Some Surprising Comments From Peter Beardsley

Peter Beardsley often praises players and sometimes goes over the top.

But if we are to believe Peter, with all his experience in scoring goals, he thinks Dwight Gayle can come good in the Premier League, and he wishes he could have played alongside him.

He compares Gayle to Andy Cole who scored 68 goals in 85 appearances for the Magpies in the 1990s and 55 of those were in 70 Premier League appearances.

So he may be the same kind of player as Andy, but he’s nowhere near the class of Cole who is one of the best strikers ever to play for Newcastle even though he was on Tyneside a little short of two years.

He was sold to Manchester United in January of 1995 for £7M after we had paid £1.75M to buy him from Bristol City in early February two years earlier.

Peter Beardsley with Rafa Benitez

At that time it was a Newcastle club record fee in the transfer market.

That doesn’t even buy the left big toe of a player like Lionel Messi these days.

Here’s what Peter Beardsley has said to the Chronicle:

“Dwight Gayle likes a certain type of delivery – the type of player I’d have loved playing with because he’s always ready.”

“He wants to make his runs and wants the ball – that is what Andy Cole was like, they’re very similar.”

“To get the goals Gayle got in the Championship and be injured for the time he was, is amazing.”

“He will come good again but needs to get his sharpness and get back to normal.”

“He’s had a hamstring injury from the start of the season, but there will be an important point where he becomes part of the team again.”

“I wish I’d have been played with Dwight Gayle – he would have scored goals playing with me.”

“I don’t want to sound big-headed but he didn’t really have a number 10 to make him a goal when playing for the reserves on Monday night.”

“I was standing on the line feeling frustrated thinking ‘Let me on there’.”

“Obviously I’m 56 now so I know I’m not getting on, but I know what Dwight wants and needs and I could deliver it.”

“I couldn’t run around now of course but I know exactly where Dwight Gayle wants it.”

So we wonder if Peter has talked to Rafa about Gayle – probably – but we just don’t think Dwight has the class required to be a prolific goalscorer in the PL.

Although we would be delighted if Dwight proves us wrong and plays great for us this season.

We’d love the see the number 9 start scoring goals galore for us – as he did brilliantly last season.

🙂

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:57 PM

Tsunki…those who are not sincere or honest about their agenda!

…this place would be a whole lot better if people in the general put others equal…

If that was what you were asking? If it was not about our lack of scoring (talking OPs question in to consideration)

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:04 PM

OP…about your question earlier!

It hard to speculate on that to be honest it’ll just be hypothetical seeing as the question is hypothetical…

First off I didn’t see the game so I have no idea how well or bad the chances were executed…I watch the highlight so I did see a few of them, but from what I could gather form what I have seen, the stats and hear say, Brighton had the upper hand and the more chances up until they scored. I don’t know if you’ll agree…

It was probably not until Shelvey came on we really had pressure on them and stated to create a lot of opportunities…Brighton was defending a goal and just trying to soak up the pressure. That usually gives the team chasing a goal a lot of time and space…and opportunities!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:04 PM

A bit of psychology being applied there?

How many actual U23 players were there playing for us in the Wolves game. Surely they should be classified as 2nd team or reserve games.

And to paraphrase a certain very funny man ‘I wouldn’t want to be part of any approved list that wanted to include me on it’

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:07 PM

OP…would it have been any different had we played 4-4-2 or even 4-3-3? I don’t know – it would have been a different game. Different chances and different execution of the chances…

I could ask the same question. What if we played 4-4-2 and were still down 1-0 and had 17 shots on/off goal. Would have made any difference changing to 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 depending on your view point?

• ilovetoon8788

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:17 PM

No point talking about all kind of formation. There’s only 1 formation rafa will play and that’s 4231.

That formation is very dependent on a capable no. 10 and striker. If those 2 are shi* everything collapses. That’s the situation now with the useless perez and joselu who can’t hit a barn door now.

I blame Ashley for not releasing the money to rafa to buy the striker and no. 10 he badly needed.

Right now, we are God awful to watch as a footballing team.

