Rafa Talks Candidly About His Career – I Have Another 15 Years Left

Newcastle’s manager Rafa Benitez has given a long and interesting interview with  Premier League World, and he talks about his long career in management and what he’s now doing at St. James’ Park.

Rafa’s mantra is to merely to prepare as best he can for the next game and try to win it, and we will be doing that for the game on Sunday at Southampton.

Rafa was also asked about whether he will extend his contract at Newcastle but he says there have been no discussions about it.

And he seems quite happy at the moment in using his coaching powers to get the very best out of the Newcastle side.

That’s what he likes to do most of all – coach his players on the training pitch.

Rafa Benitez – has another 15 years left as a manager

Here’s some of what he has said to Premier League World:

“Overall, we are in a good position, but at the same time, we are a little disappointed because the games we have lost we could have done better so we maybe should have more points.”

“But you cannot change what happened before.” “For a lot of our players it is a learning process, in terms of what you can expect from your squad.”

“The main thing for me is that the team is improving, that every single player is improving a little bit.”

“If we can get 5% more from each player, we will be stronger and then we can make an effort in each training session. We will be happy with that.”

“I’m 57 now and I’m still a young manager.”

“I was quite young when I started and I was winning trophies so it feels like I have been there all my life.”

“I am getting older but I feel like, as a manager, I have another 15 years that I can enjoy.”

“Sometimes you like to switch off but I like to feel the pressure and it brings the best out of me.”

“We have a good staff and I’m not worried about the pressure. You can feel the pressure but normally I’m fine with this.”

“I know people are talking about it (his future at Newcastle) but we haven’t had any conversation.”

“I talk with Lee Charnley every day and we talk about the issues we have to deal with during the week.” “This will not change anything in terms of my approach.”

“I have a contract so it is not an issue. The issue for me is that I prepare the team properly, then we will have plenty of time to discuss the future.”

“My idea is always to think about the next game, but in terms of can we improve the squad, the club, the team in terms of football?”

“And I think so, so we will do one thing at a time and make sure the team settles down in the Premier League then after we can improve things.”

It’s interesting he is looking long-term at his career and thinks he can manage for another 15 years.

So when he is offered a new contract by Newcastle, by Mike Ashley or the new owners (if we are lucky), then maybe that should be for 15 years rather than the 10 years we had initially suggested?

🙂

• hibbit

Oct 12, 2017 at 4:20 PM

15 years with us i hope !!!!!!!!!!!

• Jib

Oct 12, 2017 at 4:35 PM

By the way
    Congratulations to Kacper for Poland topping their WC group

• Ron Knee

Oct 12, 2017 at 4:37 PM

hibbit

Hear, hear!

• Bambams

Oct 12, 2017 at 4:42 PM

Rafa is the difference between staying up and the dreaded drop. I can’t think of another manager who organises teams as well as he does.

Would be great to see him backed financially…..

• Tenbytoon

Oct 12, 2017 at 4:52 PM

I see Paul (potato head) Merson is at it again, another defeat he believes. Fcuking pr**k

• lesh

Oct 12, 2017 at 5:05 PM

Essex

Mind the doors? I’ve had to get a cab to catch up with this bus and sure as hell, Ed’ll have his foot down and bevaway so fast I’ll be hoyed of the back!

• Lindisfarne

Oct 12, 2017 at 5:10 PM

12 points here we come!

• Tsunki

Oct 12, 2017 at 5:23 PM

Hic…burrpppp…Newcastle to get beat….pop….hic….who are they playing this time?….belch….burrrrp….

• Tsunki

Oct 12, 2017 at 5:42 PM

…allegedly.

• beermonkey

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:08 PM

southamptons defence has been pretty tight from what i remember scoring goals has been there problem

so i voted for a draw

• Black and white armpit

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:28 PM

Ones apiece for me.

Stay positive Ed, you’re made of stern stuff.

• Thump

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:41 PM

@beermonkey: agreed. This has a draw written all over it short of a flukey goal from either side.

