23 Year-Old Explains Why He Turned Down Newcastle’s Late Move In Summer Transfer Window

Newcastle were trying in the final week of the transfer window to get a deal completed for Sampdoria’s 23-year-old attacking midfielder Dennis Praet.

And while there were reports we had agreed to a £17.5M deal with Sampdoria for the player, it didn’t happen.

The news in late August was that Sampdoria didn’t have enough time to bring in a replacement and therefore wouldn’t do the deal.

But the former Anderlecht star player has voided that story saying he didn’t want to leave Sampdoria.

So much for the reports that he was keen to join Rafa Benitez at Newcastle.

Dennis Praet – didn’t want to leave Sampdoria last summer

Praet has been taking to Belgian newspaper Humo about the Magpies’ interest as reported in the Chronicle:

“I didn’t want to leave.” “I thought something would have changed here, I though the manager would have given me a new role.”

“I love this club and the President is a special person.”

“He has a great approach with footballers and that’s a huge difference compared to Anderlecht.”

“I know Sampdoria received some offers for me but I did’t even talk with any other club as there was no agreement between them.”

“I’ve never played in the Premier League but I’d be happy to go there one day.”

“I am grateful to Sampdoria and I want to replay their trust scoring goals and making assists.”

We had wondered if Rafa would try to get Praet in during the January transfer window but if we can’t do that then we think Dennis will still be a transfer target next summer.

What do you think?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:36 PM

martoon…it always comes down to someone should have done something…it was still a good goal I thought
    ?

…a bit like those two Lascelles scored from a set-piece (somebody should probably have done something there as well)

• Mister Tuff

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:39 PM

Apologies repost.
    Mister Tuff

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:36 PM

martoon – the Approved blogger lists are a good source of banter, however, I think there was an element of blog mischief when they originally appeared.
    Most “listee’s” would probably not give a toss because they appeared.
    Is that always the case though – I could easily develope a theoretical argument/scenario where nominating (insincerely) the wrong person may have adverse effects to that persons well being.
    Precis – person with little sense of worth/good feeling about themselves is elevated to a praiseworthy position -only to be shot down/knocked off his newly acquired pedestal – could this have a bearing on that persons well being. I don’;t know -just a thought/musing.
    Related matters I’ve thought about are social media platforms -robust ones like the blog – and persons with mental health issues -load of issues here I think – I would not have a clue where to start/what would be best etc etc.
    As I say just musings.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:40 PM

Krul…be careful with those opinions mate 😉 lol

I agree with the goal of course – that’s stating the obvious I assume…and as you say we really need to start putting these chances away!

I am looking forward to having Mitro back as it gives us options…

I know chances are slim for Rafa changing formation any time soon, so for the moment we need find a way to make both the #10 and #9 work…I am all for trying something in that #10 spot!

People have suggested both Shelvey, Gayle and Hoosy Loo as you suggested. Personally I don’t think much will change by changing player. We have done that with Diame and SDJ and to be frank it didn’t improve our game. But lets try it then it will be easier to discuss the outcome anyway.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:47 PM

Senor Tuff…no doubt the lists are about coursing mischief…

…a lot of people on here hide behind the phrase that it’s just banter and sarcasm, but that’s just an easy excuse! Behinds most of the ridicule on here lies a bit of truth!

I thing I have heard a lot on here lately, it that some posters only come on here to have a laugh and make banter (they don’t take the stuff too seriously), but they forget how it effects others…they probably don’t care how it effects others, because they themselves don’t take it with them when they turn off the computer. It’s all just a way to have a laugh!

• The blogger formally known as OP

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:49 PM

Jesper

In the last match using Rafas tactics and formation we had 17 shots the forwards failed to convert any into goals.

If we played 442 would it make the chances easier to convert?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:57 PM

OP…I’ll have to get back to you…I am on the read right now! But good question

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:39 PM

Jib
    Not really a fair point, because as a percentage of giro, it’s a ‘bigger’ cost to to traverl from Sunderland to Ipswich, than for a working liverpool fan (the irony!) to travel to Moscow.

• Tsunki

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:41 PM

Jesper who do you think are the main culprits then?

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:42 PM

OP #5
    If you multiply Joselu by Gayle, then take the square root and divide by 2, I think you’ll have your answer.

• martoon

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:45 PM

Tuff – also reposting – I really think you are over-thinking this!

• Mister Tuff

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:05 PM

martoon – perhaps – as I said just musings.

• Krul To Be Kind

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:38 PM

Jesper…

You were being Frank on your reply there, how did you know my name is Frank… this is too creepy…are you another stalker like tsunki?

Sorry… I couldn’t resist! 🙂

Op, on the 442… At first thought I would assume it would double your chances at spilt shots loose balls but would as many opportunities be created with less creative players? A good question for a debate!

• thatmatt

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:01 PM

I’d try Merino at No. 10. Skillful, great eye for a pass, can shoot. Then have Shelvey and Hayden in midfield. Thoughts?