• Jib

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:19 PM

Apologies for posting a link in Spanish
    I know some readers like them.
    This one from Chile tells how Robbie Fowler went
    round to Rafa’s house on Xmas day to pay his respects
    His family were in Spain for the holidays
    Rafa however was analysing the reds
    Boxing Day opponents on video
    Obsessive or what ?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:23 PM

Ibiza…at least fair is fair I suppose

• Ibizatoon

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:33 PM

Jesper…Doesn’t help us particularly now, but is fair enough.

Many thought nothing would come of it, so at least it shows a bit of balance.

• Tsunki

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:36 PM

Both Gayle and Joselu are now written off and can’t hit a barn door etc not long before “championship at best” comes along. Maybe some patience as a relatively new shape beds into the Prem, Joselu gets up to speed and starts connecting, and Gayle gets back to match fitness.

• Tsunki

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:36 PM

It gives me no joy to see the lad get a ban for his sly stamp. Yeah, yeah actually it does.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:37 PM

and balance is good…at least that makes it all a bit more transparent I suppose!

How’s the weather down in bikini bottom?

• Ibizatoon

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:37 PM

Pfftt to your patience!

Joking aside, I’m not sure we have an option, other than to have patience. Unless Rafa plays with no striker…

• Ibizatoon

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:39 PM

Jesper…Rules are fine (mostly), as long as they’re the same for everyone.

Weather is mainly really good still. A few light showers and clouds here and there, but it passes quickly

Now over to Tsunki with the traffic update.

• Jib

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:40 PM

Rather than retrospectively punishing the Israeli
    I would have preferred it if Marriner had carded
    Shane Duffy for his tackle from behnd on Joselu
    in the matches opening minutes

• Tsunki

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:44 PM

Roads are slow going into Chertsey and of course the Dartford crossing is blocked southbound as a lorry load of melted cheese has overturned….

• Krul To Be Kind

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:45 PM

Sorry repost, I didn’t move on

Jesper…

You were being Frank on your reply there, how did you know my name is Frank… this is too creepy…are you another stalker like tsunki?

Sorry… I couldn’t resist! ?

Op, on the 442… At first thought I would assume it would double your chances at spilt shots loose balls but would as many opportunities be created with less creative players? A good question for a debate!

• Tsunki

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:48 PM

I don’t think Rafa is panicking as much as some on here though. I think Joselu will start putting away these chances and once everyone becomes aware of where their team mates prefer to run I think the link up in the last third will improve and we will rely less on the set pieces to the big lad in the box. I also think Gayle when fit again will provide a good tactical switch for a strike force in certain games.

• Tsunki

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:50 PM

Krul – Howay man you know fine well I’m no stalker. And you really shouldn’t wear a purple t shirt with green shorts Frank it doesn’t suit you.

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:55 PM

Good to see action on Hemed. He’s in my bad books now. I’ll be watching him closely when he’s served his sentence. Keep careful track of your wellies Hemed….

• U.S Magpie

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:55 PM

I think as soon as Jossie gets one goal he will start believing and then go on a rampage, Liverpool’s defense is a little soft, they have the reverse issue to us. The have the strikers and we don’t, we have the defense and they don’t. If there was ever a time for Jossie to get the ball rolling it will be on Sunday at home against the Reds. But will Rafa risk Mitro to start, he’s more physical than all our strikers but sometimes that’s what gets him in the most trouble. Will be interesting to see who he starts up front this weekend.

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:57 PM

As for Peter Beardsley comparing Gayle to Cole. Let’s see Gayle put some biscuits in the basket before we get carried away Pedro. Gayle hasn’t done that well in the Prem in the past whereas Cole was fantabulous. That’s not much of a comparison. Get back to work Beardo….. Harrumph.

• Our Toon

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:00 PM

It’s still far to early to judge Joselu, Harry Kane for example had 27 shots and scored 2 goals before the West ham game at the weekend, he scored 2 in that game from around 10 shots and hit the post twice.

Not comparing Kane and Joselu as Harry is much better but making a point that all players miss chances. Joselu is getting in the right positions and goals will follow.

