Rafa’s Ambition – We Can Compete With Anyone – Not Just Thinking About Getting To 40 Points

Rafa Benitez does an excellent job of keeping everybody’s feet on the ground – players and fans alike.

But he also knows this could be a much better season than anybody expected after our seemingly miserable business in the summer transfer market.

Having an outstanding season is good for some of us old-timers who are really hoping for success as soon as possible.

Maybe that summer transfer business wasn’t as bad as we had thought and we have brought in some very decent players, but no expense buys.

Rafa takes one game at a time, and the next game is at Brighton this afternoon where another win will keep us in 4th place, but a draw will see us stay in 7th place or even drop down to 9th place with a defeat.

Rafa is clear that he will keep the players concentrating only on the next game and at least we know they will not get carried away if we (hopefully) keep winning games.

Rafa Benitez on the sidelines against Stoke last week

This is what Rafa has said before today’s tough game at the Amex Stadium:

“The main thing is not what they think or were expecting, it is what we think and what we are convinced we can do.”

“The message has to be exactly the same: keep going, keep working hard and we will have more chances to get points every game.”

“If you said, ‘Are you happy to be the surprise or to be at the bottom?’, I’d rather be the surprise.”

“We want to win and stay there and then you will be talking about the Champions League and all these things.”

“We are realistic, we know it’s a question of time before we lose some games. But if we can delay that as much as we can, it will be fine.”

“Keeping the momentum, keeping the good spirit, I think we can compete against anyone. And then it’s football, you never know.”

“Forty points is a guarantee that you will stay, but I’m not thinking too much about that, believe me. I am thinking about the next win, the next game.”

“If we can win, another three points; if we cannot, we carry on to the next one.”

“With Napoli in the Champions League, we had 12 points and we were out on goal difference, so I will touch wood and hopefully we will be fine.”

We are starting to realize that with Rafa in charge anything seems possible as he prepares the team expertly for each game and has a good match plan.

And he can change that match plan during the match as he sees what the other team are doing.

It really is a huge advantage to Newcastle to have a manager like Rafa at the club.

The club has been reborn under his management and long may it all continue.

Howay The Lads!!

How Will Newcastle Fare At Brighton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• RUNAWAY777

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:53 AM

Morning lads and lasses going for a 3..0 and 3..1 the toon

• toontaff2

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:54 AM

NowTV for me – £6.99 for a day pass.
    Do not want a SKY subscription, hopeless trying to find free streams and though not keen to give cash to SKY, just don’t want to miss a Toon match.

• toontaff2

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:55 AM

1-5, Runaway! 2 for Joselu, hat-trick for Perez!
    😆

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:56 AM

Can’t remember seeing Jiblets posts last night, yet his posts have appeared this morning hurling insults as bold as brass. Been missing awhile, he must be being moderated, what’s he done this time.

• Mindshaft

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:01 AM

Toontaff – Agreed, streams are getting harder to find so will have to give that robbing barsteward Murdoch £6.99
    Come on the toon – 0-2 , Ritchie and Perez to score

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:01 AM

toontaff,
    Do you have to have Sky for that, I’ve got virgin.

• toontaff2

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:07 AM

I’ve got Virgin package, phone, internet, some channels like Sky Sports News and Sky mix. The NowTV box works of the internet, but is owned by SKY. £6.99 for a day,£10.99 for a week, but £33.99 for a month. Sometimes they give offers.

• giimps

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:07 AM

I jus hope the game is better than the uddersfield game, Brighton are more expansive and will attack ,especially at home, if we counter the way we normally do and Joselu /Gayle have their shooting boots on we can do well, add to that the prowess of Laselles , Clarke and Joselu at set plays combined with Timmy’s reluctance to come and dominate his area and this may just see us record another away win.
    I’m going for a 0-2 with Joselu and Ritchie ( he’s due a goal for his excellent play so far this season) .
    HWTL

• toontaff2

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:08 AM

JIB’s been in Spain, closing up his apartment for the winter!

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:08 AM

Is it through Now Tv, how do you get that on your telly

• toontaff2

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:10 AM

Ian Toon’s in Brighton, for those who cannot watch the match.
    He’ll give you a full report.

• Krul To Be Kind

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:11 AM

Expat… I’m at the stage of life in football now where if my wife caused me 30 years of hurt I’d walk out but with the strange old mistress that is known as Newcastle it’s impossible… I don’t want my daughter/s falling into a dysfunctional relationship with no way out as I have! I feel trapped I tells ya!!! In all seriousness though the trials and tribulations of the toon has made my life a rollercoaster ride to date!!!

And a rather sadistically enjoyable rollercoaster ride too!!! Lol

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:12 AM

He’ll be seen after the match giving Rafa some goatee manicure tips and how to darn the leather elbow patches if he ever buys a tweed jacket.

• toontaff2

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:12 AM

Got a NowTV box, bought in Tesco’s for £15, with 2 sports passes free, so cheap! Can watchtv, computer etc with it- opened account online with NOWTV and the box works off the internet – it’s very basic – has to be for my IT skills!

• Krul To Be Kind

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:13 AM

I don’t think Brighton will let us have it all our own way today, this might be a scrappy affair with them trying to keep us out and we may see more of the ball than we have in our recent wins. If the game opens up then I’ll have to jump on the toontaff and Magspuggy bandwagon of 1 – 5 prediction!

• toontaff2

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:15 AM

BTW, we’re still here, despite the end of the world, yesterday!

• Budge123

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:16 AM

Will Ian Carl et al all have the same opinion on the game do you think!

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:18 AM

toontaff,
    Sod it, I’ll go to the pub.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:20 AM

I wonder what type of reception Wijnaldum will get next week. I think some mild booing but not that much.

• Tsunki

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:24 AM

Jail if you have a Chromecast you can cast it to your TV. They cost about £30 and you can cast virtually anything off your tablet or laptop to it. Nowtv is a cast enabled app so it’s pretty straightforward.

Nowtv tends to be somewhere in between Standard and reasonably High Def, depends on your bandwidth really, but still decent.

• Krul To Be Kind

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:25 AM

Jail

He was anonymous for the first hour or so of what is made out of last night game. I don’t think he has been effective much this year!

• RUNAWAY777

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:30 AM

Toontaff2 try and find someone that does iptv turk all the kick off at 3pm on sat and loads more bro