Rafa Explains Why It’s So Difficult To Win The Premier League

As Rafa prepares to meet his old club Liverpool this afternoon, he has reflected on just how difficult it is to win the Premier League.

And he believes the club with the most money has the best chance of winning it and we suppose that would be Manchester City and Manchester United these days.

It just so happens they are first and second in the league table at the moment.

Rafa made a great start at Liverpool and won the Champions League in his first season in that famous win in 2005 on penalties (3-2) against AC Milan in the Ataturk Olympic Stadium in Istanbul.

What an incredible comeback that was in the second half led by mercurial captain Steven Gerrard.

And at one time Rafa would have liked to have spent the rest of his career at Liverpool.

Rafa Benitez – the richest clubs tend to win the Premier League

But then the Reds got new American owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks in February 2007, and they ran the club purely as a business.

That’s much like Mike Ashley has done at Newcastle United.

Rafa has talked today about his time at Liverpool and how he was expected to win the Premier League as reported in the Guardian:

“When I arrived at Liverpool, the budget was £20M gross.”

“When I left it was £17M, but still people said I must win the title. Manchester United had around £5M more every year, but they said I must compete against them.”

“After United you had to compete with Chelsea and Arsenal. Now you have Manchester City and Tottenham, too.”

“But it’s always been similar. There are massive clubs with massive amounts of money and Liverpool were always a little bit behind.”

“But if you create a good team, a good atmosphere and work hard you can get there. You can win trophies.”

“We had 86 points one year and finished second behind United,”

“You can be Leicester and win the title because the three or four top teams were not performing but probably 90% of the time the title winners have the most money.”

“It’s quite difficult for Jurgen Klopp and Mauricio Pochettino.” “They have to build teams good enough to compensate for the difference.”

“They can win the title but it’s hard.”

“The only way is to be really good one year and hope two or three of the others have bad years at the same time.”

One in three fans believe we can pull off a shock win this afternoon.

That would be fabulous!

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Liverpool?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Bambams

Oct 1, 2017 at 8:59 AM

I am 47 now and would settle for the league cup or FA cup …..not fussed.

To win the premier league we would need Rafa AND a very ambitious owner/consortium

Always dreaming though !

• Ron Knee

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:16 AM

“… the presence of Keith Bishop, Ashley’s PR adviser, at Benítez’s media briefings in recent weeks could be interpreted as an unwelcome attempt to neuter his messages to the media.” (Grauniad)

Is this new news?

• beermonkey

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:18 AM

i dont like all this talk of ashley selling up
    it just leads to great disappointment when the bugger dont go

• beermonkey

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:21 AM

ron

its new to me

• Ron Knee

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:26 AM

beer

Me too.

• hibbit

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:27 AM

Ron

its new to me also
    he also never misses a home game !!

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:27 AM

Ron,
    What ever Rafa says gets reported anyway, can Bishop actually stop journos from asking certain questions.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:31 AM

Bishop is with all of us, at all times, at least in spirit.

That’s what I like to believe anyway. It’s comforting.

• Ron Knee

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:32 AM

hibbit/Jail

Rafa does off-the-record briefings. Could Louise Taylor be referring to these?

• Ron Knee

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:34 AM

These True Faith forums are worth a watch. Here’s the link again:

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:38 AM

Matchday!!!!!
    Staring at the clock all night was a killer but got there in the end 😆

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:43 AM

• Ibizatoon

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:52 AM

JJJOOOOOSSSSEEEEEE-LU-LU-LU!

Come on you one name wonder, get a goal!

“One name, what, who are you, Seal?”

• Ibizatoon

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:54 AM

Has anyone seen the picture that accompanies Sky’s headline

“Man City manager Pep Guardiola says Kevin De Bruyne ‘can do absolutely everything”

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:58 AM

Wish I had 40 minutes to watch that Ron, first ten were excellent. So all the stuff being written wasn’t journos shite stirring after all.

• bettyswallocks

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:01 AM

Jesper……… I really do hope you manage to get to see the game today. I think it’s important for you as a fan and also for the blog for many reasons.

