Why Does This Newcastle Player Get So Much Criticism?

We’ve seen some harsh criticism coming from some fans about the play of Ayoze Perez this season, and we cannot understand it.

Whole articles have been dedicated to criticizing the young Spanish forward.

Why?

Yes, Ayoze hasn’t scored yet and yes – he’s missed one or two half chances this season.

But in each of the games, Ayoze has put in a ton of work for the side, and his work-rate has been fantastic.

And he has started in the number 10 role in every single Premier League game this season so far.

One of the previous faults with Ayoze was he would often go missing during a game, but you cannot accuse the 24-year-old of that so far this season.

And don’t tell those Newcastle fans at the matches that Ayoze isn’t doing a job for Newcastle.

The Spanish U21 International was warmly applauded off the pitch on Saturday after 86 minutes when Mo Diame replaced him.

Ayoze Perez – work rate and tackling much improved this season

You don’t get that kind of ovation from Newcastle fans if you haven’t fought tooth and nail for the Newcastle cause in the game.

His play at Newcastle so far this season has been excellent because of the work-rate he puts in for the side.

Rafa must have taken his Spanish compatriot to the side in preseason training and explained to him, in great detail, what he wanted from him this season.

So far Ayoze had been part of the side that have shocked the Premier League with three good wins on the trot.

Let’s hope this lad can keep up his form and also score a few goals for us.

Ayoze now looks a better player than he was a year ago and his work rate and tackling are much improved.

And that’s like many of Newcastle’s players who are not signed by Rafa unless they are personally very keen to become better players at Newcastle.

That’s definitely working with Ayoze Perez.

If a player works his socks off for the side, we never criticise him.

Never.

So we are just a little surprised the young Spaniard has come in for some pointed criticism this season.

What do you think about this?

• jazzyp

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:45 AM

Aaargghh my favourite subject Ayoze Perez.
    Now where should I start!!

• barkel

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:46 AM

He’s probably getting a lot of abuse now because Dummet is out injured

• optimistic prime

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:54 AM

If Perez can get a start because of his work rate alone as he does then why is Colback not wanted?

The lad hasn’t improved since he signed and I’m unsure on the shelf life of potential. He didn’t set the championship alight and he won’t set the Premier league alight.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:56 AM

Shall we just cut and paste comments from the past couple of weeks?

Ayoze does split opinion, for me, if he’s the worst we’ve got to deal with and the main recipient of criticism, things have improved.

He hasn’t quite lived up to potential, but let’s not forget he was a bargain basement buy from the Spanish 2nd division. He’s been good value, pound for pound, but as usual with these types of discussions, can be upgraded.

• JP...from The Rock

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:58 AM

Ed it’s because he’s the scapegoat this season it seems. Some just have to be able to point the finger at someone!

I like Perez but he does need to score more and be more of a threat if I am honest. He does try hard in games though and last match it according to the stats he ran himself to the ground. He has improved slightly on his balance under Rafa but should he be doing more on the pitch, probably.

He is very good technically and more often than not his decision let him down. He has a bad habbit of passing a quick ball without looking which is infuriating. Then again what surprises me is the fact he seldom shoots at goal and when he does it is way off the mark these days (barring the offside goal he scored last weekend). I remember he used to curl some into the to corner not so long ago, and lets not forget his wonderful back heel flick to score against West Ham a couple of years back.

He has ability and I have faith in him. The thing is not even he knows what his best position is. Maybe he’d be better in a front two alongside Joselu? Not sure but I bet Rafa will get him right if not he will have to be a squad player at best or sadly call it a day on his NUFC career.

• ToonFanAbroad

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:59 AM

Although I’m not a regular poster, I am indeed an avid reader. And almost everyday (every article even) we see people bickering at one another like school ground kids…. it kinda makes the blog a bit frustrating to read if I’m honest.

Remember we all support/love the same great club.

Anyways, I’m enjoying the overall vibe the blog has to it now and I’m looking forward to the next 4 games, I reckon a solid 6-8 points (hopefully the lads prove me wrong)

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:01 AM

TAD,
    Wouldn’t it be nice if we all got along with one another.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:02 AM

TFA

• jazzyp

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:03 AM

Trouble is if this summers transfer business is anything to go by, That’s never going to happen.
    I am not saying we carry Perez as we have done many players over the years, But has never cemented any position down to make his own.
    Ok a bargain at what a million quid But for me loses way to many balls and puts us in to many precarious positions for my liking

• Blofal

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:04 AM

Perez laid more tackles than any other player in the league last round.

