Newcastle Star – We Missed Our Chances at Brighton – It’s Disappointing

Isaac Hayden has so far kept his place in the side even though Jonjo Shelvey is not available after serving his three-game ban for being sent off in our first game against Spurs last month.

Isaac is a good technical player, but very rarely stands out in a match but he is a talented player at Newcastle and rated highly by Rafa Benitez.

However, Rafa may well bring Shelvey back into the side for the tough home game against Benitez’  former club Liverpool on Sunday afternoon and could partner him with Mikel Merino.

Isaac Hayden – disappointing defeat

We can definitely get the win on Sunday too, if we play somewhere near our best form, and Rafa has a good record of having his team play well after a disappointing performance.

Isaac had this to say today – as reported in the Shields Gazette:

“We’ve scored a fair few from set-pieces, but we’ve conceded from one, it’s cost us the game and that’s disappointing.”

“But it happens. We’ve got the youngest team in the Premier League so far – so we’re always learning and we’re always improving.”

“This was another occasion that we’ll learn from. It was disappointing to lose in the way that we did.”

“That was the most disappointing thing for me, not losing the game, but how we lost it.” “We’ll regroup for Liverpool.”

“It was definitely disappointing,”. “I don’t think anyone played how they wanted to play – it wasn’t the best performance overall.”

“We still created chances – we had 17 shots or something like that – and it’s just about making sure those chances are good chances, rather than weak shots.”

“Both sides weren’t at their best, and it wasn’t a great spectacle, but second half we came out and made it more of an open game.”

“We just didn’t really take advantage of any of our chances, and that was that.”

It would be great to get our 4th win of the season against The Reds and make it 12 points from our first  7 games before the two-week International break – which are always dull times for most fans.

Hayden was a bargain buy for just £2.5M from Arsenal last year and one of the many good buys Rafa has made at the club in the last 18 months.

• Our Toon

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:36 AM

Cyprus

Has Ashley ever given an interview where he’s not dìcated what questions get asked whilst in charge of nufc?

JIB

It wasn’t just the sacking of KK, Milner was sold and he was told we would be going for Bastian from Munich or a player of that ilk, instead he ended up with Xisco and Nacho. Then JFK came to the club, you don’t need a history lesson but try to be accurate when discussing the past instead of highlighting 1 aspect to back your point up.

Over the last 10 years nothing has changed, managers still being lied to!!

• Jib

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:37 AM

Pedro Beardsley is confident that Dwight Gayle will emulate his feats for the Toon

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:38 AM

Any player should be able to be dropped based on performance…I think it’s time Hayden took a seat on the bench!

• The blogger formally known as OP

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:43 AM

Jib

Beardsley is confident Gayle will emulate Andy Cole!

For someone who to takes such glee in pointing out others mistakes you regularly posts total clangers. Knacker

• cyprus

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:49 AM

Ed,
    Keep up the good work man.

But I’ll say something re Kacper, whose picture I saw to the right. He’s starting his own business so you may want to pass it on: Customer response. After sales service.

The dude came on here after the new look was done, asking all kind of questions re opinions, changes etc. Apart from many pats on the back, there were some unanimous suggestions. He promised to do something about them, zilch.

I know he probably did this for free, because he’s a fan, or to build his CV, or to get in some practice. Yet, the points I mention still count.

• Jib

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:03 AM

Am I a knacker cos I post clangers (who doesn’t ?)
    or
    Just a knacker ?

• martoon

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:14 AM

cyprus @5 – That’s very unfair because Kacper has actually fixed/implemented quite a few changes that were suggested such as making the text box bigger and fixing the bug that prevented access to old posts amongst others. He has said he will look at the hearts and the paging but hey he might be busy with a website design he is actually being paid for!

• catchy in norway

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:17 AM

another day another dollar

• toontaff2

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:23 AM

Martoon, you dare to suggest the day job is more important than the blog!
    Your name will be added to the list!
    🙄

• The blogger formally known as OP

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:57 AM

Toontaff

Not the approved list, the shame!

