Can Newcastle Make It Four League Wins In A Row For The First Time In Many Years?

It was four years ago that we managed to win four league games in a row in November of 2013 – just four weeks before Alan Pardew surprisingly left the club for Crystal Palace.

In the following 18 months, we had John Carver and then Steve McClaren in charge and were relegated.

Here;s the league record of those two managers – who should never have been appointed by Lee Charnley.

Head CoachPlayedWonDrawnLostGFGAGDPoints
Carver1934121835-1713
McClaren2456132544-1921
Total43810254379-3634

34 points from 43 Premier League games.

🙁

But now we have had Rafa Benitez in charge for the last 18 months, and after getting us promoted as Championship Champions in May, we are now 4th top of the Premier League.

Incredible work by Rafa.

Chris Hughton – Brighton and former Newcastle manager Chris Hughton

It would be great if we can win at the Amex Stadium on Sunday afternoon and remain 4th top in a game that is being televised live around the world as the only PL game of the day.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Brighton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• welshgeordie9

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:59 AM

I was actually being genuine, but if it helps the bs arguing then so be it.

• Lindisfarne

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:08 PM

Don’t be glum Welshie.

• welshgeordie9

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:11 PM

I put myself because i don’t know on here who lives in Newcastle and who dosent, was going to pick toontaff, but not exactly sure where he lives.

• optimistic prime

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:16 PM

Pull the udder one ewe fibber

• expatmag

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:20 PM

Welshie…..

If it helps you, I live in Melbourne Australia.

Ibizatoon lives in…….Ibiza
    Shirebrooke mag lives in…….Shirebrooke
    Dubaimag lives in……you guessed it……Abu Dhabi…….lol

• Lindisfarne

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:22 PM

Expat gives a clue!

UStoon another!

Then again Geography is not your strong point is it Welshgeordie!!

Just having a laugh.

• welshgeordie9

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:23 PM

Listen now SFB, who cares as long as the arguing stops, i couldn’t give a rats arse if you or others don’t believe me, really i couldn’t care, carry on arguing you lot be my guest.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:24 PM

Expat…That’s private information!

• welshgeordie9

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:25 PM

Expat

Don’t try to be smart, it dosent suit you.

• welshgeordie9

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:26 PM

Carry on children.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:27 PM

Welsh…What threw me wasn’t that you used yourself, but you named yourself in the third person.

Perhaps a genuine mistake, but then again, perhaps not.

• Lindisfarne

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:28 PM

Hahahaha

• Lindisfarne

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:29 PM

So funny

• Lindisfarne

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:31 PM

Anyway, that Chris Hughtons alright isn’t he?

• Ibizatoon

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:32 PM

Lindisfarne…I’ve a lot of time for Hoots. Want Brigton to do well, because of him, just not this weekend.

Has anymore info come out about this Krul move being made permanent now? Only advantage I can see to doing it now is to play against us. Do they have GK issues?

• expatmag

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:34 PM

Welshie

I am very smart and everyone knows it…..even Ibizatoon…..lol

• Ibizatoon

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:35 PM

And Ibizatoon knows very little, so that’s saying something.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:35 PM

Damn it, meant to say I know very little 😉

• expatmag

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:40 PM

I BIZA

As far as I read todsy, Krul played against Bournemouth instead of the regular back up keeper because Hughton wanted Krul to have some match fitness. He had apparently only started one pre season game. Australian international Matt Ryan is no.1 choice keeper gaving signed from Valencia for 5 million in July.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:42 PM

Expat…The timing seems a bit odd then. Who knows, maybe nothing to it. I wonder if a fee was required as he was technically still under contract? Can’t imagine a fee was put in the contract though, as he was out of contract this year anyway. Oh well.

What’s Matt Ryan like, oh smart one?

• expatmag

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:47 PM

Ibiza

It is probably more a case of Ashley making a few months savings on his salary.

Matt Ryan is a good keeper. He is Australias number 1and is capable in playing it out from the back. He is a good shot stopper and has played for top clubs in Belgium and Spain. He is probably slightly better than Krul, having better disposal skills

• optimistic prime

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:48 PM

Op is unsure

• JackBall

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:50 PM

I know I should stay out of the past 12 hour conversation, but what the hell.