He has been instructed primarily to press and it has helped the team immensely. If he chips in with a few goals as well then it will be a great season for him.

• jazzyp

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:04 AM

For one minute I thoughts Tads was back there Jfa

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:07 AM

Unfortunately it looks like there is always a scapegoat on social media. Williamson was in the team by fault and not design, he could not help that we only ever had three CB’s and one of them could only play fourteen games a season. He was bought for 1M to help us get promoted, he should have been sold as soon as we were instead of making more appearances than any other defender of the time. He gave his absolute all for the team, whether his Ayer of the year was a piss take or not I don’t know but he deserved it.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:08 AM

I wish he was Jazzy, I used to like his posts.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:14 AM

Jazzy…Not sure if that was in response to me or not. Let’s not get into what could happen in future windows, I fully get your point 🙂

He’d be a better bench option tbh, if we had a better starter, but as i see it, we currently don’t. Perhaps a re-shuffle, with Shelvey coming in, Aarons could offer something.

Within Rafas preferred shape / formation though, I think Perez’ work rate is paramount and don’t expect to see him dropped.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:18 AM

Ibiza,
    Wearside Jack must have seriously pissed on Rafas chips, he seemed to like him so there must have been a bit more to it than a training ground spat.

• martoon

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:18 AM

I like Perez but I can understand why some don’t. His game relies a lot on flicks & tricks – when they work he looks like a world beater but when they don’t he looks pants. However this season he (or Rafa) seems to have added working hard, chasing the ball and tackling to his game so he certainly warrants his place now. He has always chipped in with goals – I think last season he was second or third top goal scorer (from memory).

• Bobbybee

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:21 AM

Ha ha! Jail well and truly triggered. I knew I could do it. Yes, I told Rafa to stfu – stfu talking to the press you divvy. No point complaining to the press, he needed to talk to Ashley.
    And guess what? Rafa said EXACTLY the same thing a couple of days later. I quote, ‘I am not going to talk to the press anymore about how unhappy I am, BECAUSE they can’ t give me what I want’. 🙂
    Nobody digs up the past more than you, you muppet. THAT’S why I keep mentioning it you idiot, because you cry every time I do. Yet you feel you have the right to drag up things from 2007. Don’t you do irony? Over your head obviously.
    Then a dig at Arma. Classic. Why have a go at a young kid trying to make his way in the game? He’s one of us you muppet. He’s not me. You truly are a child. If Arma doesn’t make it, I won’t go into meltdown. He was an amazing prospect, the best since Gazza. He got a full page spread in an England programme as a star of the future. So he’s gone to two shit clubs where he can’t shine. So? Do you think I’ll kill myself if he doesn’t make it, you fool?
    I want EVERY young lad in our academy to make it, because I support Newcastle. Few do. Crying shame how we handle kids, but so what? Hoping one of our better prospects fails, just to spite me only shows how truly pathetic you are. Pathetic. Get a life you muppet. Dig at me all you want, it really just makes me laugh at you even more, but praying and hoping a young lad – one of ours – fails to make, because it might spite me is unbelievable.
    By the way ‘this lot’ seem to be doing well just now. ‘This lot’ – Rafa’s choice – seem to be flying. Anything more to say about ‘this lot’? Maybe they’re just a one trick pony eh? Playing a six pointer on Sunday. Ha ha ha! Football nous? In your dreams pal.

• Geordie-john

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:21 AM

Here we go again ! In my opinion Ayoze has done very well for NUFC so far considering he came from the 2nd level of football in Tenerife. I agree sometimes he has looked like a headless chicken not knowing which way to turn but his work rate is very high. He isn’t afraid to tackle unlike some of our present and past players but Rafa believes in him or he wouldn’t get a start. He will come good if you get behind him and not against him. I’m sure there are a lot of SMB’s posing as Toon supporters leaving their comments on here or there wouldn’t be so much negativity left on here for players to see.

• catchy in norway

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:22 AM

one week he is a world beater and the next he is a ghost on the pitch.

but half of the time it’s the managers fault IMO, putting him with Gayle is a waste of time, they both go for the same runs, this is his ghost games.

stick him with mitro/joselu and you have a different player, a player with something to offer the team.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:28 AM

Bobby,
    Take a deep breath and calm down.
    Who wants Armstrong to fail, I’ve never once said I wanted him to fail, I’d like nothing better than to see him bag 30, I never called for a boycott either but you like to throw that at me as well. I never once had a go at your disability either, in fact I had a go at Hail Wor Ashley when he did, you still accuse me of that.
    A few posters suggested that Rafa stfu but when I mention it you go in to a psychopathic rage. I’ve explained why he was right not to stfu like his spineless predecessors.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:30 AM

Pathetic, Muppet, fool. You are one seriously angry man Bobbybee.

