It Would Make Sense For Newcastle To Go Back And Sign This Former Target In January

If you believe the reports, then we tried to bring Southampton left-back Matt Targett in from Southampton on a season-long loan deal.

But Newcastle’s too careful approach to transfers raised its ugly head again, and we balked at the loan fee.

But left-back is still a position which could be strengthened in the side, and we do need to bring in another specialist left-back.

Sadio Haidara is out injured again – this time with a knee injury and Paul Dummett is out with a hamstring problem.

Sadio is surplus to requirements, and his contract runs out next summer; Newcastle will try to sell him in January before he becomes a free agent in June.

Matt Targett – Southampton left-back

For a small loan fee – at least it will be less than was quoted in August – Rafa would be able to bring him on loan and take a look at him for five months to see if he is worth signing permanently in the summer.

This is what Rafa wanted to do in August, but Newcastle balked at spending the money.

What – again!

Matt was reported to be very keen to come to Newcastle so he would get first-team games.

It seems to make sense to bring Matt in – assuming Rafa is still keen on the player – with an option to buy the 22-year-old defender 12 times capped England U21 International in the summer.

It would make sense to do business in January, so we are not left with a massive amount of transfer business to transact this summer.

That’s what’s  happened over the last two summers.

Hopefully, they were special cases as Rafa was building his core teams for the Championship and then the Premier League.

Matt Targett has played 40 times for the Southampton first team and for all the England Youth sides.

What do you think?

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:29 PM

So Matt Targett is still a target!!
    A position that needs reinforcing and Targett would be a good place to start!!

• Tsunki

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:31 PM

Bobby -I think we need to sort a few points out.

It wasn’t me who did that crack about the timing of driving to Leeds and back, i jumped on it in the spirit of mirth but obviously that went badly

I wasn’t the guy who accused you of posting as anyone else. Not me

The crack about the dog was absolutely a daft joke about you booting your dog in the air on a regular basis. I’m sorry about the loss of a family pet, I’m not a great one for owning them but I’m well aware of the attachment especially younger family members have of them so genuinely, no offence.

Last I don’t do Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc and I don’t stalk anyone good grief if I had all the time in the world I’d do a million other things.

• Tsunki

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:42 PM

I think Haidara is one of those players who have got used to the pleasures of the sick note and extended stints playing FIFA while being paid house purchase money every week. Shame i thought he was going to do well.

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:42 PM

Anybody on here getting married abroad at the beginning of sept next year. Need proof of a wedding booking to get kids out of school in term time. Missus thought it would be a good idea to say wedding but was expecting the school to ask for proof 😆

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:42 PM

Wasn’t

• Ibizatoon

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:46 PM

Shire…Ha ha, I’ve seen some requests on here.

Out of interest, what proof are they looking for, a wedding invite?

• Average_Contents

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:46 PM

Decent read.

What a difference to the mute we used to have.

• Average_Contents

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:47 PM

I’m sure somebody could knock up a letter for you lol

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:48 PM

Ibiza,
    A booking confirmation of the wedding for 3rd sept 2018.

Things you have to do for a cheap holiday 😆

• Ibizatoon

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:53 PM

Shire…So they expect you to get that from the people “getting married”?

I’d like to RSVP yes and also request a receipt for your venue for my kids school 🙂

Where are you holidaying?

AC…A very good read. Hopefully Lascelles continues like he has been.

• Tsunki

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:54 PM

Well I’ve just read your post again Bobby and it’s all a bit strange tbh, most of the comments attributed to me seem to be a mishmash of other posters and as for mentioning Richmond well that’s news to me, my missus used to work there and it’s a character on the IT Crowd but that’s all I know about that.

Must be horrible to be stalked and it’s probably why i have no other blog presence tbh. The only charmer I know on here who seemed up for that sort of thing was Jib who once offered to post my bank details on here. I think you’re after the wrong guy.

I think most posters know my MO, and yeah I’m an irritation to many, I am prone to a bit of rib-jabbing and try to have a humorous approach and yes when someone goes overboard I swipe back but life would be sad if typed words on a blog amounted to creepy motives such as you ascribe to me. I hope you aren’t going to promote that idea.

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:57 PM

Ibiza,
    Yes, but there is no wedding so are now trying to get something that looks legit.

We’re going to Greece

• Ibizatoon

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:02 PM

Shire…I got that. Was just running with their request and what it would entail.

Not sure I can help with Greece mate.

Are you renting a place or staying in a hotel? Maybe try and get whoever it is to add something about a wedding reception to your reservation or just leave the kids at home. Probably be a better holiday 🙂

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:03 PM

Average,
    Good read on Lascelles. Let’s hope he keeps his feet firmly planted and doesn’t get “cocky”.

• Mister Tuff

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:03 PM

Shirebrook – nice one.
    I think that the best way out of this dilema is to “ring in sick” – certainly if it’s just going to be a couple of days at the start of September.
    Generally I would be against keeping kids out of school but the possibility of explaining “exceptional circumstances” to the head and getting a”pass” are long gone.
    If the child is doing ok and can catch up I really fail to see the problem -for a couple of days especially at the beginning of the Autumn term.
    Tip -cancel the wedding and ring in sick.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:04 PM

Keep in mind that it could be a blessing, rather than a wedding. Not sure what official paperwork there would be for a blessing. It could be on a beach or something, rather than a bookable venue…maybe.

