New Signing Can Improve Dramatically – If He Can Start Doing This

Joselu was signed from Stoke City for £5M in August, and he has shown himself to be a good technical player who can lead the line (very) well.

In 6 total appearances (5 starts) Joselu has two goals for us, and he has missed some too – and that’s one of the areas of his game that he is working with Rafa on – putting the ball into the back of the net.

Joselu scored the all-important goal for Newcastle against Liverpool last time out, and he was lucky to score – but that should do wonders for his confidence.

We can see why Rafa prefers Joselu starting up front to Dwight Gayle since he works well when he gets the ball, has a lot of movement and keeps things moving. – and he’s a good target man up front.

In short, he’s a good target man up front.

And Joselu has quickly taken to the Newcastle fans who like the fact he works his socks off for the team in every game, and the fans are hoping he can put the ball into the back of the net a bit more often.

But 2 goals in 6 appearances is a decent start to his Newcastle career even though he could have scored more goals.

Joselu – very good technical player – leads the line well

The 27-year-old former Real Madrid striker has given an interview in the Chronicle today, and he talks about the fans and all the support they have given since he arrived on Tyneside:

“Since I joined Newcastle I have had so many more supporters coming up to me on the streets than at any of my previous clubs.”

“This is a big club and you can feel how the supporters love their club – but the one thing the supporters say is ‘Thank you for working hard for the club’.”

“I feel the love of the supporters and it pulls you on during the games. If you’re tired you hear the supporters cheers or their voices in your head and think ‘I will go again’.”

“I have had people stop me and say ‘Thank you’ which is amazing to hear. They say we want players who work hard and I love hearing this.”

“I work hard every week, in every training session to do my best on the pitch and at the weekend.”

“If I score, that’s great but if it doesn’t work out with the goals then I will work hard to make sure it works well for other players in the team.”

“Scoring against Liverpool is a moment you can’t describe. When you are score and you’re a striker, you’re always happy to score a goal but the noise during this game was incredible.”

“I could hear the cheer.”

“Also when you an important goal to take a point or three and against a big team like Liverpool, it’s important.”

“I felt super emotional because I know I had a couple of big chances in the last few games but football is like that.”

“You maybe miss a chance and then you score maybe five goals in the next three weeks. Football is crazy – we love it because of this.”

“When I score, I tried to shoot and the ball touched my leg and went into the corner. I felt ‘Yes! I need this’.”

“It was very important for me and the team and the fans. We know when we play at home we have one player more than the opposition.”

“It is like when we saw the message for the manager in Spanish. You think ‘Wow, they are amazing’.”

“All the fans are with us and when you go and run and put it in a tackle, you touch the ball and the ball goes out.”

“It is Liverpool’s ball but it doesn’t matter: the fans go crazy and they go up as one. This gives you power.”

“I love the atmosphere and the feeling at Newcastle.”

That last line just about sums up Joselu at Newcastle.

If he can score goals he will become a much better player – and Rafa and the player himself already know that.

That’s what they are working on in training.

• Spoof

Oct 11, 2017 at 9:29 AM

Let’s hope he or someone goes on a scoring streak because our lack of goals is a concern, but confidence in football is huge and if he gets another against Soton then his confidence could be sky high as that would be 2 in 2, bearing in mind he never had a chance under Hughes at Stoke then perhaps confidence is all he’s lacking, lets hope so anyway.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Oct 11, 2017 at 9:35 AM

Spoof
    Totally agree – pity Mitrovich cannot sort his red mist moments out as I think he would bag a few this year as his scoring record matches Gayle if not better.
    Joselu has more movement better on the ball BUT big BUT doesn’t seem to know where the net is which is a worry as in the Premiership chances come few and far between.

Let’s hope we can pick up at least our first point from St Mary’s as so far we have had diddly squat back a big fat ZERO!!!

• toontaff2

Oct 11, 2017 at 9:36 AM

Thankfully, Ayoze has not translated the supporters’ comments! And Jack isn’t talking to anyone! 👿

• Jib

Oct 11, 2017 at 9:50 AM

Slovakia U21 1 – 4 Spain U21
    half-time:
    (0 – 1)
    match details:
    26’0 – 1 Mikel Merino
    49’0 – 2 Mikel Oyarzabal
    56’0 – 3 Mikel Merino
    59’1 – 3 Denis Vavro
    69’1 – 4 Daniel Ceballo

• Australian Pie

Oct 11, 2017 at 10:12 AM

Hey guys I am in desparate need of 2 x away tickets to Southampton this weekend. Can anyone help me out?

• Whumpie

Oct 11, 2017 at 10:49 AM

Great words from the lad.
    I have no problem with him being brought in as a work in progress; that’s what Rafa does.
    I am more disappointed in Mitro and Gayle who shoukd be getting the nod ahead od him but clearly are not showing enough in training or their sub appearances.
    They need to get their shite together or they’re gone.
    Joselu just needs to keep at it – he’s done ok and he’ll get there.

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:13 AM

Australian
    If your on Facebook try a page called Newcastle face value tickets.

• AncientC

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:14 AM

Mitrovic was going great-guns until his suspension, which was unwarranted in my opinion. As happened with Shelvey, Mitrovic will have to work hard if he wants to dislodge himself from the hot box. With Mitrovic’s suspension looking extremely harsh, it’s not going to serve any great purpose to go hard on him. Some people take correction better than others, but nobody responds well to disciplinary injustice on their own behalf. Not many people would be happy campers—if they were receiving double-jeopardy punishment for the challenge Mitrovic made.

