Here’s Rafa Benitez’ Reaction To 1-1 Draw Against Reds

Rafa Benitez seemed quite pleased with the Newcastle performance yesterday but like the perfectionist he is Rafa also knows we could have won the game if we had been more composed in front of goal.

Mo Diame had a great chance to score 90 seconds into stoppage time but didn’t see the chance early enough from a corner, and his shot was then partially blocked before being saved by the goalkeeper.

If Mo had scored (in fairness he had only just come on), it would have brought the house down and provided more woe for Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp, who was not pleased with the 1-1 draw.

Coutinho fires home a brilliant goal for Liverpool

His Liverpool side again squandered chances and their defense is not the strongest in the Premier League by any means.

This is some of what Rafa said after the game as reported in the Chronicle:

“I will not say that because I was not very happy with the results against Huddersfield and Brighton, I think we deserved more.”

“So, in this case, you play against a top side which is creating a lot of chances against everyone.”

“To get a point at home is not the best, but against a good team like Liverpool, I think you have to be happy.”

“Obviously it’s different because they had the possession and we had to play on the counter-attack.”

“But we could improve a little bit our counter-attack and maybe we would be talking about something different. But at the same time, you play against a very good team.”

“They were asking me before if we didn’t know that Coutinho shoots from outside the penalty area – yes, we knew.”

“But Mane and Sturridge and Firmino and Solanke and everyone are very dangerous, so to stop all of them at the same time is almost impossible.”

“The lads did a great job.”

“It’s a pity that with a little bit more composure on the ball, maybe we could have scored another goal.”

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Liverpool?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

It was a good point for us, and now we need four wins in our upcoming games at Southampton, at home to Crystal Palace, at Burnley and at home to Bournemouth.

Four wins in those games would see us all flying high, and they are all winnable.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Liverpool?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• hibbit

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:30 AM

i know the blogs so called experts continue to breakdown our players performances and Rafa’s every decision.
    But i took great pleasure out of our performance yesterday we all know we don’t have team of world beaters and upgrades are needed but we have players who want to be here and are proud to wear the shirt
    Rafa is doing a great job with the resources he has available under a very difficult regime

101% for Rafa and the boys

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:41 AM

Bang on the money there Hibbit mate. Couldn’t have put it better myself.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:49 AM

hibbit,
    I got back in last night and started to read back but then skipped to the next post as I couldn’t stomach it. The same half a dozen posters you get every match day slaying everyone and everything. ilovetoon98765 or what ever he’s called predicting 5-0 drubbings, absolute joker.
    Jiblets,
    You don’t seem happy with the possibility of a sale. What a crying shame if Mikey sold up on us never to be heard of again in these parts.

• Mindshaft

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:51 AM

Agreed – we know we have a generally limited squad of players compared to the top six but Rafa has us set up to not concede and the players all know the jobs he wants them to carry out.
    I can’t remember when I’ve seen us so string defensively – we have the best goal difference outside top 6 (equal with Liverpool ) , think we’ll easily avoid relegation and be mid table come end of season

• lochinvar

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:57 AM

This is for Amanda – May all your investments be Wise ones ( but not Denis )

UpToon girl

Everyone’s buzzing and we drew !

• AncientC

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:58 AM

Well, well. I see Jib is getting rather anxious with all of these Amanda Staveley rumours, seeing fit to refute them out-of-hand. It will be Jib’s worst day since Thatcher was usurped by Major—should Ashley be moving on.

• Magic Merino

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:59 AM

Thought we defended very well yesterday even though Clark had an off day and Manquillo was our weak link with Atsu not supporting enough. I think the Merino/Shelvery partnership worked really well, each time we broke we looked like we had the ability to pass forward, something we clearly lacked with Colback in the team.

• beermonkey

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:02 AM

A draw with fool and a I will say an out side chance of the club being sold

You can’t help but goto work with a smile

• toontaff2

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:12 AM

Even Charlie hasn’t been on, with his report! Must have forgotten his notepad. Dennis twice back, one positive.
    Honestly, usually enjoyed the blog over the 3 years I’ve visited, but it is not adding much to my enjoyment of supporting and watching the Toon. Too many moaners, too many repetitive ‘discussions’. Clearly not just me – the low numbers of commenters, even on matchday, tell a tale. And most of those matchday crew are complete bananas!
    Apparently, despite the great atmosphere in the Gallowgate, singing section + Strawberry corner, flags and all, some fans are upset by the new drum!! So, last time banging my drum.

