Yedlin Says While It Can Be Boring – It’s Made Him A Much Better Player At Newcastle

The US dramatically lost 2-1 last night in Trinidad and Tobago and with Panama and Honduras both winning their home games against Costa Rica (2-1) and Mexico (3-2) respectively, the US amazingly failed to qualify for the World Cup finals for the first time since 1986.

At that time the iPhone was still over 20 years in the future.

There is a lot of soul-searching going on here in the US about where the USA stand in the world of soccer.

We feel a bit sorry for Newcastle’s DeAndre Yedlin who played well for the US last night but at only 24-year-old he must be really disappointed that he will miss out next summer in Russia.

Before last night’s sensational defeat DeAndre had been talking to GOAL about how Rafa Benitez conducts his training when he seems to get the players to go through the same things, again and again, to ensure it become second nature.

Yedlin has said that while it’s a bit boring, it’s very effective.

DeAndre Yedlin in action in Trinidad and Tobago last night

This is what the 49 times capped US International had to say to GOAL:

“I enjoy it more now. Once you start to become OK at something, you learn to enjoy it more.”

“I don’t think I was the best defender before so it wasn’t fun for me. It’s getting better.”

“Working with Benitez helped massively. I think it’s one of the things that we work on a lot in training.”

“It’s a bit boring, but you don’t really realize when you’re doing it as well, but when you get into the game situations, it’s much easier.”

“And things get slowed down for you and you see situations that you’ve seen before in training, so things just become much easier.”

“I’ve always been fast, it’s a God-given talent.”

“I just try and use that to my advantage, but I’m learning more and more positionally so I don’t have to rely on my pace so much.”

Rafa is turning Yedlin into a top right-back at Newcastle and the American is certainly a lot better than the player we bought last year for just £5M from Spurs and who was on loan at Sunderland the season before last.

What do you think?

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:51 PM

This lads another one that as improved massively since he first joined us. Was awesome against the bin dippers. Him and Ritchie on the right flank work well together too.

• Jib

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:54 PM

Benfica’s Lisandro Lopez in January

• chicousa

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:01 PM

Yedlin did his part in last nights match: both defensively and offensively. He had a couple crucial tackles to stop a couple goals and also on offense a couple of crosses that should have resulted in goals. He clearly has grown as a player during his time working with Rafa.

What the US team need is exactly a manager such as Rafa. Their defensive shape was horrible, which he would quickly sort out.

But NO, I would never want Rafa to leave the Toon!!!

• Munster Mag

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:02 PM

Is this guy the fastest player ever at nufc. Didn’t we have Franz carr? When he came rocketing across the pitch to close down the Liverpool striker, I’ve rarely seen faster. Who was faster? Thoughts?

• hibbit

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:08 PM

i understand the scepticism but this takeover will go through before January

and Rafa knows it !!!

• Toon_Tom

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:29 PM

Munster – Oba Martins was pretty damn quick!

• lesh

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:38 PM

Munster

And SuperMac could shift a bit.

• lesh

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:48 PM

hibbit @5

You sound very confident about the take over talk as though you’ve some sound information.

Now if our resident Google Meister and Johnny Know All had posted your comment, I’d have viewed it with the scepticism you referred to but he didn’t. I might just put a daft bet on but you didn’t even hint who’d be behind the successful bid. C’mon Hibbit, you can tell me and you can trust me not to tell anyone.

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:04 PM

Lesh
    Hibbit is not allowed to give away any information as he signed a non disclosure with the…………….

Oops 😳 I’ve said to much

• lochinvar

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:07 PM

Good time for Amanda Staveley and her clients funds to be put to good use.
    The profits at Mike Ashley’s Mash Holdings all but halved last year.
    Companies House info shows that revenues at Mash Holdings increased 2.4% to just over £3bn with pre-tax profits down 47% to £278m for the year ending April.
    A tough retail environment seems to be the cause for Sports Direct reduced performance while full-year pre-tax profits reduced by 8.4% to £275.2m last year.
    Ashley as the the majority shareholder at Sports Direct via Mash Holdings didn’t appear to be paid a salary or dividend. But Mash Holdings did give him a guarantee for a £50m overdraft with HSBC which is useful if you’re a bit short of readies.
    Over to you Amanda.

• Chancel be a fine thing

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:08 PM

On MItro incident:
    chicken flap = barge over motion
    rowing boat = elbow motion

• Chancel be a fine thing

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:09 PM

re Joselu’s finishing. For me it’s a character issue. I suspect he’s a great finisher in training. My thinking is it’s personality/temperament issues on the big stage. I think he scores low on this, whereas Mitro scores high on this. I know Mitro misses a few as well, but he scores more often than his talent would suggest. Joselu seems the other way around. I am hoping he finds some belief, and I am judging him on very little evidence. He may come into an Indian summer in his striking career, who knows. We had two Cisses at the club; one scored for fun and the other couldn’t hit a barn door.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:28 PM

From Joselu’s interview he made the following comment.

