Newcastle Team Photo For Season Released – One Player Missing

The team photo for Newcastle United for this season has finally been released, and there are 26 players in the squad.

And as we looked through the players one player is missing – local lad Jack Colback.

Rafa has mentioned that Jack knew the score if he stayed at Newcastle this season.

And it seems the manager will leave Jack out in the cold until January rolls around when he can be sold or loaned out.

Jack annoyed Rafa when he refused to join the first team training during the summer to make the numbers up when some players were out.

Rafa will not have him part of the training presumably because his attitude is not right.

Newcastle United first team squad – 2017-2018

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Liverpool?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Newcastle have the NBC documentary on Newcastle that was shown over here before last week’s game with Brighton – there was one on Brighton too.

It shows Newcastle in very good light and especially our fans – a definite must watch!

Here it is.

Howay The Lads!!

• catchy in norway

Sep 28, 2017 at 4:44 PM

Tunski,

he is a defender, his main job is to stop them going in his end of the pitch, scoring at the other end is a bonus. i hold Lascelles responsible for at least 2 of our goals against , and i think he panicked last week v Brighton, he ran backwards towards our goal.

someone like terry was head shoulders above Lascelles at both ends of the pitch at the same age.

why would any manager tell a player to tell the world about a scoring technique? wouldn’t he just work on other ones and have more options instead of restricting his options, maybe i wouldn’t waste time on your other thoughts, think about clowns ? lol.

Essex

he has peaked , i’m still waiting for shola to kick on man.

• catchy in norway

Sep 28, 2017 at 4:44 PM

is it HBA?

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 28, 2017 at 5:00 PM

Not only no Jack, but no Gingers! I think someone need to report this to ‘KROOF’.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 28, 2017 at 5:05 PM

I’m with Catchy on the whole Lascelles thing. Has some good qualities as a captain, and good defensive attributes, but lacks the footballing intelligence to ever make a truly great defender. Hopefully he can improve on this, but it seems football intelligence isn’t really trained, but left to the gods.

• Jib

Sep 28, 2017 at 5:43 PM

Ron
    NBC broadcast that before the game v Brighton on Sunday
    Simon Bird (the guy Joe Kinnear called a c–t ) comes over very well

• Jib

Sep 28, 2017 at 5:46 PM

I prefer the NBC coverage to Sky’s

• Jib

Sep 28, 2017 at 6:00 PM

It’ll be interesting to see the Arsenal 3-5-2 formation vs BATE

• Ron Knee

Sep 28, 2017 at 6:09 PM

Jib

I don’t think Mike Ashley was mentioned once.

• Jib

Sep 28, 2017 at 6:12 PM

Ron
    Mike Who ?

• The blogger formally known as OP

Sep 28, 2017 at 6:14 PM

Ashley out

• Jib

Sep 28, 2017 at 6:16 PM

I was going to have a whinge about UEFA picking Polish officials for Arsenal’s game (Belarus is next door to Poland) but they have been OK
    Exquisite pass from Wilshire for Walcotts goal
    Some of that from Merino for Gayle / Perez /Joselu / Mitro would be great on Sunday

• GeordieTwo

Sep 28, 2017 at 6:27 PM

I haven’t seen enough of Lascelles at the Prem level to give him a rating. It’s a little early isn’t it lads? And you’re comparing him to John Terry, one of the best England defenders in the last 10-20 years. How about some other comparisons? I think he’s come along nicely, especially after the injury late last season. Let’s have a look at this again at the end of the season.

• Jib

Sep 28, 2017 at 6:54 PM

Har Har
    Birmingham City won the brummy derby
    Sunlun down among the dead men
    😀

• Markaccus

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:02 PM

G2

Agreed. Far too early to be either lauding a player as the next messiah, or writing them off into the abyss of abysmalism. I just hope that however Lascelles turns out, those who get it wrong admit it, and not twist things to suit. Discussions like this always bring me round to Dummet. I am not sure what he has to do to get people to accept that he is a really good defender. No matter how well he plays, somebody always manages to say he was sh1t.

• Clematis

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:23 PM

I don’t think it’s right, fair or anything, to compare Lascelles to John ‘Same shite haircut from birth’ Terry.

Christ, even I could have played centre half to a decent level in a Chelsea team facing one attacker against two centre halves.

Lascelles is a great player and captain. Maybe some folk just need to actually see him play at St James’ – rather than nowt or on a two-minute highlights reel – to appreciate what he brings to the team.

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:30 PM

Mark…I think the problem with a player like Dummett is that he offers nothing beside being able to defence okay…

…at PL level and football in general today a player need to offer the team more, if not we don’t create enough chances and we come under pressure.

