DeAndre Yedlin Talks About Rafa Benitez And Newcastle In America

There’s a good report in Soccer America today about our American right-back DeAndre Yedlin who has made a good start to the season, and we thought he had one of his best games for Newcastle on Sunday against Liverpool.

Certainly, the NBC commentators thought he was outstanding in the game against the Reds.

DeAndre is with the American squad for the upcoming World Cup games, and he’s one of their best players playing in Europe.

There is, therefore, a lot of interest in the player – especially now he plays for world-class Rafa Benitez at Newcastle.

Yedlin has turned out to be an excellent £5M buy for us from Tottenham, and certainly, he looks a much better player than the one who arrived 15 months ago from the north London club after a season on loan at Sunderland.

DeAndre Yedlin challenges Coutinho on Sunday

This is what the 24-year-old Newcastle right-back has told Soccer America:

“It is not easy to stay up and watch the national team on TV due to the time difference when you have training the next day.”

“You want to help, you have to put your faith in these guys that they can get the job done. I am honored to be back here.”

“I’m pretty close to full fitness, as close as I can be, if I’m not, probably something is wrong with me.”

“I’ve always been a pretty positive person, definitely getting mentally stronger and stronger.”

“Being out so long made me hungrier to get back. I am ever more focused than I was before. I feel stronger tactically.”

“When I wasn’t able to run, I watched a lot of film and a lot of games.”

“Rafa preaches pretty much the same principles no matter who is on the field.”

“The good thing about our team is that it is young and hungry so everyone has bought into his game plan. And it has showed with the results.”

“You have a little bit more defensive responsibilities playing in a back four helping the center-back next to you.”

“As a wing-back, you can be more aggressive when you get the ball. But you might not have help out there and be pretty isolated, so you have to be good on your own.”

Yedlin seems a very happy camper at the moment and indeed his form this season is outstanding, and he looks a player with the class to make the step up to the Premier League.

He has Spanish U21 International Javier Manquillo and also veteran Jesus Gamez fighting it out with him for the starting right-back position at Newcastle United this season.

• AncientC

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:15 AM

All these cautious tales about new owners are painful reading, especially when assets are brought up *cough* Ashley.

Could Staveley or any of her investors/backers really come in and do worse than Ashley.

New owner(s) are not going to come in to starve the cows while milking every last drop out of them. That was Ashley’s modus operandi.

The club has potential to be grown on an international level. Expanding the brand is where the money is at. You don’t make money from wringing the towel dry.

• AncientC

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:22 AM

“Her assets management company has so far made over £2 billion in commissions which puts it on a par with Ashley.”

Actually, those reported numbers would far exceed Ashley. Ashley’s turnover is billions, but his profit is in the low-ball millions. I doubt Ashley has ever came close to making a clear £2 billion.

• one fine day

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:53 AM

Ancient ,
    If ash had two billion just imagine the size of his crb with all that wallpaper .:)

• AncientC

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Bring on Matriarch Staveley. The breaker of chains and yokes.

• Spoof

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:34 AM

Ancient

I was saying the same yesterday, if Stavely or a Stavely lead consortium did take over none of us would know how it would pan out, however with our current looking at cup runs as being a nuisance and the strong dislike of europe which he gained when we were there with him then whst can we lose, for me nothing so i can’t understand the csution either.

• lesh

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:02 AM

Jib (posted on the previous thread)

jesperfuglsang – capt’n awesome of the lemon crew
    Jan 25, 2015 at 2:47 PM

Lesh… We need to infiltrate Fatty’s organization and bring it down from within’

Jib, unlike you, I don’t have a PA to keep track of the drive I post and thus haven’t a clue what you’re talking about. Anyway, I suspect the term you’re referring to in your comment is interior entrism as advocated by Lev Davidovich Bronstein.

• lesh

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:03 AM

* drive = drivel.

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:09 AM

lesh…what is Jib now on about?

• lesh

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:13 AM

Jesper, like you I don’t have a clue what Jib’s talking about. Come to think of it, Jib often doesn’t know what he’s on about!

