No Player Is Safe As Benitez Looks To Strengthen The Side Considerably

The news from Rafa Benitez today is that Newcastle are tracking players in every single position for the January and summer transfer window, and indeed, the scouts have been out in full force this season.

If everything goes according to plan, we would expect maybe only half of the current starters to be in the side at the end of next year, as Rafa has two transfer windows in which to improve the quality of the team.

And while we could finish in the top 10 this season, Rafa’s long-term goal for the club is to be in the top four, so he can once manage again in the Champions League, where he belongs.

Rafa was not too happy with the summer transfer window when he was not given the necessary funds to improve the side, but maybe January will be different.

Rafa has completed a two and a half hour meeting with the local journalists this week – maybe to give them some decent news during this International break – so that’s great!

The manager also has an excellent relationship with them, and that’s always good to see.

Here ‘s some of what Rafa had to say:

“What you have to do is to look for players in every position.”

“If you are thinking, ‘Oh, we are fine in this position’, then maybe someone will come with a massive offer for a player, maybe you have a long-term injury.”

“So you have to concentrate on certain positions you know you need to strengthen, but still you must not forget about the others because something could happen.”

“In the last window when the fans were talking saying: ‘Oh, we need a No 10. Oh, we need this. Oh, we need that.”  “Oh Rafa is talking about the ‘keeper, why is he not talking about the striker?’”

“We were already working on Joselu, but you cannot say to them: ‘Listen, we are working on this.’”

“We have time so we can work on the keeper and the striker and the No 10 or whatever.”

“Are we looking for competition for Perez? Yes. We are looking for competition in every position.”

“But if you don’t sign anyone then you must use the players that you have, and I am quite happy with him.”

“If we can bring someone to compete with Dummett in January, it will be fine too but at the moment I’m happy with the job the others are doing.”

It looks like one of the priorities in January will be for a new number 10 to challenge Ayoze Perez and Mo Diame.

Also a left-back and a striker, and if we can get three good players in to challenge for those starting positions in the team, it would be a good transfer window.

Here’s hoping.

Comments welcome

• YoungMag :P

Oct 7, 2017 at 2:47 PM

Jesper

Not sure why you linked me to that little Britain sketch.

Ibiza

It just kills the mood, I’ve only ever known Ashley as the Newcastle owner since I started following this football club seriously when I turned 13 (7 years ago). In which time, as you’ll know, we have been very underwhelming and in all honesty it’s been pretty dire. So when there’s news that all this disappoinment could potentially go away, and is being reported in a wide range of news outlets, it gives me something to look forward to. Now I understand that Ashley is known for being untrustworthy and difficult to deals with, I understand that he never attempts to please the fans and give them what they want. But this is the best potential news that I have witnessed regarding this club (close to when we signed benitez). When I see people constantly talking it down I just feel, what’s the point? There’s no fun in that. There’s no excitement, just safety from this potentially not going through. Im not going to lose sleep if this doesn’t happen, but I’m going to look forward too it as if it is. Do you understand where I’m coming from? I understand that I’m a young supporter and therefore haven’t seen the things that other older posters will have seen. But this pessimism is soooo draining.

• lesh

Oct 7, 2017 at 2:51 PM

Let’s keep our feet on the ground about the January window.

Rafa and his scouts are doing what they’re paid to do – identify potential targets.

Whether any are signed depends on Ashley and if he’s still the owner, I hold out little hope of there being much money available for Rafa. Yup, we’ve been on TV a few times but even if that money’s been paid into the Club, there’ll not be much left after running costs’ve been taken out.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 7, 2017 at 2:59 PM

YoungMag…I think you understand where the pessimism comes from, just like I do understand your viewpoint.

Let’s flip the question, what would you ask those who are pessimistic to do, pretend to feel differently?

Some possibly just don’t think it’s more than a PR exercise to excuse another season of low investment. Some might believe it, but are trying to limit their expectations.

Perhaps they don’t see the sense in speculating about something that isn’t on the cards. Perhaps they don’t find it fun or exciting at all?

It would be nice, given the possible good news, if fans were just allowed to feel about it as they do, without it turning into another topic to divide fans.

• Tenbytoon

Oct 7, 2017 at 3:22 PM

YoungMag

Completely agree with what your saying, We as supporters after this disgraceful regime should be excited, if there’s anything in these takeover stories, if there’s any glimmer of hope that we can have a team that matched the ones of KK or BAR then they should have the full support of not just me and you but the whole toon army worldwide. If this Amanda lass was only just watching a game as a supporter lets make a noise for her so she does get interested. People who are being negative about this whole story need to get a life or a woman because nothing can be worse than the last 10 years with the pieman!!!!

HWTL

• Tenbytoon

Oct 7, 2017 at 3:25 PM

Sorry SBR not BAR bloody predictive text lol

• chuck

Oct 7, 2017 at 6:13 PM

You got that that right, no-one in this side including Lascelles should be untouchable as it ain’t exactly even a top ten quality side.
    I had thought that finally our dear owner had learned a lesson from two demotions and would strengthen the side during the summer, so what do I know ?
    It appears he is certainly busy with acquisitions, to his money-making business and possibly requires more, in which case his adjunct, come play thing has to go.
    Good news being the alternative would be a club sentenced to interminable mid table to fighting a relegation battle football.
    In which case hopefully some ego driven plutocrat will show up with enough dosh to elevate the side into a top six, but that’s a stretch, I doubt if we can even find a buyer who will entertain Ashley’s asking price.
    So I suggest the fans don’t get too carried away with the recent rumors, even though the expectations from TV revenues are increasing in leaps and bounds, so were the stock markets as recently as 2008.