• GeordieTwo

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:05 PM

Mike wants to explain about Targett. He is very cash poor you see, so it was either pay the loan fee for Targett or get his dog shampooed. So, well you can understand what happened surely……

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:05 PM

Ibiza,
    They don’t know the location of our holiday so anywhere abroad will suffice. They say they want proof of a booking confirmation for a Beach wedding/holiday on 3rd of Sept 18

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:08 PM

Tuff,
    Can’t really ring in sick as we’ve submitted a letter asking for permission so that now stays on the kids file. They will miss 3 days when they start back after the 6 week holidays next year.

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:09 PM

G2
    I think he invested in some more wallpaper 😳

• JackBall

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:10 PM

I second the sentiment the poster above made when stating that a loss to Brighton would not end all the good feelings of the last three weeks. But, I still feel it is a win we must have. We will win and loose many more games, but to loose more, you need to take advantage of others. Who here didn’t have Hudd and this game as wins (draws at the worse) when tallying there season point predictions? Who here doesn’t really want to finally take a breath when we finally have a nice point cushion from relegation? This Sunday should be that time; I expect to exhale. 3-1 to the Toon. (Would have said 3-0, but didn’t want to be too greedy.)

• JackBall

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:11 PM

Shirebrook,

Why not just book a refundable room, and cancel after you have permission?

• GeordieTwo

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:12 PM

That was a possibility Shirebrook mate but Mike always puts his dog El Cheapo first. Well done Mike!

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:13 PM

Jack
    Already looked into that option and it’s a minefield lol

• GeordieTwo

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:14 PM

We go for the win against Brighton as always. I hope Hoser Loo hasn’t lost his starting place, because his positioning against Stoke was excellent. I think he’s due to pop one in again.

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:16 PM

G2
    I think it was a case of him trying too hard against Stoke. Wanted to get one over on his old team but tried too hard. On another day I’m sure he’d of bagged a hatrick

• GeordieTwo

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:17 PM

I was impressed again with Merino’s positional sense and his calmness with the ball at his feet. Several brilliant passes. I can’t see Shelvey getting back into the starting lineup for a while…..

• GeordieTwo

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:19 PM

Spot on Shirebrook. Hoser Loo is a very good signing for us. Now get a main striker and sell Gayle Rafa.

• JackBall

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:19 PM

A left back and a 10 were my priorities this summer. Not sure this lad is the answer. Is he better than we have? I will leave it to Rafa and hopefully he gets at least choice “c” this January. Still not as convinced as many we need another striker, but would trade out Gayle for the third alternative. One area I was not convinced we needed was a GK, an though Elliot is playing well, I think I am now seeing Rafa’s desire for another to compete for #1.

• GeordieTwo

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:21 PM

Mike also bought a video tutorial on how to repair crepey skin. What with that and his champers bills the man is just overwhelmed with debt right now….

• GeordieTwo

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:23 PM

What the club really needs is more interfering spivs from London to “help” Rafa and Charnley.

• Mister Tuff

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:23 PM

Shirebrook – other alternative is just to take child out – and be prepared to potentially get a Penalty Notice (just like a parking ticket) from the Council – £60 if you pay it straight away.

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:23 PM

G2
    Yes Merino is looking like a steal. What I like about him is he’s not afraid of doing the dirty work, his quick feet and how he always looks up just before he receives the ball so has made his decision on where he’s playing the ball next. I really hope we sign him permanently ASAP!

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:25 PM

Tuff,
    That’s my thinking. Just the missus is panicking as she’s a dinner lady at school and there more interested in her having the time off than the kids which is a bit strange

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:26 PM

Unless Ibiza can knock something together for me 😆

• GeordieTwo

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:34 PM

We’ve got a very interesting side now. Rafa has done an amazing job with very little money as we hoped he would. There are definite weaknesses. What to do with Shelvey and Mitro? Are they both worth keeping? Neither of them can control his temper. Both have talent. Very difficult players and Gayle is a problem as well it seems. Both fitness and temperament. The centre backs look more composed than I’ve seen for a long time. Like him or not Colocinni was the last decent CB we’ve had before this. But now with Clark, Lejeune, and Lascelles we finally have a decent core at the position.

• GeordieTwo

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:35 PM

Ibiza is fighting a very nasty sand flea infestation of the crevices Shirebrook mate. Don’t put too much pressure on him…

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:50 PM

G2
    I thought he’d overcome that now mate. Those Ibiza sand fleas are something else I guess. Get well soon Ibiza mate.

• GeordieTwo

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:51 PM

I hope Rafa is healing up. He looked tired on the bench against Stoke. I see Chelsea have finally given up on Costa. Hee hee.

• beermonkey

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:53 PM

G2

i think both shelvey and mitro are both worth keeping if they can control there inner dick head
    i think shelvey might learn and losing his spot will pain him
    mitro i think is a lost cause

1 2 3 6