Benitez Comments On Chris Hughton And Jamaal Lascelles

In his press conference today Rafa Benitez was very calm as expected and he seems to have recovered from the surgery he had recently which kept him at home watching the TV for our game at Swansea which we won 1-0.

Rafa doesn’t know Chris Hughton very well, but it was obvious last season he has great respect for the former Newcastle manager who was the one who got us promoted back in the 2019-2010 season at the first attempt.

Both managers seem to have great respect for each other, and they are both loved by the Newcastle fans.

Rafa Benitez and Chris Hughton at St. James’ Park last season

This is some of what Rafa said in his press conference today:

“All the staff tell me how good he is as a person. I have a good relationship with him.”

“At the moment I am only thinking about getting three points at Brighton and that’s it.”

“It is important to have confidence but approach the game the same way as the last three games.”

“We have been talking about how players should react to being dropped. Players need to prove they should play”

“Lascelles is an example to the others – to work hard and get back into the team. Prove to the manager they deserve to play”

“Those in the stands need to prove to me they can play”

Jamaal Lascelles has proved himself an example to other Newcastle players in many different ways, and those are some of the reasons Rafa made him captain last year.

Jamaal’s also in terrific form at the moment and could even get an England call-up soon.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Brighton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Ron Knee

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:26 PM

Ibiza

It’s described as “a little discomfort in his ankle”.

Sorry and a correction. My cousin must have seen them play in March this year!

• hibbit

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:35 PM

August game

the big difference that game was Tom Cairney the kid had a great game knowing Rafa was interested even then it was only 1-nil

• hibbit

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:41 PM

not heard of this one

Newcastle United are prepared to offer Galatasaray an improved bid for Gary Rodrigues in January after having a £6 million offer rejected over the summer.

the list grows by the minute !!!!

• geordiesteve520

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:43 PM

Repost: What’s the obsession with a ‘number 10’? The formation that we play does not require one; we have two very talented passers of the ball who can link up play really well. I think that we need to play to our strengths and a smaller, second forward who can play on the shoulder of Joselu/Mitro would be much more beneficial for us that a number 10, much like the partnership of Keegan/Toshack, whilst I don’t want to revert back to a traditional 442, I don’t think a number 10 is essential. That, in my opinion, is what robbed us of the best of Sissoko; someone (P45due) filled his head with vitriole and he became his own worst enemy; I saw him as the next Patrick Vieria not, the next Zidane. I’d rather play with Hayden holding, Merino and Shelvey dictating tempo and arriving in the box late, allowing Atsu/Ritchie/Murphy/Aarons et al to play higher up and get around our forward, at least until January comes and we can sign Aguero to play off our big man
    ?

• Tsunki

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:43 PM

When one of your own has come to an informed and mature decision that they would prefer to support another team than NUFC, of course it’s only right that they should be asked to leave the house and make their way into the world on their own as they can obviously make adult decisions.

It may seem a little harsh on an 8 year old, but life is no bed of roses. 🙂

• Tsunki

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:45 PM

Geordie Steve – not sure when i fell backwards off the cart there, at the Aguero bit or the Zidane/Viera part 😀

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:51 PM

Doing well so far. Best player so far Lascelles, complete u turn over his former self.
    Just hope we can get this momentum going so we can be safe.

Memories:

Will never forget those days.

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:59 PM

Aguero is signing for us in January is he?? 😆

• Tsunki

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:00 PM

Yep January when the North East weather is at its finest.

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:06 PM

Can’t wait til Jan now then!

• DaveD1000

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:15 PM

it’ll be on twitter tomorrow

• Tsunki

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:20 PM

I was going to make a joke about going on Twitter and stalking him but under the circumstances…perhaps wise not to..

• bettyswallocks

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:20 PM

Rafa’s tactical nous proved to be what the doctor ordered in the Championship and secured us promotion thus fulfilling the object of the exercise. He is now proving that in a league where we were expected to struggle, he is capable of organising the team to hold their own with sound collective organisation as oppose to relying on individual moments of brilliance.

Surely even someone as bull headed as Ashley can see the value of having a top class manager to run the show and will not risk losing our best hope for years of achieving anything.

• magscar

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:39 PM

Expat

I also haven’t been ignoring you but after my post this morning real everyday life made an unexpected and unwelcome arrival (as it does) but that is irrelevant except to realise that there really are much more important things than the sometimes mayhem on here.

As I said earlier Bobby is “marmite” and his post was really strange particularly about Tsunki but enough said on matter.

Your take on blog – bit of humour and sensible discussion is how I feel and most are of the same mind thankfully. Last year got so bad I even stopped reading it for several months.

Not being patronising but you generally carry off your personal take on Blog pretty well and you make commonsense and not necessarily just safe middle of the road comments which add to the colour of debate.

Thanks for taking the trouble to sincerely say where you are coming from but without looking for an argument or point scoring. Refreshing.

Would like to think I have a North Yorkshire Fri wine night to look forward to but not looking promising but there’s always the telly arrghhh!!

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:51 PM

OP
    On the Man U debt; it came from the way that American fella bought the club. A bit cheeky if you ask me. You could buy Newcastle the same way if you wanted and your bank manager loved you. Just follow the simple instructions:
    – Arrange with Jabba a price for the club (let’s say 400 million).
    – Borrow 400 million from the bank.
    – Buy Newcastle from Fatty.
    – Club borrows £400 million and pays you back.
    Hey presto, you are now the owner of a premiership club and it hasn’t cost you a penny.

