What It Takes To Become The Newcastle Captain Under Rafa Benitez

23-year-old Newcastle captain had a good season last term when he made the Championship Team of the Year.

But he didn’t come in for some criticism from the fans when he had some mediocre games.

But then once promotion was achieved Rafa took him out of the line-up, and it was revealed he had been playing since the previous October with a hernia problem.

It takes some guts to do that and not let on about it when you are being criticized for having a poor game.

Jamaal Lascelles – has guts galore and excellent leadership skills too

But that’s what Jamaal did, and that’s one reason at only 23 years of age he is the Newcastle captain.

This is what Jamal has told nufcTV about how difficult it was playing through the pain of a double hernia last season:

“It was hard.”

“One of my main strengths in terms of football is probably my athleticism but obviously with double hernias you can’t move too much, you can’t sprint, you can’t turn.”

“I couldn’t use my left foot – not that I like doing that anyway – so it was quite difficult.”

“I used to get injections before every game to mask the pain. Then training during the week, especially during the winter, was quite hardcore.”

“It was one of them where it was an injury that can’t really get worse so I just tried to get on with it because there was too much on the line for me not to be involved.”

“The minute we got promoted, that’s when I got the operation done.”

“But now I’m fine, my head’s in the right place, my body’s fit and we’ve started off quite well so we can definitely put our foot down even more and crack on.”

“It was quite difficult playing with double hernias and for the period of time I played with it, but now my body is fine and I can really concentrate on playing football.

“I have had a good few games but it’s about being consistent.”

“And I think the main thing for me and the team is that we stay consistent and not get ahead of ourselves after a couple of good games.”

Jamaal’s attitude is very like that of his manager Rafa Benitez – take games one at a time and don;lt get carried away either when we have a good win or a defeat.

And Jamaal has signed a new improved six-year deal to stay at Newcastle long term as he looks to be a key player for Rafa and Newcastle United in the years to come.

You can never accuse Jamaal Lascelles of not having guts, and he’s also a born leader – quite a combination.

He’s been one terrific buy for us.

• toontaff2

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:23 AM

Come on, JIB, spill the beans!
    Well, we won the singing, last night! Shame about the football.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:25 AM

Jiblets has had a case of the Bobbybees and has me down as a bit of mistaken identity, still on the Blanco Trabanco I think.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:27 AM

Mitro at the world cup could go either way, he could score three or four and shine or be overcome with excitement and bite the refs nose off five minutes after kick off.

• toontaff2

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:28 AM

STFU 😆

• Ron Knee

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:36 AM

Wales might have won if that had been an away fixture. The team – especially Ramsey – seemed a bit overwhelmed by the occasion.

• Tsunki

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:05 AM

Jail have you been doing a Richmond on Jib?

😀

• cyprus

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:31 AM

On the discipline ‘wrap’, if Mitrovic is guilty then so is the other guy in our club.

It really appears that Rafa don’t like him, or maybe he’s very disciplinarian in his management, and Mitrovic isn’t the type. Look what he did to Colback. That’s no way to treat a senior player.

If I were Mitrovic I’d be putting in a transfer request.

• lochinvar

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:43 AM

Didn’t the Tax office raid West Ham as well ? You can start to see why.
    The FA need to get involved.
    Newham Council needs checking out as well.

West Ham United has not paid any business rates at the London Stadium, a Freedom of Information (FOI) request has revealed.
    The body responsible for setting rates has yet to decide if the premier league club will ever have to stump up the £2.3 million a year bill, Press Association reported.
    The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) is determining how rates will be “apportioned” between West Ham and landlord E20 Stadium, 16 months after West Ham’s arrival at the Stratford venue.
    E20 Stadium is a joint venture between publicly-funded London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC) and Newham Council.
    Newham Council recently denied writing off a £40 million loan issued to E20 Stadium from its subsidiary company, Newham Legacy Investments Ltd, after the local authority’s accounts showed it as “impaired” or damaged.
    Criticism has also been rife of West Ham’s London Stadium deal, which sees it paying an annual usage fee of £2.5m only.
    The football club occupies the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park venue on 25 match days a year and is liable for rates on its offices, shop and warehouse.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 10, 2017 at 11:28 AM

cyprus

that’s exactly how to treat them . colback on his 45k a week refused to train ffs!!
    Thank god we now have a manager who is ruthless enough to deal with it.

• G

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:05 PM

Completely off subject, I see Gateshead have just named Steve Watson as their new manager. Always liked Watson the player, met him a couple of times (including one night in Ayia Napa during a drinking session with shenanigans where Don Hutchinson and Julian Dicks got themselves sacked from Liverpool!) and he came across as a top bloke. Hope he does well in management.

• Tsunki

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:08 PM

Well a bit of suspense while we find out what email has been sent, who jails “cronies” are and what inflammatory tirade has got him into hot water with judge jib ha ha.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:26 PM

Tsunki,
    I’m really not sure what it’s all about, I’ll find out if I’m being moderated when I press submit at 12:26 PM

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:27 PM

Apparently not.