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:00 PM

Weather in the far west is perfect, absolutely perfect by the way. Low 20’s and sun every day. If you’re getting tired of showers, come to the west coast Ibiza. But come before November when all hell usually breaks loose.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:01 PM

Ibiza
    For me the issue is consistency and trial by tv. I would be interested to know (but not enough to do the research) if ever a retrospective red has been issued that wasn’t highlighted on tv. It seems to me tv are judge and jury. It seems that if a stamp is seen, then red; if it is brought up by tv (v brighton) the retrospective red; if it is ignored by tv (v huddesfield) then nothing. The brighton stamp was highlighted by sky, but ignored by MotD; had it not been a featured sky match (like huddesfield), then I strongly suspect no action would have been taken. The huddesfield match is a brilliant example, as we had a stamping and a karate kick to the head, both of which we later discover are red card offences. If it’s not a featured sky match, then it is up to MotD to decide, and they ignored both of these incidents, yet they took special time (not in the highlights package) to show us Mitro’s barge gone wrong, out of full context and declare him the devils spawn. It’s this level of inconsistency shown by tv, and as we seem to be victims more often than not, it leads to anger and theories of jornalistic conspiracy.

• Our Toon

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:01 PM

G2

Maybe that’s why Beardsley will never make it as a manager, Cole such better than Gayle in all aspects of his game, especially when it came to finishing.

• Our Toon

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:01 PM

Much not such

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:02 PM

A lot of you have expressed interest in the giraffe slippers I’ve been wearing recently. Very manly. It will be expensive as I’m using the latest microfiber technology. Right then, get in an orderly queue you lot….

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:04 PM

Spot on Our Toon. There is no comparison to be made there. Beardo has been in the magic mushrooms again I suspect.

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:14 PM

The upcoming matches will highlight our need for a striker yet again. There’s no excuse for spending 12M on a youngster who’s a winger when we’ve let this problem fester for years now. Mitro isn’t a one in two striker and can’t keep his head. Gayle isn’t a one in two striker in the Prem and can’t stay fit. Hoser Loo isn’t a one in two striker. Yet we spend money on kids who aren’t ready to play when we need consistency now. Foolish move once again Mike and Lee, you’ve exposed your stupidity as usual.

• Jib

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:16 PM

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:19 PM

Tsunki is definitely no stalker lads. I’ve been watching him from well planned hiding spots for weeks now….. wait just a minute…. He’s on the move lads! Got to run!!!

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:29 PM

Hmmm interesting. Tsunki went straight to the Hairy Pelican for a pint of grog and then a spot of shopping at Thongs R Us. Back on the bus again. I’ll keep you lot informed…..

• Toonces

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:29 PM

Chancel @ 25

The logical progression from this is you will see VAR sooner than later in the Premier League. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s implemented for next season. There is just too much on the line now financially for clubs to be on the wrong end of red cards that were called incorrectly during the match – either that should have been called but weren’t, or called but later rescinded. Thick back to Sunderland match during recent relegation season when Ref Mobby Baddely sent off Colo but the card was later rescinded after FA review. Too late. We go down to 10 men when we shouldn’t have in what would turn out to be a relegation 6 pointer. They have to get these calls right during the match, not after. This is true for all clubs. £100M+ is on the line.

In the end it is some small consolation to see Hemed get his ban, but the ref should have got it right in the game and he needs help to do that. Move the 4th official onto the pitch and have a two ref system – the game is too fast now for just one ref, and give them the help of the VAR.

• Toonces

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:31 PM

G2 @ 30

Interesting thing about Mitro is that in his last 10 or so PL starts his numbers are something like 6 goals and 2 assists in those 10 matches. Too bad he also has 2 red cards to mix in as well 🙂

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:39 PM

Yes his minutes played per goal is quite good as well Toonces mate. He can put them in but I’m not sure he’ll ever completely control his temper. Good teams can cover him with his lack of pace. Very frustrating player. He may come good. I hope so.

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:40 PM

I’ve got surveillance on BobbyBee as well lads. Beermonkey is giving me nightly reports. We’ll get to the bottom of this whole stalking thing shortly!

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:43 PM

I’m not seeing Belfast on here. He’s probably on his favourite blog yet again looking for my latest articles…..

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:45 PM

Well, Tsunki clearly can’t be a stalker. I’m sitting two seats behind him with my giraffe slippers on and he hasn’t even noticed…..