another great win for Newcastle United.

We are still 4th in the league table after Arsenal and Chelsea drew 0-0 this afternoon at Stamford Bridge, and we are just one point behind the Blues.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Stoke?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• magspuggy

Sep 17, 2017 at 3:57 PM

Re. The atsu pen shout i thought there was contact before the slide as he looked like he stumbled then the slide came and i still dont know how the ref saw him either get the ball or the player. Gladly it didnt cost us the game or even any points. I will say i think atsu is a lot better on the left and he is very very fast.

• Ginger Pirlo

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:00 PM

Great win yesterday, move onto Brighton. HWTL

• toonincheek

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:15 PM

Some commentators seem to think that if a defender
    gets even the slightest touch on the ball, then any
    subsequent bringing down of the player is acceptable.

But – IMO – if the touch is so slight that the attacking
    player still has control of the ball, then the subsequent
    contact is a foul.

This would apply in the Atsu incident, although I accept
    it’s next to impossible for the ref to get it right in real
    time.

What do others think?

• lesh

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:17 PM

Magspuggy

Apologies if I wrongly attributed a post about City looking awesome to you.

The point I was trying to make to whoever referred to [Manchester] City was that there are more than one club with City in its name – as there are with United in their names. I wish they’d stick to using those clubs’ names rather than inadvertently assisting in the two Manchester clubs to ‘own’ the abbreviated names City and United.

Nit-picking I know but it really gets up my nose – especially when I hear such utterances from fans who’ve no connection whatsoever with the City of Manchester!

• lesh

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:25 PM

Toonincheek

Agree with your point about bringing a man down when the ball’s been touched, however slightly should be a foul. All a defender has to do is aim to touch the ball without depriving the targeted player of it then following through and bingo, no foul. A cheater’s charter!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:36 PM

It’s not going so well for Everton so far

• magspuggy

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:38 PM

Lesh 🙂 nee bova mate

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:42 PM

sing in the corner
    And, correct me if I’m wrong, Perez had a goal disallowed for offside. This must have happened early in the 2nd half when I was typing my defence of Joselu piece on here. I’ve only read about it on the blog and have yet to see it. How can MOTD deem an offside goal not to be a highlight. Beggars belief.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:47 PM

Toonincheek
    100% with you there. And a great discussion topic ignored by the pundits.

• G

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:47 PM

Happy to see todays scores going our way, Chelsea Gooners finished goalless.

• sing in the corner

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:48 PM

Chancel
    On atmosphere.
    Good points about pitch mics, and I’m sure we’ve had this discussion before some time.. But if that’s right how much of a trick are the broadcasters missing if, in these days of fast improving technology, they ain’t able to capture a good atmosphere? Would surely be good for their ‘product’ to be as close to the real thing!?

• LGFUAD21

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:49 PM

Toonincheek

I would have to say i agree with you. Unsure what the official rules are but Zouma barely touched the ball, certainly hadnt successfuly knocked the ball out from atsu’s feet so it wasnt a threat.

Even if atsu hadnt gone down though, i still think butland had that covered. Atsu shouldve taken the shot earlier.

• LGFUAD21

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:53 PM

Only saw the highlights of yesterdays game. I was actually watching Sheffield United against Norwich. Josh Murphy was absolute woeful. Got hooked in the second half.

From the highlights i think Joselu was unlucky. He made some mistakes but certainly still needs to start for me. At least until Mitro is back.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:53 PM

Lesh
    A Rafa 101% with you there. Completely winds me up. I would say that there is one place where it’s use is acceptable; the BBC Sport website. Next week we have: Manchester … 1500 Crystal Palace, and Southampton 1500 Manchester …

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:54 PM

Chancel
    Yeah it came from a Joselu overhead kick that did not work – sliced into the path of Perez who was off-side – BUT i would of like to of seen it again as I thought it got a deflection of of the Stoke defenders into Perez’s path from My seat –

• toontaff2

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:06 PM

Was going to watch bits of Ron’s link, but Virgin have blocked it – something to do with Sky and High Court action!
    3 incidents:
    Perez offside goal, was he well offside?
    The freak free kick near the end which I’m sure Butland picked up and moved, after it had been taken, so would be a red card for him, for handling outside his box
    and, one not seen mentioned, from fist half – Lascalles tackled Shaquiri, won the ball, passed it, then after the ball, Shaquiri took a kick at Lascalles – ref not watching – could have easily been a red.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:21 PM

toontaff
    He picked it up outside the box – Butland and the defender got in a muddle whether to boot it upfield or take a short free kick then kick it out of his hands in the end the defender kicked out the box Butland picked it up outside the box then put it down and hoofed it upfield – weird – but we should of had a free kick and Butland it would of been harsh should ofbeen sent off

Perez was offside but I thought the ball came off a defender from Joselu’s attempted overhead kick.

