Initial Comments From Rafa’s Press Conference – Lejeune Fit

Rafa Benitez has just completed his press conference this afternoon for the game against Liverpool at home on Sunday which has a 4:30 pm kickoff.

We have a chance to get our 4th win of the season in seven games if we can beat the Reds, but of course, it will not be easy against such a good side.

To win Newcastle must carry out Rafa’s game plan almost to perfection but it’s certainly possible.

That would be great, and it would also move us up the league table before the International break.

Rafa Benitez – at press conference

Here are some of the points Rafa has made this afternoon:

“It’s a special game for me. It will be emotional. At the same time, we will try our best and will try to win.”

“My family still lives on Merseyside and there are a lot of connections. I have to focus on Newcastle United.”

“The fans and the cities have a lot of similarities. The accent is hard – both the Scouse and Geordie accents… I’m very bad at both.”

“I have met Jurgen Klopp at UEFA coaches meetings. He is a great manager doing a good job. Hopefully, Liverpool FC play well after this game.”

“People say Liverpool are weak in defense but they are strong in attack. We need to be strong, be solid, don’t give them a chance to create.”

“We lost against Brighton and we have to change things quickly. We have to be ready for anything. It’s a long season.”

“Coutinho is a great player. One of my former players, very talented.”

“I have a good relationship with Klopp. We were in contact about the Wijnaldum transfer. He’s a great manager for Liverpool”

“Only Dummett and Haidara are injured – Lejuene is available.”

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Liverpool?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Personal note – I’ll be out for the rest of the day; getting MRI tests and a full body bone scan at the Rex Hospital in Raleigh.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:22 PM

Ed hope it all goes well for you at the hospital today.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:24 PM

I really hope we do beat them Sunday, two weeks of fretting is bl**dy orrible.

Rafa seems positive enough though.

• Ron Knee

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:30 PM

All the best, Ed!

• cyprus

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:33 PM

If it’s available, take a look at how Apollon played Everton. I know it’s like comparing apples and oranges, but they were compact in defense, pressed continually and broke in attack at lightning speed.

This from a team which is 7th in the local league.

Surely we can do the same.

• chicousa

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:48 PM

Good luck Ed!

• hibbit

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:55 PM

Ha back on !!!
    my ad blocker plus went to pot kept blocking me instead of the ad’s

good luck Ed stay strong

• lesh

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:30 PM

Charlie in the Gallowgate

Sky have scheduled Arsenal v Liverpool for 4pm Christmas Eve and quite understandably, the Liverpool fans have raised hell. Our fans’d have similar justification for objection were our game at West Ham rescheduled to Christmas Eve. Whether those reschedules go ahead is down to the Premier League which has the final say. But, there’s £11m a game at stake for the PL.

What happened to the days when Christmas period fixtures were or as near a possible local derbies?

• lesh

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:34 PM

hibbit

So, AdBlock’s blocking you? I hear it’s very hot on dubious content! 😉

You got AdBlock on your mobile phone and if so, how’d you get it on? My Windows phone tells me I can’t use AdB on it.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:36 PM

I was going to do West Ham on the 23rd, I don’t think it will sit well with ‘er indoors if it’s on the 24th, the 23rd is pushing it tbh.

• hibbit

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:39 PM

lesh
    sorry mate i’m no help i use a lap top !!

• Mindshaft

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:57 PM

Leah- think you are stuffed if you have a Windows phone- adb works perfectly on android and even ios- kin Microsoft are a bunch of kerunts

• Mindshaft

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:58 PM

Lesh even- adb works perfectly but my autocorrect is gash

• Oldgit1

Sep 29, 2017 at 4:18 PM

Good luck Ed, hope the scan goes well.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 29, 2017 at 4:25 PM

Spoof
    My guess on Colback is that it is to do with him refusing to go on loan/transfer. Rafa needed to get the wage bill down and wanted to sell/loan him, takers were found and deals agreed only for Colback to then scupper them. This is why he’s in the dog house IMO. If you want to stay in the NE and collect good money from the club you can do it in the U23 and slowly lose your standing in the game and your chance of another decent pay day. This way, maybe Mrs Colback, when confronted with the choice of gucci shoes/handbags or staying in the NE…….????????????

• Toonces

Sep 29, 2017 at 4:40 PM

Looking forward to the match on Sunday. Curious to see how we’ll do. I have a feeling that Rafa’s preferred 4-2-3-1 may look a lot like a 4-5-1 against Liverpool. He will be asking the wide mid-field players to really help the full backs against Salah and Mane. It will most certainly leave our one up top isolated. It will be interesting to see how quickly we can hit on the counter. I think Merino is a big part of this, and it looked to me last week that Brighton tried to man mark and shadow him. HWTL!