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:17 AM

giimps….Ashley is definitely not a “good chap” and we have probably not seen everything yet…but I am not sure I would call him unethical or even have in his the same category as some of the other PL owners…

My biggest problem with his ownership are:

a) he clearly has no ambition for us

b) he’s using us as to advertise for his tacky sweat shop

c) he makes a mockery of Newcastle legends such as KK and Shearer just to name a few

d) he doesn’t employ competent ppl rather the contrary

I would love new ownership, but I don’t want to go through another MA or what could be worse and definitely don’t want to be another Chelsea and Citeh or again something worse. I am not saying Amanda Staveley or who she represents are such

• Jib

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:19 AM

Apparently because of problems with Atlético Madrid’s
    new stadium – the estadio Wanda Metropolitano – there
    will be no away tickets available for their fixture on
    the evening of Saturday 14th October vs Barcelona

and the band played

“Believe It If You Will ”

😀

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:20 AM

lesh…I am not pro zero hours, but I still don’t find it unetinical

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:21 AM

lesh…Jib likes to trawl thought old posts and to see if he can steer up some controversy

• ITUNDERASHELL

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:34 AM

Do you want to know why Ashley wants out of Newcastle United?

Read this article about the HMRC bust of Newcastle United and West Ham United and reference to Demba Ba although Moussa Sissoko is also involved.

Ok you are following this so far, now checkout company directors associated with Ba and Sissoko

For your information, Barbara Kahan is a major boiler room operator stealing £billions linked to 788-790 Finchley Road and currently operating out of Winnington House, 2 Woodberry Grove, North Finchley. London, NE12 0DR

• Spoof

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:39 AM

jesper

Zero hours means you can’t get a loan so obviously a mortgage is our of the question, some of these countries don’t have welfare, its basically slave labour, the man is undoubtedly unethical, as long as he gets want he wants he doesn’t care, his working establishments are unhealthy, he has been told that he has got to improve them, workers have rights to certain conditions, he has been told that he has got to improve them, what more go you need before you accept that he is unethical, sorry mate but you do have this one wrong.

• ITUNDERASHELL

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:39 AM

Barbara Kahan link to the now closed 788-790 Finchley Road . address

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:51 AM

Spoof…isn’t that a matter of opinion?

Alot of ppl enjoy the flexibility of zero hours especially students and retirees, but they should not be exploited…the last I read 60% or something like that in the UK were happy about zero hours. It’s not for everyone, but calling it unethical is really a stretch!

• Spoof

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:54 AM

jesper

un|eth¦ic¦al
    [?n????k(?)l]
    ADJECTIVE
    not morally correct:
    “it is unethical to torment any creature for entertainment”
    synonyms: immoral · amoral · unprincipled · unscrupulous · dishonourable · wrong · dishonest · deceitful · disreputable · unconscionable · fraudulent · dirty · unfair · underhand · devious · slippery · bad · wicked · evil · sinful · iniquitous · corrupt · depraved · villainous · unprofessional · improper · unseemly · unworthy · negligent · shady · crooked · not cricket · dodgy

You cannot deny that Ashley ticks a lot of those boxes, he is unethical.

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:59 AM

Spoof
    You just cut and pasted Ashley’s Wikipedia page there 😆

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:06 PM

Spoof…my I just have another barometer to measure the level of unethical-ness 🙂

He’s a shady character no doubt and he he probably do operate the grey area but unethical is something rather different in my book

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:06 PM

Maybe

• Spoof

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:16 PM

jesper

The chances are we have all been a bit unethical in our time, but for me being unethical on a rare occasion doesn’t make you an unethical person, for me it means you’ve made a mistake.

However when you look at Ashley and his conduct, Keegan, Pardew ( who was promised the Andy Carroll money ), even now with Rafa and you then add that to the working conditions at SD, then for me that is not someone who makes the odd unethical mistake, he conducts himself in a manner in which he himself feels and believes is fine, now having that belief with the conduct which he has he can only be described as being unethical, its not a rare mistake with him, its how he lives his life.