As for Bobby – I enjoy him more often than not, Even if you think he is attacking you, if you can not have a laugh reading his essays than maybe you are too sensitive. Heck when i am busy, I sometimes skip a paragraph or two, but when things ate slow in life or on here, it keeps me busy/entertained for an hour (exaggeration intended with respect to time). Slightly more seriously, I truly believe Bobby’s biggest problem, what sets him off, is not disagreement or even negativity, doubt, and pessimism, but a chronic reiteration of all three with out any counterbalance. We are mostly on here to be entertained, but the entertainment is better when there is more (not complete) togetherness in spirit for the team. Over here in the states, where away fans can sit right behind you and scream insults in your ear, it does at times (especially when your team isn’t playing well) put a further damper on the evening’s entertainment.

As for Welsh. I am not smart enough to ever figure out if someone is posting under more than one name. Never thought anyone did; never thought of a reason to do so. But after reading so often about that suspicion, your comment does look bad. I will however presume it was just a wondering thought about yourself that distracted you while writing your post. Luckily for me, I usually omit those stray thoughts that pop into my mind.

• Spoof

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:50 PM

I wouldn’t be upset to see Krul line up against us, he’s not a good keeper, not now, he used to be and was up until he done his shoulder in against the unwashed, and a shoulder injury for a keeper is the worst injury they can get, from that injury onwards he has been very suspect, yes he’s had the odd great game, like the one he gad at White hart lane, but generally since that injury he has been very poor.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:52 PM

Expat…I guess if Brighton weren’t covering all the wages, that could be it. Still doesn’t answer why Brighton wanted to do it now though.

Fair enough on Ryan, hadn’t heard of him before.

OP…Is that a response to the thread? The answer is easy, as always, yes, we can win. But will we?

• expatmag

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:00 PM

IBIZA

Another reason could be that Matt Ryan will be required by Australia to play the home and away legs against Syria in October as the winner of this will then play either USA or Honduras in Novembrr home and away for qualification for the WC.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:02 PM

Expat…Not trying to be difficult, but not sure why that’d make them do the Krul deal now. For their part, I can only see the benefit of being able to play against us.

Another point I’ve read is that it’d give Brighton the upper hand if they want to keep him beyond this summer. Does the contract he’s signed (1 year deal) actually go past next summers window? Would that not mean he was out of contract after the season had started?

Not really that big of a deal, he was gone as far as we were concerned anyway. I’m just curious.

• Jack Root

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:05 PM

Jimmy Smith
    From last night- In praise of Ayoze Pérez.

Benitez is a cautious manager and like Dirk Kuyt before at Liverpool, it looks as if Pérez is a reflection of the manager’s strategic vision. Rafa’s managerial philosophy has already this season become more important than the style of individual players. From what I’ve observed there is a tactical leap forward with an even greater study of the opposition and defensive shape throughout, particularly when we’re not in possession.

Perez’s chasing and harrying has played a big part, noticeably there is less talk of him lacking physicality. I read on here, someone making the point that you don’t judge a player by how far he runs! Well they need to get with the programme, Benitez clearly does. With 4-2-3-1 were looking to dominate the centre of midfield and being compact and quick at transitions. Many would see it as a beefing up of the midfield with an extra player. Servicing the wide players, wing backs( full backs) and front player.

Usually/ historically a Benitez 2 in midfield has meant two players sharing the defensive midfield work but actual styles can vary. It’s more likely that the team will be formulated to exploit perceived opposition weaknesses. With hours spent on the training ground, working on drills in various pitch sectors. Fair to say, considering Shelvey, that deep lying midfielders could play creative roles and advanced midfielders could play defensive roles. Likely interchangeable given time. I suspect we’re going to see the very best of the tactical Benitez with players playing multiple roles.

• expatmag

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:10 PM

IBIZA

I doubt we will ever know the truth but I doubt he would be in consideration to start against us anyway so no threat really.

Furthermore, if Brighton are happy with what they have seen in the last few weeks, it gives him time to set down roots with them rather than hoping for something permanent.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:19 PM

Expat…Seems a reasonable place to leave that topic to me. Clearly all parties are happy, hence the deal going ahead.

• expatmag

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:21 PM

IBIZA

Seems that way. Well, thats me for the night. See you later

• Spoof

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:25 PM

Jack Root

Not too sure about your defensive and attacking players swapping roles theory, historically Rafa has had a back four with two holding midfielders who’s job is to keep us in the game with the remaining four players having the job of winning the game for us.

Now the holding midfielders can and do get forward but rarely together and this six to keep us in it and four to win it system has served Rafa very well over the years so I very much doubt that he would scrap it for a highly complex mix it up system, Rafa has always, always had the view that keeping it simple is the easiest way and by keeping it simple means that doing the basics are easier to achieve, I do not expect him to change that, and why would he.

