Newcastle’s New Signing On Why Rafa Benitez Is The Perfect Manager

It’s not a secret that our new signing Joselu was a big admirer of Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez before he joined the club.

And it’s clear that Rafa is trying to improve the former Real Madrid striker and in particular – to add more goal to his game.

Joselu is a good technical player and target man up front, but he has missed a few very good chances so far in his very short time on Tyneside. but he doesn’t dwell on them – which is good.

But the 27-year-old doesn’t dwell on them – and that’s good.

Joselu likes the fact that Rafa talks to him individually in training on how he can improve and he says that every day is different in training.

The Spaniard thinks it’s a lot different at Newcastle than it was at Stoke City.

Joselu has given a long interview in the Chronicle and this is some of what he said – including why he thinks Rafa is the perfect manager:

“I know I will score and I know I will miss chances. It is football. I don’t think about the missed chances.”

“The good thing is I try to work hard every week to try to do my best every weekend and the results are there. We have 10 points now, it’s a good start to the season.”

“We know we lost points against teams but football is like this. We try to win every game, work hard and take the points here and away.”

“Football is football and now we have time to rest and think about the next game, which is away from home.”

“When the referee blows the whistle and the 90 minutes are over, they are over. You need to think about a new week.”

“It’s normal that on the same day you think about the chances but the best thing is as soon as you’re finished with that match you have a chance in the next one.”

“Against Stoke I know I missed two good opportunities but after this I try to think about the next game and trying to win the next game.”

“Rafa’s perfect. It’s a lot different from when I was at Stoke. We train every day, we focus on the game at the weekend and every day is different.”

“Rafa talks to us every minute and he wants every player to know their work for the weekend.”

“He will say to every player individually ‘You do this’, ‘You do this’. Working with Rafa is perfect for me and all the players because he’s a perfect manager.”

“He knew me really well when he approached me to sign for Newcastle.”

“He talked with me, he called me and he told me about Newcastle and the club. He integrated me quickly – in the club, in the team and in the city too.”

“It’s very important for new players to feel like this.”

“This is home: everyone is so friendly and helpful, even with my wife at the stadium, helping out with the baby.”

“It feels like a family.”

So there you have it – we have the perfect manager at Newcastle.

But we already knew that.

🙂

• Ron Knee

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:28 AM

All the best, Ed!

• one fine day

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:34 AM

Best wishes ed
    Stay strong mate

• estechco

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:47 AM

Take the positives from your Oncologist and stay strong, Ed.

The whole blog is rooting for you

• Expat MAG

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:47 AM

Best wishes Ed, stay strong buddy

• hibbit

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:01 AM

Ed stay strong my friend we’re with you every step of the way

• lochinvar

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:07 AM

Ed – sounds like your fighting this well so best wishes for your fortitude . Hope the exhaustion eases and energy levels improve – sure they will.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:19 AM

one fine day…I just read another chapter in the Weinstein saga this morning and when I read your “joke” (I got it was a joke) I thought maybe that was just too early and not exactly appropriate…

…I wasn’t offend but your responds shows good manners my friend 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:20 AM

Continue the the good fight Ed…all the best here from Denmark

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:17 AM

*but = by

• martoon

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:23 AM

If anybody is offended by a Weinstein gag then I would recommend staying away from this blog because you’ll find a lot worse in some of the comments 😀

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:25 AM

Ron…the £200M mentioned in that article is probably more accurate than the £380M Ashley is quoted wanting for the club…

…he will make a profit based on what he paid for the club and if anyone considers for just one moment how he has treated the Newcastle brand over the past 10 years I think he should count himself lucky…

Yes he has thrown a lot of money into the club, but that’s because he doesn’t know how to run a football club. He’s paying for his own mistakes and cannot expect getting that money back. That’s not how it works.

One also has to remember he’s been getting free advertisements for 10 years.

My guess is still he’s not really looking to sell but if someone wants to pay £400M or there about then he’ll listen

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:27 AM

Martoon…I am sure that makes everything alright then right?

…or are you agreeing that we truly does have some repulsive ppl posting on here at times? 😉

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:28 AM

…and that was not a dig at you just so we are clear!

• toonincheek

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:40 AM

If there are inappropriate comments made, surely
    they should be highlighted.
    Why should anyone have to keep off the blog due
    to such comments?

There are a few posters using language that runs
    against Ed’s blog guidelines.

• Reilly

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:54 AM

Stay strong ed.

• Mag52

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:27 PM

Keep battling Ed., we’re all behind you.

• Novocastrian66

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:31 PM

Why is it that people are so easily offended these days?

