This Player Showed Real Courage To Join Newcastle – Epitomizes New Spirit

Newcastle United fans have taken very quickly to Matt Ritchie, and maybe that’s because he epitomizes the team that Rafa Benitez is putting together on Tyneside.

Matt doesn’t just have the skills, but he’s completely dedicated to the Newcastle cause and works his socks off in every single game for us.

After an excellent first season in the Premier League with Bournemouth, he decided to join second division Newcastle last summer, and that was a real risk to his burgeoning career.

As we have seen with teams like Norwich, Aston Villa and maybe with Sunderland this season it is tough to get straight back to the Premier League once a team is relegated.

That’s because of the huge money to be made in the Premier League these days why Championship clubs are incented to get promoted as soon as possible.

So it was a real risk that Matt took to come to Tyneside,  but happily, everything turned out well, and Matt Ritchie is a star at Newcastle United and could be a Premier League star by the end of the season.

Matt Ritchie – epitomizes the new Newcastle

Matt has three assists in the last two games which have given the win to Newcastle, and he has five assists in total this season.

This is what Ritchie has said today as reported in the Chronicle:

“You’d be very naive to look at the table now and get excited.”

“For the fans, they can look at it and be proud, but we’re five games in and have nine points on the board.”

“We need to hit the 40-point mark before we start getting carried away. Like any team, we want to do that as soon as possible.”

“Hopefully, we can continue to perform well. With good performances, come points.”

“Confidence is key, but at the same time we need to make sure that we stick with our mentality and keep our feet on the floor and continue to improve.”

“If we continue to improve, we’ll win a lot of games. We have to make sure we stay focused on the job in hand and not get carried away with looking at the table.”

“At the minute, it looks rosy, but it’s a long season and there’ll be a lot of ups and downs. We need to make sure that we continue to improve and stay focused on the job in hand.”

“I left Bournemouth, which was a fantastic stage and period of my career. I look at that very proudly and have fantastic memories.”

“I made that decision at the time. A lot of people raised eyebrows. We’re back in the Premier League.”

“Last year went to plan. It could have gone so differently, but it didn’t through a lot of hard work from everyone involved.”

“We’re now where we want to be, but by no means have we achieved anything yet. We’re five games in.”

“We need to keep our feet on the floor. If you take your foot off the gas, you get punished.”

“We need to keep our feet on the gas and keep improving, raising the bar and getting better, because we have to keep winning games.”

Lee Charnley and company had to be persuaded to pay the extra £2M last summer (2016) to sign the Scottish International forward for £12M when they thought he was only worth £10M.

In the past, we would have bickered, argued, and negotiated with Bournemouth for weeks and weeks over the transfer fee and ended up not getting him.

Maybe this is a good example of why Ashley and Charnley should be (completely) guided by Rafa’s football knowledge and experience on all transfers.

It doesn’t look like the hierarchy have learned yet with difficulties in this summer’s transfer window.

But maybe we can have an excellent January transfer window?

Hope so.

• sing in the corner

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:30 AM

Moderated! Oh the shame

• sing in the corner

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:32 AM

I had a go on a cigar once, one New Year’s Eve many years ago, when a teenager. Nobody told me you’re not supposed to draw it all back like a pro ciggy smoking ‘hard lad’. Never been so sick in me life 🙂

• Veltman

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:47 AM

expatmag – hope you are well mate.
    Seriously though, this is a football blog.
    And don’t think he’s coming in here to talk football other than digging stuffs that he doesn’t belong as you put it.Sad really.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:47 AM

Ballerfan,
    The two Brighton cup defeats had more to do with our deliberate policy of exiting cups than it being a bogey ground, after all we’ve only played there three times.
    No wondered we were screwed, what type of captain is happy to take time off for a cup knowing his replacement was being sent out to fail.

• expatmag

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:57 AM

SITC

I remember my dad catching me under age drinking and smoking one night in the Crown on Low Fell when I was 15.

He made me smoke the biggest fattest cigar he could find. I have never been so sick in my life.

Pretty sure me old mate, Tuff, being put through the same by his Dad too…….lol

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:00 AM

Krul was a good servant for us but seemed to get worse every season and seemed to accept conceding shoddy goals and congratulating Defoe was unacceptable! Pretty sure if Rafa was boss and seen that he would have been subbed off in the second half!

When Rafa came in initially he might have heard of disruptive influences and maybe Krul got lumbered in with that particular cliche who were too comfortable and didn’t show the application that Rafa wanted !

• expatmag

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:06 AM

Veltman

Oh well. It takes all sorts mate.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:07 AM

LCBP,
    I think it’s had a lot to do with that as well. When Lascelles was famously shown to shout no one gives a f#*$ I think Krul was part of that mentality, he’d picked the ball out of the net way too many times and he should have been after that Defoe goal not laughing and joking with him.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:09 AM

fuming

• expatmag

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:10 AM

LCBP

I think Rafa has the right idea. The likes of Krul Colback etc, even though home grown, are wrll past their use by date.

Rafa is trying to upgrade and as quickly as possible. Tbe likes of Atsu Hayden Merino Murphy yedlin will all improve with age and expert coaching

• jazzyp

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:13 AM

Veltman

Can you explain that message you sent to Shirebrook the other day??

• expatmag

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:13 AM

JFA

The attitude changed the moment Rafa walked through the door.

World class manager and to be honest, tne best signing NUFC have made since Shearer

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:17 AM

@Jail for Ashley

Yeah I think when he initially came in Rafa thought that maybe he could turn some of these guys around but some of them like Taylor , Janmatt etc were already too far gone if only we had got Rafa a few games earlier when we had that 2 week break before the Stoke game!!