Now I’ve said that it’ll go on to be a 7-6 thriller.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:59 PM

I knew our record at Soton wasn’t very good but I didn’t realise it was this bad, I thought there were a few more draws in the mix, surely Rafa is the guy to put this nonsense to bed. You can’t really blame it on travel as I would have thought they’ve been flying down in the PL era at least.
    Toon @ Saints – Premier League era:
    2015/16: Lost 1-3 Townsend
    2014/15: Lost 0-4
    2013/14: Lost 0-4
    2012/13: Lost 0-2
    2004/05: Won 2-1 OG, Carr
    2003/04: Drew 3-3 Ameobi, Bowyer, Ambrose
    2003/04: Won 3-0 Dyer 2, Robert (FAC)
    2002/03: Drew 1-1 Bellamy
    2001/02: Lost 1-3 Shearer
    2000/01: Lost 0-2 No scorer*
    1999/00: Lost 2-4 Shearer, Speed*
    1998/99: Lost 1-2 Hamann*
    1997/98: Lost 1-2 Lee*
    1996/97: Drew 2-2 Ferdinand, Clark*
    1995/96: Lost 0-1 No scorer*
    1994/95: Lost 1-3 Kitson*
    1993/94: Lost 1-2 Cole*

* At the Dell, all subsequent games at St. Mary’s.

• beermonkey

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:06 PM

thump

i will settle for the ball bouncing in of joselu again

jail

that is a pi55 poor record

• Jib

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:14 PM

Matthew Le Tissier
    14 games against us
    6 goals and 20 assists

• beermonkey

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:14 PM

thump

as long as bloody charlie austin doesnt pop up and score
    ed might then have to write another why we should sign austin article

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:17 PM

Like yourself Jail I didn’t believe we had a great record down in the south coast but had no idea it was as bad as the results you posted!

Can anyone else remember the barren spell we had in travels to London too a few years back, I think we went for a long winless streak there too, I think it may well have been not long after SBR’s time at the club?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:38 PM

Lesh

Oops. I’ve amended and reposted my comment no offence meant to the GEC gadgie.

‘At the risk of sounding as though I approve of the odious Mr Weinstein, just how many big stars would be big without progression via the casting couch.

Hasn’t this always been a Hollywood practice?

If being loud and abusive is now a heinous crime when can we expect Gordon Ramsey to be given the reproachful media treatment .

An from a football aspect the “Hairdryer” treatment was and probably still is commonplace in the dressing room

And by the way Emma Thomson was saying the same today on the BBC news.

Not that that in any way makes the whole shebang right.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:44 PM

Beermonkey

Who’s this Charlie Austin character, any one else heard of him?

So hows this for a scenario, we beat Southampton to lift that black cloud only to be the first team to lose to CP this season.

Naah, the latter event won’t happen!!

• beermonkey

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:54 PM

essex

i know we are a diffrent team now under rafa but i am dreading the palace game

• Jib

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:58 PM

Bill in Essex
    She
    Bang
    ???
    😀

• Mindshaft

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:22 PM

Charlie Austin – arrrgghh who mentioned him, ed will now post a thousand rumours .
    We have a terrible record at the dell, on the upside they are pretty poor since the owner died, his daughter had a firesale and wants to sell so hopefully we can grab a win

• Mindshaft

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:23 PM

Palace will be looking at us as a game they can win – think they’ve basically given up trying against top 6

• Mindshaft

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:39 PM

Think we’ll get a minimum 7 points from next 4 games although happier with 12

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:47 PM

I’ve got an excellent run of games coming up, Palace at home, got my tickets for Burnley and due to unforeseen circumstances have the Bournemouth game as well, fully expecting at least seven points from those three , a point at Soton would be half decent, so eight points out of the next twelve would be an excellent return and would pretty much confirm us a mid to upper table contender. For now!!!
    Ashley OUT!!
    Stavely IN!!

