Steven Gerrard – People May Have Misunderstood My Comments About Rafa Benitez

Before Rafa Benitez came to Newcastle 18 months ago, we thought Rafa was a cold manager who hardly talked to his players.

And that was from the press reports we read during his successful time at Liverpool and especially the comments of Liverpool’s outstanding captain Steven Gerrard.

Steven has said that he hardly ever got a compliment from Rafa, yet we have found Rafa at Newcastle be a warm guy who seems to talk to his players one-on-one a lot of the time.

Steven Gerrard and Rafa Benitez talking during Liverpool training

Steven has tried to clarify those past comments as he had this to say to BBC 5 Live:

“It’s a difficult one to explain – sometimes I’ve spoken about Rafa and mentioned the word ‘cold’.”

“And some people take that the wrong way and think you’ve fallen out with him and that you don’t get on with him.”

“I think it’s just he’s very different in terms of style to say a Brendan Rodgers or Gerard Houllier.”

“They focused loads on the man management and got really close to the players and talk to them a lot away from the game.”

“Rafa doesn’t really get involved in that sort of stuff. He’s just a different style of manager and different style of man management.”

“He used to try stuff like provocation with me. He’d maybe have a little bit of a pop at me or be a little critical at the right times where he knew he’d get a reaction from me going into big games.”

“Or if I’d scored two goals in a game – he’d take me off knowing that I’d be upset with that and I’d be fired up to prove him wrong.”

“He always leaves you where you’ve got to try and impress him and always leaves the relationship where you’re trying to get praise out of him – it’s like trying to get blood out of a stone.”

“He always focuses on small details, a very organized coach and makes sure individuals are well-drilled in every position and then he goes through the units.”

“He always did the team shape on a daily basis.”

“It’s probably the part of the training that he focuses most on whereas coaches around him, for example, might do a shooting session, getting possession and other stuff.”

“But when it comes down to how he wants his 11 to be drilled in possession and out of possession.”

“He always makes sure that every single player in his 11 and his unit, those that are ready to come off the bench, know exactly what’s expected of them.”

It could be that Rafa has mellowed with age – that tends to happen  I’ve noticed.

And he is likely to be a better manager now than he was at Liverpool.

We think that’s true, from what we’ve seen of the man in the last 18 months.

What do you think?

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:32 PM

Kacper
    Any chance of some kind of warning to stop me talking to myself on old threads, would be nice to talk to myself on the current one.

• Clematis

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:33 PM

Regardless of the result, we are doing far better than most expected. 3 wins in 6 games is excellent. 3 defeats that only conceded a total of 4 goals.

I can’t wait for Sunday. To be there at St James’ in all it’s glory cannot be described. Only when you hear the crowd roar can you appreciate and understand this great club.

We can beat the bindippers. I hope we play Ritchie as a #10. This lad is everywhere and the biggest influence on our game.

I’d love this:

Elliott

Yedlin – Lascelles – Clark – Gamez

Shelvey – Merino

Atsu – Ritchie – Murphy

Joselu (with Gayle on as sub)

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:35 PM

repost

repost
    Charlie
    Yes, totally. I can understand, because we played that way all last season, But why is it some games we sit off them (like this one) when we are defending deep in the last third, and other times we harry and press in these areas. There is clever defending deep and there is Pardew defending deep. In the latter the team is to stand in it’s shape, Steven Taylor used to put a coin down on the pitch so he knew where to stand, regardless of the other team’s position or movement. Used to boil my fluids watching us defend under Pardew; an opposition player could stand inbetween everyone, be available for a simple forward pass and still not be picked up. Is it better to leave your post and mark a man in a dangerous area and leave some space to be exploited, or keep the shape and leave a man in a dangerous area free to receive a simple pass. Grrrrrrrrrrr. Anyway, it was this kind of defending I was seeing yesterday.
    I did notice that on the few times we tried to press them high, they moved and passed through us pretty easy and created more dangerous looking ‘counter attacks’ from this. Otherwise it was mostly percentage balls into the box from out wide. Some scares, but not many clear cut chances.
    Seem to remember last season, most of our losses came against the ‘lesser teams’ we were supposed to beat easily, and this season is following the same pattern. I think the gap is closing between top championship and bottom premier teams though, will be interesting to see how us three teams do this season, as we have all kept the same style and added a bit more quality to the squad.

and

lochinvar
    The fa ‘convictions’ usually come out tuesday. They have until end of working hours on the tuesday to decide.

• sing in the corner

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:39 PM

As someone pointed out already Liverpool have a trip to Moskow on Tuesday night. That’s handy for us – hopefully they will have a tough game, seven colours of shyte kicked outa them, a few ‘knocks’ and a late flight back. Any help would be gratefully received 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:41 PM

Mark…I dunno, but I would like to try Mitro a few games and if he doesn’t deliver then shouldn’t we at least consider Gayle?

There’s a big difference in starting a game and getting 60 minutes minimum and coming on from the bench and getting 20 minutes tops…and chasing a game!

I know it’s not up to us – that’s been made clear oh so many times – but I wouldn’t mind Rafa started trying something else like he has has stated he willing to in an earlier interview

• Mister Tuff

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:44 PM

See Steve Sidwell is saying at Stoke Joselu was an unreal finisher – left/right/head/volley.
    Mystery why he cannot replicate it on the pitch/recently.