Another incident when Gayle got passed the defender being last man who pulled him back yet the ref played on – could of easily been a free kick and a sending off

• Shadow_Shearer

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:35 PM

Anybody got the full 90 minute game?? Or know where i can get it??

• Nufc-83

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:35 PM

I would like to apogise to all who I called moronic for predicting a top 10 finish. I thought we would be dead cert for relegation with the squad we have. I still don’t think we will finish top half but I can’t see us being in a relegation battle come the final few games. I am buzzing for how well the season is going and so let’s hope it continues. HWTL

• Nufc-83

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:38 PM

It is also a great point that the rules seem to suggest any contact means no foul/pen. If the contact is minimal and the player still has control of the ball after the contact and then gets taken out it clearly should be a pen.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:04 PM

Thanks Ron.

• Tsunki

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:12 PM

I must say when the transfer window shut i really thought we were at least two players short of a relegation skirmish. Rafas rallying call must have been along the lines of “You know I tried to get some players in, and that would have meant some of you would have less of a part to play. Perhaps you thought I was wrong to try to replace you. Well now is your chance to prove it” . If so it looks like it’s working, they seem to be playing for the man. 🙂

• YoungMag :P

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:27 PM

Our squad on paper is very weak for this league. But clearly like Leicester proved in there premier league winning season you just need to work hard for eachother, give it your best and have a good team spirit. Which is exactly what this team has. Obviously we do have some quality in the side namely Ritchie and Merino but we are proving that you don’t need a team of well known players to do well in this league. It’s all mentality and work ethic. Just like Burnley, yet Imo we play a much more attractive game then them.

• lesh

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:33 PM

Chancel

I get the impression that MoTD are very selective in what they show and say about us.

While Neville has been critical and perhaps overenthusiastic in stoking potential controversy (eg Mitro’s elbow), this weekend he was waxing lyrical about Stoke but said nothing positive about us. He said nowt negative either for a change though.

• Belfast

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:49 PM

Souness saying Evertonians aren’t the type of fans that get on their players backs hehe Talking absolute shite as per usual

• gaz 44

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:50 PM

The Perez goal was clear offside i think that’s why they didn’t show it, I ain’t gonna lie I’m not 100% on the rule no more and I never saw it take a touch off the defender but even if it did he was around 5yard off when he attempted the overhead kick so I’d comfortably agree on that
    Was a nailed on pen for me though

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:53 PM

Will they show the highlights on the club website like last year?

• Belfast

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:01 PM

No Jail. They just tell you to look away now if you don’t want to know the score.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:01 PM

Sing in the corner

Well it didn’t come through on tv if the crowd were raucous. Anyway, relative to what it used to be like it was still pish and that’s the gauge I use.

• Belfast

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:02 PM

You’ll probably pick them up on of those dodgy sites if you look around.

• Ron Knee

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:11 PM

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:27 PM

Cheers Ron I’ll watch them in the office later

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:33 PM

Probably wasn’t fun being Rooney today 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:33 PM

Evening Ron…

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:38 PM

I like the way the PL has started…beside the usual teams in the top 3 everything is just turned upside down right now!

Everton in the bottom 3 and it seems Brighton could find it very difficult this season…lets see after the weekend shall we 😀

• magspuggy

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:00 PM

Hwa. Do you think its like that everywhere ? I dont do away days anymore so cant comment on other fans and there noise but agree sjp is not as loud as it used to be.
    Yesterday it was in full voice imho and i love it when its like that but its still not as it used to be when we where standing.

• YoungMag :P

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:01 PM

I love this current team. During my lifetime (got serious about supporting Newcastle when i was thirteen -seven years ago) this is the most passionate squad that I have seen. So much togetherness, it makes me so happy. I literally cried watching those highlights again and just seeing the expressions and desire on there faces during the game.

Rafa has been immense during his tenor, the one thing Ashley got right. He better not screw things up with him.

• msk21dec

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:04 PM

Everyone was jealous how Everton were spending big money but look where they are now. Its not what you spend its how you spend that counts. Mclaren spent big in relegation season in summer and January but still failed. Its about signing right players for your system not spending for the sake of it. Also 1st couple of games we played I wasnt impressed but now I know it was because we had dwight gayle up top. He is a crap footballer. Even as a sub we just cant play properly with him in the team. With Joselu our team game seems much better overall. Also with Mitro I think our play would be better than with gayle too. But currently its working with Joselu. Only problem will be is when we get hit by injuries to players like Ritchie, Merino and joselu. No depth up front. Only thing is to get to January with as many points as possible then try and sign that class striker who can play like joselu for our team but ALSO score like Shearer did for us.

• sing in the corner

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:31 PM

Hail wor Ashley
    One of your digs at the fans during the game:
    “Oh and the crowd have been pish. What happened to the return of the singing section?”

Were you watching the game from abroad on a stream?
    If so, what would you know about it?
    The return of the singing section in the Gallowgate end has vastly improved the atmosphere IMO.