My advice would be that if the missus starts complaining and giving you grief about watching the match, maybe citing that there are kids to attend to or domestic chores that need doing, you could always use the famous Bill Shankly quote that football is not a matter of life and death, it’s more important than that.

If she doesn’t accept this and continues to nag you then you could always just ignore her and watch the match anyway. That’s what I would do.

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:04 AM

Ibiza
    He can come and drive my drive then 😆

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:04 AM

** do my drive

• Ibizatoon

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:08 AM

Shire…As long as you’re willing to whisper sweet nothings in his ear, I’m sure that’d be fine.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:09 AM

Swallocks,
    I’m taking the kids out to pick conkers this morning, taking them and my parents out for lunch early afternoon then I’m getting right on it.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:10 AM

Shirebrook,
    In anticipation I jet washed my drive yesterday and fixed the shed roof.

• jane

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:18 AM

how Real Sociedad get on against Real Betis this morning maybe an indicator of the impact of Liverpool’s trip to Russia as Real Sociedad were in St Petersburg on Thursday.

• bettyswallocks

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:22 AM

Jail……. That’s a fair compromise and what any sensible fan should do.

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:23 AM

Jail,
    I jetwashed my drive yesterday too. Good minds think alike 🙂

• Ibizatoon

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:27 AM

Is “sensible fan” any different than a “real fan”?

Just keeping my do’s and dont’s list updated.

• Lindisfarne

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:36 AM

Free hit – No fear

• bettyswallocks

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:36 AM

Jail and Shirebrook……. It’s good forward thinking to do stuff like drive washing etc. during the build up to a match . These little gestures of domestic concern , even if not really sincere can be cashed in as reward points on match day.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:37 AM

Ibiza,
    The particular job I’m working on at the minute is one of the very few I’ve been on where you don’t get to nip away and catch at least the second half. It wouldn’t be very sensible if I packed the job in because of this, it is much more sensible to stay up late and watch MoTD later that night.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:41 AM

Jail…Are you saying there are places of work that don’t allow you to prioritize football? Scandalous, but not what I asked.

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:41 AM

Betty
    I even washed out lasses car too. Double matchday points I think.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:44 AM

Ibiza…I am not sure he likes it 😉 lol

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:44 AM

Ibiza.
    What I’m saying is that you don’t have to rap your job to be a real fan.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:46 AM

Ibiza.
    It is almost a violation of my human rights but it pays the bills.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:51 AM

Jail…Not sure anyone was talking about their “jobs” until your previous comment. More household commitments (for some bizarre reason).

My question still hasn’t been answered though. Which is fine.

Jesper…I don’t find it amusing tbh. The whole thing is beyond pathetic. Mind, if it isn’t bothering you, why let it bother me.

• bettyswallocks

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:58 AM

Ibiza……. A sensible fan is a fan that uses cunning and forward planning to make sure he is in position to watch the match despite any circumstances that might jeopardise the event.

A real fan is one who wouldn’t dream of even discussing the possibility that something might interfere with his watching of said match.

• AncientC

Oct 1, 2017 at 11:15 AM

I have to say, I will be fairly confident if I see Firmino starting—he needs a lot of chances to score, and he will not get many against a Benitez side.

• bettyswallocks

Oct 1, 2017 at 11:27 AM

Jail……. I noticed at comment 20 that you didn’t mention if your wife was accompanying you and the kids for lunch. I then realised that she was probably staying home to make sure the fridge is well stocked with beer and that half time nibbles are prepared well in advance.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 1, 2017 at 11:35 AM

Swallocks,
    Nope she’s coming and I will be in attendance at SJP this afternoon.

• Billy Whitehursts V sign

Oct 1, 2017 at 11:47 AM

This is definitely one of the 12 bonus games of the season. We have no right to beat any of the top 6. Someone called it a free hit earlier, they are dead right. During the season we may win one and draw one, anything else is a bonus. No reason why it cant be today tho!

Think I would try something a bit different, reckon there only real weakness is at right back, hence….

Elliot
    Yedlin lascelles clark mbemba
    Ritchie merino hayden shelvey gayle
    Joselu