Rafa – My Contract Is Not An Issue – I Don’t Have A Problem with Mike

Rafa Benitez was asked yesterday about his contract and he wondered why that would be brought up.

All he was thinking of (as usual) was the next game.

But his subsequent comments must have given Newcastle fans hope that he is happy at Newcastle and could stay for the long term.

The main thing this season is to try to get some real success and it would help if we can beat Liverpool on Sunday.

And that’s all Rafa is concerned about at the moment.

The 3 men who run Newcastle United

Rafa and Mike Ashley have been talking since the summer transfer window and he says he has no problem with the owner.

This is some of what Rafa said yesterday as reported in the Northern Echo today:

“We’re not talking about my contract. My focus now is the next game. That’s it.”

“I don’t think we have to lose energy with the long term. It doesn’t change anything.”

“Why do we have to create that debate about something which doesn’t have an influence on the next game or the next six months?”

“I think it’s important to continue doing our jobs. I have a contract. It’s not an issue now, for me.”

“We have had some conversations internally. We’ll see what we do with them. But it’s not a big issue. I don’t have a problem with Mike.”

“The question is where we are, where we want to be and what we have to do to be there.”

“The contract is not an issue. It’s not something that will change my approach, or that I will be more comfortable if I sign a 20-year contract.” (please sign it!)

“It doesn’t change my approach for the next game.”

“There will be a time, maybe next month, maybe next week, maybe in two months when we will have another conversation and we will talk about that.”

“It’s not an issue – at the moment the relationship is fine because we don’t need to talk every day on the phone.”

“We don’t need to discuss what will happen in January.”

Those are good words from Rafa – now we have to beat Liverpool on Sunday afternoon in a game that is being shown live around the world.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Liverpool?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

What do you think about this?

• AncientC

Sep 30, 2017 at 9:25 AM

Seems like there is an exclamation mark missing.

• Spoof

Sep 30, 2017 at 9:25 AM

A very long winded way of saying no comment !!!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 30, 2017 at 9:36 AM

Ancient 😉 lol

…That on made my morning mate

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 30, 2017 at 9:36 AM

*the post on the last thread that is

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 30, 2017 at 9:39 AM

We’ll at least that’s something. He’s giving them another chance.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 30, 2017 at 9:41 AM

Jail…I still think the money on Murphy was a bit wasted this window…unless Rafa really thought we had twice the money this window something just doesn’t add up…

…they might as well have been speaking different languages at that meeting…and it seems Rafa it perfectly fine with Ashley (probably isn’t and he definitely wouldn’t say so)

A forward should have been the first on in the door…we know things didn’t go as planed and someone/body did screw up! Maybe Rafa just did screw up a little bit as well?

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 30, 2017 at 9:48 AM

Jesper,
    Townsend should have been here in January. Do you not think that Rafa knew Gayle had hamstring injuries and may not be as effective in the PL. Do you not think he knew that Mitro is a grade A moron, do you not think he realised the team might struggle for goals, Do you think he’d blow all his budget on a prospect had he have known he’d have been allowed 5M for a striker after that.

• toontaff2

Sep 30, 2017 at 9:49 AM

Jeremy, sorry your maths is out – not a surprise.
    Less posts than in the previous evening – doesn’t take 30 minutes, either – just check the home page!
    Glad it’s tickled the superblogger, though.
    I only check the one superblogger-easy to, for obvious reasons!

• Lindisfarne

Sep 30, 2017 at 9:52 AM

The idea of purchasing Murphy was correct, a quick player that can play on either wing. A foreign player would have been cheaper and may have been of better quality, whereas he needs further development and has been second to his brother in his career. We have no way of knowing how much or little was left in the transfer kitty, but I don’t like how it seems get political.

• Spoof

Sep 30, 2017 at 9:56 AM

jesper

In fairness to Murphy he hasn’t as yet had a chance to show what he can do, and unless Rafa changes his obvious bias for Atsu then that situation could continue, having said that about Atsu what we can’t forget is that by rights Murphy is a right winger and apart from the Brighton game where he didn’t turn up Ritchie has been irreplaceable in that position, I think it’s a bit unfair to be douybting Murphy.