• bettyswallocks

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:54 PM

The other noticeable improvement to me is that now the team are playing for each other with everyone understanding what’s expected of them , there is no hesitant nervous play which used to create tension in the stands and make it nearly impossible for players to express themselves and show their true ability. Credit for this must also go to Rafa.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:56 PM

The next Mike
    I think Abrahams was a cheap temporary version of that goal scoring hold up striker, but refusal/dithering on bunging his agent a million scuppered that.

• hibbit

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:58 PM

Tsunki @ 12
    best not mate things have only just settled down

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:15 PM

I don’t know if others would find these affirmations helpful, but they aid me in navigating the choppy waters of the blog:
    1- I am not my opinion.
    2- I am not my avatar.
    3- No hearts, no self-esteem.
    🙂

• geordiesteve520

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:18 PM

Tsunki, i you watch Sissoko at Tolouse, he is a dynamic, hard tackling box to box midfielder – yet another player ruined by mismanagement. As for the Aguero one, we can but dream…

• geordiesteve520

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:19 PM

There was supposed to me an sarcastic looking emoji at the end of my initial post to show I was kidding about Aguero…oops :p

• hibbit

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:23 PM

hard to imagine Sissoko being described as dynamic

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:29 PM

On the Monk comments, they are Middlesbrough’s next opponents and are below them in the league, so Gary’s got to go to the previous year to get his excuses in early. TBF it couls be argued, they played some of the best football, but not the most successful.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:35 PM

Fair play Tsunki, if they’re old enough to want a Man U shirt, they’re old enough to sweep chimneys and live on the streets.

• optimistic prime

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:42 PM

Who the fcuk is Collocini

Getting rid of him was like winning the FA Cup, I’m assuming obviously.

I only bring that twat up because of Lascalles, not the finished article having a bit of a purple patch but the boys a leader and he is still a boy. Fair play to him and I hope he keeps up his intensity.

• GeordieTwo

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:49 PM

We’ve got the team to beat so let them all try us on. We’ve got Hoser Loo so why would we need Sissypuss? No, this is a hard working team without divas (except possibly Shelvey and Gayle?). Let them sit on the bench and eat crumbs I say! Harrumph….. now where was I? Oh yes we’re on a run now so look out! We’ve got wor stompin’ boots on and it’s nearly time to deliver the knockout blow!

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:53 PM

OP,
    Very hard to pick a favourite player of the Mcardew era, a team full of players happy to strike and desperate to get away. Mike Williamson was my favourite player of the time and that tells you everything about the so called stars we had here.

• GeordieTwo

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:58 PM

Well said @19 Chancel. And here are my own thoughts on bloggery and life in general:
    1. just because I have fluffy bunny slippers doesn’t mean I’m not manly.
    2. many on here have great wisdom to give us…. and then there’s welshie…
    3. Newcastle is the only club worth supporting! Keep working on that 8 year old Tsunki mate!

• sing in the corner

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:05 PM

Got a song stuck in my head..
    Joselu lu lu
    He might score one, he might score two…

🙂

• GeordieTwo

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:06 PM

I thought Mbemba would make a decent fullback or even a stand-in DM. Well done to Rafa for trying him at LB. I don’t think he has much to offer in attack but he can be very tidy on the ball and has some pace and a head for a decent pass. We still need that permanent LB in though, as for me Dummett is only average. Looking forward to the Brighton game although I hope Krul isn’t in net for them.

• GeordieTwo

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:09 PM

Hoser Loo! Oh Hoser Loo!
    You can score some goals
    And you’re nearly Geordie too!

• Fostino

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:10 PM

Liking the transformation

Looking ahead to the next window I think lb. Gk. A no. 10 And st is priority. Hopefully woodman might solve the gk. If I he’s good enough then he’s old enough imo..look at pickford. We need to be careful not to lose him.

In other to fund a good lb…no.10. and St I’m hoping the sales of colback..good..haidira..darlow..saviet and mitro/ or gayle will help and will also shift some wages.

This puts elliotts..dummett..perez and joselu positions at risk but this would make a great bench too.

• sing in the corner

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:10 PM

• sing in the corner

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:15 PM

I know what you’re thinking.

Wtf??

There’s a party in his pants, and everyone’s invited.
    Ed, am I banned now?

• GeordieTwo

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:23 PM

I hope Claudia and Agata are still going to our matches. Tell you dad to put his feet up once in a while as well girls. I’ll have him down to Blog End at the end of the season…..

• Ron Knee

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:25 PM

“After five games, Matt Ritchie and Isaac Hayden both have three bookings – which means that they are two away from an automatic one game suspension. In order to avoid that fate, they can be booked just once more between now and December’s visit to Arsenal.” (nufc.com)

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:26 PM

Sing,
    I was thinking more along the lines of. Rock out with ya cock out!

• GeordieTwo

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:35 PM

We should focus on one or two key signings in the January window. It’s up to Rafa to decide which need most attention (that’s me saying I’m not sure). Mike will not spend willy or even nilly if we’re at mid table by then. And he has other urgent priorities for the little bit of cash he has. There’s the scalp massage, the lint remover, the new hairpiece…. the list goes on and on.

• GeordieTwo

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:36 PM

I think at the ten goal mark we should induct Hoser Loo into the Nearly Geordie Hall of Fame…

• GeordieTwo

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:38 PM

I was just joking about the fluffy bunny slippers lads. They’re actually tiny giraffes…..

1 2 3 5