There’s also the issue with a player that requires babysitting…when that’s the case then the player doing the babysitting cannot do his job and that effects other players and so on …

There’s also other attributes a defender has to be good at other than defending. Dummett is very limited I think. At least that’s my issue with the kid.

He tick the boxes though…a great lad, works hard, loyal and he’s a Georgie

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:31 PM

*defence = defend

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:32 PM

Lascelles is improving all the time I think…how far that will get him I don’t know!

• beermonkey

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:33 PM

jesper / ibiza

from earlier on lascelles
    sorry i was at work seem the convo is still on him

• Jib

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:36 PM

Them georgie’s are great folk
    Tblisi is a fine city
    Ha ha ha

• Markaccus

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:37 PM

Jesper

In my opinion, he is the most defensively sound left back we have. Idealy suited to blocking out a difficult end to a hard game. In the perfect world, we would have a Jordi Alba type attacking LB for 70 mins, and Dummet would come in for the last 20. In the absence of said attacking LB, Dummet is the next best option

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:37 PM

Beer…if that’s the case I am not sure it was such a great ide for Lascelles to join us mate 😉

• toontaff2

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:39 PM

Mark, a lot who watched Dummett, last season, rate him – especially Rafa!

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:40 PM

Mark…I think Dummett requires too much help in order to do his job and he doesn’t add anything going forward!

That’s hugely important in today’s game and seeing as we are not a possession team but play on the counter I would argue that it’s just as important as being defensively sound!

God lad though

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:40 PM

*Good

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:42 PM

Must have got the last couple of Burnley tickets mid afternoon, they’re all gone now.

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:42 PM

But I cannot speak from Rafa…usually he speaks for himself, but always good to have a mouth-piece

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:43 PM

Mark…it’s just my opinion, but I know you can appreciate that without the sly remarks others come with

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:44 PM

Jail…do you get to see the team on away game often?

• beermonkey

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:45 PM

jesper

have to say i thought it was a real step forward when we signed the pair of woodman and lascelles and loaned them back and i think we need to do more of it ( but only when we can compete with the likes of accrington stanley )

i dont think we were a bad side for him to join but more the managers we had and its the same for any of youngsters we have,
    i think he might have lost a year but under rafa he is clawing that back

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:48 PM

Beer…that’s probably true! It’s a good way to bring bright kids in from the lower divisions…

Just don’t understand Darlow has fallen so much from grace under Rafa?

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:49 PM

Jesper,
    First one this season, got to four last.

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:51 PM

Jail…do you work it in to your work schedule if you are going to that area to work or is it your free weekends?

• beermonkey

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:53 PM

jesper

seems unfair on him as he did well last season
    but i can see why rafa wants a keeper that can use the ball better

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:55 PM

Beer…understandably

But what is it that sets Elliott a part from Darlow…when I have watched the two I have always felt more safe with Darlow in the goal?

• martoon

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:59 PM

Catchy – comparing Lascelles to John Terry, one of the best defenders in the last 20 years, is very unfair. A fairer comparison would be to somebody like Harry Maguire or Michael Keane who are getting into the England squad. I’d say they have more Premiership experience but Lascelles is not far behind.
    Not a pop but as Clematis says if you actually see him play you see his reading of the game, positioning and organising of the defence. Yes he will make mistakes but the potential is there for all to see.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:59 PM

On me free weekends Jesper, I bring the kids a programme and ticket stub back to make up for my neglect.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 28, 2017 at 8:04 PM

I don’t think anyone is calling Lascelles a bad defender, some are just saying we have a better defender/s behind him on the bench. At least, that’s my thinking, that Lejueune/clark are both better all round defenders. For me Lascelles has good leadership qualities and that obviously adds to the team; he’s good in the tackle, good in the air, pretty fast for his size, puts in good blocks. This is what I mean by all the defensive attributes. It is his footballing intelligence and comfort on the ball, that I consider his weakness. By football intelligence, I mean the kinds of defensive positions to take up; when to hold the line; when to mark close; when to track runners. He is possibly the best centrback we have in these defender attributes, but third best in terms of broader game awareness in my view. It is this reasoning why people see Jonathon Woodgate and not Titus Bramble as a great newcastle defender. Before I get shot down, Lascelles is a far better defender than Titus. But Titus was big, strong, quick, good in the tackle, good in the air and tbf had quite a sweet long pass in his locker. But he would gift the opposition chances with poor passing and lacked the positional awareness I spoke of earlier.
    It may well be that the team performs best with Lascelles in, we don’t know yet; but I think the best pairing will include Lejeune and IMO be with Clark (no ‘e’ that time, thanks blogger whose name I forget). Time will tell.

• cyprus