@expat Krul , Colback and Saviet are arguably the last of that squad who weren’t pulling their weight or having the quality its about time we had someone ruthless who can even accept that some players that he has signed need moved on just sometimes it doesn’t work out no matter how well you scout them

Saviet though I still think he could have a part to play this season he does have quality its just whether he has the desire anymore

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:24 AM

Expat…as you say it’s very obvious what I was referring to…I shouldn’t have to rephrase it…you got it the first time!

• expatmag

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:26 AM

LCBP

I have never seen Saveit play for us so I cant really comment but when he was made available for transfer and tbere didnt appear to be any takers even on loan, it tells its own story really.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:28 AM

LCBP,
    That Stoke game was bizarre, he was so determined to get a draw he just couldn’t see it was there to be won. I wonder if a move for Rafa was actually on the cards after that Chelsea debacle, there is no doubt in my mind that had Rafa came in for the Stoke game we’d have stayed up.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:29 AM

@expatmag

Yeah it was a similar situation to Gouffran last year I would say but Rafa managed to get something out of him

The manager who had Saviet last season on loan said he wasn’t the same player that he thought he was getting said his hunger had gone since he got the big wages !!

He is still on 3 years left at 30 or 40k a week though so we need to try and get something out of him or at least make him more appealing for a transfer to get him off the wage bill

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:29 AM

Jesper,
    So obvious that none of us have a clue what you’re on about!

• expatmag

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:30 AM

JESPER

Then why involve yourself with a snide comment when it had absolutely nothing to do with you?

Looks like needless shit stirring to me.

If you concentrated more on football on this blog rather than involving yourself in other bloggers issues, you might get a modicum of respect on here, even from me.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:31 AM

@Jail

Stoke were woeful in that game as well pretty much like they were last week even though they have spent a lot of money they haven’t really improved since that game whereas we dominated them for large parts of the game and should have been out of sight before they got the equalizer…. despite spending less money!!

• carl

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:39 AM

Bobbybee
    “Don’t let the buggers get you down”.
    Your passion for the Toon is an inspiration.
    HWTL.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:48 AM

Expat…what transpires on here concerns everyone because it impacts everyone…

It’s not a snide emphasising that…having a go on someone else the way it happen last night is just being snidy on someone elses expense…

Of course I shouldn’t mind myself…no one should here!

• magscar

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:48 AM

Find myself in agreement with Jesper and Carl (possible first?). Grown men with very little football input in the main take delight at poking at another poster to knowingly stir up blog, get the expected reaction and cue faux outrage. Oh snigger snigger over their keyboards what it is to be part of the gang. Grow up the lot of you.

Bobby does rant but usually when another poster winds him up. He posts mostly sense and is interesting to read whether you agree with him or not. The Blog is undoubtedly better for his input. More than I can say for most of his detractors.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:49 AM

*it’s not being snidy… it should read

• Ibizatoon

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:49 AM

Expat…All due respect mate, but were you involved before you initially commented last night?

I’d hope you know I enjoy your input, but your post at 19 could just as easily be addressed to you.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:50 AM

It seems I am not alone here…funny how I am the snidy one pointing this out in a normal manner!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:52 AM

Jail #18…what is it with you…seriously?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:54 AM

Expat #19…I don’t need your respect but it would be nice to have…I like you as a poster and contributor but if you have a problem with me so be it!

• jazzyp

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:55 AM

Veltman

Wondered if you wanted to talk about having a girlfriend and finding love on a football blog???
    Pot.. Kettle

• Shoulders knees

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:01 AM

Good morning all.
    Whats your favourite Toon moment then?

• carl

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:02 AM

magscar
    Well said. Bobby personally reminds me of when I first went to SJP hearing the grown up fans talk, shout and sing about their team. He has a sound football knowledge so I can tolerate his occasional excesses.

• jazzyp

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:02 AM

“Benitez making a masterpiece out of broken crayons”
    What an apt headline

• expatmag

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:04 AM

Ibiza

The bloke has been bugging me for months. Not just last night. I rarely post these days as I have more things going on in my life hut tbis person continually puts down others opinions whilst setting himself up as the one and only expert on the club. It boils my piss mate.

And do you really think I am the only one he annoys?

• Ibizatoon

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:04 AM

Jazzy…Have a link?

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:05 AM

Jazzy,
    As bladeuser so succinctly put it, this is a football blog not a dating site.

• jazzyp

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:06 AM

Shoulders

Many many years ago I went to one of Shay Givens charity events that he use to do for the kids hospice.And I got to meet our beloved Sir Bobby Robson for a one on one, Something I will never forget

• expatmag

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:07 AM

JESPER

I dont have a problem with you as long as you dont come on here as a WUM.

We have enough of them on here already to deal with.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:10 AM

Expat….That’s a different matter completely. I’m aware not everyone on here likes Jesper, I think he knows that too. For me, he’s a decent person with good intentions. I believe you are too, which is why I commented.

You’ve used your dislike for someone as an excuse to just jump on them in the most hypocritical way, imo. It’s basically the same as Bobby Bee preaching let’s talk football whilst taking yet another not football related swipe at fans he deems less worthy. No doubt this is me doing the same right now.

• jazzyp

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Jail-Ibiza

Morning lads

Veltman sent a long winded post about finding love and getting a girlfriend and for some reason having a pop at Shirebrook about it.
    And then comes on and has a snide pop at Jesper for non football talk.

Thought it was quite a comical blog moment really

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Expat…I don’t come on here as a WUM…

…as I said I respect you but don’t need you, jail or the gang to like me…and I definitely won’t stop poking my nose in stuff when I find some people out of order!

If that’s being a WUM to you…then I am sorry!