BBC Pundit Points Out Newcastle’s Big Weakness

Jermaine Jenas joined Newcastle back in 2002 when Sir Bobby Robson was the manager, and he stayed with us for three seasons and played 152 games with 12 goals for the Magpies.

He left for Tottenham Hotspur in the summer of 2005 when Graeme Souness was manager and Jermaine got sick of feeling like a goldfish in a bowl at Newcastle.

Jermaine is an intelligent lad and has turned out to be a good pundit on BBC, and he has pointed to our biggest weakness at the moment.

That’s the lack of goalscorers in the side, and we have relied on center-back and captain Jamaal Lascelles has scored our two winners in the last two games.

Jermaine Jenas – very good BBC pundit

This is what Jermaine has told BBC Sport:

“Just to put a slight dampener on it, I suppose – it has been absolutely phenomenal what they have been able to achieve.”

“But it has been their center-half that has popped up with their last two winners.”

We know the lads have been practicing their shooting this week after we missed maybe five good chances in our last win against Stoke at home.

Stoke were hammered 4-0 by Chelsea yesterday at home, and we watched that game but the only difference with the game against Newcastle last weekend was that Chelsea have world-class strikers.

They took their chances yesterday, and Alvaro Morato got a hat-trick with Pedro scoring the other goal.

That’s what you get when you pay £70M for a striker – remember we paid only £5M for Joselu.

We don’t have that kind of money to buy one player right now, but we will get richer as we finish high up the Premier League next May.

Hopefully!

It also shows with limited transfer funds what a great job Rafa has done this season – so far.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Brighton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:29 AM

I wonder if Abrahams would have made a difference.

• giimps

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:42 AM

Jail,
    You could substitute Pea, Lacazette, and every other striker we have been linked with over the last few seasons, who knows, I just think Joselu brings something different to the party, he may have been trying too hard vs his previous club but he’s getting the chances in good positions si imho he will get goals this season.
    It don’t matter who scores the goals though as long as we get a positive result (although it would be nice for one of our strikers to finish in double figures for goals and assists)

• hibbit

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:48 AM

Jail for Ashley
    i still have faith in Joselu the lad gets in some great potions and i still think /hope the goals will come far to soon to write him off
    the money for Abrahams for a loan deal with no buy agreement in place was just crazy so far he’s looking no better than Joselu

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:50 AM

giimps,
    Abrahams was supposedly on his way. If he gets fifteen in a poor Swansea team then Rafa will be dishing out a big told you so.

• Rotonda heights

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:51 AM

for me, despite his misses, joselu has symbolised the togetherness, passion, hard work and just sheer joy and feel good factor at the minute.

• Krul To Be Kind

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:53 AM

The more Joselu plays the more the other attacking players will get to know his game and find the spaces he creates with his movement to run into, it’s early days and I think we’ve goals throughout, not just up top and if he isn’t going to be prolific then we need all attacking players to chip in which they have the capabilities to do.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:54 AM

hibbit,
    Aye, hopefully Joselu will find his shooting boots and all will be well.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:01 AM

I hope Hodgsons Palace don’t score another goal all season. I used to like him before that last Euros. Cowardly exit after the Iceland game, did he once even try to explain why he had Kane on corners.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:04 AM

Tsunki,
    I haven’t got Chrome cast, I’m just going to toddle up to an old fashioned boozer and have a pint or four.

• The blogger formally known as OP

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:05 AM

Best take those six points back cos a defender scored

• The blogger formally known as OP

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:06 AM

Jenas would be better on stage in finding Nemo as he talks utter tripe when it comes to football

• toon kk

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:13 AM

We have made a great start to our season, which is fab and long may it continue. The pundits are right, our main goal threat isn’t from strikers.
    I’m not getting carried away we’re where we are down to not just good performances but our fixtures of late.
    Survival will be our priority anything above is a bonus.

• Legolas

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:17 AM

Woke up this morning loooking forward to the game this afternoon, then the missus reminded be of the bairns birthday party at the soft play at 15.00-17.00. What an absolute liberty. I wouldn’t care her birthday was earlier in the week and we had a party and everything. When did it change that you get 2 parties now.

Going to have to record the match turn Phone off and If anyone tells me the score I will drop kick them on to the bouncy castle. A seriously annoyed fan.

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:17 AM

Is it me or does Jenas’ forehead get bigger every time you see him. Proper Tefal head on him like. I wouldn’t say he’s a good pundit either.

Anyway on today’s game. I think we’ll draw!

• 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:22 AM

for anyone who likes a bet. our odds against liverpool look generous 13/4 at coral when we are at home.

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:24 AM

Legolas,
    I feel your pain mate. This season I’ve wrote every game and timings on the calendar so my missus has to plan round those. I’ve also downloaded the fixture calendar to her phone from NUFC.co.uk. So if she forgets to look at the calendar her phone will give her a little reminder 😆

• catchy in norway

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:30 AM

he is a poor pundit like the rest. there all sheep and say the same thing.
    he may have piped up with the last 2 winners, but it’s not because we don’t creat, we have created some fantastic chances, poor finishing and great goal keeping. but soon these will go in.
    worry when we don’t creat the chances. there’s a good lad

• SUTTY1978

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:00 AM

Just watched Sunday Supplement on Sky. Apparently Brighton should be “putting Newcastle in their place” by beating us today. And also the fact that Rafa got asked the question about the possibility of getting into the Champions League is the fault of the fans for getting carried away!