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:37 PM

Just about to watch the True Geordie Shearer interview, it’s supposed to be really good, I’m going to watch it in twenty minute segments over the next few nights.

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:54 PM

Jail
    I tried the same method mate but ended up watching it all in one go. It’s a really good interview. Wasn’t in it for the money that was just a bonus for him.

Wish all players were like that

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:58 PM

How do you think the True Geordie bagged him, is he getting paid, I noticed the Coral mugs on the table

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:04 PM

Just done half an hour and off to my scratcher. Do another half hour tomorrow.

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:06 PM

Think coral are funding that one!

• jane

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:57 PM

“they are pretty poor since the owner died, his daughter had a firesale and wants to sell”

Markus Liebherr died in 2010.
    Southampton did very well under katharina liebherr despite being a selling club.
    the recent dip in results coincides with the Chinese involvement but probably more to do with the current manager.

i am not expecting many goals.

• jane

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:00 PM

2014/15: Lost 8-0 Sunderland

• cyprus

Oct 13, 2017 at 4:18 AM

On wingers. One of the most expensive players at this club was bought this summer, maybe our most expensive winger ever!

And he’s not even getting a game. What went wrong? Rafa? Scout? Let us know.

On Southampton. The fans must not be too happy. How many times did they sell excellent players and rebuild, lucky to be still competitive? They’re in danger of doing a Swansea. Who played amazing football.

Playing both was a scary prospect. Even bigger clubs were taught a few lessons by that pair.

Not anymore.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:21 AM

Cypruss…are you referring to Murphy?

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:39 AM

cyprus,
    You’re another one who, despite what Rafa has achieved here are all too ready to stick the boot in if you get a sniff. Murphy is a young lad and was very highly rated. Also because of the crazy prices this summer being the most expensive doesn’t automatically make you the best, it is sensible to introduce young players gradually unless of course they are truly exceptional. And like I’ve said before if Rafas footballing knowledge and experience had of been listened to we would have had Townsend in January for the same price, we would have romped the Championship with record points and had a PL ready winger on our books.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 13, 2017 at 7:00 AM

On Soton,
    I tipped them to be in a relegation battle last year as I couldn’t see how they could sustain letting all their good players and managers go as soon as the right money came in. It not only shows a lack of ambition but eventually you get stuck with a team that are only there because nobody else wants them. Not sure if it was greed or change of direction that made them keep on to Van Dijk.

• toontaff2

Oct 13, 2017 at 7:02 AM

With our Ginger Pirlo on the naughty step, Paulo Dummeto in the Saylor Suite, Diame in the barn, occasionally woken by the odd ball hitting the door, during Mitro and Joselu’s shooting practices, we have Jacob Murphy to sit on the stool behind the stocks, just in case Ayoze is given a break. 🙄

• toontaff2

Oct 13, 2017 at 7:11 AM

I hope we’ve all been in touch with Sky to complain aboot these Sunday tea time kick offs – how very dare they – they will be added to the ‘odoius’ list – the do as I say, not as I do crew. Poetry 😮
    No bad language (piss, arsehole, tosser, pissship.etc are fine!) or wisecracks (irrelevant youtube clips of fat people are ok), lads! No offence intended.
    😆

• sing in the corner

Oct 13, 2017 at 7:45 AM

Toontaff
    Ha,good point, well made.
    There are one or two posters who seem to exist on the high pedestal of truth, decency and justice, striking down on offenders with a terrible vengeance….until it suits them to dish out a bit of it themselves.

One fine day
    I thought your little joke was pretty funny! 🙂
    So shoot me.
    There are limits of course, but I would hate to live in a completely sterile world when you can’t ever make a satirical or witty comment.

• NUFC Fan in Idaho

Oct 14, 2017 at 4:12 AM

Ed,

I wish you another 15 years…football goes on, but we don’t. Here’s to you seeing NUFC as champions in 2020. That’s my prediction for Rafa instituting his changes and bringing the trophy to Tyneside. You will keep fighting and you will see my prediction come true!