• toontaff2

Sep 30, 2017 at 9:58 AM

Seriously, though, the actual amount of comments does indicate that with over 2000 votes on the win/draw/lose, indicating 1000’s of readers, there are less than 200 comments, the majority made by about half a dozen, daily, other than the meldoon madness on matchday when some are let oot, and the topics you refer to are driving posters away.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:01 AM

Jail…I am sure what Rafa thought to be perfectly honest!

He bought Gayle himself then knowing he wasn’t PL quality and in January last season we had already had a big outlay on players and promotion wasn’t a guarantee…

I don’t know why Townsend wasn’t brought in but I also seem to remember Rafa wanted that Everton player rumoured to cost £25M!

Lots of things seems to have gone wrong and just maybe Rafa screwed up a bit as well…would explain why he’s still here and seems reluctant to leave?

I still don’t trust Ashley for one minute, but I refuse to kid myself either. The coming January window will tell more about the truth I think

• Spoof

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:01 AM

toontaff

2000 votes could be misleading, with all the multiples having half a dozen or so names each, 2000 votes could be about 50 people lol

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:08 AM

Jesper,
    How many PL quality strikers were there available last summer that were willing to drop down a division for a year or more.
    What are you not prepared to kid yourself over?
    We’ve been saying for the last ten years about Ashleys intentions being judged in the next window., we know what they are. Even with an elite manager in charge he has proved beyond doubt in the last two windows his intentions.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:16 AM

Something is definitely driving posters away and causing others to post less…maybe one should ask them why?

• toontaff2

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:17 AM

Spoof, aye, that must be it!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:18 AM

Jail…I don’t mind we bought Gayle last summer…I still believe a new forward were the priority this window…though I don’t get the feeling it was…

…we tried to loan Abraham! That’s would have another signing like Murphy but just a loan…

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:19 AM

*it wasn’t

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:21 AM

Spoof…you can vote from any devises you have, phone, tablet or laptop…

…you can empty your cache and vote again! The sky’s the limit my friend!

Speaking of multiple ids…if people want to go to that length then what I just mentioned are peanuts

• toontaff2

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:33 AM

Ha hah ha ha! Try the mirror! Jesper, you can take the biscuit!
    Just an example – ‘Rafa’s mouthpiece’.
    Dummett’s a Welsh international, a local lad, a solid defender – not many would deny that – so I defend him, when he’s constantly, repetitively slated. It’s not ‘about you’ – so why the smarmy remarks?
    Same with the swearing, the name calling – I can swear like a trooper – but I refrain from so doing, on here and rightly, do not enjoy being sworn at. I have had ‘debate’ with many, on here, in 3 years, but like with Ancient, we debate in an adult fashion – I enjoy his humour, he has never offended me and hopefully I have not offended him. Nor does he make these daft accusations of multiple ID’s – I’m anonymous, already, and wonder if the multiple conspiracy theorists are the actual ones at it!
    Only one other poster took offence to me, though it transpired, as is often the case on here, the offending comments were made by other posters. Found it bizarre, but never got any form of apology, so still think the poster concerned and has issues and agendas. As do you.
    I will try to avoid you, but as I’ve been advised by other posters, you are forever arguing with people on here.
    I’m not pretending to be innocent -I do enjoy a bit of craic – I have clearly rattled your cage, so your determined to have the last say – as in today – so in the interests of some blog harmony, I’ll just avoid your numerous comments!

• toontaff2

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:36 AM

As an IT dinosaur, I have a brick phone, only use a computer, accessing the blog in free time, so I know if I have already voted, ED gives me a black mark!

• Mindshaft

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:42 AM

I’m always amazed that some on here take offence or insult others- it’s the internet and a football blog , we’re here because we all support the toon – clearly some aren’t lucky enough to be blessed with average intelligence but such is life.