• The next Mike Williamson

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:30 PM

Watson was one of my favourite players. Hope he does well.

• Tsunki

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:32 PM

Always thought it was odd when we sold Watson. He could teach jack Colback a thing or two about being a versatile ginger player.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:34 PM

Wow mystery email -what’s all that about.
    All happens on the blog – Stalking Wars and now a suspense thriller.

Oooooh ooooh it’s really exciting.

• Tsunki

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:36 PM

I think I put “ginger” in there by mistake. My marketing team came up with that post, it went through edit and back through PR and my lawyers before it went to press and still got through.

May I offer my unreserved apology for the insensitivity of that post, it was never my intention to be gingerist, merely to highlight diversity in the sphere of red-headed utility players.

• martoon

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:36 PM

As I remember Watson could play in just about any position – normally as a defender but I seem to remember him scoring a couple of goals playing as striker against one of the big teams (can’t remember which one exactly). You don’t get that type of utility player these days!

• Ron Knee

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:39 PM

Jibgate: The blog holds its collective breath.

• martoon

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:43 PM

Alright I Googled it, it was against Liverpool but in 2 separate games one in the league & one in the cup – from memory I thought it was the same game!

• Chancel be a fine thing

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:48 PM

Must say, the new blog soap by the Jibmeister is top notch. Reminiscent of twin peaks in that I’m completely confused yet totally hooked. Can’t wait for the next episode.

• Ron Knee

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:52 PM

Remember ‘Soap’?

Confused? You won’t be!

• Tsunki

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:54 PM

Plink….plink…plink…plink…

Previously……. On Nufcblog!

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:59 PM

I hope this is not Jiblets attempt to police the blog for anything potentially libellous said against Mike Ashley, it would be a sorry state of affairs if our comments were being policed, it could spell the end of this place.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:01 PM

I bet there’s no talk of soap on the mackem blogs.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:01 PM

Or any talk at all for that matter.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:06 PM

Just the odd tear.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:16 PM

Jail…Was Jib not responding to your comments about him being moderated?

As in, he’s emailed Ed, you don’t have to worry about it?

• expatmag

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:34 PM

Fcuking bunch of drama queens……lol

• Munster Mag

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:37 PM

Toontaff, thanks for the good wishes. I’ve always had great time for the Welsh and wud wish u same..re Mc clean, he is. Other an IRA supporter, nó more than many Irish are. The songs he has sing have been sung by guys like me and many before me and they relate to the fight for independence back in the 20s and before. They don’t celebrate more récent atrocities by either side. He has been threatened by English thugs constantly but had a strong political viewpoint on his home town and the murders by British soldiers etc. He is entitled to his opinion. He grew up in Derry after all.

• nightfa11

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:40 PM

Rafa is Well aware of mitros quality.. Maybe he doesnt want to sell him, but trying to “wake him up”..and people usualy shift into top gear/start to learn and listen (cool down their ego) when theyre scared to lose something they love/care about.. We`ll see..

• Munster Mag

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:42 PM

Incredible atmosphere by the Welsh fans at anthem time Toontaff, I was bloody worried. One goal is everything. If Wales got it, all the stats were in their favour, and wud justify feeling Wales deserved a win. It could have been a different game. I supported Wales all the way through last championship as did my mates, wife etc.

• Munster Mag

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:43 PM

I wish mitro had more chances under rafa. He has ability and more pace than he ever shows us

• Tsunki

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:46 PM

It’s probably a good idea to put a post on in which you state your T’s & C’s –

‘All opinions by me started on this blog or any socially interactive site are purely speculative and any personal comment made by me about any other entity should be appended always to the word”allegedly”. ‘

• Rotonda heights

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:53 PM

mclean is a thug though, no question

• Novocastrian66

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:56 PM

Mitrovic has definitely picked up a yard of pace since shedding a couple of stone. He deserves a chance, Inthink there is more to come from him. If we sell him someone will pick up a potential star. We need to show him some faith and have patience.

• chicousa

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:00 PM

I am hoping all this talk about selling Mitrovic is fake news. The lad has shown he CAN actually play without losing his mind….he played all last season without seeing red and the retroactive suspension this year was pretty much baked up by MOTD commentators. Also with all his games for Serbia over the past couple years I can’t recall him receiving any red cards. My guess is Rafa IS trying to shake him up a bit by leaving him out of the Liverpool match. It will be interesting to see if he is in squad at Southampton…

• Rotonda heights

Oct 10, 2017 at 5:30 PM

chicousa

he should have been sent off v west ham
    he didnt play much last season so of course didn’t see red as much
    and again he missed first 4 games suspended.

sadly like shelvey, some ability sometimes, but thick as mince and always has that looney trigger.