• Tsunki

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:19 PM

Jesper you might want to do two things.

1/ Google “mike Ashley unethical”
    2/ get someone to explain ethics to you.

• Tsunki

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:20 PM

Some terms to look for – “Deeply Unethical” and “least ethical company” there’s a start.

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:43 PM

Thanks Tsunki…I am so happy I have you! Good chap…thanks

• AncientC

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:45 PM

Would anybody be confident that Ashley will not relegate the club a third time, if he stays on. Twice in something like 8 years suggests it’s likely to happen again. I am not sure about everybody else, but the Championship is an extremely difficult division, and with no Benitez at the helm, I would worry about the future of the club under Ashley’s stewardship.

Hopefully Ashley recognises his own limitations, which is why he would be looking to sell the club. Sell when things are going good, because they are not going to get much better, and they could certainly get a lot worse.

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:49 PM

Spoof…I get what you’re trying to say and I do get you think he’s unethical…from the looks of it you’re probably not the only one…

…but I don’t agree you can describe him as being unethical…the zero hour contracts are not unethical from my perspective (lets not go over this again) and he’s dealings with KK and others are not unethical as well…really poor management and judgement. He’s a shady character and a really poor owner, but I will not call him unethical just because I don’t like him.

• cyprus

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:52 PM

Job
    Read your comment, hope you’re right and that she and ‘they’ are very rich, if she or/and they do take over.

Jesper
    You raise a good point regarding ethical owners. I’ve tried to raise it with other teams’ fans, eg Chelsea and City. My idea? They don’t care, so long as new top players are constantly bought and they are at the top.

The two teams I mentioned, for instance, were generally also runs, much like us… Would most nufc fans dig too deep if we were megarich and bought super players and actually thrashed the likes of man United and Liverpool?

I suspect not.

• cyprus

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:53 PM

Jib – not Job

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:54 PM

AncientC…I don’t think many has faith in Ashley at this point

• Spoof

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:59 PM

jesper

So what would you define as being unethical then ?

• Jib

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:00 PM

Cyprus
    No worries
    Lots on here call me job (it means “turd” in Scots)

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:01 PM

I have a lot of friends who are Chelsea fans or Citeh fans…well they watch them play…they like to discuss big players, CL and so on, but they don’t have an affection for any of the teams. They like to win and they like to discuss winning…it’s probably more of a social thing.

I didn’t start following Newcastle for that…is was the brand of football and how huge it was in the city. The passion. I don’t care about a billionaire owner I just want to be run properly and play some attractive football…

…it’s entertainment and it’s passion!

To quote Jock Stein:

Football is for the fans. It can be the greatest game in the world but if there are no people to watch it, it becomes nothing. The fans are the lifeblood of the game.

I think it is important to win a match, but I think what is even more important is the manner in which you win.

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:07 PM

Spoof…when I mentioned unethical owners I were referring to ppl who had gained their wealth by war profiteering, corruption, money laundering (what a lot of the foreign owners who buy a PL club are doing), gerring control on oil resources by a countries instability, keeping a countries ppl oppressed and so on…

I don’t see Ikea, H&M, Gap or SD as unethical companies…personally I think that’s a stretch. It’s doesn’t mean everything they do is by the book. The important thing is how they act when issues are brought to their attention. That’s my opinion on the matter

• cyprus

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:11 PM

Watching City play isn’t too boring 😉

• cyprus

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:15 PM

They eventually must do like the states:

Total salary cap. You have, say, maximum 50 million transfer, play with that.

The crappiest team from last year gets first draft, first pick.

This kind of approach will bring sense back and competition will be more even…

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:16 PM

Cyprus…but it’s really not a passionate experience…that’s just pure entertainment 😉

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:43 PM

Any news on Atsu?

• Thump

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:53 PM

Heh. An argument on this blog about how zero hour contracts are unethical, but how somebody who abuses them to get around workers rights is not an unethical character.

Amazing.

Up next: genocide is bad.

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:58 PM

Zero hour contracts and genocide?

..maybe we should just move on