Tough game tomorrow, we don’t have a natural goalscorer and I think Liverpool have then in abundance – can our defence hold out because despite the bindippers leaky defence I can’t see us scoring more than 1 if we’re lucky

• AncientC

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:42 AM

toontaff2, I not sure why you believe people deviating from topics is driving posters away. The more content, the better in my estimation.

My guess is that a lack of anything notable happening; generally leads to the blog posts dropping. It’s not like numbers spiking and dropping is anything new. Threes wins and 1 loss in the last 4 games isn’t much to complain about, or indeed shout about, after the inevitable loss came—hence numbers temporarily dropping off.

I cannot speak for others, but I have always found Jesper to be fairly polite. I cannot understand how anybody could take an issue with the guy, but that is my just my viewpoint.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:48 AM

I’ve always found toontaff 2 and toontaff 22 the type of lads who like a pint and a bit of craic. Never seen them in a spat with anyone until recently.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:56 AM

Toontaff…I am sure that is what you keep telling yourself…enjoy that notion just leave me out of your distorted perception of things…

I enjoy have a conversation with other people as long the it’s done with the respect others deserve…

If I don’t take a liking to you does it really surprise you? I mean common…

• AncientC

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:59 AM

Mark Hughes has acclaimed Kurt Zouma as a defender worth £30 to 40 million. There goes Stoke’s chances of getting a good deal for him—should Stoke be in a position to keep him after this season. What was Hughes thinking with that statement. Stoke apparently paid £7 million to take Zouma for all of 1 season, too, which Hughes thinks is a “snip”.

Here is hoping Hughes is never in line to be Newcastle manager.

• hibbit

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:05 AM

AncientC
    unless Stoke have a fixed prices deal already agreed to buy him at the end of the season .
    that could explain Hughes comments

• Spoof

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:08 AM

I find it rather humorous when two parties ask each other not to respond to their posts then they themselves do exactly what they asked the other not to do and respond themselves.

• AncientC

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:11 AM

hibbit, I don’t believe Stoke has a buy-option on Zouma, but even if they did, it wouldn’t be wise to be crowing about his value.

Can you imagine Benitez telling the press that Merino is a 20-30 million player. If he did, the Dortmund staff may start reviewing the deal on Merino.

I have never rated Hughes as a manager to be honest. I thought he did a bit of a number on QPR with his transfer deals.

• Spoof

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:12 AM

Ancient

Its a cunning plan, Hughes wants the Chelsea job and he’s trying to get as big a transfer kitty as he can for next summer !!!!!!!!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:16 AM

AncientC…likewise mate

Mindshaft…we are all still people even though it’s “just the internet” and a football blog…

About the game tomorrow the key is surely a sturdy defence and an efficient counter attack. I hope whoever is on top tomorrow is sharp because we need it…

• hibbit

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:19 AM

AncientC
    never ever thought Hughes was wise , it just he silly type of stunt he would pull .
    it’s the £7 million season loan fee that makes me think there could be a deal in place

• Mister Tuff

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:20 AM

spoof – another good one is the “I never read your posts” or “I always skip your posts” – post.
    The great blog put down – obviously suggesting the content is not worth reading. Then after a period one will complain about what the other has written – so they obviously are telling porkies and do in fact read the posts.

• Mister Tuff

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:24 AM

I think the blog has been very polite and civilised in the last week or so. I am still trying to get used to not receiving a whole lot of filthy gutter abuse and suggestions of being a homesexual. Long may it continue.

• Mister Tuff

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:25 AM

homesexual =homosexual.

• Mister Tuff

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:40 AM

Diary Dates.
    Thursday 5th October – England v Slovenia
    Sunday 8th October – Lithuania v England.

Ooops not forgetting
    Thursday 5th October – Full moon.
    I anticipate hearing about the latest adventures in the trilogy “Stalking Wars” featuring Sid Centipede (Borg Commander). Lots to look forward to.

• Spoof

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:42 AM

Ron Knee

Let’s hope so but how many times have we heard this !

• Ron Knee

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:48 AM

Spoof

78% want Ashley to sell up, according to the Chronicle’s poll.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:52 AM

Evening Ron…it’s difficult to believe Ashley would sell up and be gone completely mate