• martoon

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:32 AM

catchy – you make a good point about Perez & Gayle not playing well together. The trouble is if you play Gayle who do you play as the No.10 – we tried Diame but that didn’t work? Really Gayle would fit into a 4 4 2 better with Mitro or Joselu but we know Rafa won’t do that!

• pablos left foot

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:37 AM

In a momentary change of direction, hope Krul doesn’t get a game on Sunday. It would be just like the thing for him to have a blinder, which is just what he’d be out to do!

• pablos left foot

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:38 AM

On second thoughts, he probably can’t play against us. Am l talking bollocks anybody??

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:41 AM

Pablo,
    If he’s on loan he can’t, I’m not sure if he’s been sold or not.

• martoon

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:42 AM

pablos – Pretty sure he is on loan for this season until his contract runs out so yes he can’t play against us as we are still his parent club.

• pablos left foot

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:42 AM

Jail, yep, that’s why l suddenly doubted.

• pablos left foot

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:44 AM

Martoon, ah, right, ta!

• martoon

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:45 AM

From the font of all knowledge that is nufc.com

BHAFC: Beram Kayal and Steve Sidwell are out, while Glenn Murray and Izzy Brown are both doubtful.
    Goalkeeper Tim Krul is ineligible to play for Brighton against his parent club.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:47 AM

Pablo,
    His star has fallen quite rapidly since the last World Cup, he musnt have been that good when back in Holland either, he obviously had something to make a World Cup squad.

• jazzyp

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:48 AM

Geordie-John

Perez is like Marmite are.
    You either love him or dislike him I’m afraid
    And personally don’t think he is made a scapegoat as suggested, He’s better than that but just frustrates the hell out of ya!!

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:52 AM

Jazzy,
    He’ll be praying for Dummet to come back.

• pablos left foot

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:53 AM

Jail
    Yup, it’s tragic what a bad injury can do to a player’s confidence, which l guess is at the root of Krul’s tailspin. He doesn’t seem to have come back to his former form from that.

• TikiTakaAcca

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:58 AM

Onto another point I mentioned yesterday.

Adam Armstrong.

He can’t even get a game in the Carabao cup, let alone in the Championship with a team winless in 8.

The lad isn’t rated. And he isn’t rated because he isn’t good. He’ll just be another Adam Campbell and end up in League 2. People should face that reality now rather then cling onto the hope he’ll come good.

• Big Archie

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:01 AM

I think we , as fans, have a rather confused idea about what makes a good player.

Yes we like to see them try, but we have to get past that.

We need more than effort. We need ability and we need to see results.

Perez may be trying, but he’s just not good enough.

Sadly, he’s probably the best we’ve got in that position.

• jazzyp

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:01 AM

Jail

I’m not afraid to admit Perez is not my favourite player at the club.
    I’ve seen to many games at Sjp where he has done my head in with his fancy flicks that come to nothing.
    And losing the ball in stupid positions that should have been drilled out of him by now.
    But will give my full support to the lads cos we gonna need every player to play to his full potential this season to keep us in the Pl

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:04 AM

Tikka,
    You can’t say he isn’t good, he’s been good enough for Rafa to give him a new deal but unfortunately it isn’t looking like he is good enough for top level. If he was why didn’t a top passing team that suited his style take him on, if he was that good why didn’t Barnsley change their style to suit his game, you can’t just keep saying it’s because he’s in a shite team. Abrahams was in a shite Bristol team last year. If Armstrong goes to a league one club and starts banging them in again it’s because he’s found his level.

• Spoof

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:05 AM

We have had a decent start to the season, better than I expected if I’m honest, but for me the main reason for our start has been due to getting the basics right followed and backed with really hard work, nothing flash, nothing fancy just hard work and playing for one another rather than for themselves.

For me Perez is ok, not great but not poor, but what he has done so far this season is graft really hard and seeing that hard graft is key for us at present then for me it would be foolish to ignore Perez and not play.

If you are to play a certain type of game you need players who can play the way you want them to play, and at present Perez is a good fit for what Rafa wants.

• hibbit

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:05 AM

Perez spends more time doing his hair (during a game) than wor lass

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:07 AM

Jazzy/Big Archie,
    Aye, people said about Colback and the non fancy stuff he does to help Shelvey, that may be very true but there are much better players that could also do that, I honestly don’t know why Tiote never stepped up last year as he was a far superior midfielder than Jack Colback.