Justice Done – We Cannot Grumble

Brighton & Hove Albion’s Tomer Hemed has been banned for three games for stamping on the calf of Newcastle’s DeAndre Yedlin.

We compliment DeAndre for not rolling around in agony after the stamp as some (most) players would have done – but he got up and got on with the game.

And justice was done – and the FA made the correct decision – so we cannot grumble about that.

This is what DeAndre said after the match about the stamp:

“I thought he stamped on my calf but didn’t see what happened.

“Maybe it was accidental.”   “I was in the mix of things.”

“Whatever it was it’s not important.”

“We are disappointed but take the positives from today and look at what we did wrong.

The stamp was as obvious as Jonjo Shelvey’s stamp in the Spurs game and Aleksandar Mitrovic’s elbow in the West Ham game that got those players three game bans too.

Hemed’s stamp on Yedlin

But surprisingly Hemed has said he was not guilty of violent conduct.

Pull the other leg – it’s got bells on!

This is what Hamed said after he was banned for three games.

“I accept the decision against me but do not agree with it and I am devastated to miss three matches.

“I would never go out to injure a fellow professional on purpose, and those of my friends and team-mates who know me, know that this is not in my nature.

“I will use the time to get fitter, stronger and come back hungrier to score more goals for Brighton in the Premier League.”

Sometimes it’s best to just to fess up and get on with it, but he will be a big loss for Brighton in their next three games.

The stamp came with only three minutes to play so even if the referee had sent Hemed off it wouldn’t have mattered much to the result.

We would have preferred Tomer to have done it early in the first half – as long as the referee saw it.

🙂

• catchy in norway

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:19 AM

what about Mbembas kick in the head.

• Lindisfarne

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:25 AM

Job the Deceasist.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:30 AM

We can bitch all we like about injustices done on the pitch, it won’t get the points back or the game replayed.

• cyprus

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:46 AM

Personally, (as were the pundits – Keys:yes, Gray:no) I’m ‘stumped’. In football, as you know if you’ve played it, that can happen accidentally or on purpose. Anyway, he’s out three games, they will be our rivals till the end, so that can only be good. If they lose that Knockaert as well (he seems to get overexcited too), they’ll be even weaker.

• cyprus

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:51 AM

Anyway,
    There should be leeway with these bans: Mitrovic and this guy, one game. Mane four, etc. I guess this makes it simpler.

• cyprus

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:52 AM

Mitrovic: one half 😉

• martoon

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:07 AM

I have to say even with my black and white eyeballs I don’t think it was clear cut. The guy was trying to find his feet and, yes, may well have done it on purpose but it could equally have been an accident – these things look a lot worse in slow motion. I agree with Cyprus there should be a sliding scale for number of games depending on the severity of the offence.

• lochinvar

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:13 AM

Well actually we can grumble as can other teams in similar situations. There are three officials on the pitch and a fourth with TV monitors who seem to be able to advise the Ref when it suits them – such as ‘Mourinho has been a naught boy (again) please come over and smack his wrist and send him to the stand’

So these incidents should be dealt with at match level and a sending off soon changes the course of a game as we saw against Spurs.

TMO time

• The blogger formally known as OP

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:17 AM

Jfa

I noticed jib was being moderated earlier, it’s nice.

Maybe he threw a fit after I pointed out another clanger he posted yesterday.

• cyprus

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:20 PM

Loch,
    That’s why video reviewing will inevitably be introduced. Too much money, too much riding on honest or dishonest calls by a couple people. I used to referee squash games, no, not MA’s 😉 and I swear so many times it’s an approximate call.

• cyprus

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:23 PM

Martoon

That’s why I like your posting. You call it as you see it. I notice you sometimes agree or disagree with me, that’s cool 🙂

I try to do that myself. Ignore the poster’s name, judge the content, don’t just ride a wave. Think for yourself.

• martoon

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:32 PM

Cyprus – Cheers – yes disagreed with you the other day but agree today. I try to get along with everybody on the blog as I don’t see the point in arguing and getting upset as we don’t really know each other!
    I always smile when I see you posting because I still remember the poster who asked you which part of the world you lived in!!! 😀

• Ibizatoon

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:55 PM

Have seen a few mentions about Lascelles and a possible England call up.

For those interested in stats and power rankings (that’s ranking with an R people…) Sky have an article on which English players would be called up, if based on these figures.

Lascelles makes the bench.

• tenpointnine

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:09 PM

“The guy was trying to find his feet”

Sorry, but completely disagree. Hemed looked down, saw Yedlin’s leg, then looked up and deliberately stood on Yedlin’s leg as he walked away.

If you look down and see there is something at your feet that you shouldn’t stand on ( a crude example of this would be a dog turd!), you would keep looking down until you had put your foot down somewhere ‘safe’.

I think the protestations of Hemed and Chris Hughton are just embarassing. IMHO

• martoon

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:13 PM

Ibiza – interesting article and some good possibilities for my Fantasy Football team too 🙂
    I thought Catchy was a bit harsh saying Lascelles is a millions miles away – if he was picked, like the article, I wouldn’t play him but being in and around the training camp would be a good experience for him.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:21 PM

martoon…How’s your fantasy team doing? I haven’t bothered since I think it was the 15/16 season, as basically, I was rubbish 🙂

Catchy definitely isn’t a Lascelles fan, so that’s not really surprising.

I thought the interview he gave the other week was brilliant and very honest. He’s aware he still makes mistakes and that often he gets too focused on what the players around him are doing.

He’s young, determined and is self aware. Fantastic stuff.