• welshgeordie9

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:44 PM

Drop dip shit Perez and replace him with shelvey, merino, ritchie, or even gayle, simple really, Rafa you suppose to be a tactical genius, so drop perez.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:44 PM

I thought that was some good words from Gerrard

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:46 PM

Tuff…or why he didn’t replicate that on the field for Stoke, Deportivo and now us

• ShirebrookToon

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:53 PM

Move Merino to no10, play Shelvey and Mbemba together and put Gamez in at LB. Mitro will be chomping at the bit.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:59 PM

I’ve just sent an email to the Refs association with the following message.

‘I have seen it suggested that there is a section in the referees rule book that under no circumstances should a penalty ever be awarded to the Newcastle United Premier league team.

Is this correct?

I only ask ask a supporter of this club and must admit I find this speculation somewhat surprising but as the season progresses this increasingly seems to be actually the case.

Can you please clarify the situation for me?’

Probably a complete waste of time but at least it gives me a scrap of satisfaction.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:01 PM

Shirebrook
    I’d like to se that tried too. Also Gamez in the DM position (not with Lee Charnley version).

• Reilly

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:08 PM

Tomer Hemed charged over stamp on Yedlin.

• Ron Knee

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:08 PM

Will we see Colback tonight?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:14 PM

Ron…are the reserves playing?

• Mister Tuff

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:17 PM

Jesper – my thoughts exactly. sometimes a player just “clicks” and everything falls into place.
    When he played for Real Madrid 2nd team he seemed prolific. When he went to Germany he was not getting a lot of goals/ also not a fantastic amount of games. Chicken and egg situation – what came first his lack of goals or was his lack of goal because of not having a sustained run.
    Seems to be a 1 goal in 4 average or there abouts – not good enough for your centre forward – his other qualities may be fine/encouraging blah blah blah – but it is goals we need.

• Tsunki

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:17 PM

Hi Jail sorry I haven’t been back since your post about casting.

Quite a few apps are cast enabled like nowtv, BBC iPlayer, youtube, but occasionally you get odd ones make life a bit more difficult. You can cast your mobile or tablet screen from the home app but it tends to be laggy/clippy as this casts the stream through your phone to the CC rather than pointing the CC to the web resource to go get it itself.

I use an app called Web Video Caster and in the case of Showbox choose Other Player, and select Web Video Caster which then directs the stream to the CC. You can use the “share” option to do this from other sources sometimes.

Amazon prime stuff is tricky because they want you to use their fire stick, I cast from the Home app, but as others have said casting from a laptop is easy because Chrome has a cast button on the top bar which lets you cast anything you see in your browser.

• Ron Knee

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:21 PM

#NUFC Under-23s team v @Wolves: Woodman; Sterry, Yarney, Gillesphey, Cameron; Colback, Saivet; Charman, Barlaser, Aarons; Gayle.

COLBACK!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:22 PM

Senor Tuff…especially when we only deploy one on top. It’s not like we play possession football and create a lot of huge goal scoring chances…those created needs to be executed!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:23 PM

Ron…I signed up the last time you posted a link so I’ll see if a can catch it

• Ron Knee

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:24 PM

Starting in about 40 mins, jesper.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:28 PM

Ron…then I need to be tucking the kids in asap 😀

• Mister Tuff

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:28 PM

tsunki – you might as well have been speaking Chinese with that last post. Do not understand a lot of this new jargon/equipment stuff.
    Sounds very impressive though – so I must compliment you on your technology skills.
    I suppose the sky is the limit with those skills.

• Belfast

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:39 PM

Exactly Mister Tuff. He probably had a thick file on Bobby within 30 minutes.

• Belfast

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:41 PM

Has he been charged Reilly ? Nowt on BBC or Sky Sports app.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:42 PM

Cheers Tsunki.
    So I could watch prime on it via my laptop,via Chrome

• Belfast

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:46 PM

Yer right.

“Tomer Hemed has been charged for an alleged act of violent conduct which was not seen by the match officials but caught on video,” a statement from The FA read.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:48 PM

Tsunki,
    I’ve just opened Chrome on the laptop. Where can you find the cast icon/logo

• Ron Knee

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:50 PM

Shades of Henri Lansbury …

• Tsunki

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:51 PM

Top right jail next to bookmark icon. If it’s not there you need to update chrome or download the cast add-on for it. Google how it’s easier than explaining.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:53 PM

As for your issues Jesper, I recommend “football watching for the husband and father” by Belfast; the most popular and acclaimed bokk on the subject by far.

• Belfast

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:54 PM

Aye it’s hardly any use to us now, but it’ll stop Manxpie whining for a few days I suppose.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:58 PM

Have there ever been any retrospective reds given that weren’t previously highlighted by tv?

• Belfast

Sep 25, 2017 at 7:00 PM

I was only kidding yesterday. We done our times tables and a spelling test during the game and then we recited the lords prayer a few times. I only seen the score on the news after watching songs of praise.

There was no children neglected at any point. (Honestly)

• sing in the corner

Sep 25, 2017 at 7:00 PM

Get in, got my NUFCTV account up n running after some technophobic problems. Can’t wait to see the U23 game…the resurgent wor Jackie Colback set to grab his chance to storm back into the 1st team ahead of outa form Hayden.
    The blog will be having kittens at the mention of his name..

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 25, 2017 at 7:03 PM

JAIL
    Did you catch my earlier post on proxy sites?

• Belfast

Sep 25, 2017 at 7:04 PM

I can’t remember to be honest. Nowadays your usually found gulity by tv pundits. Souness and Henry both said it was deliberate.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 25, 2017 at 7:10 PM

I was wondering how they identify incidents. There was the huddesfield player who stamped on Hayden. Worst of the three, but no retrospective and wasn’t reviewed by tv. If they wanted to check thoroughly, they wouldn’t even have to watch all the matches, just look on a # for each club on twitter and look for whiney tweets.