• lesh

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:40 PM

toonincheek

You’re right about some posts that have appeared over recent months have been inappropriate and perhaps a bit too personal.

Long time contributors to this blog will have noticed how the number of posters has significantly reduced of late and one can only speculate why that has been the case. Ok, it could be argued that some of those now gone posters have provoked hostility and some of them might have contributed to their own demise.

Ed’s been running this blog for over 10 years now and recently, under very difficult circumstances. It is for those reasons at the very least that all posters respect one another and be sensitive to possible hurt caused by humour which may not be shared by others.

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:47 PM

Ed
    Your a fighter. Seeing the effects chemotherapy has on the body first hand is heart wrenching. But you, like a work colleague of mine, just keep on going.

Your an inspiration Ed.

• bettyswallocks

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:52 PM

Jib…… I’m deeply offended by your last comment. You need a new arse , your’s has got a crack in it.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:56 PM

Novo…A thing I have been thinking a lot about lately or probably more so over the last few years (I have even discussed this with a few others) is why some many ppl offend so easily!

…why do anyone come on a blog and pretend that social interaction that are deemed highly inappropriate in the public domain, in your workplace or even at home should or is appropriate on a blog (just because there’s no real interaction)

…why does anyone invest time to come on a blog just to vent humour or gags on other ppl’s expenses!

What is the point and why is this conduct even condoned? Too many ppl over the years just leaves this be because they think it doesn’t concern them (or even someone will tell them it doesn’t concern them), but if we are going to continue to have a platform to interact with each other then it does concern everyone and ppl should speak up!

I don’t know why ppl are leaving the blog or even posting less, but I suppose lesh has a point in what he says in post #19. My guess is it has something to do with the above.

• lesh

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:58 PM

Ron, Jesper

Ashley’s rumoured price to by the Club might be considered unrealistic and similarly, the estimated £200m might be a bit low when the possible increases to income are factored in.

But, there must be a middle ground and if Ashley’s prepared to dig in mon his rumoured asking price, then he’s being greedy as well as reckless. Yes, he’s put a lot of money into the Club, but in no way has it added value to it as he only put it in to either avoid relegation or gain promotion after them. Had the Club been run with some ambition by people who knew how to be successful, then,£380m might be realistic. However, it’s been run on the cheap without any direction or strategy until Rafa came along and for that reason, Ashley should take the hit and forget about recovering most of the money he’s put into it.

• one fine day

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:00 PM

Jesper,
    “…or are you agreeing that we truly does have some repulsive ppl posting on here at times?”
    Wow ..seriously ?
    Only gone for two hours …missed my trial here .when is the sentencing hearing ? Just so can check back in to find out
    Apologised already to you thought that was it .
    Oh and if it’s that I am to be banished to the colonies ……save your breath as I have that t shirt.:)

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:01 PM

lesh…I totally agree with that assessment mate. Spot on 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:05 PM

One fine day…that was not directed at you!

I think you should read my post #8. I thought that was rather sincere and show that I took no offence in your “joke” and appreciated that you had the courtesy to send me an apology if I did take offence 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:06 PM

Sorry if you mistook that for being directed at you. Not intended 🙂

• Shoulders knees

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:21 PM

Good news Ed,
    Keep battling and remember you have the Toon Army behind you. Take care and thanks.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:28 PM

Ed

Good to hear that the cancer has stabilized, hopefully future treatments might have an even better outcome.

Medical science is progressing in leaps and bounds so there is always hope.

Stay strong and positive.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:31 PM

I.m really interested in seeing what Diame does in his next foray onto the pitch for us.

Just hope he’s not too gung ho and ends up getting red carded.

• EllaGuru

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:06 PM

Ed,
    To echo the sentiments of many others on this blog, best wishes, and stay strong!

This blog is quite simply the go to for all things NUFC for me. Trojan effort on your part!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:14 PM

At the risk of sounding as though I approve of the odious Mr Weinstock, just how many big stars would be big without progression via the casting couch.

Hasn’t this always been a Hollywood practice?

If being loud and abusive is now a heinous crime when can we expect Gordon Ramsey to be given the reproachful media treatment .

An from a football aspect the “Hairdryer” treatment was and probably still is commonplace in the dressing room

• lesh

Oct 12, 2017 at 4:59 PM

Essex

Can we assume that you’re not referring to the Mr Weinstock that ran GEC down?

• Tartantoon

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:19 PM

Here’s hoping the PSA count remains low and that the hormone treatment continues to keep everything stable. With everything that is going on in your life it is astonishing you find the energy, desire and motivation to keep this blog going.