“Also when score you an important goal to take a point or three and against a big team like Liverpool, it’s important.”

What I want to see is the top team players saying the same about us.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:30 PM

Chancel

Re. Cisse, I wonder if he had a twin brother who swapped places with him after that first season. 🙂

• hibbit

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:41 PM

lesh/Shire
    I don’t have a clue who the the buyer is, but there is a buy

• Ibizatoon

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:59 PM

Hibbit…Not sure why exactly, but your post reminded of Wayne’s World “If you book them, they will come”.

Anyway, as you were.

Party time! Excellent! *Shreds on guitar”

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 11, 2017 at 5:02 PM

In my opinion what ruined Cisse was Alan Pardew pandering to the demands of Demba Ba in the vain hope of getting him to stay, he should have told him to shut up moaning and play on the LW where he played a great part in that 4-3-3. I also believe they promised Cisse a pay rise for a certain amount of goals then didn’t allow him the correct position to go and get them, poor management all the way.

• hibbit

Oct 11, 2017 at 5:09 PM

Ibizatoon

They’re here !!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 11, 2017 at 5:10 PM

The plan at Newcastle before were a bit like Garth’s plan (speaking of Wayne’s World):

“OK… First I’ll access the secret military spy satellite that’s in a geosynchronous orbit over the Midwest. Then, I’ll ID the limo by the vanity plate “MR. BIGGG” and get his approximate position. Then, I’ll reposition the transmitter dish on the remote truck to 17.32 degrees east, hit WESTAR 4 over the Atlantic, bounce the signal down into the Azores, up to COMSAT 6, beam it back to SATCOM 2 transmitter number 137, and down on the dish on the back of Mr. Big’s limo… It’s almost too easy.”

• Jib

Oct 11, 2017 at 5:17 PM

• beermonkey

Oct 11, 2017 at 5:47 PM

jail

we were in europe all pards had to say was i will play u up front in european matches but in the league ur out on the left
    cisse was never the same after his stint out on the right

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 11, 2017 at 5:51 PM

I had forgotten how hopeless Cisse was out on the right

• beermonkey

Oct 11, 2017 at 5:57 PM

jesper

some things are better forgotten

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:15 PM

It wasn’t just Cisse though, the whole team was demoralised when the club all but announced that it had no desire to compete or get better as a sporting institute, giving Pardew an eight year deal to comply officially confirmed it.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:19 PM

Everyone knows that I like Mitro, and rate him as our best striker. I agree, he needs to learn to channel his aggression, but more than that he needs to learn to be cleverer with his actions. If Shearer had done the same as Mitro to Lanzini, there would be nothing made of it. I remember watching Shearer playing for Blackburn at SJP and he ran down the East Stand touchline holding our left backs arm – I think it was Beresford – and he won the free kick because of the clever way he held it. Shearer was no shrinking violet, and did far worse in his career that he got away with.

Mitro is no Shearer, but he is the best we have up front. He made the target on his back, so he has to learn to be clever enough to deal with it, and for it to not stop him playing. The big question is, can he do that? If he can’t, then he is a liability through his initial actions at the club. If he can learn, he is worth far more than we could sell him for and we’d recoup far less than replacing his talent and potential would cost.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:24 PM

Ba was’t the same after being shunted wide to accommodate Cisse either…… Pardew pandered to both at certain times, when in reality the flaw was the idea that putting all the best players on one field makes your best team, rather than your best team unit making your best team.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:26 PM

Lilongwe…I agree Shearer went more clever about it…Mitro reminds of Barton at times….

…you ask him if he’s fine and he has understood what you have just said…he’ll nod and then do something stupid!

He’s a bit of a nutcase but he just need to bottle it or at least channel it…use it constructive if you will!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:27 PM

Congratulations on your wedding by the way…

…better late than sorry I suppose

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:27 PM

Lilongwe,
    Ba might not have been scoring but we were winning, that’s more important than a players individual contribution. Remy was supposed to be the answer to that, a striker who could and would play on the left but we never got him in time and never seemed to play that 4-3-3 again either.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:28 PM

*…than never it should read 😀

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:35 PM

Jesper,
    Thank you kindly! Hope all is well with you and the family!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:37 PM

Lilongwe…indeed it is and thank you very much 🙂

…Ellie is doing great after a rough start to her life

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:41 PM

Jail,
    Cisse’s initial form was never going to continue. Ba was a more consistent goalscorer over his career. Ba still is the more prolific per minute played.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:44 PM

Jail,
    Agreed, a players individual contribution is less than what he brings to the team. Why do you prefer Gayle then?

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:53 PM

Lilongwe,
    Ba might not have been scoring but he was contributing to the team and we were scoring and winning while Cisse contributed nothing but goals. Last year Gayle was scoring for fun and Mitro looked like he either didn’t care at times or was trying his best to get sent off, he was good against Preston and QPR from memory. This year it doesn’t look like Gayle is going to contribute much at all, I’m not sure why you think I prefer him, to whom for starters?

• Jib