Mikel Merino Signs New Five Year Permanent Deal At Newcastle

Great news today that Newcastle have signed Mikel Merino to a five-year deal after he played the number of games that would trigger the permanent signing of the Spanish U21 International from Borussia Dortmund.

He has played 6 first team games for Newcastle.

The loan deal had an option to buy for Newcastle after Mikel has played a certain number of games.

So, Mikel, this morning is now a permanent Newcastle player.

Excellent news!

This is what the club announced on their website today:

The 21-year-old, who initially joined the Magpies on loan from Borussia Dortmund in July, has now committed his future to United, penning a permanent five-year deal which will keep him at St. James’ Park until 2022.

Since arriving on Tyneside, the highly-rated Spanish under-21 international has impressed, featuring in all seven Premier League games so far this term on his way to winning the FUN88 Player of the Month award for August.

During his time at Newcastle, the former Osasuna man has also made three appearances for Spain Under-21s, scoring twice – including his strike in their 4-1 win over Slovakia on Tuesday.

Mikel Merino – signed 5-year deal at Newcastle

Rafa is signing up core players who will form his side for the future at Newcastle, and he recently signed captain Jamaal Lascelles to a new six-year deal and now has signed the very impressive Merino to a long-term contract.

And this is what Mikel has said on nufcTV after his signing:

“I’m really happy to be here, and for this part of the contract to finally be official.”

“I’m happy to be here for five more years and I hope to keep playing for this club and to give good things to all the people and the club,”

“I have been focussed on football always, but it’s good to know it’s now official and people will know it.”

“I’m focussed on my displays and improving myself, and I’m really happy to have signed this contract.”

Manager Rafa Benítez added the following:

“I’m really pleased we have been able to bring Mikel to the club permanently.”

“He has played very well since he joined us. He has settled in quickly, has a lot of quality on the ball and is keen to learn – that is a crucial part of his future development.”

“He has made a great impression at the club, and he is a good professional.”

“He has confidence, but he is still young and has things to improve. He has to keep working hard and playing well, and hopefully, he can improve and enjoy playing here.”

This is an excellent signing for Newcastle United, and we’re sure Mikel is going to become a much better player as time goes on.

He’s already a very good player.

• Muleman

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:06 PM

With almost half a million views in 4 days I’m sure many of you will have already watched this 2 hour podcast, but if its slipped by then this is one of the most uplifting interviews you will ever see. Alan Shearer in depth about everything toon related… Sir Bobby, Gary Speed, Keegan, Shepherd, Gullit, Injuries, Ashley…

Just google “Alan Shearer True Geordie” or
    I promise it will make your day.

• JohnJ

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:28 PM

Delighted that this player has now signed a five year contract!

• Lindisfarne

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:35 PM

Nice fat contract to buy out if MA decides to cash in on the young man. Hopefully though he will form the spine of the team going forward long term under Rafa, winning plaudits and putting pressure on the ‘top’ six.

• Christopher Asprilla

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:39 PM

The best piece of business done by Newcastle in years . I don’t know how Benitez pulled this one out of the bag but this kids worth will be in the 30-40 million bracket within three years. Takeover or not if Newcastle are a Premier league team for the next five years believe me Mikel Merino will have kept us there. It really does just show the whole importance of Benitez to Newcastle. Not only for the morale and tactical genius but also the ability to spot world class bargains with his scouting system. What a man . God please bring us a Benitez lead Newcastle with new owners come the end of the season!

• Novocastrian66

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:40 PM

Muleman it’s a cracking watch and the two hours fly over. When Shearer talks about breaking Jackie’s record, how proud he was and how Jackie was his dad’s hero brought tears to my eyes.
    My dad used to tell me about Jackie Milburn and what the Number 9 shirt meant. I used to tell my son about Supermac, he can tell his kids about Shearer, the best of them all. Will there be another?

• ashleysmate

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:41 PM

Well done to Mikel for earning it, and well done to Rafa for looking to the (long term?) future

• Rotonda heights

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:04 PM

much prefer the sound of amanda staveley than this robert kraft guy.
    at one stage last season the bottom 3 teams were all US owned.

• Jib

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:26 PM

At one stage last season
    2 out of the top 3 clubs in the PL had US owners.

• hibbit

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:39 PM

yes Reilly since June !!!

you may need to read back through my post to confirm that
    i don’t remember shooting you down about anything EVER

• AncientC

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:44 PM

It could be that Nickson is deserving of some credit for spotting Merino. Under 21s football was afterall, Nickson’s realm prior to replacing Carr.

• lochinvar

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:47 PM

American billionaire Robert Kraft, who was once linked with a takeover of Liverpool, has admitted that he is still interested in buying a Premier League club.
    Kraft, who owns NFL side New England Patriots and MLS outfit New England Revolution, held talks with previous owner David Moores as far back as 2005, but passed up on the opportunity to bid for Liverpool.
    The Reds were ultimately sold to Tom Hicks and George Gillett, before FSG bought the club in 2010.

The Bindippers must really be worried that they’re going to end up with Kraft as their new owner while NUFC might end up with Amanda Stavely, Sovereign Funds and keep Rafa. No wonder they’re trying to talk up that Krafty might buy us instead which I daresay might be an outside possibility knowing Ashley (well I don’t know him but you get the drift).

76-year-old Kraft, who is worth £3.6bn, told the BBC that he would still be interested in buying a Premier League club – despite reservations over a salary cap.
    “I like to win at whatever I do,” he told BBC Sport.
    “But without a salary cap I’m concerned that we might be at a disadvantage.”

Never liked his plastic cheese slices, much prefer a good slab of cheddar or piece of Wensleydale,

• AncientC

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:48 PM

Kraft quote from Jib’s link. “But without a salary cap I’m concerned [speaking about the PL] that we might be at a disadvantage.”

It’s only a disadvantage for the unambitious. Completely put off by Kraft already, although, he would have an unholy challenge on his hands to be worse than the resident incumbent.

• ShirebrookToon

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:49 PM

Philadelphia is nice though, and Cadbury’s chocolate 😆

• AncientC

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:51 PM

Kraft “”Let’s say people from all over the world come in and buy teams and maybe they have different reasons for doing it and managing it. And you have to compete with that and I’m not sure. But I’m still intrigued.”

Yes, imagine having to compete. What a worry that would be.

• Reilly

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:53 PM

When i put on here months ago about people wanting to invest/buy the club you and ibiza went on like a pair of pr1cks calling me a wum and demanding where i heard it from.
    its all there in the blog history.

• Sav

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:03 PM

Good news. Only the hierarchy persuading Rafa to commit to a new 5 year deal could please me more.

• Muleman

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:51 PM

Novocastrian66. You either love or hate the True Geordie on YouTube but the Shearer interview was a step up. I’ve never sat so still for 2 hours since watching the Toon lose to Bristol Rovers on Ossie Ardiles managerial debut.
    True Geordie actually looks at Shearer like a Rabbit in the headlights at first. Obviously in awe of his hero. How genuine was his sadness over Gary Speeds death? Tear to the eye…