Rafa’s Man Management In Action To Improve This Talented Player

Rafa Benitez kept Joselu in the team yesterday and you can tell why the manager wants to do that because the Spanish striker is a good technical player who leads the line well and offers a physical presence up front.

One of the weaknesses of his game is that he doesn’t score a lot of goals but he scored the equalizer yesterday and that should give him a lot of confidence.

He was delighted to score again for the Magpies.

It was a little bit lucky as he ran onto a brilliant through ball from Jonjo Shelvey and Joel Matip tried to clear the ball but it hit Joselu’s shin and went into the back of the net.

Joselu celebrates after scoring

We’ll take them however they come and that’s two goals in seven games for Joselu which isn’t too bad at all!

This is what Rafa said after the game when asked about Joselu, as reported in the Chronicle:

“I told him before that he didn’t need to be worrying about missing opportunities or not.”

“It’s just to be sure that he continues working hard for the team, winning the ball in the air, holding the ball, linking well with the midfielders and Ayoze.”

“And then if he has a chance, if he can score, fine, that is good.”

“All the hard work he is doing at the same time as scoring goals, what else can you ask of a striker?”

There’s Rafa’s man-management in action right there.; the 27-year-old does a good job up front when he plays – if only he can sharpen up his scoring he would be very good.

The 27-year-old striker does a good job up front when he plays – if only he can sharpen up his scoring he would be very good.

And it looks like he’s working hard in training with Rafa to do just that.

The fans like him because he’s such an honest player.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Liverpool?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Mindshaft

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:43 AM

Joselu didn’t have a great game but he needs a proper number 10 working with him, I don’t mind Perez and he puts a lot if effort in following Rafas tactics but he’s clearly not a number 10

• toontaff2

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:45 AM

Ron, you do realise that, here in the UK, these dodgy streams/links/sites are illegal? Not that I bother checking/trying now, but Virgin block them all, anyway.
    Guess it was for the benefit of those superbloggers who were too busy with the family Sunday roast? On that note, I’d like to apologise for the nasty aftertaste! LOL. 😆

• EllaGuru

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:49 AM

I doubt it even crossed Rafa’s mind to start with Mitro on Sunday. It was always going to be Joselu. He works hard and is technically better than Mitro. I don’t think it was his best game for us, as the ball did not stick as much as it did in his first few games, which put us under a bit of pressure. That could of course be due to distribution. I hope the goal will give him the confidence boost he needs. I reckon we could have him on double figures by the end of the season, which would be enough.

Perez? The moment for me was when we pulled out of the that 50/50 with the ball in the air, with about 15mins to go. At this point, I really feel that the No 10 role is the weak point. 1 assist and no goals in 7 games is just not good enough.

• Tsunki

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:51 AM

Toontaff – on the subject of not realising you do realise this is not an exclusively adult site? Not wanting to be pious but it strikes me as odd how the necessity for bad language drives posters to scramble words to get around Eds profanity filters. Perhaps one of the theories for posters staying away is because their mam won’t let them! 🙂

• toontaff2

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:52 AM

Well, enjoyed the atmosphere and the point. And the singing section’s post-match efforts – ‘F*** Sky Sports’ and ‘Graeme Souness is a w**ker, is a wan**er!’ LOL! Smiley face. Bet Sky used their mic blockers for those.
    Luckily, Liverpool also have forwards who struggle to hit barn doors – just they have paid far more, for them!
    Excellent effort, all the team – shame the usual suspects have to slate them – get a grip, you dummies! A point against a team who have individual players worth more than our whole team and we could have even won it, had Diame only heavy touched/mis-controlled it into the net- the bugger picked a fine time to demonstrate his ability and excellent first touch!

• The blogger formally known as OP

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:52 AM

Has that Amanda lassie bought the club yet?

• Jib

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:53 AM

Loch

Amanda Staveley with her Iranian husband Mehrdad Ghodoussi

Nah just another couple of frustrated Liverpool away fans

• Tsunki

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:54 AM

OP she’s the fixer not the buyer isn’t she?

• The blogger formally known as OP

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:56 AM

Tsunki

I just know lasses are good at spending other people’s money, or maybe it’s just wives and girlfriends

• toontaff2

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:57 AM

Drat! Nearly forgot to heart myself!
    Tsunki – I do realise, but considering the faux outrage crew – I am only using the approved words – Jester and his crew showed me the error of my ways, in avoiding such language! 🙄
    It did offend my granny, like! LOL!

• catchy in norway

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:57 AM

joselu was slow lol

• toontaff2

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:00 AM

Anyway, #real life thingies to attend to!
    A big international break for me and my fellow sheepshaggers! Especially, if Gareth’s calf is still strained.
    Glad the appearance of the blond lass with the ‘gorilla’ by her side – her husband!!!! tut, tut – means there are some financials and conspiracies to discuss, to keep the place ticking over.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:07 AM

Morning lads!

A well fought out result yesterday…that was definitely a point gained!

I hope those who went to SJP had a great time…

Something tells me it’s going to be a slow morning on here…well enjoy

• sing in the corner

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:14 AM

Joselu’s scored a lucky goal? Show me a striker who hasn’t.
    There’s a saying that goes something like ‘I’d rather be lucky than good’.
    In the paper, and online stats, it says goal. 10 points, 9th position. It’s all gravy so far. And that’s 2 in 6 starts for Joselu isn’t it? He had one chance, scored one goal.
    Great point, great battling performance, fair result.