Former Newcastle Chairman Freddy Shepherd Dies At His Home

News today that former Newcastle United Chairman Freddy Shepherd has died at his home.

Freddy was 76 and born in 1941, and he was extremely successful in business and quickly rose in the business world of the northeast.

Mr. Shepherd was Chairman of Newcastle from 1997 until 2007 when he sold his shares to current owner Mike Ashley.

Freddy was extremely ambitious for his hometown club and he brought Kevin Keegan and Alan Shearer to the club and was Chairman during Sir Bobby Robson’s successful tenure at the club.

Alan Shearer has sent his sympathies.

Freddy made his money through property development along the banks of the River Tyne, and he ran Shepherd Offshore Group with his brother Bruce.

We offer our condolences to his family and he did an awful lot for Newcastle United FC.

His complete enthusiasm and ambition for Newcastle is what’s missing with our current owner Mike Ashley.

RIP Freddy Shepherd.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:11 PM

RIP Freddy

• Our Toon

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:14 PM

RIP Freddy

• Dondatta13

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:14 PM

My condolences to all of Freddie Shepard friends and family. RIP…

• Ben Afri

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:21 PM

Oh geez! This was a shocker! Test easy Freddy

• Ben Afri

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:21 PM

*rest

• Ben Afri

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:23 PM

His death has nothing to do with Ashley, ed. Shameful way to add a point.

• SuperShearer

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:28 PM

@BenAfri – the reason for mentioning Ashley is to highlight when Shepard’s tenure as chairman came to an end. Had Freddy sold it to someone else that person would be mentioned. It’s called journalism. Shame on you for trying to shame Ed who works tirelessly for this great club.

• U.S Magpie

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:29 PM

Freddy loved the club, someone that understood that being a Geordie meant having Geordies at the club.
    He bought back Keegan / Sir Bobby and Shearer. Now RIP Freddy, but still stay connected to the club and every now and again whisper in Mike’s ear, he needs to understand what this club is about.

• lesh

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:31 PM

Bless you Freddy. You’ll he remembered for the good times you brought for Newcastle United.

• Ben Afri

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:34 PM

@SuperShearer – I completely understand. I’ve often made the point that Freddy had way more ambition for this club than Ashley. I’ve argued on many occasions that despite his spending sprees, it was all for the right reasons and those reasons were for the improvement of the club.

As for your comment about Ed, I appreciate his work to keep this blog running especially through the horriffic way he was treated by Newsnow. But these are two separate issues. I’m grateful for the way he’s kept the blog going for many of us who’d feel lost without it, but that doesn’t mean I have to agree with dragging a negative agenda into a piece that is meant to say our final goodbyes to Freddy. That is my only point and my only gripe.

Time and place for agendas, this not being one of them.

• U.S Magpie

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:36 PM

Ben, His death has everything to do with the club and Ashley. This man knew what our club was all about and he tried everything he could to make it work. He thought Ashley would bring the club further along and not kill it like he does, Ed is 100% correct to mention Ashley, this is the difference between one man that understood the fans and the club and one man who does not give a shit as its all about him. Its rare to have a chairman or owner now days that supports everything within the club. Hopefully Ashley read some tributes to this man and finally gets it.

• Ben Afri

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:39 PM

@U.S Magpie – I hear you. I really do understand missing a someone who’s only concern for our club being to excite the fans. I liked the article. I just didn’t agree with the very last part. I know you disagree with me, but I appreciate you doing it in the civil manner that you did.

• Ben Afri

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:40 PM

Anyway, I really didn’t mean for this to hog the attention from Freddy. So rest in peace Freddy, and thank you for giving us what we wanted while you were in charge!

• Average_Contents

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:48 PM

R.I.P Freddy

At least he cared.

• Jib

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:55 PM

Called all Geordie women dogs
    Sacked SBR

• supermac69

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:08 PM

Sleep well Freddie lad, thanks for the exciting years we had under you and sir johns stewardship, only wish the owner we have now would realise what he could have on his hands with a bit investment.. hwtl

• Munster Mag

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:10 PM

RIP Freddy, you cared a lot for nufc

• toontaff2

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:15 PM

NUFC.com : ‘It’s fair to say we had substantial issues with Freddy during his SJP reign, but it was never dull! We extend our condolences to his friends and family.’

• scout

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:17 PM

Great days under Freddie RIP
    Champions league nights were great ?

• dcdick

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:26 PM

R.I.P. Freddy

• Reilly

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:34 PM

Jib is a mackem WUM,he tries to hide it but it comes out every know and then.

• martoon

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:15 PM

Yes he wasn’t perfect and made mistakes but he loved the club and thr most exciting period I can remember. RIP Freddy.

• bobby vee

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:44 PM

RIP Freddy. Thanks for the great times at NUFC a club you loved with a passion!

• Tenbytoon

Sep 26, 2017 at 6:34 PM

Cheers Freddie, best wishes to your family and thanks for the memories

• jimmysmith

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:20 PM

Vale Freddy

• davis_toons

Sep 29, 2017 at 7:16 AM

RIP Freddy.

Yes, the most exciting period of my life.