• Chancel be a fine thing

Sep 29, 2017 at 4:41 PM

Tsunki
    It is more likely he didn’t spot his dummy and so had to pull on his shirt, giving away a free kick in a dangerous area.

• Jib

Sep 29, 2017 at 4:51 PM

Colback was linked with a move to Boro (loan or transfer)
    Then it suddenly went dramatically quiet.

• Goommy

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:10 PM

All the best, Ed!

#FromThailandToon

• cyprus

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:10 PM

Keys and Gray just made their predictions. Both 1-3 🙁

• ilovetoon8788

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:14 PM

We will get thrashed if we pay anything like we did at Brighton. We created absolutely nothing and Brighton basically dictated play all game.

If we allow that to Liverpool we are finished.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:16 PM

Cyprus…Did you expect anything different? They can predict 0-10 for all I care 🙂

• sing in the corner

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:25 PM

Has anybody volunteered to help Gallowgate flags with their special display on Sunday? Saw something about anyo e interested meeting at the atrium early doors to find setting up..

• sing in the corner

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:26 PM

*Help set up

• Jib

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:43 PM

We need Matt Ritchie to be back on song
    on Sunday
    His parents live less than 60 miles from Brighton
    I wonder if he was given last Saturday night off to join them
    He’s normally pretty dedicated
    He spent his honeymoon playing for Scotland vs Qatar and Ireland

• sing in the corner

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:44 PM

We rely a lot on Ritchie maintaining his good form and high energy. He has few poor games for us.
    Brighton was one of his rare below par days, so was Huddersfield I think.
    Whatever it was, I hope he can get back to his level Sunday. We need so much to fall in our favour to get a result.
    But we can help ourselves by starting on the front foot, not letting Liverpool settle. We rarely do that though, favouring a steady first 20 – 30 to establish a base and frustrate the opposition.
    Whatever happens, It’s imperative we give Liverpool plenty to think about in their defensive third or we’ll be chasing shadows.

• The blogger formally known as OP

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:46 PM

I predict a magnificent victory for the boys in black n white, 2-0.

• U.S Magpie

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:57 PM

Good luck Ed, would be nice to get a win before the break. I hope Liverpool has one of those days when things go wrong and we have one of those days where we look and say, oh my god this reminds me of the Man U game from back in the day. Fingers crossed, touch wood ( no smart comments ) and horse shoe upright.

• Jib

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:02 PM

If Rafa has everyone at the top of their game
    on Sunday it should be a cracking game.
    Two good managers who totally respect
    each other – a throbbing atmosphere.
    This is what the PL is all about
    Watch and weep SMB’s

• Lindisfarne

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:04 PM

OP

What about those of us watching on non-colour tellies?!

• Lindisfarne

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:09 PM

US mag

That ManU game was when for the first time our regular creative midfielder was pushed forwards into the #10 role. Are you suggesting the same?
    It did make the team more solid and Cabaye was more able to influence our goal opportunities.

• The blogger formally known as OP

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:10 PM

Lindisfarne

The boys in black n white will be the ones thrashing those in red!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:12 PM

Lesh…I ude to have a Windows phone…I loves the tiles and the interface, but was more or less forced to change platform seeing as all the apps I used were either not available or existed to be available..,

ABplus in not allowed on a windows phone, no add blocker apps are 🙁

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:13 PM

Lindis…were you asking me earlier to stop stalking expat 😉 got to tell you mate it’s some expensive trips down under mate lol

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:14 PM

But if GT can stalk Tsunki then I shouldn’t really complain 😉

• GeordieTwo

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:31 PM

All the best Ed. I hope the scans are very positive for you. Thank you for running the blog all these years.

• GeordieTwo

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:32 PM

There is no truth to the rumours that I’ve been stalking Tsunki. I just happened to be in his neighborhood at all hours with a large pair of binoculars and a large audio antenna….. Harrumph!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:35 PM

GT…exactly! And I am just a frequent flyer…Harrumph

• giimps

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:35 PM

G2, just keeping an eye on his honey badger farm………just for quality purposes…..and who can blame you with so much at stake

• GeordieTwo

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:35 PM

This match is a big opportunity for us. I hope Rafa has the defense settled nicely. I wonder if Lejuene is coming in? Or should we play 3 CB’s and a very bold 3-5-2? I would like to have Lejuene, Clark, and Lascelles all on the pitch if we can manage it. Does Lejuene have enough pace to play LB if we play 4-4-2.

• GeordieTwo

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:36 PM

Aye giimps and his illegal budgie import business. He thinks I don’t know about that……