• martoon

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:58 AM

toontaff2 – Don’t worry I’ve got broad shoulders and I’m already on IanToon/JackRoot/carl’s list anyway which I’m not sure is a good or a bad thing. 😀
    On topic many suggesting to play a midfield of Merino and Shelvey against Liverpool but I don’t think Rafa will risk that because we could get torn to shreds. One of Hayden’s problems is he has picked up early yellow cards which then limits his tackling – he must try and cut this out so he stays effective.

• Mister Tuff

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:15 AM

not the dreaded multiple approved list of bloggers.
    Causes nowt but bother – is there not a vacancy currently for the list.
    I anticipate a revised edition of the list will be published shortly.

• expatmag

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:06 PM

Oh my God….no……no……not the LIST…….agggghhhhhhhh

Evening TUFF

Hows it going?

• Lindisfarne

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:21 PM

Liverpool will be a real test if where we are. The first match of the season can go either way but now clubs should be into their strides. I would say Shelvey and Merino are equal to their holding midfielders and whilst our front four are not the same quality/price they will be helped out by their poor defence. If our defence can limit their opportunities we stand a chance of doing them over.

• Lindisfarne

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:22 PM

#of where we are

• expatmag

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:32 PM

Lindisfarne

Sorry but I think we will lose. They have too much pace and guile and we have little to threaten their defence other than from set pieces……1-3

• Lindisfarne

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:32 PM

“Win Or Die”

As they say at Spartak.

• Lindisfarne

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:36 PM

expatmag

A spanking is on the cards, but it will show where we are and how far we need to improve going forwards. I doubt our front four will make much of the opportunity.

• Jib

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:38 PM

In the championship
    Bolton Wanderers already look doomed
    If Birmingham can beat Aston Villa tonight in the Brummy derby
    Sunlun wil also be boarding the ship of doom.

Liverpool had 4 times as many supporters away to Moscow
    (5500 miles round trip)
    as the unwashed had to Ipswich (550 miles round trip)

• Belfast

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:46 PM

Cyprus

He’s very busy redesigning the Halifax website at the moment. I’ve been adding 0s to my bank balance all week.

• The blogger formally known as OP

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:50 PM

Nufc 4 liverfool 3

• Mister Tuff

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:53 PM

expat – not bad.
    With you on what will happen at the weekend – I think we are going to get a good old tonking.

• The blogger formally known as OP

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:53 PM

If we turn up with our A game I think we’ll Thump Liverpool

• G

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:59 PM

I have a feeling we might upset the scousers. I think after last week the boys will be up for this, and we might just give Kloppety a bit of a hiding.

• martoon

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:17 PM

Tuff & expatmag – just a bit of banter between toontaff2 and myself. I don’t think most of us give much credence to these lists.
    After last week it is hard to be positive about a result against Liverpool but we normally do quite well against the scousers at home – I agree with others that a set piece is probably our best source of a goal.

• expatmag

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:29 PM

NARTOON

understand the banter mate. Was attempting to join in…..lol

• Jib

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:41 PM

We did try and prise Dennis Praet from Sampdoria in the Summer.
    The Italian club would not accept any offers and so Praet didn’t talk
    to us (or Everton )
    However he seems to have shifted his ground on playing in the EPL

• martoon

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:51 PM

Sexpatmag- no problem 😀

• Mister Tuff

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:36 PM

martoon – the Approved blogger lists are a good source of banter, however, I think there was an element of blog mischief when they originally appeared.
    Most “listee’s” would probably not give a toss because they appeared.
    Is that always the case though – I could easily develope a theoretical argument/scenario where nominating (insincerely) the wrong person may have adverse effects to that persons well being.
    Precis – person with little sense of worth/good feeling about themselves is elevated to a praiseworthy position -only to be shot down/knocked off his newly acquired pedestal – could this have a bearing on that persons well being. I don’;t know -just a thought/musing.
    Related matters I’ve thought about are social media platforms -robust ones like the blog – and persons with mental health issues -load of issues here I think – I would not have a clue where to start/what would be best etc etc.
    As I say just musings.

• martoon

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:30 PM

Tuff – I really think you are over-thinking this!