• Jib

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:13 AM

Contrary to popular opinion I’ve never been
    that bothered by the ownership of the club.
    There are certain Gulf states whose human
    rights abuses make Ashley look like a saint
    I would have reservations about them owning us
    But in the main I’m not that fussed who owns us.
    As long as it’s not an incompetent berk like Fat Freddy
    (being dead doesn’t clear him of that charge)
    I’d prefer a Brit of course but hey ho
    as Mick said

• toontaff2

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:20 AM

‘Common’ Wales. LOL. Daft lycra clad loon!
    Jeremy’ll be in his element, this coming fortnight – JIB, 2+2 is clearly a toughie, for some!

• beermonkey

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:21 AM

southampton a
    palace h
    burnley a
    bournmouth h

takes us to nov 4th
    The way we are playing there are points to be had in those games we could have 20 25 points by Xmas

• magpie6699

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:22 AM

Don’t get some of the vitriol on other sites about Perez yesterday. Not his greatest game and I thought Yedlin was terrific – best game I’ve seen him play. As for Perez, I would score him as follows: attacking penetration 2/10 (but nobody got much above 4/10 yesterday – not one of those games), game impact 5/10, effort 9/10. He covered a lot of ground trying to get his foot in and to be an outlet. I saw a very neat header that should have set Atsu away if he hadn’t back-tracked for some reason when he got the ball, a clever flick over an opponent followed by a neat pass, two runs down the right wing near the end which brought free-kicks (why no bookings?) that gave us respite and a chance to attack and an unsuccessful attempt to chip the keeper from 40 yards. He’s not the best but to say he goes “absent” or doesn’t try is rubbish. The worst player yesterday was Merino who seemed to keep losing the ball – and I really rate him, just not his day. Was Gayle an improvement when he came on? I don’t think so. Mitrovitch – does he always put in maximum effort? Diame? Give the lad a break!

• Jib

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:22 AM

Magic M
    I wonder – until Dummett is back to full
    fitness – whether Clark as LB with Lejeune
    in the centre would be an option ?

• expatmag

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:23 AM

ANCIENT @ 6

Typical JIB. Pretends to be the font of all knowledge but knows sweet FA.

His ignorance is bliss.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:25 AM

magpie,
    Mitrovich clearly cannot be trusted.

• expatmag

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:30 AM

I will predict this.

Keep playing the way he is and huge bids will be coming in during January for Lascelles.

I bet klopp is already readying a bid

• beermonkey

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:33 AM

Jail

Whlist mitro can be an idiot at times he is a marked man everything does will be watched
    He will never get the benefit of the doubt

Rafa can’t rely on him

• beermonkey

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:35 AM

Expat

We won’t sell tell he has had a debut for England the price will be higher

Did he sign his new deal and is there a big release clause in it

Maybe some1 should ask rednapp

• Blaydon-Toon

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:38 AM

Morning – absolutely delighted with a hard fought point ! Think we limited them to few clear cut chances apart from clarks mistake !! The usual suspects get hammered on here week in week out Perez Manquilo seem to get the brunt of it – just support our team for those who see only the bad points in players Manquilo saved us at the death by tracking Ox something he has been slated for not doing in the past … This result has made my week as I have so many close friends and family members who support the bin dippers

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:39 AM

Toontaff
    So your the one with the drum lol. Adds to the atmosphere. 🙂

• lesh

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:45 AM

Ancient

C’mon now, go easy on Jiblets – he’s only trying to keep our feet on the ground and not get worked up about Ms Stavelely being at the match with her fella – like Jib, good friends of Dalglish. Do Liverpool’s former managers and players normally attend away matches in such numbers?

However, Jiblets has friends in high places and making jest of his connections to the nasty party won’t affect him at all – after all, the Maybot has asked him with keeping mischief makers in their various boxes. However, we can rest assured that all will be well when his very good friend and confidante BoJo takes the helm – Jib’ll keep him right as he knows everything about anything!

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:49 AM

lesh,
    In a way Rafa is the worst thing that has ever happened to us as he has given us hope that things could be better, who is worse for us Jiblets, KK or Rafa?

• beermonkey

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:54 AM

Jail

I still chuckle and shake my head when that’s bought up

• Tsunki

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:03 AM

Worst thing that ever happened to this club – the dastardly Keegan (clearly in league with Lucifer) falsely elevating the hopes of the witless cloth-capped rabble/mob/horde….with his aspirational foitballing ambition. It has been a toxic legacy indeed 🙂

• lesh

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:04 AM

Jail

Go easy on Jib, he has a lot on his plate at the moment dealing with unrest at Manchester and Barcelona let alone managing expectations at SJP.