• hibbit

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:02 AM

well said catchy 100% agree

• Doontoon

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:06 AM

On another day Joselu would have had 3 or 4 last weekend. Then what would the pundits say we lack?

• Ibizatoon

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:12 AM

It’s alright lads. He didn’t call us Mackems and swear to kill our first borns, just that in the last 2 games, it’s been our CB that’s won it for us (which he has), which he calls a “slight dampener on it”…. “I suppose”

• Legolas

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:14 AM

Shirebrook,

Ha ha now that is an idea. However, I am already told on a daily basis I watch to much football. So it might not go down to well.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:17 AM

Krul…I have no doubt your are a family man and it’s great you get every second weekend off to enjoy football…

…I don’t and I am perfectly okay with that 🙂 I have chosen this life with 3 small kids a missus who has things to do as well.

Football doesn’t come first in our lives…I post in here on my own free time. And it doesn’t take long read the article and leave a comment!

If life throws me a curveball then I’ll not engage a discussion since I won’t have the time to deal with it any way!

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:18 AM

Basically we’re the black sheep of the EPL and every pundit and his dog can’t stand it when we win.
    The fans are getting carried away by talking about the Champions League, WTF!!

Since when??

Some shite being served up for breakfast this morning!! Urine is at boiling point

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:18 AM

Toontaff(2)…I am here now if we shall go through your ridiculous statements once again…

• Slank

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:20 AM

SUTTY,

The Sunday Supp tends to concentrate, almost exclusively, on the regular top six. Rarely is there any meaningful discussion on West Brom, Stoke, Burnley or Swansea.

Many of the journalists on the programme work for national newspapers and as such concentrate on those at the top of the league leaving provincial clubs to provincial / local journalists and therefore have only a fleeting knowledge and interest in provincial clubs like our own. The odd exception are people like the Custis brothers who are from the North East but no longer work there.

• catchy in norway

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:20 AM

I’d love to know what blogs or which fans these pundits talk to to think we are going to finish 4th. I don’t know one fan who thinks this way, if anything the vast majority will be happy with 4th bottom.
    one minute the fans are not happy with our transfer business that both them and pundits think we are going down, the next minute we win 3 and we are going to win everything. I think it’s the pundits who think this way, and it reflects bad on us fans, they think J anus and belendemy played for us so they know how we all think. on that assumption, the welsh are all bellends and all men from Nottingham are homosexual. which is not true. maybe only1% the other 99% are normal, and think normal

• Ibizatoon

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:23 AM

Morning Jesper…You don’t need to explain yourself to anyone on here.

By responding, you’re playing into the narrative that you only post to argue with people, which anyone who has posted on here long enough should know, isn’t the intention, even if you can get involved in it fairly often 🙂

• RUNAWAY777

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:25 AM

Going to pop out for few bits i need for the flight tomorrow call in the bookies to get my bets on then back for the match with a few drinks and watch the toon beat brighton.

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:28 AM

Legolas,
    I got told that too. But since introducing the calendars it gets her off my back. She just asks me every single game now wether I’m going 😆

That’s an hour before kick off too 🙄

• Ibizatoon

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:29 AM

Catchy…Clearly it’s Shirebrooks fault! 🙂

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:29 AM

RUNAWAY
    I sense some optimism coming from you mate. You feeling ok 😆

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:31 AM

Ibiza,

No change there then. It’s the norm in my house 😆

• catchy in norway

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:31 AM

Ibiza that’s Pundit logic, I like it ???

• Ibizatoon

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:32 AM

Shire…I found that just accepting anything and everything is and will be your fault actually makes for a somewhat easier life.

• posada

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:33 AM

SITC
    On Rooney and Refs.
    Yes, you would have to add many zeros.
    Thing is at that level many lads are on minimum wage.
    Ten years ago £25 was more than half a days graft. Half a days pay for Rooney would be £25K.
    But that still would not bother him. The 28 day ban would though.
    He’s been doing it for years. Remember, when he pulled a face and sarcastically clapped that famous italian ref. He sent him for that and it was as funny as out.
    Would have loved to see Ferguson’s face if he had a 28 day ban as well.

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:34 AM

Ibiza. It does indeed my friend. I no longer have to wear earplugs and a gum shield 😆

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:35 AM

Ibiza…morning mate!

I do assume does who know me on here from way back and even those new reasonable posters can see through this misthieves the likes of toontaff(2) are clearly just here to cause…

I think people should know that I didn’t even know or remember toontaff(2) from before I stopped posting for a long period…which was not do to anyone, but because it was right for me to do so at the time!

But when toontaff(2) keeps leaving these remarks to me and clearly tries to provoke me…I think most people would be provoked by him, if they were addressed to them, then I think he should be set straight…he’s comments has no purpose other that to out someone down while at the same time make him feel good about himself!

I know that’s pathetic…I know most people would agree that’s pathetic!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:36 AM

*does = those

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:37 AM

And I honestly think it’s about time someone told him