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:16 AM

Jossssseeeelu lu lu
    He might score one
    He might score two
    Joselu lu lu
    If your shite he’ll score a few
    With his left
    With his right
    He’ll score all day
    He’ll score all night
    Joselu lu lu
    He’s a Geordie through n through

😆

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:37 AM

Australia pie,
    Shirebrook beat me to it, I got Brentford tickets from it last season.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:41 AM

Ancient,
    Why was Mitro’s suspension harsh, he needlessly elbowed someone in the face just as his brainless team mate needlessly stamped on Delle Allis foot.

• AncientC

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:55 AM

Jail, have you looked at the replays of Mitrovic’s challenge? Not exactly what I would call a shut & close case. You seem to have already made your mind up about the intent though, then again, you are not exactly Mitrovic’s biggest fan to begin with. I wonder if you would view it the same if Gayle had made the same challenge.

Mitrovic attempts to go shoulder to shoulder with Lanzini, sure he pushes his arm out, but most players do when going shoulder to shoulder. It’s elbow to elbow stuff that happens regular in games. Mitrovic was not even looking at him. The ref didn’t seem to have a problem with it either. It seems fairly obvious to me that the suspension is in part because of Mitrovic’s reputation, which isn’t a fair way to assess individual errors in games.

I am not sure you can liken Mitro’s incident to Shelvey’s either. Shelvey stands on Alli’s foot purposefully, there is no excuse for it. In Mitrovic’s case, there is cause for benefit of the doubt, but Mitrovic getting the benefit of the doubt isn’t going to happen anytime soon with a lot having already made up their minds about him.

• Lindisfarne

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:55 AM

Who is in for Wednesday Worship?

I was surprised Shearer did not leap to the defense of Beardsley on that True Geordie interview, but it was only a passing comment. There were a few added insights but nothing not really that new.

If Joselu and Perez can get a goal each on Sunday, my prayers will be answered.

• AncientC

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:05 PM

Replay of the incident. Does it really look like a malicious attempt to elbow Lanzini in the face? I must be missing something. Nothing about Mitro’s body language looked fired up either.

• Tele

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:09 PM

Australia pie I am waiting x 2 in the post but now unable to attend if your interested

• cyprus

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:17 PM

I think that was hard on Mitrovic. Especially that us fans jumped on his case so willingly.

• martoon

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:28 PM

AncientC – I agree with you I thought the Shelvey incident was clear cut but the Mitro one looked a lot worse in slow motion than it actually was – it was trial by MOTD that got him a suspension.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:43 PM

Ancient,
    I’m a big fan of Mitro and jump about like a kid when his sing comes on at the end of the game, but there is no denying he’s a downright liability.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:48 PM

Just because it wasn’t as clear cut as Shelveys it doesn’t excuse what he needlessly done. Of course it looks worse in slow motion, you can see exactly what happens in slow motion.

• martoon

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:58 PM

Jail – it is a matter of opinion but to me he was trying to get his body between the man and the ball and his elbow happened to make contact with his face. It all happened in a flash but in slow motion it appears to be a lot more deliberate – I know you’ll say because it was deliberate but to me it was accidental.

• martoon

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:02 PM

Obviously I’m biased towards NUFC but I did say on here that I thought the one against the Brighton player was harsh as well!

• hibbit

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:04 PM

as soon as the right offer hits Rafa’s desk he’ll be gone. no matter what we think

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:10 PM

AncientC…even Bilic has come out and said he saw no wrong doing in the alert Mitro incident.

…I even recall Lanzini and Mitro talking friendly when the game was over…

But hi…what do I know. Mitro is probably a easy guy to hate

• Rotonda heights

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:15 PM

ancient

mitro could easily and should have had another 3 match suspension v west ham. very lucky.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:23 PM

Martoon…everything looks worse in slow motion especially in the right angle

• sing in the corner

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:24 PM

I have to say, again, that it’s far too early to judge Joselu as not being able to score enough goals. I’ve seen Kane, among several other premier league strikers, miss chances this season that would have sent the blog into orbit, had he been our player.

• Shadow_Shearer

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:24 PM

If i was joselu, i would be using this international break to practice finishing. I would be on the training ground EVERYDAY for past two weeks. Practicing finishing all angles and both feet.

Im not even joking or exaggerating. If his finishes havent improved after the break, i will be disappointed.

• Shadow_Shearer

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:26 PM

I take it there is no more take over deal anymore!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:26 PM

RH…how do you reckon?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:33 PM

Shadow…the question is were there really ever any take over?

…maybe whispers but we have not really heard anything concrete

• Shadow_Shearer

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:55 PM

Jasper

It must have all been romours. We heard 3 parties interested. This amanda stevely, a Chinese company and another anonimous group.

Had me excited must admit. But back to the boring stingy fat slug who wont invest.

• Optimistic Panda

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:03 PM

Shadow

After two weeks of practice you think you should be able to see a difference, you should tell Rafa to give Perez two months off, hell be as good as Messi when he returns!

• Shadow_Shearer

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:13 PM

Panda

Ofcourse you can see a difference after two weeks. Its all about confidence building infront of goal. That can sometimes happen in a couple of games in some cases.

And your point on perez vs messi is stupid as i was refering to infront of goal. I didnt say two weeks you will be a world beater, i said SEE A DIFFERENCE!

• Chancel be a fine thing

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:52 PM

On MItro incident:
    chicken flap = barge over motion
    rowing boat = elbow motion

• Chancel be a fine thing

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:02 PM

re Joselu’s finishing. For me it’s a character issue. I suspect he’s a great finisher in training. My thinking is it’s personality/temperament issues on the big stage. I think he scores low on this, whereas Mitro scores high on this. I know Mitro misses a few as well, but he scores more often than his talent would suggest. Joselu seems the other way around. I am hoping he finds some belief, and I am judging him on very little evidence. He may come into an Indian summer in his striking career, who knows. We had two Cisses at the club; one scored for fun and the other couldn’t hit a barn door.