• Bobbybee

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:31 PM

Tsunki. Some time ago you came on here saying in a child like manner ‘I know who else you post as blah blah.’ I ignored it, but you were right. No big deal, I don’t hide myself. It wouldn’t take much work to find me if you were a weirdo.
    Following my joking comment about getting to Newcastle from Leeds in an hour, you strangely commented that you could get to Richmond in an hour.
    Strangely, that was where I went to school and is information available on my Facebook page.
    Normally, anybody would say you could get to Scotch Corner from Leeds in an hour, not some obscure little town off the beaten track. That I thought was weird and not a coincidence.
    Last night, you talked about kicking my dog. I ignored it. So you repeated it. I ignored it.
    Strangely AGAIN, I rarely go on Facebook any more, I lost interest. However, the last post I put on there, a few weeks ago, was to tell friends my dog had died.
    First you brag you know who I am. Then you bring up the very town I was educated in – a tiny little town off the beaten track – and now comments about my dog.
    Too much for coincidence.
    Now you’ve freaked my missus out, who’s family had terrible trouble with a stalker, that started online and then got very messy.
    The chances of that being coincidence is millions to one against. What sort of lunatic goes around tracking down people they row with on a blog? Granted, I make no attempt to hide my identity and post under my real name on some pages, which shows my Facebook profile. It wouldn’t be hard to do. You even bragged you knew who I was. It’s easy to do, just what sort of freak would do it?
    Me, I couldn’t give a toss, but you’ve upset out lass. You truly are one f**ked up creep to go snooping into my life like that.
    And please, don’t deny it, you just make yourself look even freakier.
    Now she’s made me go on Facebook and make everything private, which makes it harder for old friends to track me down.
    Bragging about knowing who I am. Mentioning where I was raised. Then trying to get me to respond to comments about my dog is way too much to be coincidence. Only a fool would believe that.
    She wants me to go to the police because she thinks your a stalker ffs. Not my style though. But you probably know that from your creepy snooping.
    What sort of creep does that shit? You need help pal. Seriously. You need to see somebody.
    From now on, just don’t respond to me in any way shape or form. You’re not normal. I would never dream of trying to find out anything about anybody on a blog ffs. I doubt anybody would. But coincidences like that are just too far out.
    Get a life. Grow up. And most definitely leave me out of it in future. That is so sick.

• optimistic prime

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:39 PM

Ibiza

We’re more than capable of winning this one, especially if we play with the same intensity and commitment as the last 3 matches.

I hope we don’t let our standards slip as it’s “only Brighton” we’re playing, it’s a mentality or bad habit Nufc teams and squads have had in the past. I think/hope Rafa has squashed that bad habit.

I can’t see us losing, head says draw heart says win, so win it is.

• Jack Root

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:46 PM

Spoof
    Good to find someone who wants to talk football I was about to call time on myself.
    I think you only need to look at the tactical development of probably England’s best three midfield players in the international team. Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes. Playing in probably the best PL sides during the mid 2000’s.
    Gerrard was essentially a defensive midfielder for England he wore the number 4 shirt but evolved. Benitez played around with his role as he did with others. The point is for Benitez tactical performance over rides any so called optimum position. Just look at him at Chelsea as well.

• expatmag

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:46 PM

Ibiza

Do you need any more proof than 33 above?

• expatmag

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:50 PM

Whatever have you done now Tsunki?

• Spoof

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:52 PM

Bobbybee

Just leave it mate, the reason you get into so many scraps is because you bite to easily, there are many who I just ignore, they just aren’t worth the hassle, if that’s how you feel about some posters then you should do the same, as far as your lass goes I really do sympathise as it’s clearly not on but by mentioning what you have mentioned all you have done is to fuel the fire for them.

A couple of years back I made an attempt to stop one of these arguments, I got accused of being a coward by one of these numpties because I refused to take sides, how pathetic is that, as a result I ignore it as much as I can and only respond when I really have to, you should do the same bonnet lad, all your doing is making yourself an easy target, don’t do that, your better than that.

• jazzyp

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:53 PM

A loss against Brighton brings everything we have achieved over the last 3 games come crashing down, And the pundits out there will be able to say “I told you so”

Momentum and belief is key to getting through this season.A win this weekend takes us into a run of games that are all winnable as Liverpool are looking vulnerable and there at Home.
    Onwards and upwards I say

• expatmag

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:59 PM

Jazzy

Brighton should not be under estimated. They have some good players and have a raucous home support.

Last season, we were fortunate to win. Our equaliser was a complete fluke.

I expect a draw to be honest