• Reilly

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:04 AM

That comment was straight out the makem play book.

• ballerfan2

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:04 AM

Magpie 6699 – well you and I were obviously watching the same game yesterday. I have loved watching Merino so far but yesterday he was very poor by his usual standards – yet he never hid or stopped working. The same goes for Perez. To say he goes missing is a joke. Just ask the ‘pool players. He was constantly in their face, denying them the opportunity to play their passes at their pace. It is true that I can’t remember the last time he truly excited as a forward threat but Rafa obviously is fully aware of his value to his team ethic and that is what made that result possible yesterday.

• Tsunki

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:05 AM

For Jib perhaps a wistful chorus of “Every Day Hurts” by Sad Café….

I saw the lamp light from your window
    I didn’t think you were home, sitting there all alone
    So I came up to your room to ask you why
    Why did you hurt me so?
    Why did you have to go, away?
    I never wanted anything in my life
    Not until I met you
    I thought you’d see me through
    All the bad days that I’ve had before I met you
    Something in the past, never thought it couldn’t last, forever
    There’s one thing I can say, everyday, how I miss you, oh oh
    Every day that I’m without you hurts just a little bit more than
    Than I’ve ever been hurt before
    Every day that I’m without you hurts just a little bit more….

• Tsunki

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:08 AM

Lesh I think Jib also has his hands full translating an arable technique letter from ancient Akkadian into the Macedonian Turk dialect….it’s a busy life..

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:11 AM

It was so much better when we could look around that old corrugated shed and genuinely say we are shite, if only Keegan hadn’t of came along giving today’s youngsters and next generation of supporters hopes of lifting a cup, they’d all be happy with their trips to Burton and Preston and we’d have none of this talk about Ashleys lack of ambition, in fact we’d be grateful he was here.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:13 AM

I wonder what Mikey, or more importantly Jiblets thought about that huge flag written in Spanish, spitting feathers I’d say.

• catchy in norway

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:26 AM

Lee charver must be very worried right now, i think he will be first out the door if we get new owners in.

• hibbit

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:31 AM

catchy in norway @31

that would be a very good move closely followed by Bishop and Barnes

• Ron Knee

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:45 AM

Here’s the full match:

Hope it isn’t blocked for you in the UK!

• magpie6699

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:55 AM

Some posts remind me of the book / film “Fever Pitch” about an Arsenal fan: ” I can cope with the despair, it’s the hope I can’t stand!”

• Billy Whitehursts V sign

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:03 AM

That hoped for “warm fuzzy feeling” I was wittering on about yesterday is thankfully firmly in place.
    It wasnt a win but it was still a good game to watch, tense and enthralling. May have lacked quality (apart from the obvious from Coutinho) yet it certainly kept me entertained.
    It’s a real pleasure to watch 11 lads give everything. There was a direct contrast yesterday with the recent dark days in Wiji still just strolling about influencing nowt.
    These lads have their limitations but graft isnt one of them and its great to be able to have some real pride in their efforts.

• Tsunki

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:05 AM

The “Devil You Know” brigade will be monitoring events feverishly with fingernails bitten to the quick, anticipating the arrival of an opportunist asset-stripper who fires everyone, gets a takeaway shop owner to manage affairs and leads us quietly into the Unibond Era.

• Australian Pie

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:22 AM

Thought the game was solid. Agree Merino looked a bit off getting caught on the ball but actually really enjoyed his partnership with shelvey.
    I think we keep persevering with Joselu, his play really helps the 11 out same with Perez, just wish both were a bit more prolific.
    Lascelles has been immense for us so far. So crappy having the international break now

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:24 AM

Toontaff
    Sorry to say No report – the first home game I have missed in five years – Had to go to a family wedding do in Scotland. Seen bits of the first half at the do and MOD last night where you cannot really judge a game from – Gallowgate End looked great with the flags and atmosphere.

What I saw they were under the cosh – defending desperately at times bad finishing by Liverpool who could have been out of sight but this TOON team is different we stuck at the task heads did not go down and got a well-deserved point. Thought Yedlin looked decent but was left exposed to many times when Liverpool attacked down the left. Clark did not have one of his better games and Joselu struggled to hold the ball up and bring players into the game – still stuck to the task and got lucky with his goal.

Was Mbemba injured or was he dropped