I think he’s deserving of a call up, but like you, not sure he’d be a stater. On the other hand, for selfish reasons, I’d be more than happy for him not to be called up yet and let him keep his head down and master his craft with NUFC.

Now, what’s this nonsense about posters being nice to each other? What exactly do you think you’re up to! 🙂

• martoon

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:25 PM

tenpointnine – You could also argue if you are trying to stand on something you would look down so you can see where you are planting your feet and the fact he wasn’t looking down could make it an accident. Like I say you could argue either way but the most important opinion is the one of the panel of ex referees and they agreed with you. I’m just saying I don’t think it was as clear cut as, say, Shelvey’s – however I am quite happy that one of our rivals is without their main striker for 3 games!

• martoon

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:30 PM

Ibiza – I’ve got off to a terrible start (should never have picked Gayle!) and just about bottom of all the leagues I’m in. Just as well there is not a blog league this year because I’d probably be bottom of that too!

• The blogger formally known as OP

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:38 PM

Timing is everything!

I was meant to go a few months ago but was sent elsewhere, as of Monday I’ll be working at the Academy of Light…

Can’t wait to here the winging

• Ibizatoon

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:39 PM

martoon…I’ll be keeping an eye on you pushing your Gayle agenda from now on 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:39 PM

I was a bit surprised Abraham is doing so great…one or two seasons ago I thought we had a special player on our hands do to all the hype I heard about Armstrong and let alone I had never even heard of Abraham, but guess when we hype a player it’s probably in comparison to the other players we have…

…maybe that’s not what any NUFC fan wonna hear

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:40 PM

*wanna

• catchy in norway

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:43 PM

please don’t miss understand what i think about Lascelles.

i love his honesty, i love that he is saying these things that need to be said.

i just don’t think he has the talent to back up his thoughts, and while i know we all have an opinion, mine is, he is our 4th best CB at the club, last season, i think nearly everyone was in agreement that clarke was the better of the 2, i personally like Mbemba, and this new French CB ( cannot spell his name) :(, he looked very good too.

Ibiza

this is a professional game, there is no place for sentiment, i do not think anyone should be treated differently just because he is a nice guy,

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:46 PM

Catchy…being a nice guy does seem to get you a long way at Newcastle (among the fans that is), loyalty as well (sometimes confused with picking up a huge pay check) and definitely being a Geordie doesn’t seem to hurt as well 😉

• beermonkey

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:54 PM

Ibiza

If you look back when we signed laschelles he has already been training with the England first team when he was in the u21s
    They were looking to fast track him to the full squad

Catchy

Catchy did u ever linguine for Elgin I think that’s where we got
    Its a bit hard to judge on 20 mins of football and pre season

• Ibizatoon

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:57 PM

Catchy…I perhaps wasn’t clear in my post. All I meant with mentioning you is that you don’t rate his ability that highly. Wasn’t a crack at you.

The rest of the stuff was just me stating my opinion. I don’t think he’s a bad player and for me, he’s improving constantly, which put with those other things (honesty, hard working, etc) is a huge positive for me.

We could go down the line of can he be improved upon and the answer would be yes, however, based on what we’ve got? I’m delighted with the lad.

I do however take on board what you say. Ability wise, it’s been somewhat of a toss up between Lascelles and Clark. I do rate Mbemba highly and from what I know of Lejuene, we’ve got ourselves a decent CB (although I’m yet to be able to form a proper opinion myself).

I don’t feel we lose so much with his ability, that we don’t make up for with his leadership though. If someone else can pick up that slack, I wouldn’t mind Lascelles on the bench, but for me, he’s done more than enough to warrant his starting position.

Jesper & Catchy…I think what you’re saying is true for some fans, but not all. We see it on here all the time, whether the fan is from Newcastle or not. Different people favour different people for differing reasons.

Jesper…Not following what you mean about Abraham?

• Ibizatoon

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:01 PM

Beer..Is that right? I wasn’t aware.

You’d have thought he’s a definite contender then, given his good start to the season.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:09 PM

Beer…when you put it that way it just seems as though we have slowed his career down 😉 lol

• hibbit

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:10 PM

catchy

Lascelles played the last four months of last season with a double hernia problem which wouldn’t have helped his performances

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:12 PM

Ibiza…the power score you linked to had Abraham on the bench seeing as he apparently has found the back of the net twice from just three shots on target

• Ibizatoon

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:12 PM

Hibbit…Another good point.

Have to have a double hernia operated on myself soon. I don’t even do anything that physical for work and I find it restricting to say the least.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:14 PM

Ibiza…that’s from all that sitting mate 😉

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:19 PM

*bad nutrition cough cough and smoking cough cough

• Ibizatoon

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:19 PM

Jesper…I see. Didn’t go that far…knew none of our Strikers were in contention 🙂

2 goals from 3 shots. I’m saying nothing.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:20 PM

Jesper…Indeed. It’s a common cause of hernias….sitting 🙂

Also, you need to lay of the smokes mate. That’s a nasty sounding cough.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:23 PM

Ibiza… 😀

…you know it depends what you are doing sitting mate

• Ibizatoon

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:24 PM

Was just reading an article about Bayern meeting to discuss Ancelotti after the PSG defeat. One line stuck out.

“Sky sources understand Ancelotti is unlikely to be sacked on Thursday.”

Only to go back to the main page to see this:

Informative lot, those Sky sources.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:25 PM

Jesper…Very true. I don’t wanna know what you get up to sat on your chair.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:36 PM

Ibiza… haha

…I am not the one with a pending double hernia op

Well don’t let anyone tell ‘ya mate that Skysport cannot make up its mind